Mar 30, 2018
Round 11 - German Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 16

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 6th January 2019
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Hockenheimring
Laps: 34

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
-

Tactician109

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 30, 2018
Alright boys, hopefully all of you had a nice break but now it's back to business. Germany is our next battleground and I gotta say that I like the track for its flow. I think Hockenheim suits the pad quite well and pace feels good in practice. It's most likely going to be a race similar to Austria where it's very difficult to break DRS and strategy comes into play. Hoping for a good result to start 2019 on the right foot.

Reactions: Hannes Herboth

Casper24-F1

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 20, 2018
I hope y'all had a nice break and I'm definitely looking forward to start the second half of the season. With 20 drivers and 2 reserves we have a good chance of a full grid every race from now on :D

• Faff
Reactions: Tactician109

Sean FAP Belkom

S16 AOR PS4 F2 Champion
Jul 4, 2018
Germany, home of dawidos two favourite people (according to reliable sources) the man in the Williams and the german leader back in the 40's. This track is shite with tyre temps and corner cutting can Suck my Dutch lovely meat balls. Lets see if i can penetrate this track

Harinioarg

PS4 F1 Assist Leagues Overseer
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Jan 25, 2018
Reactions: Tactician109

Tactician109

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 30, 2018
Germany Gratification

Qualifying Position: 7th
Finishing Position: 3rd

Back from a Xmas break, the German GP certainly had some entertaining action throughout the race. However, as @OTG mentioned in the stream, my own race went very much under the radar which has become a trademark feature for my season so far. Overall I must be happy with the result, even more so when you consider the fact that all the title contenders finished behind me.

Qualifying was already an interesting one for a few reasons. Firstly the rain that happened in the last minutes of the session caught people off-guard which definitely threw a spanner in the works for some. Meanwhile, I had a DRS issue during qualifying where it was stuck open and this meant a loss of downforce. It wasn't that big of an issue though as basically half of Hockenheim is DRS anyway so I managed to pull off a reasonable lap which got me up to P7.

The race began in a cautious manner but I managed to just about hold on to my position until lap 3 when I noticed my DRS wasn't working. Apparently most drivers did have similar issues as well so in retrospect, I can't really put too much blame for that but nevertheless, it was quite annoying.

Soon enough the drivers behind me got the better of me on the long straight because I had no DRS to defend myself with and my sector 1 was quite bad throughout the race which left with no slipstream either. Things didn't look good at the early stages of the race but I kept my head down.

Luckily, on lap 8 the issue got fixed and I was still in the leading pack of drivers who were all on the Soft tyre like myself. I had thought after the race that the issue cost me a lot of positions but I only lost a few places due to that after reviewing the race.

For the rest of the stint, it was more or less a case of maintaining position and gaining a rhythm that was missing in the early phase of the race. There were a few battles with other drivers but it was all very respectful and clean. Additionally, I had used my normal internet for this race and could clearly tell a difference between NAT 2 and NAT 3 internet when it came to battling other drivers.

At the end of lap 13, I went to the pits and I was immediately in the clutches of both Sauber drivers of @xTheHEaglex and @Vettel_Racer_5 who had pitted a few laps before so they were swarming me. I didn't put up too much of a fight at that point and decided to follow them and look for opportunities later on in the race. This decision eventually paid dividends in the latter stages of the race as I was able to save some fuel and ERS behind the Sauber boys while maintaining good pace.

My mentality for this specific race was to avoid penalties and accidents at all costs, even if it meant compromising my pace at some points. Hockenheim is a tight track with a few tricky corners where incidents and corner cut penalties are likely to happen so I hedged my bets on those things happening during the race. In the end, I was right as there were a few accidents in front of me, most notably the one between @leefindlay04 and @Casper24-F1 who most likely would have finished in front of me without their incident.

At one point during the Medium stint, @ximNicoF1 was beginning to struggle on his tyres and this allowed Eagle, Vettel and myself to catch up to him. This is where I realized an opportunity for a podium so for the first time in the race, I got my elbows out and went for it. We were 3-wide with Vettel and Nico going into the hairpin which admittedly was a butt-clenching moment but I just about managed to gain the best traction out of us all and made the move on them. This elevated me up to 4th with Eagle about 2.5 seconds ahead of me.

For the last 10 laps, the podium fight was on with Eagle who was on slightly more worn tyres than I was and also had one extra 3-second time penalty compared to me. It's probably fair to say the both of us were pushing like crazy but my tyre advantage meant that I was able to keep the gap under 3 seconds.

I let my teammate @kieranrp through in the last lap of the race as he was on much better tyres but in the end, it didn't make that much of a difference for either of us with time penalties in play. In the end, I crossed the line P5 on track but with the penalties Prenta and Eagle had, I was elevated to P3 for a solid podium finish.

Congrats to the winners as always. @Sean FAP Belkom seemed to have a uncharacteristic race of bad fortunes so the title fight may be on for now. Next up is Hungary, which is considered a "home race" for Finnish drivers so maintaining this momentum for the next race is crucial. See ya there!

Sean FAP Belkom

S16 AOR PS4 F2 Champion
Jul 4, 2018
Title is decided so you can FAP my
Germany Gratification

Qualifying Position: 7th
Finishing Position: 3rd

Back from a Xmas break, the German GP certainly had some entertaining action throughout the race. However, as @OTG mentioned in the stream, my own race went very much under the radar which has become a trademark feature for my season so far. Overall I must be happy with the result, even more so when you consider the fact that all the title contenders finished behind me.

Qualifying was already an interesting one for a few reasons. Firstly the rain that happened in the last minutes of the session caught people off-guard which definitely threw a spanner in the works for some. Meanwhile, I had a DRS issue during qualifying where it was stuck open and this meant a loss of downforce. It wasn't that big of an issue though as basically half of Hockenheim is DRS anyway so I managed to pull off a reasonable lap which got me up to P7.

The race began in a cautious manner but I managed to just about hold on to my position until lap 3 when I noticed my DRS wasn't working. Apparently most drivers did have similar issues as well so in retrospect, I can't really put too much blame for that but nevertheless, it was quite annoying.

Soon enough the drivers behind me got the better of me on the long straight because I had no DRS to defend myself with and my sector 1 was quite bad throughout the race which left with no slipstream either. Things didn't look good at the early stages of the race but I kept my head down.

Luckily, on lap 8 the issue got fixed and I was still in the leading pack of drivers who were all on the Soft tyre like myself. I had thought after the race that the issue cost me a lot of positions but I only lost a few places due to that after reviewing the race.

For the rest of the stint, it was more or less a case of maintaining position and gaining a rhythm that was missing in the early phase of the race. There were a few battles with other drivers but it was all very respectful and clean. Additionally, I had used my normal internet for this race and could clearly tell a difference between NAT 2 and NAT 3 internet when it came to battling other drivers.

At the end of lap 13, I went to the pits and I was immediately in the clutches of both Sauber drivers of @xTheHEaglex and @Vettel_Racer_5 who had pitted a few laps before so they were swarming me. I didn't put up too much of a fight at that point and decided to follow them and look for opportunities later on in the race. This decision eventually paid dividends in the latter stages of the race as I was able to save some fuel and ERS behind the Sauber boys while maintaining good pace.

My mentality for this specific race was to avoid penalties and accidents at all costs, even if it meant compromising my pace at some points. Hockenheim is a tight track with a few tricky corners where incidents and corner cut penalties are likely to happen so I hedged my bets on those things happening during the race. In the end, I was right as there were a few accidents in front of me, most notably the one between @leefindlay04 and @Casper24-F1 who most likely would have finished in front of me without their incident.

At one point during the Medium stint, @ximNicoF1 was beginning to struggle on his tyres and this allowed Eagle, Vettel and myself to catch up to him. This is where I realized an opportunity for a podium so for the first time in the race, I got my elbows out and went for it. We were 3-wide with Vettel and Nico going into the hairpin which admittedly was a butt-clenching moment but I just about managed to gain the best traction out of us all and made the move on them. This elevated me up to 4th with Eagle about 2.5 seconds ahead of me.

For the last 10 laps, the podium fight was on with Eagle who was on slightly more worn tyres than I was and also had one extra 3-second time penalty compared to me. It's probably fair to say the both of us were pushing like crazy but my tyre advantage meant that I was able to keep the gap under 3 seconds.

I let my teammate @kieranrp through in the last lap of the race as he was on much better tyres but in the end, it didn't make that much of a difference for either of us with time penalties in play. In the end, I crossed the line P5 on track but with the penalties Prenta and Eagle had, I was elevated to P3 for a solid podium finish.

Congrats to the winners as always. @Sean FAP Belkom seemed to have a uncharacteristic race of bad fortunes so the title fight may be on for now. Next up is Hungary, which is considered a "home race" for Finnish drivers so maintaining this momentum for the next race is crucial. See ya there!
Title is decided so you can FAP my dinner

Reactions: BIGPRENTA