Round 12 - British Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 20

7VFK7W5.png

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 29th November 2020
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Silverstone Circuit
Laps: 26

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

1606296386527.png

Confirmed no-shows:
-

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinyaldee

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Well, what an eventful andaction packed race. Where did you find that pace "old man" ? @Steve Jackson I couldn't catch up to you and we were completely evenly matched with the race pace.
Got screwed over big time by a bullshit penalty with a slight contact against @Sulphix just as the VSC came out. Had to be held stationary for other cars on top of the 5s stop&go... The game really hated me yesterday
Thankfully, there was nice battles to make up for it (put the timestamps in the description of the video)

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Well, what an eventful andaction packed race. Where did you find that pace "old man" ? @Steve Jackson I couldn't catch up to you and we were completely evenly matched with the race pace.
Got screwed over big time by a bullshit penalty with a slight contact against @Sulphix just as the VSC came out. Had to be held stationary for other cars on top of the 5s stop&go... The game really hated me yesterday
Thankfully, there was nice battles to make up for it (put the timestamps in the description of the video)

I'm just destroyed that I qualified 13th on the only track I've ever won on and 9th place felt like a victory. The top five or six were off the chart in terms of pace, I have to remind myself that this is the bottom split.

I was lucky that the race didn't hold any major dramas. Every place gained and every overtake was hard fought. Every position I lost, I tried every trick to defend.

The entire race my own internal Jeff was like "Push now. Push like hell!"

I would be up for racing like that every single day of the week.

Hinyaldee

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
I'm just destroyed that I qualified 13th on the only track I've ever won on and 9th place felt like a victory. The top five or six were off the chart in terms of pace, I have to remind myself that this is the bottom split.

I was lucky that the race didn't hold any major dramas. Every place gained and every overtake was hard fought. Every position I lost, I tried every trick to defend.

The entire race my own internal Jeff was like "Push now. Push like hell!"

I would be up for racing like that every single day of the week.

I totally agree, I'm completely gutted for the final result (and the fact that the top 5-6 are just beyond reachable, but that's another topic huh), but in the end, I enjoyed myself so much last night, I didn't even see the time and laps fly. I missed having such a rush in a race

sjhk93

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Definitely my worst ever league race, and I only have myself to blame.

Qualifying and the start went ok, but I made my first major mistake by spinning off at Copse on lap 2 and dropping 10 seconds behind the rest of the field. I just underestimated the understeer at full fuel and in the dirty air - I can maybe chalk that up to a lack of race practice.

After my tyres cooled down my pace was pretty decent, and I caught the pack on lap 8. Rather than get caught up fighting I decided to pit immediately and go for the undercut - in a massive stroke of luck, the VSC came out the moment I hit the pit limiter. Side-note: this was also my best ever pit entry - no idea how it wasn't a penalty.

At this point I thought I was back in the running for decent points, which was a big relief after my early mistake. Unfortunately I threw this opportunity away straight away with an even bigger error, picking up a drive through for speeding under the VSC by 0.001 seconds (5:30 in my video). I came out of the pits just before it ended, so I think I just got caught out by how slow the VSC pace was - and probably also my keenness to make up for my earlier mistake. At this point I was around 3 seconds behind SLI, so good points were definitely still on the cards prior to the drive through.

Unfortunately I didn't get any further luck with the SC or VSC, and I came out about well behind the rest of the field. I didn't push too hard the rest of the way and picked up a few stupid warnings due to being slightly unfocused, but my pace overall was good. I was catching @Ronnin1978 and the Red Bull pretty quickly towards the end, and managed to leapfrog both when they came together. Coming up to the final lap I saw 10th was in reach as @Hinyaldee was 3.8 seconds ahead - I managed to just get within 3 seconds of him with a big push on the last lap to rescue a point, but I know some of his warnings are being reviewed and his time penalty might be removed anyway.

Super frustrating race. Looking at the race director at the end my pace was good through most of the race, and I'm pretty confident I'd have been running with the top 5 - potentially even after the spin if I hadn't picked up the DT. That said I've only got myself to blame, and most importantly just need to make sure I learn from these mistakes going forward.

Congrats again to @cata82 on the win and to the rest of the podium.

Race Lowlights

Night Puppet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Back in the initial July league time trials on Silverstone, my laps were in the high 1:29s and now I was getting mid 1:26s. Beating some other league drivers, who were now looking mere mortals. Would this be the race that I would finally start beating people on ability and not just consistently finishing. Smirk. Yeah right. Nice one Puppet.

Although the starting 5 corners seem to be designed for maximum carnage, everyone seemed to survive and not a front wing in sight. For the first 6 laps, I settled in behind @St_Jonh as part of a long DRS train. Picked up a few places past the spinners and was feeling the flow. After a minor mistake, I lost the the one second gap to @St_Jonh, over pushed to catch up and span. Losing a good 20 seconds and watched the stragglers wave as they sped past. After a drive through penalty for a dodgy VSC speeding offence (I feel your pain @sjhk93 . Going from +.5 seconds to -.5 seconds whilst almost stationary. ), the race turned into a game of Grand Theft Auto. Racing through Los Santos with blue flashing lights behind me non-stop, a five star wanted meter, only for one of us to duck in the pits, followed by a re-sighting and more flashing blue lights. Fortunately Codemasters disabled the gunfight functionality, although I was scanning the skies for helicopters. Apologies to any of the cops I got in the way of. It was a difficult track to judge letting you pass. Finally finished P16, although I could have done better. See you in Hungry.

HiggsBoson97

Pro Karter
I had 2 different races really. Was a touch nervous in qualifying as I hadn't raced online in F1 in a while. Qualifed last, a couple tenths off the pace, but I felt like I had some more time to gain and felt like I could move up a touch. The first stint on softs I avoided mess and made some overtakes. I think I was in 12th when I pitted around lap 10 or 11 maybe? But once the mediums were on whatever pace I had went out the window. I'm not saying it was the compound on the car. I was making mistakes. The longer the race went on the more sloppy my laps got. I faded as the race went on. But it was good fun to finish a race again. I had video but apparently it's corrupted. I don't mind running at the back. A bad day sim racing is better than a lot of other things in life.

Hinyaldee

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
I had 2 different races really. Was a touch nervous in qualifying as I hadn't raced online in F1 in a while. Qualifed last, a couple tenths off the pace, but I felt like I had some more time to gain and felt like I could move up a touch. The first stint on softs I avoided mess and made some overtakes. I think I was in 12th when I pitted around lap 10 or 11 maybe? But once the mediums were on whatever pace I had went out the window. I'm not saying it was the compound on the car. I was making mistakes. The longer the race went on the more sloppy my laps got. I faded as the race went on. But it was good fun to finish a race again. I had video but apparently it's corrupted. I don't mind running at the back. A bad day sim racing is better than a lot of other things in life.
Might be the lack of online practice. Don't hesitate to turn up on the social races we do every Wednesday and Sunday

cata82

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
Qualy: P2, it is my best lap around this track that i managed to set in qualy, a bit better even than my time trial attempts. So i did my best, but was barely enough for 2nd...good enough for me though.

Race: P1.
Crappy first lap, some mistakes done, but managed to get into a rhythm soon enough. These social races helped me a lot to feel more secure over the course of an entire race so for this big thanks to @Hinyaldee for advising me to take part in more and more of them.

After passing my team mate i noticed i was out of DRS range from the leader, @ntst22 , but that he already had a 3s penalty, so i did all i could to push and keep the distance under 3s. I feel he had a little more pace than myself on Softs, but i didn't give up the fight.
I stayed one lap over the original strategy and pitted on lap 11 for Mediums, thinking i can have fresher tires than the leader towards the end. But this lost me some time in short term, as i was now a bit over 3.5s behind, so his 3s penalty didn't help me...it meant i needed to push like hell at the same time as trying to avoid warnings. That's exactly what i managed, pushed and got the fastest lap of the race, just pipping @ntst22 to it, and after that i just saw that his penalties added up, so i tried to manage the effort i was putting in while staying in the gap that assured me the victory.

Congrats to @ntst22 and to everybody else as well, for such a great and especially clean race.

It was a very hard fought race, even though from a distance but, as others already said before me, i would love this kind of sensation all races from now on...fingers crossed!

Cheers and onto the next one!