PS3 GP2 Sunday - Round 19 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [12/04/15 - 7:45pm UK time] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS3 GP2 Sunday - Round 19 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [12/04/15 - 7:45pm UK time]

• We are aware of some functionality issues with the forums at present. These are being looked into. Feel free to use the bug reports thread to report any issues you encounter. Thanks! :)

Shedboy

Reigning AOR PS3 Sunday GP2 Champion
Mar 7, 2014
Finally Abu Dhabi, certainly saved the best until last. What a race....

Abu Dhabi
Qualified 3rd 1:43.752 (H_Pro1:42.193)
Finished 5th
FL 1:44.760 (1:43.563 H_Pro1)

Manage to qualify 3rd just behind the Mercs ahead of my teammate Reylap_93 who's fourth. This is after many hours fine tuning my thrustmaster wheel and TP3A_Pro pedals, many hours on the circuit playing about with the car ending with a very high and heavy sprung set up. Have found that this is the way to compete with the pad users and have any chance of competing out of the slow corners forcing the traction with the asphalt. Problem is you lose a lot of speed though high speed corners so it's about getting the balance right for each track. And to be frank, I have a life to live so will not do this for all tracks. It took literally hours.
So to the race and the usual fun on T1. I get quite a good star for me only losing one place as @Mark Elliott edges into T1 ahead, also get the usual warning of illegal blocking as soon as the red lights go out. This is due to lack of traction and I have yet to master the starts, this is a pain in the but as I get it on each and every race.
@Mark Elliott goes in too deep and needs up running very wide, unfortunately i'm on his outside so end up near Spain, right off track. As we get back on track I've lost a place to @Eddiep29 and watch as @Mark Elliott and @Eddiep29 touch and spin off to the left leaving me a free run into T3 running 3rd. Phew, fun first few hundred metres.
@H_pro1 and @Shedboy are flying up ahead and I have a battle with @Willo closely followed by @xGATECRASHERx and @Eddiep29 over next few laps. I've got the pace through sector 1 & 3 but everyone gains seconds in the 50 yards between the chicane at T4/5 and the hairpin. Damn you pad users
Unfortunately we lose @Willo on lap 6 do to the dreaded DSC, I'm 10 seconds behind @Shedboy and @xGATECRASHERx is behind but I manage to keep him at arms length with a 5 second gap until my tyres start to fade and by the pit stop on lap 8 it's only 2 seconds. We both pit at same time and the fun starts.
I manage to get out in front of @Eddiep29 and with @xGATECRASHERx we have it out for the rest of the race. I'm hoping I can keep them behind as I see their options and I'm on primes. Alas, a touch from @Eddiep29 at the hairpin on lap 10 sees @xGATECRASHERx double take both of us and then for the love of god @Eddiep29 managed to take me on the outside in sector 3 under the hotel, that's not and should not be possible. . Damn you pad uses LOL. Two turns later @Eddiep29 goes wide and I retake but it's inevitable on his options and I go back to running 5th by lap 12. Great fun though, but, I've managed to chew up my tyres in all the fun.
I'm thinking if I can keep these through to lap 20/21 I can catch them two on low fuel and options where I know my pace is good. This was to be.
We lose @MJamesred on lap 13, another DSC, bad luck dude. I manage to keep in the tow of @Eddiep29 but the tyres are fading when I'm still 7 laps from a pit stop.
@Eddiep29 pits on lap 17 and I'm running 10 seconds behind @xGATECRASHERx and 13 seconds in front of @Eddiep29 . I've run on lean fuel through that phase which means I'm now positive fuel. I wanting to keep my tyres to lap 20 and go to options but couldn't quite last this long. @xGATECRASHERx pits on lap 17 and I'm losing 3/4 seconds a lap to @Eddiep29 behind so I pit on lap 18..... Half confident from my testing that I could get 9 maybe 10 laps out of the option.
I come out 11 1/2 seconds behind @Eddiep29 & @xGATECRASHERx with 10 laps to go. We are all on new rubber but I'm not sure I can gain a second a lap with these options. Only one way to find out. POWER!!!! @Mark Elliott my teammate is only 14 seconds behind as well so looking forward and keeping my eye on my back.
I've taken 3 seconds in the first lap of the final stint @Mark Elliott has the same pace.
I take 2 seconds on lap 21 to reduce the gap to 6 seconds, my FL of 1:44.760
@Eddiep29 and @xGATECRASHERx are trading places so I'm confident I can catch up, and if I can I should be able to pass with this pace.
@H_pro1 is out in front setting fastest lap another fastest lap.
Another 2 seconds on lap 22, 1 second on lap 23 and 24 and I'm within 2 seconds with 4 laps to go. @Eddiep29 tyres a smokin so bad they must be getting to end of life.
2 laps to go and my tyres are starting to melt as well and I make a huge mistake going into T4/5 chicane, damn, over two seconds behind again and only 1 lap to go. It's now or never.
All three of us are struggling to keep traction with tyres not doing what you ask. I pass @Eddiep29 in sector 3 on lap 27. I'm side by side with @xGATECRASHERx going into T4/5 chicane, I'm in front on the exit but with @xGATECRASHERx on the outside and @Eddiep29 on the inside I'm taken out at the hairpin. @Eddiep29 moves into third after @xGATECRASHERx clips my rear............
@H_pro loses connection on the last lap as @Shedboy wins, we find out after the race that @H_pro1 spun under the hotel in sector 3 on the last lap, man that sucks.
I try to get past @xGATECRASHERx but can't, one last launch into the last corner is too much and I cut it and get repositioned back on track only a few seconds in front of @Mark Elliott .
It's the last race of the season and I had the pace for third, my first podium, that contact in the last hairpin was crucial.
Good fun though and proved that I can compete and practise does work. You chaps out in front, I don't know how you do it.
Thanks for letting me take part and hopefully we can race again in the near future.

I assume Eddie didn't know he hit you at 13:58

Optimum4

F1 Test Driver
Jan 29, 2014
Yes I knew, but it wasn't enough to hurt anyone.... we were racing so hard that we kind of both got into each other
and he had gotten into me the previous two races so no harm no foul ..... was a great race
and thats why I didn't overtake him at that point, he held onto the position

Last edited:

Optimum4

F1 Test Driver
Jan 29, 2014

Abu Dhabi
Finished 5th

Manage to qualify 3rd just behind the Mercs ahead of my teammate Reylap_93 who's fourth. This is after many hours fine tuning my thrustmaster wheel and TP3A_Pro pedals, many hours on the circuit playing about with the car ending with a very high and heavy sprung set up. Have found that this is the way to compete with the pad users and have any chance of competing out of the slow corners forcing the traction with the asphalt. Problem is you lose a lot of speed though high speed corners so it's about getting the balance right for each track. And to be frank, I have a life to live so will not do this for all tracks. It took literally hours.
So to the race and the usual fun on T1. I get quite a good star for me only losing one place as @Mark Elliott edges into T1 ahead, also get the usual warning of illegal blocking as soon as the red lights go out. This is due to lack of traction and I have yet to master the starts, this is a pain in the but as I get it on each and every race.
@Mark Elliott goes in too deep and needs up running very wide, unfortunately i'm on his outside so end up near Spain, right off track. As we get back on track I've lost a place to @Eddiep29 and watch as @Mark Elliott and @Eddiep29 touch and spin off to the left leaving me a free run into T3 running 3rd. Phew, fun first few hundred metres.
@H_pro1 and @Shedboy are flying up ahead and I have a battle with @Willo closely followed by @xGATECRASHERx and @Eddiep29 over next few laps. I've got the pace through sector 1 & 3 but everyone gains seconds in the 50 yards between the chicane at T4/5 and the hairpin. Damn you pad users
Unfortunately we lose @Willo on lap 6 do to the dreaded DSC, I'm 10 seconds behind @Shedboy and @xGATECRASHERx is behind but I manage to keep him at arms length with a 5 second gap until my tyres start to fade and by the pit stop on lap 8 it's only 2 seconds. We both pit at same time and the fun starts.
I manage to get out in front of @Eddiep29 and with @xGATECRASHERx we have it out for the rest of the race. I'm hoping I can keep them behind as I see their options and I'm on primes. Alas, a touch from @Eddiep29 at the hairpin on lap 10 sees @xGATECRASHERx double take both of us and then for the love of god @Eddiep29 managed to take me on the outside in sector 3 under the hotel, that's not and should not be possible. . Damn you pad uses LOL. Two turns later @Eddiep29 goes wide and I retake but it's inevitable on his options and I go back to running 5th by lap 12. Great fun though, but, I've managed to chew up my tyres in all the fun.
I'm thinking if I can keep these through to lap 20/21 I can catch them two on low fuel and options where I know my pace is good. This was to be.
We lose @MJamesred on lap 13, another DSC, bad luck dude. I manage to keep in the tow of @Eddiep29 but the tyres are fading when I'm still 7 laps from a pit stop.
@Eddiep29 pits on lap 17 and I'm running 10 seconds behind @xGATECRASHERx and 13 seconds in front of @Eddiep29 . I've run on lean fuel through that phase which means I'm now positive fuel. I wanting to keep my tyres to lap 20 and go to options but couldn't quite last this long. @xGATECRASHERx pits on lap 17 and I'm losing 3/4 seconds a lap to @Eddiep29 behind so I pit on lap 18..... Half confident from my testing that I could get 9 maybe 10 laps out of the option.
I come out 11 1/2 seconds behind @Eddiep29 & @xGATECRASHERx with 10 laps to go. We are all on new rubber but I'm not sure I can gain a second a lap with these options. Only one way to find out. POWER!!!! @Mark Elliott my teammate is only 14 seconds behind as well so looking forward and keeping my eye on my back.
I've taken 3 seconds in the first lap of the final stint @Mark Elliott has the same pace.
@Eddiep29 and @xGATECRASHERx are trading places so I'm confident I can catch up, and if I can I should be able to pass with this pace.
Another 2 seconds on lap 22, 1 second on lap 23 and 24 and I'm within 2 seconds with 4 laps to go. @Eddiep29 tyres a smokin so bad they must be getting to end of life.
2 laps to go and my tyres are starting to melt as well and I make a huge mistake going into T4/5 chicane, damn, over two seconds behind again and only 1 lap to go. It's now or never.
All three of us are struggling to keep traction with tyres not doing what you ask. I pass @Eddiep29 in sector 3 on lap 27. I'm side by side with @xGATECRASHERx going into T4/5 chicane, I'm in front on the exit but with @xGATECRASHERx on the outside and @Eddiep29 on the inside I'm taken out at the hairpin. @Eddiep29 moves into third after @xGATECRASHERx clips my rear............
@H_pro loses connection on the last lap as @Shedboy wins, we find out after the race that @H_pro1 spun under the hotel in sector 3 on the last lap, man that sucks.
I try to get past @xGATECRASHERx but can't, one last launch into the last corner is too much and I cut it and get repositioned back on track only a few seconds in front of @Mark Elliott .
It's the last race of the season and I had the pace for third, my first podium, that contact in the last hairpin was crucial.
Good fun though and proved that I can compete and practise does work. You chaps out in front, I don't know how you do it.
Thanks for letting me take part and hopefully we can race again in the near future.

You did a hell of a job in this race @Donks (I got very lucky to pass you and gatecrasher at the same time in the hairpin) I was doing everything
I could to make sure I didn't get into either of you at the hairpin, so all I could think of doing was dropping low as I could go to the inside and slowly riding the curb in hopes of coming out ahead, You are going to do great in your career !

Donks

F1 1st Driver
Jan 6, 2015
I know we had a couple of touches in the race and I was disappointed to lose it at the last hairpin. But, and this is a big but. They were genuine incidents during hard racing so no need to complain. I'm simply commenting on the facts. If there had been an incident that went over the line of hard honest racing I would ask the stewards to view this. But I didn't see that.
The difference was that I knew we had a bit of lag as when I managed to get into third I could see @xGATECRASHERx jumping round. And as he was on the head set we were talking about it and he was stating just before the incident that my car was jumping. As soon as it happened he explained so am cool with it. You kinda get to trust in each other which is what it should be like. And ultimately it's a game, I do it for the enjoyment. Obviously would have liked the podium but hey, it wouldn't change my life [emoji5]️[emoji5]️. I welcome the opportunity to race with fair racers. Was online the last few days and there is a guy called bomber who just crashes into everyone to spoil there enjoyment. That's why AOR is an important community and with the right spirit and intent should always remain with that as its reason to be.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Optimum4

F1 Test Driver
Jan 29, 2014

Abu Dhabi
Finished 5th

This race was so epic, I still remember this one guys ! So fun, and my knuckles are still white lol

Donks

F1 1st Driver
Jan 6, 2015
This race was so epic, I still remember this one guys ! So fun, and my knuckles are still white lol
Oh yes. This was my favourite race. I'd love to get back to this at some point as F3 is crazy. Only finished two GP. Thanks fir cheering me up

Just watched the video. It's an insane finish with all three of us on the same piece of tarmac on the last lap. Fantastic stuff

Last edited:
Reactions: Optimum4

H_pro1

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
iGP Coordinator
Premium Member
Sep 19, 2014
Yeah and me loosing the win in the last lap xD

Donks

F1 1st Driver
Jan 6, 2015
Yeah and me loosing the win in the last lap xD
@H_pro1 doooood. Where you been. You don't call you don't come round. I'm not feeling the love man . I forgot about that, seriously unlucky.

We should all get back together and have a social sometime.

• Funny
Reactions: H_pro1

H_pro1

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
iGP Coordinator
Premium Member
Sep 19, 2014
@H_pro1 doooood. Where you been. You don't call you don't come round. I'm not feeling the love man . I forgot about that, seriously unlucky.

We should all get back together and have a social sometime.
Hell yeah! Btw I'm racing in tier 3 of the PC side ;)