Oct 2, 2016
Round 10 - British Grand Prix
AOR F1 2017 Season 14

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 17th December 2017
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Silverstone Circuit
Laps: 26

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:

ZeQ420

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Mar 30, 2017
The last in a run of 4 of my favourite tracks and I've done terrible in 3 of them so far!

No expectations, just want a clean race (from myself, 95% of my problems have been entirely my own doing) or I can see this being my last competitive race. I have pace around here but I have for most of the season so eh... we'll see. :banghead:

washy03

Reigning S14 AOR PS4 F8 Champion
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 2, 2016
The last in a run of 4 of my favourite tracks and I've done terrible in 3 of them so far!

No expectations, just want a clean race (from myself, 95% of my problems have been entirely my own doing) or I can see this being my last competitive race. I have pace around here but I have for most of the season so eh... we'll see. :banghead:
Keep going mate. Maybe a slight change in your mental approach?

danio

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
Premium Member
Feb 8, 2017
I would love to race at Silverstone but my Christmas holiday starts today and I’m going abroad till the 4th of January so @washy03 I will not be racing this Sunday sorry. But deffo back on Hungarian GP

Good luck everyone. Wish to be there too.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2017
Hard to believe we've reached the half way point in the season. It's gone so quick!

ZeQ420

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Mar 30, 2017
A lot later than usual but RACE DAY! Good luck tonight guys! (y)

Sep 18, 2017
I'm putting it all on the line tonight I have to win this race. Max attack every lap the same as in Canada

Mcquiz95

Formula Karter
Aug 26, 2017
Q: 7
R: 4

In qualifying I got my first lap in quite nicely, on my second lap where I was about level with the time I lost the car in the final corner and crashed into the pit wall. Not enough time to go for another run, so I fell down fast in the leaderboard. Disappointing result.

Got a great launch but I had nowhere to go, so that was a bit neutered. Spent quite a few laps battling it out with @washy03 which was great fun, eventually got by him and a little bit later passed Seca as well which put me into P4. As the rain was starting to fall I managed to catch @caddiedamus who made a mistake and pass just before pitting for inters. Now I for one hate driving in the rain in this game so I knew it was going to be tough. Lap 11 going into Vale I accidentally changed into 2nd gear instead of 3rd and did a halfspin which let both Caddie and zeQ by me. Wasn't quite quick enough to challenge them. Lap 15 and going by what Jeff said (heavy rain) and changed into wet tyres. That was a mistake, because apparently the rain was never heavy enough to need wet tyres. @James Boniface was behind me and quicker, one lap while exciting Chapel I slid a bit and by he went. At this point I was at P5 and thought that this was the best result I was going to get. Not quite, as on lap 23 he spun in Copse. As I had a 10+ second gap ahead and behind I took it easy to finish in P4.

Overall a really tough race for me, fairly certain I could've gotten a podium if it had stayed dry or if I hadn't listened to Jeff. Still can't really complain, I definitely wasn't among the fastest guys this race so 12 points and gap to the leader in the championship down to 26 points is pretty nice.

Massive congratulations to @Slipstream for his first pole and win and to @ZeQ420 and @caddiedamus for their first podiums of the season.

In case I don't play with you lot before the end of next week then merry christmas to you all.

Jason007

F1 Coordinator
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2017
Qualy: P9
Race: P10
Driver of the Day: Max Verstappen

*See full race video at the bottom*

Qualification
Qualy was interesting to say the least. The weather forecast was showing inters for the duration of qualy, with every possible condition besides snow during the race. We may finally have a wet race on our hands! Back to business... qualification was meh. Managed to get up to P5 before tumbling down the order to P9. A few mistakes here and there killed the majority of may laps. Plus a complete lack of wet practice didn't help the situation either. Onto the Race!

Race
Strategy planning would be crucial during this race thanks to the weather. 1/3 dry, 1/3 inters, 1/3 wet. At least that was the plan. Unsure how long it would be until the rain started I decided to start with the Soft tires and make them last until the rain fell. Went a little heavy on fuel, hoping to burn it off before the rain.

Lap 1 (7:00) - It was a tight pack going through the first few turns, narrowly avoiding some wing damage with @ZeQ420 but overall very smooth for everyone. Up into P8. Just following the train now.

Lap 2 (9:00) - Had a front row seat of a three-way battle between @ZeQ420 @washy03 and @Mcquiz95 .

Lap 3 (11:30) - More battling between @washy03 and @Mcquiz95

Lap 4 (12:30) - Things start to get a little moist. I decided to use a constant rotation of Standard and Rich mix in order to keep up with @washy03 and @Mcquiz95 . Also with the rain starting I needed to burn off the extra fuel since it would be kind of worthless during inter/wet stints.

Lap 4 (13:12) - WHOA! A near miss with the back of @Mcquiz95 's car. Phew!

Lap 5 (15:30) - The beginning of the end... @washy03 takes a spin by what might have been some contact. I take the inside line to avoid any risk of getting caught in the action. But by doing so my front left tyre crosses into the grass, mixed with damp conditions, the car gets extremely squirrelly. Luckily I was able to maintain control but took out the 150 board (Hopefully no one needed that). Still in P8.

Lap 7 (17:30) - By now the track is very slippery and Jeff gets on the radio and tells me the crossover point is approaching... stay out if I have the pace or come in for the Inters. Immediately after that I get prompted for an alternate strategy... for FULL WETS!? Jeff... dude... your indecisiveness will haunt my dreams in the foreseeable future my friend. I decide to gamble for the Full Wets, hoping the heavy rain would start sooner rather than later. Everyone else has the same idea to pit now for a wet compound. Coming out of my pit box I can see I'm the only driver with the Full Wets. Ohhh no...
Pokerface.jpg

Lap 8 (19:50) - As soon as I hit the track I've realized my mistake. It's like a sheet of ice, no grip at all. Jeff says we should see heavy rain in 10 minutes. Screw it, keep the Wets on and hope for the best (Hint: It doesn't get better). By the end I fall to dead last.

Lap 13 (30:00) - Barely able to drive the damn car I head back into the pits for the Inters. Back on track it's like night and day. Grip and speed! Still last I would have some serious work to do to get even a single point. Jeff tells me the gap is over 50 seconds. Can I make that up in 12 laps? Time to push hard with the rich mix.

Lap 21 (45:00) - Thanks to some pitting, I manage to get into P10. Now to keep pushing and hope heavier rain doesn't fall.

Lap 22 (47:00) - Jeff says it may be time for Full Wets, the puddles are getting deep. Shove it, Jeff.

Lap 25 (52:00) - Last lap (I'm a lap down at this point). Maintain this position for the single point.

Post-Race Interview
Obviously not a good race for me at all, especially considering I came off my best result this season in Austria. I'm quite happy with my driving for the conditions, but absolutely muffed the strategy. Surprised I was able to come home with a point. Live and learn and move on. Ready to come back strong after the winter break!

Congrats to @Slipstream on the win!
Congrats to @ZeQ420 and @caddiedamus on the podiums!

Hope everyone has a good winter break and I'll see you all in Hungary!

Seca

Formula 3 Test Driver
Sep 15, 2016
Q: 3
R: 6

I went into this race not really caring for the track. I have never been comfortable here. So, I spent some time during the week just trying to get more comfy. I wasn't worried about lap times etc. Qualifying went great. I had a descent set up for Intermediate tires and was expecting to do a bit better than previous rounds. My first run went ok and was able to get a feel for the conditions. On my 2nd run, I timed it just right and was feeling good on the I tires. I saw on my I was in 4th going on my last lap. I felt confident I could go a bit faster. A couple minor mistakes only allowed me to get a couple tenths faster but still bumped me up to 3rd. I started the race on my I set up knowing the rain was coming. I had a great start and was able to hold off the folks behind me for a couple of laps. I found myself tensing up and making some errors which slowed me down and put me down a couple of positions. Some great battles during, but my race only got recorded for the first 55 seconds. Cant remember who they were with. I decided to settle in and wait for the rain so I can throw on the intermediates and hopefully make up a position or two. I was feeling great after the pit stop and making up some time. Besides a few minor errors I made one major error when Jeff told me it was time to go to full wets. The wets SUCKED!!!! I tried my best to stay with @denzamo who left pits directly in front of me on wets and looked to be struggling with grip also. I think if I had stayed on the intermediates I would have been able to keep a faster pace and fight for another position or two. Regardless, it was a great and fun race. I am happy with my results and looking forward to the next round. COngrats to the podium finishers!!!

@Soupcooler I see some of the guys are giving you **** about doing the top tier commentating. Don't sweat it bro, go for it! You have to take advantage of the opportunity if given. It's the top tier with the most exposure and could help lead to bigger and better things. You do a great job and I enjoy watching your feed of our race after its over. Hopefully and selfishly though, I hope they dont need you to much more this season.

AOR Davidben

Formula 3 Test Driver
Premium Member
Aug 13, 2017
Q - 1
R - 1
Driver of the day - For me I have to choose @ZeQ420 and @caddiedamus, they both drove amazingly and thoroughly deserved their podium spots

Qualification

I had been really nervous about the race all week, I had really been struggling in the wet when practicing with the guys and was doing 1.47 all week so wasn't holding out for much in the rain. I decided to run with my dry set and hope for the best during qualifying, I was really surprised when I initially hit 1.44 and new I could go quicker and I was even more shocked when I crossed with a 1.43, I kept thinking to myself, @Mcquiz95 or @James Boniface will beat me to it now...but no!! First P1 of the season! :smuggrin:

Race

LIGHT OFF GO GO GO !!!.......... Got off to an ok start to be honest, but @James Boniface closed right up coming into T1 and I lost P1 for a moment, I'm just thankful that he pulled out...we keep P1.

Lap 5 - @James Boniface is really keeping up the pace and as we come through maggots and beckets he's right on my tail and I knew he'd get DRS coming through chapel and onto the hanger straight, which he did so I went defensive for as long as I could but he overtook me into stowe, I flicked it back into the inside and we were both side by side going down vale into club, I hung it to the outside through club and managed to get good traction onto the pit straight.. back up into P1.

Lap 7 - There had been light rain for a while now but the soft compound tyres still felt ok in the wet so I decided to hang it out that little bit longer, L9 and we pit onto the inters...

Lap 14 - @James Boniface is still causing me problems :nailbiting:, I just couldn't shake him off and the rain was really coming down now, Jeff's telling me to change to full wets but the car still felt good on the inters so I ignored him and stayed out.

Lap 15 - I've noticed coming down the hanger straight @James Boniface isn't there, I was half expecting another overtake attempt towards stowe, relief!!.. I now know he was taking the bins out ;)

From here on in it was pretty lonely, at one point I was 48 seconds ahead :stig: and overtook a couple of cars but it was a pretty quiet race. There was no need to pit again, the inters were coping well and we were maintaining a good 34s gap to @ZeQ420 and @caddiedamus so there was no need to change to the wets.

Lap 26 - Final Lap! .... I'm literally shaking at this point, my hands were cold...I was just soo nervous... over the moon to have gotten my first win :) , but looking at the bigger picture what a turn of events for our league!... second part of the season is going to be soo close!

A massive well done also to @ZeQ420 and @caddiedamus , awesome drive from you both, well done!

Lets enjoy the break and see you guys in 2018!

I'll post my POV later today.

Last edited: