Race format S4 | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Race format S4

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
Sorry couldnt help myself so I created this already :p

Anyways, like @Kptk92 said yesterday, maybe for next season we can introduce some new format.

The idea of having 2 races of which 1 with a reversed grid I think is really a great idea.
If I compare the races in the FR to the races in the SM, I think in the SM the races were often a bit closer in the field. We all know that this was due to the exaggerated draft in that car but still it made for some close racing.
What we've seen in the FR is that often 1 or 2 guys run off in the distance and so you get less battles on track. I'm not saying that there aren't battles at all but reversed grids will definitely spice things up and will give more people the chance to start from pole and maybe get wins.

It seems that this season for some people, including myself, motivation is lower than it used to be and putting in some extra fun factors can definitely change that.

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
really like that idea since most of the times the races are pretty boring not real battling going around only for 1 or 2 laps and then it's settled and everyone is doing their laps....so reverse grid with a sprint format kinda race would be awesome action!

Steve Kagerer

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jan 4, 2015
From what I've seen lately the boringness is due to iracing making all of their cars way too easy to drive. I did a L79 race and it was an hour long parade,not a single position change,off-track,or crash in what used to be a super fun and very challenging car. At least we now have jets and birds. I like the idea of new ideas though.

Mitti87

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2014
Well i am not sure if we should change the format only because 2 or 3 guys dont find the motivation. The only boring race i had was Round2 Bathurst where you didnt participate @Gunar Nijenhuis . I mean i find it a little bit funny that you talking about boring races and then you dont start a race because you dont like the track o_Oo_O.

Then the second question mark i have is that the new BSR series with the 10k price money could be also held on a friday. If this scenario gets real then i am not sure if we have enough drivers for S4 because i heard from a few drivers that they thinkin about participating in this league and going to the grand finale at SimRacing Expo 2017.

I am not totally against changing the format but i am not sure if this is the right step. Sometimes changing the format is more the begining of the end in my opinion.

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
I never said races were boring Michael. In fact I am still enjoying the racing very much. Me not racing a track that imo doesn't suit openwheelers has nothing to do with this....

But as a few others also expressed yesterday (either you already left the session or you missed it), including your teammate Chris, it wouldn't hurt the series to switch things up a bit.

And yeah the whole BSR league sounds great but that is a "paid" league and not a "fun" league like this. And honestly I wouldn't even be surprised if bar will do sprint and main with reversed grids since that is what they're doing with all their other series as well. It'll also bring an extra element of strategy since that doesn't really play a part now...

Last edited:

Helsh Brisky

Semi-Pro Karter
Apr 15, 2016
Well, with my 50 years, i really have a problem with the 60min format.
If you would change that into let's say a 30min Practice and a 10min Qually, a 20min Sprint Race, followed by a 40min Main Race (reversed Grid P1-10 to Race 1, limited gas to 15L, or so, just to force a pitstop in the Main Race), I wouldn't mind ... Cheerio...(y)...
Just my 5 Rappen...:angelic:

Last edited:

Hoff

FR2.0 S4 Pre-Season Sprint Race Winner
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2014
Well up for that.

Christian Koch

AOR iRacing 2-time Formula Renault 2.0 Champion
Apr 5, 2016
imo the format is ok right now;
But if you think about a change, i would propose we don't change the length of the main race.

We have a 70min practice session, and anyone has a whole week for training; We could cut off a little bit of time there for a sprint race, followed by the main race with reversed Grid Top10 to spice things up a little.

My proposal, if you intend to change anything:
45min practice
15min quali
20min sprint race
official laps x2 main race with reversed top10

to point out:
- intense sprint race with a lot of fighting and drama due to more aggressive mindset, maybe
- main race with more strategic options - because... :)
- no change in Session length

Cheers,
Crhsi

PS: I do not want to race in a league without pit stops and i like this league as it is as well :)

• Agree
Reactions: Gunar Nijenhuis

Gunar Nijenhuis

F1 1st Driver
Sep 2, 2015
imo the format is ok right now;
But if you think about a change, i would propose we don't change the length of the main race.

We have a 70min practice session, and anyone has a whole week for training; We could cut off a little bit of time there for a sprint race, followed by the main race with reversed Grid Top10 to spice things up a little.

My proposal, if you intend to change anything:
45min practice
15min quali
20min sprint race
official laps x2 main race with reversed top10

to point out:
- intense sprint race with a lot of fighting and drama due to more aggressive mindset, maybe
- main race with more strategic options - because... :)
- no change in Session length

Cheers,
Crhsi

PS: I do not want to race in a league without pit stops and i like this league as it is as well :)
+1

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
Agree that the 70 minute practise is too long....we could do some 20 minute sprintrace in that time...could be fun :) plus you get two opportunitys to score points so if you waste your sprintrace you still have the main race to set things right

Reactions: Gunar Nijenhuis

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
Maybe we could do more with the time we have on race night rather than just practice, however to do a reverse grid sprint I would need to create a league on the iRacing website for $10 so I can't look at what options we may have first-hand at the moment. Although I have to say that I value the practice time a lot as I practically have no time to put laps in anymore except the occasional Thursday night and then when we actually get going on Friday.

I think keeping the core race we do right now as a 'feature' race and then a smaller sprint 'reverse' race (for say, half points or something) would perhaps bring the fun back for some drivers. For me personally, I can't quite tell whether it's the car, the tracks or just league racing fatigue in general that has brought my motivation down so I would be interested to hear what people have to say about a proposed change to what has been a tried and tested format for nearly two years now because I'm probably not the best placed person to say what we should do next season!

Also, as alluded to above by some there appears to be a new BSR league which has the potential to clash with our league on a Friday night. I anticipate people may leave to do that so I would also be interested to know if anyone is planning to move on. Because that might save all of this discussion if we don't have a S4 to sign up to ;)

Leister-Meister

GP2 Test Driver
Dec 8, 2014
Although I have to say that I value the practice time a lot as I practically have no time to put laps in anymore except the occasional Thursday night and then when we actually get going on Friday.

I anticipate people may leave to do that so I would also be interested to know if anyone is planning to move on. Because that might save all of this discussion if we don't have a S4 to sign up to ;)
Same for me. As I really dislike the car I do not touch it all through the week except on AOR friday. I know that a year ago I also felt like 70 mins of practice was too much - but by now I can live with that and in fact it is the only chance that I could keep the car on track over the race distance.

At the moment I am more in favor of leaving the league than staying just because of the car which doesn't suit me. The format is irrelevant to me as it worked well for several seasons.

Kez

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 13, 2014
Would people consider a return to the Star Mazda? Just saying ;)

Or even another car for that matter? Come to think of it I've never given much attention to the Indycar...

Leister-Meister

GP2 Test Driver
Dec 8, 2014
Would people consider a return to the Star Mazda? Just saying ;)

Or even another car for that matter? Come to think of it I've never given much attention to the Indycar...
If you would ask me I would prefer every other iracing open wheeler over the FR. Both Indycars are great, as is the Lotus 79 ...although I am not into the F1s I would prefer them over the FR ;-)

In all seriousness: I would pick one of the SM, Indycar, DW12, Lotus 79 group - both of the Indycars would be quite a challenge to setup tough.

FisiFan91

AOR Founder (on hiatus)
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
The Indycar would be fun to try. Then again, I've not driven it since 2012 so I might be horribly bad in it now :p And yeah, I'd have to hope they have some forum guy sharing decent setups like the FR have :unsure:

Lorrentz

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
I wouldn't mind another FR season or a return of the Star Mazda...but I still hope they will release the FR 3.5 next season so we could switch to that car that would be amazing :D

haven't done any other open wheeler on Iracing yet besides the Skip Barber but that's not an option :D

Leister-Meister

GP2 Test Driver
Dec 8, 2014
Downside of switching to one of the indycars would be that they are pretty much dead. SM is still alive, Lotus 79 more or less...

...and I doubt we will see the FR3.5 in the near future AND i wouldnt like to switch to car nobody knows