PC - Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix [15/04/2018 08:00PM] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Round 1 - Australian Grand Prix [15/04/2018 08:00PM]

trumpa94

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jun 25, 2017
@Ping2High mate, I had 0 laps in wet conditions and my setup was awful, I had so much oversteer I was sweating like pig because I had to focus.

1523868610845.png

this was me on the right. After I DNFd, I could actually select to restart the session. And out of sheer curiosity I went for it

1523868734337.png

Rienk

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2017
@Ping2High mate, I had 0 laps in wet conditions and my setup was awful, I had so much oversteer I was sweating like pig because I had to focus.

View attachment 45225

this was me on the right. After I DNFd, I could actually select to restart the session. And out of sheer curiosity I went for it

View attachment 45226
Oh so that's why you were sitting on the grid on the s/f straight lmao. It was confusing me so much, never seen THIS bug before.

Jipper

Reigning S14 AOR PC F6 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
May 24, 2017
That was a crazy race!

starting off the line the car infront didnt move i couldnt avoid thanks to the rain i just started squirriling all over when turning so bumped into them and ended with front wing damage from the off,

struggled round till 1st pit stop and got the wing changed, cost me alot of time, ended up in a few battles in this stint and was in 8th fighting with @Rienk made a mistake and went off lost 2 places so decided to pit, geoff had been moaning for a while about using slicks so went on Ultra's with 5 laps remaining, biggest mistake i've ever made!

ended up P12, my worst AOR finish! Yay! #MuteGeoff

Last edited:
Reactions: Rienk

t0mzz

S13 AOR PC Split 3 Champion
Mar 6, 2017
Does stuff like switchbacks count or is that just defending rather than overtaking. It's technically a re-overtake ;)
Submit it if you want and let's see what other people think about it ;)

Borderline

S18 AOR PC F9 Champion
Staff member
ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Dec 25, 2017
Qualy was oke for me. First lap was decent for my likings, but I could do better. Second lap was faster, but I did not improve on position. Qualy never is my strong point on this track, so I just took it for granted.

Start was rubbish. Fell down to last place and got stuk behind a group of around 6 cars battling side by side. i just stayed behind waiting for some kind of collision, which happened in the end. Nothing major in my opinion, but I overtook some drivers who made mistakes.

After Jeff told me it would dry up in 10 minutes, I made a stop for fresh inters, knowing that my tyres would last till the DRS would be enabled. But when it was dry for several laps, I thought DRS would be enabled any minute, so I pitted for US. I took the gamble as I was 11th and about 20s behind the guy in front of me. Though I did not think of one think in Australia: it dries very slowly in Melbourne. So I finished around 14th place.

I did get one goal: no penalties

Rienk

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2017
When what looked like a perfect fast chicane invalidates my lap :cry:

Borderline

S18 AOR PC F9 Champion
Staff member
ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Dec 25, 2017
In case someone is interested in my POV of yesterdaynight...

RichyB

Reigning S14 AOR PC Assist 2 Champion
Oct 16, 2017
I dig the post race essay @Rienk so I'm kinda gonna steal it;)

Pre Race
I really like this track as it feels very flowy to me, a lot of corners where you have to carry as much speed as possible through to get a good laptime. However, in practice I never really felt comfortable with the track, untill my last practice session just before the race. I did a 1:21.5 for my qualy time in that session and everything really came together.
I also noticed something about how the conditions change in Melbourne, which came in handy for the race.

Qualifying (2nd)
I have never had such an exciting qualifying in AOR. I changed my setup to a more balanced (but slower) setup as it was going to rain in the race. I did two stints, each consisting of 2 laps. On my first stint I went purple after my first lap, dropped down to P3 and was in 2nd place after my second lap. When I started my second stint I was in P3. But went purple again for my first lap and my second lap was about a tenth faster. But @Klauuiii beat my time by a bigger margin and got pole, congrats!

Race (4th)
So, the race... As we all know we started in intermediate conditions and it would stay that way for basicly the entire race.
My initial launch off the line was way better than P1. But I got a lot of wheelspin in 3rd gear and we went three wide into turn 1. I broke later but my car felt very understeery. I went on the grass and tried to rejoin as safe as possible. Luckily I hadn't made any contact with anyone yet. From this point I felt very uncomfortable with my car and started making silly mistakes. I breaked on the grass for turn 3 and evidently locked up my tyres, almost crashing into @PiekarzPotato . Then him and me went side by side going into turn 4, but I forgot to shift down, pushing him off track. Shoutout to @PiekarzPotato for avoiding contact there. Some mistakes later I hit the throttle to much when I was on the kerb in turn 9/10 and oversteered into @Thomas Schmidt and spun myself out. From here I was dead last, about 35 seconds behind the leaders.
Frome here on out my race got better, I was in clean air and could start getting a feel for the track. My pace was pretty good and my tyre wear very low. So after overtaking some guys I found myself in some heavy traffic at about lap 8. I knew from practice that the conditions in melbourne change very slowly, and the track probably would never dry up enough for slick tyres. So I decided to pit early and get a big undercut to the guys in front, but not to early so my tyres wouldn't give out at the end of the race.
The undercut worked on a lot of people but I still had to do some overtaking. I profited from a battle between @Rienk and @PiekarzPotato which gave me a free position. On the next lap I could overtake @Rienk because I got a better exit out of turn 9/10, and was on the inside for turn 11. I overtook some pitting and dnf'ing people and came home in 4th position, which I was pretty happy with, considering how bad it all looked after 2 laps.

DemoN

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 11, 2016
The poll for the Overtake of the Week is now open

Cast your vote HERE!