PS4 - Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix [14/04/19 8:00pm UK] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix [14/04/19 8:00pm UK]

DemoN

PS4 F1 League Runner & Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 11, 2016
Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 17

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 14th April 2019
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit
Laps: 29

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:

@Pxcam
-

Last edited by a moderator:

Limaro_83

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
So we all looking forward to the start of the season? What do we think pole time will be?

ramma

Formula Karter
Aug 12, 2018
What do we think pole time will be?
You were close to dipping into the 1:21's last season @Limaro_83. I've yet to practice for this season, but because I royally failed in qually here last season, I did some practice after the race and went back to the track a few times since. So my goal is to be in the 1:22 times we saw last season, maybe faster, but I guess we'll just have to see if I've actually gotten any better after the 1 season! :LOL:

Really this is the first chance to get an idea of the field. So more so than the actual times, I'm curious to see what the gaps will be to get an idea of how closely matched we may all be. Hopefully it's a close, fun, and fair race for everyone!

Mcquiz95

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Aug 26, 2017
Oh man, I kinda liked this track in F1 2017 but not so much on this, kerbs in turns 1-2, 5 and especially 11-12 are fucking killers man. Hoping for a clean race.

Limaro_83

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
You were close to dipping into the 1:21's last season @Limaro_83. I've yet to practice for this season, but because I royally failed in qually here last season, I did some practice after the race and went back to the track a few times since. So my goal is to be in the 1:22 times we saw last season, maybe faster, but I guess we'll just have to see if I've actually gotten any better after the 1 season! :LOL:

Really this is the first chance to get an idea of the field. So more so than the actual times, I'm curious to see what the gaps will be to get an idea of how closely matched we may all be. Hopefully it's a close, fun, and fair race for everyone!
I improved my TT by over a second and the setup works in the race, might just drop the ballast abit though. Hopefully I’m competitive and get some good points.

Limaro_83

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Oh man, I kinda liked this track in F1 2017 but not so much on this, kerbs in turns 1-2, 5 and especially 11-12 are fucking killers man. Hoping for a clean race.
Auto spin kerbs at 11-12, one lap it’s fine and the next you’re in the wall!

Mcquiz95

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Aug 26, 2017
Qualifying: P14

Race: P8

Quali: Man I knew I was going to struggle as soon as I saw that the track was wet but I really did not expect to be that far off the pace. The slowest car on track by far.

Race: I got a pretty good start I got up to P10 in no time. Thought about diving down the inside of Limaro too into T6 but I thought better of it. The first couple of laps was pretty crazy. I had a lot of potential speed but no way past.

On lap 4 there was a collision ahead and I had to slow down a lot to avoid contact. That however didn't matter as I got hit from behind in turn 3 and did a half spin. Fortunately for me the pack ahead were fighting each other like crazy and I caught and passed three cars in sector three of the same lap.

On Lap 11 LSD_High had had an off and I went past but unfortunately the game called this an illegal overtake (bloody ridiculous) so I had to let him past again and try again. Definitely lost at least a couple of seconds there.

At the end of lap 13 I pitted and came out in P11.

Lap 18 and Ramma had caught up with me. Going town towards turn 13 I took a defensive line and I guess he wanted to sell me a dummy. It didn't work there was contact and he went off. I carried on without losing much time.

On lap 24 Kingfoe on a 2 stop strategy had caught up with me and after a lap he got past quite easily. After that it was just a matter of not binning it.

In the end P8 is a pretty good result all things considered, shame about the spin, I certainly could've finished a place higher without that. Good that in this season I don't seem to be hopelessly slow at least in the dry and I'm fairly consistent so I'm hoping to score more points in the next round.

ramma

Formula Karter
Aug 12, 2018
Q - 9
R - 14

Quali - Just kept my setup for the dry as it ran well enough in the wet, loaded the car with fuel for a good amount of laps and tried to up the fuel mix and ERS each time. Ended up bottling a few good laps in T3 or T9 in particular, but finally just keeping it conservative got a decent lap on my final chance. Definitely could have been faster, but I just couldn't put it together today.

Race - Had a slow start losing a position before T1, then another two by the end of lap 1, down to P12. Had a few attempts in the braking zones over the next few laps to gain back a position, but anything more would have been overly ambitious with my lack of pace/history around here.

Lap 4 into turn 3 is where things went south. I bumped into @Mcquiz95 causing them to spin and damaging my wing. Seeing both our views is actually interesting because the contact in front that contributed looks like a lockup on my replay unless you look closely to see some carbon fiber in the air. In any case, very sorry for spin.

My wing damage was minor and although I was losing a good amount of lap time I chose to stay out, but was considering switching from the 1 stop to a 2 stop + wing swap. Wing damage & tire wear started getting the best of me, so lap 8/9 I pit for a new set of SS and wing swap, committing to the 2 stop. Now I just had to push and be as consistently fast as possible, but keep enough reserves for a really hard push when putting on the US's right at the end.

I made it from 15th to 10th in 7 laps with plenty more left in the tires to keep pushing like I was. A few laps later at lap 18 though I make a big error in the tow of mcquiz, putting myself on the grass and touching the wall, which I'm honestly surprised didn't knock one of my wheels off. It did cause me to miss the braking zone to T13 entirely, which promptly lost me a position to @Limaro_83 who I'd just spent a couple laps chasing down.

On we go though. Lap 22/23 I pit for the US's for my final stint and fastest lap attempt. But I think because I locked up a few times the lap or two before it caused me to re-enter just behind @Patido in 1st. I got past once, lost the rear in T1, was shown blue flags, and just had to sit behind hoping for an obvious & safe chance to pass because I wasn't going to risk 1st places race in any way. Sadly that didn't come, so I wasn't able to make a fastest lap attempt or use the US's fully to chase those ahead.

In the end, this race was basically a replica of last seasons opener for me. I honestly like the track, I just can't seem to actually race well on it. Better luck on the next one hopefully. Congrats to @Patido for the win, plus @stifler1000 and my team mate @Renetee for the podiums!

Highlights

Reactions: stifler1000

Limaro_83

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
QF P12
As soon as i saw the rain the main objective was not to be last. Could've have been better though as on final runs i invalidated first lap and went off on the next nearly a second up.

Race P9
Pace wasn't too bad, Australia isn't my favourite track but without being collected by LSD High when he came back on track 6th might have been achievable.

Reactions: Jason007

alexP

Semi-Pro Karter
Oct 11, 2018
Q - last
R - 5

Short quali for me; first lap was invalidated, on second lap I lost the control of the car.
Since we had a wet quali I decided to try an optimistic strategy: SS - US. Also I started with a bit more extra fuel as usual. I had a decent start, winning 2 places on first turns, but by the end of the lap I was last again. In the end I'm happy with 5th position.

alexP

Semi-Pro Karter
Oct 11, 2018
I drove for ~1h without RL on TT Australia. My main problem was that every 2/3 laps I lost concentration and I totally forgot to brake. This happens with RL too, but somehow I wake up when I see some red arrows approaching to me. I will test more without RL for Bahrain, most likely I won't use RL on Bahrain.

Mcquiz95

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Aug 26, 2017
That happens to me too which is why I need practice. If you're already 2 seconds per lap faster like you were in Australia then it's only fair.