Premium Member
Round 11 - Austrian Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 20

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 22nd November 2020
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Red Bull Ring
Laps: 36

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
-

Last edited:

olavstar

Formula Karter
Should be a better track for me than France, I think most of the tracks till the end of the season are quite nice to drive around.

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Can everyone make sure when entering the pits that firstly you make it obvious and don't swerve across the track at the last second and secondly that you stay within the white line please I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had a race ruined around here by someone being an idiot at the pit entry.

timbob4321

Formula Karter
Q: None (P20)
R: P9
So, starting from the back of the grid and I saw it was raining at the end of the race. I decided to start on the hards, so that I could do 1 less stop than all the soft runners. First stint was OK I guess. I got a couple of people off the start and then was stuck behind @Andrei Ivan until his softs deteriorated and I could get through. All the soft runners started pitting and then the rain came down.
I got SUUUUUPER lucky. Pitted with @olavstar under a VSC and came out in 2nd place from the back of the grid. I actually overtook Olav into T2. However, later on in the lap, I was negotiating @rich500 and @TheTubbyNinja who were still on softs. I didn't want to make a silly move as I knew they had no grip and might crash into me, so I was overly cautious and this let Olav and also @F1R-dennde09 through. They both had penalties and as long as I stuck with them, I would win as I had no penalties.
For the next few laps, I was fending off @Simon Besnard , who was much quicker than me as my pace in the wet was positively midfield. But it proved almost impossible to overtake, especially since he kept on getting terrible exits out of the hairpin (T2/T3 whatever you want to call it).
But then, a second VSC. My delta was green the entire time and as it was ending it was still green. But the moment it ended, I went into the red and ended up getting a Drive Through for speeding by 0.02s.
So the rest of the race I was pretty angry at myself for throwing away a potential P20 -> win. After my drive through I came out in 10th, behind Alexis, who had 15s of penalties somehow.
So P9 in the end and congratulations to Simon who definitely deserved that win. No luck there, just top of our league skill.

Simon Besnard

Formula Karter
Q: None (P20)
R: P9
So, starting from the back of the grid and I saw it was raining at the end of the race. I decided to start on the hards, so that I could do 1 less stop than all the soft runners. First stint was OK I guess. I got a couple of people off the start and then was stuck behind @Andrei Ivan until his softs deteriorated and I could get through. All the soft runners started pitting and then the rain came down.
I got SUUUUUPER lucky. Pitted with @olavstar under a VSC and came out in 2nd place from the back of the grid. I actually overtook Olav into T2. However, later on in the lap, I was negotiating @rich500 and @TheTubbyNinja who were still on softs. I didn't want to make a silly move as I knew they had no grip and might crash into me, so I was overly cautious and this let Olav and also @F1R-dennde09 through. They both had penalties and as long as I stuck with them, I would win as I had no penalties.
For the next few laps, I was fending off @Simon Besnard , who was much quicker than me as my pace in the wet was positively midfield. But it proved almost impossible to overtake, especially since he kept on getting terrible exits out of the hairpin (T2/T3 whatever you want to call it).
But then, a second VSC. My delta was green the entire time and as it was ending it was still green. But the moment it ended, I went into the red and ended up getting a Drive Through for speeding by 0.02s.
So the rest of the race I was pretty angry at myself for throwing away a potential P20 -> win. After my drive through I came out in 10th, behind Alexis, who had 15s of penalties somehow.
So P9 in the end and congratulations to Simon who definitely deserved that win. No luck there, just top of our league skill.
For the hairpins I thought you was taken the outside on purpose because there was no grip at the exit in the inside :-D. But yeah nice remontada bro

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Not a good race for me invalidated my best qualy lap at the final corner and all my other laps were **** so I was only 13th and once you are back there its basically impossible to make up ground in the race unless you get very lucky.

Decided to start on softs as the game said the rain wouldn't come until late and I didn't want to use hards I kept asking Jeff about the weather but it seemed pretty random until lap 10 when he said 5 minutes and then lap 15 when it said it would rain at any moment by this time though my tyres were in bad shape so remembering what Hamilton did in Germany 2018 I went in for new softs and of course it started to rain before I got to turn 3 on my outlap so I was just praying that it would stay light for a few laps as I knew the people who had stayed out would struggle and luckily it did so in the next 4 laps I made up almost all the time I lost in the pits and then got a stroke of luck as I committed to the pitlane for inters on lap 19 the VSC was deployed so I got a cheap pitstop which allowed me to still be in the fight for points.

After everyone was on inters I spent the entire stint following @Alexis and @timbob4321 but I could see Alexis had 15 seconds of penalties and @Sneaky24-7Ninja behind wasn't catching me until the final 2 laps when I eased off a little so I got another 10th place my 4th in a row, when I said before Baku I would be happy with a point I meant just in that race not the entire season lol.

Congrats @Simon Besnard & @F1R-dennde09 on 1st and 2nd and @Bankai_Bullett back on the podium after the **** show of France.

My best track next but knowing my season it will rain and I'll be 10th again.

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Well then... that was unexpected given the fact that I didn't even know if I'd be racing because I wasn't receiving invite notifications.
Need to find out what happened there, but was able to join on my PS5 without the invite after Don opened the lobby up, so PHEW!

Q: P6 - 1:03.204 (S)

Could've been higher up if I hadn't messed up the final sector in such a spectacular fashion, but hey ho...

R: P3

Got a good start for a change, after having poor starts the last few races... and then promptly got forced onto the curb at T1 (immediate warning) by Vlarichello, which was nice of him.
He kept that position around the outside of T2 after I found out that the 100m board had been killed, therefore my braking point was messed up for the first 4 or 5 laps.

After that, it settled down pretty quick and I just went about saying in the DRS of @rich500, who'd not had the best of starts to his race... but we were P4/P5 respectively and it stayed like that for the first 5 or 6 laps until @GTX_23x decided he'd found 8th gear and blitzed past us both in fairly short order.

Stayed pretty quiet for the rest of the stint after that... just managing my pace, tyres (had ZERO idea about my tyre wear), the gap to @Sneaky24-7Ninja behind and trying to figure out the strat on the fly because of the inbound weather.
Decided the best idea would be to put the M on at the stop, since I'd be okay if it didn't rain for a while OR if it rained but never actually got wet. I've had a race or two like that before.

I was thinking about all of this when I was greeted with the image of GTX attempting to commit seppuku in the middle sector on my in-lap...

So, pit-stop complete and I set about making the most of the M just in case I only got a few laps on them... which involved overtaking 4 cars in one lap. Admittedly, @ricardo91 did decided that the barrier was more interesting, but still a fun part of the race.

Pit again on L19 for I after it became apparent that it was actually, gonna be wet.
Got MASSIVELY lucky with the VSC, effectively giving me a free pitstop as it was triggered as I entered the pitlane and it ended as I left the pitlane.
Came out neck and neck with @Sander van Riel and had a bit of a drag race up the hill, but I was a bit better on the brakes into T2 and better out of the corner.

So, P6 secured, I went about chasing down Sneaky, who seemed to have suffered a serious lack of grip problem... and a Drive-Thru to boot.
Made my way past him out of T7 after he had a poor exit and went chasing after the Top 4.

Caught @timbob4321, who was having a mega drive it seemed until I noticed he too had a Drive-Thru, on L26... and he made me work for the overtake, eventually succumbing on L27 into T2.

After that, I caught @F1R-dennde09 and that was it. I just didn't have the outright pace to overtake so I just tried to pressure him into a mistake, which didn't pan out.
Got lucky with @olavstar having as many penalties as he did, so a podium finish is an excellent result all considered, ESPECIALLY after the clusterfuck in France.

Unlucky about the other Renault's race turning to trash, since he definitely had the pace for a solid Top 5 result. Better luck at Silverstone fella.

@TheTubbyNinja binning his race in the most spectacular way was the most surprising element of the evening.... I was quite shocked to see him DNF at a track I thought he'd be fairly solid at.

Well done to @Simon Besnard on another win... apparently, you've figured out your season now.
And to Dennde for P2.

Silverstone next... traditionally NOT a good track for me. Guess we'll see.

Simon Besnard

Formula Karter
Q :1
R: 1

Really great lap in qualifications, my PB that the setup I had. Poor start in race @F1R-dennde09 overtook me quite quickly but luckily I gained back the lead just a little bit after.

Controlling my pace I waited the rain but my tyres were at the limit lap17 and I was scared of a puncture so I decided to pit 1 lap earlier than anyone else. Though at this stage of the race the inters were rubbish and I think I lost atleast 10 seconds by doing that.

Coming out behind @timbob4321 I was quite fuming tbh as I was way faster but it was impossible to overtake in wet conditions. I was lucky I managed well my VSC exit and overtook him in the last corner round the outside (scary as hell).

I was closing quite rapidly on @olavstar and @F1R-dennde09 and after the two of them collided I gained 2nd and decided for the rest of the race to just chill behind Olav as he had 12seconds of penalty.

Nice race overall, still some major things to change in my driving in the race but yeah so far so good.

Gg to @F1R-dennde09 and @Bankai_Bullett

Next stop Silverstone where I hope that @TheTubbyNinja will finally have a battle on track to discover who will be the championship leader for this 2nd part of the season

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Q: 17th. Underperformed but my PB wouldn’t have even got me into the top 10

R: 7th. Was gonna start on mediums but chose Hards at the last second and boy was I glad that I did. Kept myself out of trouble for the opening part of the race. Just minded my business as I knew the Hards would comfortably get me to the rain. Mainly spent my time following the two Ferrari’s @Oner Schumacher and @alexP until their tyres started to die. It was quite satisfying cruising past those who were on dead softs. Also I must thank my teammate @Alexis for letting me through when he was on dead softs. Didn’t fancy going through the penultimate corner side by side. Anyway, I boxed for inters on lap 19? I think. VSC came out just as I entered the pits which gained me more time. From there i was untroubled during the inters stint until @silver-sponge cruised up behind me. I was on two warnings but got my third late on which basically gifted him P6. He eventually passed me and I settled for P7 which I’ll gladly take considering I wasn’t expecting anything here. Onto Silverstone. Video will be up later

olavstar

Formula Karter
Had a really poor qualifying, which put me p11. Started on the mediums to then switch to the inters. In the first part of the race I really struggled against all the soft runners. Eventually around lap 13/14 I felt I had a huge advantage due to soft runners needing to pit or have 0 grip. I then find myself in the lead of the race and pit for inters, got a bit lucky with a VSC and came out in p3 behind @TheTubbyNinja and @rich500 who both were still on slicks. Unfortunately I just wasn't able to keep the car between the white lines and I got 12s of penalties. Also didn't quite have the confidence in the wet this time.

Highlights:

TheTubbyNinja

F1 Champion
Here it is the perspective you’ve all been waiting for... TheTubbyNinja disaster-class.

Bottled qualifying which is becoming a regular occurrence meaning I started 8th at a track where you’re basically stuck in position at least until the first pitstop.

Held position for the first 8 laps before spinning in spectacular fashion out of the fast chicane. Used Overtake on a kerb that had never unsettled my car in any way before whilst my car had been straight and full throttle for far long enough to not cause such a catastrophic result. Probably could’ve corrected the spin but I had already exited the corner in my mind and was looking at my MFD so didn’t even notice it had happened.

Pitted for Softs to go until the rain which would’ve been a great strategy had it not been preceded by a spin as lots of Soft runners came out not far ahead of me on different compound dry tyres. Eventually had to pit for Intermediates and ultimately couldn’t do any better than about 15th (or something like that) so pitted for wets at the end just in case Jeff was being an idiot and not telling anyone about it. Definitely wasn’t the correct tyre but hardly mattered. Luckily I binned it with a few laps to go so didn’t have to drive anymore but sort of annoyed I hadn’t accidentally binned it earlier to help my teammate out by causing a Safety car.

one of those races that makes you question why you even bother doing league racing, but I intend to remind myself at Silverstone. I’m not giving up this championship lead without a fight and though I don’t really think I can compete with @Simon Besnard when he has clean races, you never know what can happen.

McLaren Team Radio and Race Highlights:

Simon Besnard

Formula Karter
Here it is the perspective you’ve all been waiting for... TheTubbyNinja disaster-class.

Bottled qualifying which is becoming a regular occurrence meaning I started 8th at a track where you’re basically stuck in position at least until the first pitstop.

Held position for the first 8 laps before spinning in spectacular fashion out of the fast chicane. Used Overtake on a kerb that had never unsettled my car in any way before whilst my car had been straight and full throttle for far long enough to not cause such a catastrophic result. Probably could’ve corrected the spin but I had already exited the corner in my mind and was looking at my MFD so didn’t even notice it had happened.

Pitted for Softs to go until the rain which would’ve been a great strategy had it not been preceded by a spin as lots of Soft runners came out not far ahead of me on different compound dry tyres. Eventually had to pit for Intermediates and ultimately couldn’t do any better than about 15th (or something like that) so pitted for wets at the end just in case Jeff was being an idiot and not telling anyone about it. Definitely wasn’t the correct tyre but hardly mattered. Luckily I binned it with a few laps to go so didn’t have to drive anymore but sort of annoyed I hadn’t accidentally binned it earlier to help my teammate out by causing a Safety car.

one of those races that makes you question why you even bother doing league racing, but I intend to remind myself at Silverstone. I’m not giving up this championship lead without a fight and though I don’t really think I can compete with @Simon Besnard when he has clean races, you never know what can happen.

McLaren Team Radio and Race Highlights:

Hey bro don't give up the season has still a lot to offer and I need my championship rival to motivate me.