PC - Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix [01/10/17 8:00pm] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix [01/10/17 8:00pm]

Aaron Shum

Premium Member
Premium Member
Oct 28, 2016
There was one incident that I really did not like; it did not involve me but @Chicane and @Haydn. Lap 1, Turn 3. Haydn lagged and started to ghost. Unfortunately, Haydn lagged backwards behind Chicane -- but since Haydn was ghosting he drove right through Chicane. IMO, Haydn should've accepted the loss and drove like he was not ghosting and give Chicane the position. Yes, it is lag but too bad, you honestly got lucky and the game decided NOT to take both you and Chicane out. It's possible I could've gotten taken out too. I am not sure what it looked like from your point of view; but mine and Chicane's looks similar

Chicane

F1 Reserve Driver
Feb 2, 2014
There was one incident that I really did not like; it did not involve me but @Chicane and @Haydn. Lap 1, Turn 3. Haydn lagged and started to ghost. Unfortunately, Haydn lagged backwards behind Chicane -- but since Haydn was ghosting he drove right through Chicane. IMO, Haydn should've accepted the loss and drove like he was not ghosting and give Chicane the position. Yes, it is lag but too bad, you honestly got lucky and the game decided NOT to take both you and Chicane out. It's possible I could've gotten taken out too. I am not sure what it looked like from your point of view; but mine and Chicane's looks similar
On his pov it was probably me and you who were lagging. Of course his lagging compromised me big time through turns 4 and 5. Initially I had to take avoiding action, because I see a non-moving car on the race line. After that I kept avoiding him, because I had no clue how long the ghosting would last, meaning I had to take a poor line through turn 5 as well. I simply was too releaved that I kept everything on my car in perfect state, that I didn't bother to mention it afterwards.

Haydn

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
rFactor2 Coordinator
Dec 27, 2015
I didn't record the first 9 laps to reduce the likelihood of that happening. On my screen it's all a bit weird really, cause going off memory I believe it was on corner exit, and I just kept my foot/finger planted, and I do remember ghosting through him. The reason I kept it there, was because 1) I am not in control over the matter, if I slow down I'm gonna get smashed off and 2) I know it won't un-ghost you when your inside of another car. If I fell all the way out then yes, I am not willing to risk it. This tends to happen quite commonly with other players I have noticed, especially smeaj and I know it will always ghost, it If I has happened to both of us over 60 times when racing and neither of us have ever had a collision primarily because of it. Then the incident at turn 5, of course I was very aggressive, I have no real remembrance of that incident But still atleast we did not collide. Anyway I ended up behind both of you anyway cause I got rear-ended. So karma I suppose

SMEAJ

S14 AOR PC F4 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 20, 2017
It doesn't ghost me most of the time (why my only moderate lag spike of the race, when overtaking for the lead near the end, really scared me because I thought I'd go inside his car and be sent to the stars, like has happened many times before). If they're ghosting, I think as long as Haydn was always inside Chicane and was never definitely behind, it's fair baring in mind what happened to Haydn. I receive lag spikes all the time on F1 2017, that race in Australia being a miraculous exception for the most part, so I know more than absolutely anyone how painful it can be. I lost about 10+ seconds because of it in my eval race.
Anyway, back to the point, as long as Haydn was never fully outside of Chicane's car I think it's alright for him to be able to fight back considering how he's been shafted by the lag spike in the first place. However, I think it's wholly incorrect to drive inside another car when you're not inside it already, especially considering often on the other person's screen you/they won't be ghosting and therefore you'll just be hitting them off the road.