PC - Round 12 - Malaysian Grand Prix [15/07/2018 08:00pm] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Round 12 - Malaysian Grand Prix [15/07/2018 08:00pm]

Hooper

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Jan 13, 2018
Round 12 - Malaysian Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 15

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 15th July 2018
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Sepang International Circuit
Laps: 28

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
- @LolFish42
- @Armadeira

Last edited:

Hooper

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Jan 13, 2018
- With Austria done, do you feel like ypu could show your full potential there in terms of pace, finishing position and so on?

- Malaysia is obviously a very tricky track with many blind apexes and all around odd turns and also a very big chance of rain. What do you reckon it takes to win around here?

- This track won't be on the calendar for the upcoming future of Formula 1 and might be the last time that we all race a league race on that track. How sad are you to see Malaysia go?

Synt

Premium Member
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2017
I don't think I was able to show my full pace in austria. Didn't set a lap in quali so starting from the back didn't look like it was going to be a good race for me. But I picked the best strategy for the day and was able to prove what race pace I have. And in the end picked up p2 so was overall a good race for me.

Winning Malaysia take a lot of concentration and consistency. You also need a bit of luck on your side with the weather.

Always sad to see a race go but I don't enjoy racing the track anyway so I'm neither happy or sad about it leaving

Sabba7h

GP2 1st Driver
Aug 26, 2017
  • With Austria done, did you feel like you showed your full potential there in terms of pace, finishing position and so on?
    • Yes and no. I was around 3/4 tenths up on my second flying lap and took too much curbing on the last corner, jumped it. I could have qualified higher and potentially finished higher as a result. That being said, it was a great race and a great battle with @Andrei Ivan - a bit of Deja Vu from last season where I was fighting a Red Bull, except that was for the win and this was for fourth, which would eventually become third after Johan's post-race 15 second penalty. In the race I feel I did show my full potential at that time as we're always getting better and there's no telling how well we could have done had the variables been different. Nonetheless it's a race I'll never forget.
  • Malaysia is obviously a very tricky track with many blind apexes and all around odd turns and also a very big chance of rain. What do you reckon it takes to win around here?
    • Speed, consistency, and an amazing ability in the wet. Take it from the guy who was fastest around the track in F8 last season. Once you can nail the blind apexes, and you know how to handle the car in slippery conditions, you'll be unstoppable. I didn't win, but I sure as hell did amazingly in a wet qualy and set the fastest lap over a few times. I was catching the leader @Dobby but a back-marker got in my way and I lost my front wing.
  • This track won't be on the calendar for the upcoming future of Formula 1 and might be the last time that we all race a league race on that track. How sad are you to see Malaysia go?
    • Being that, as hellishly frustrating it is when you don't get it right, and how rewarding it is when you do, I'm going to miss it a lot. This is a track that I have a love/hate relationship with and is one of my favorites, and it'll be sad for me to see it go like that as it'll only have been my second league race around here.
Also, going to drop a little hint for you guys. There's a reason there are Petronas sponsors all over the front straight. ?

Reactions: Dobby

Armadeira

GP2 Test Driver
Dec 5, 2017
- With Austria done, do you feel like ypu could show your full potential there in terms of pace, finishing position and so on?
Absolutely not. I had some bad luck with an unfair penalty and during the race my pedals got glitched (brake "flickering" between 0-10% without me even touching the brakepedal; Hope I can fix it till next race). So even though I like Austria, I was very nervous because of this and fcked it up on the last lap and lost another position.

- Malaysia is obviously a very tricky track with many blind apexes and all around odd turns and also a very big chance of rain. What do you reckon it takes to win around here?

Won't be able to race sadly.

- This track won't be on the calendar for the upcoming future of Formula 1 and might be the last time that we all race a league race on that track. How sad are you to see Malaysia go?

Both sad and happy. Sad because overall I like this track, happy because my performance was pretty poor last season.

Reactions: Andrei Ivan

Jezza

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 8, 2017

Extremely disappointed with Austria, even though I got pole and fastest lap, I threw away an easy podium on the first corner and got involved in too many incidents to get points.

Being quick in interchangeable conditions is probably the most important thing at Malaysia. Last season the rain ruined my chance of a second podium so hopefully I can have a better race this season.

While I’ve never had Malaysia as one of my favourite tracks, it’s sad to see it go.

Cheekymunkey78

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Feb 12, 2018
- With Austria done, do you feel like you could show your full potential there in terms of pace, finishing position and so on?
Pace - Yes, I started from second to last place due to a qualifying ban, I was always gaining on the car in front of me and able to keep the car behind me at key overtaking points on the track without having to be overly aggressive.
Finishing Position - No, I managed to get up to p7 within only 3 laps but one of the reasons I was always gaining on the car in front of me was I made 3 mistakes where I missed the braking point and over shot the corners. I was overtaken as a result and estimate overall I overtook on track about 19 car but lost about 23 seconds in major errors. Avoided car damage which is always a plus.

I feel there are 3 or 4 major corners that if you get right you can make up some large gains however if you get them wrong chances are you facing the wrong way, probably with damage. The optimum window for these corners is tiny. Consistency around them is key and if you can do it in changing weather you are pushing for a top spot.

Happy to see it go, I have raced on this track many times and I feel nothing for it, it performs almost identical to China so does not offer anything special and due to its design of the corners the wheel to wheel action usually results in one of the car's ending up off even when both car's have taken the corner the best they can.

@Ztikes Please note --- Depending on the England result in the Semi-Finals of the World Cup I may or may not be racing. I will confirm by Thursday.

• Informative
Reactions: Hooper

Hooper

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Jan 13, 2018
@Ztikes Please note --- Depending on the England result in the Semi-Finals of the World Cup I may or may not be racing. I will confirm by Thursday.
Oh man that's a good point. If England go through, and that's a massive IF ;), it might clash with this race... :/

Reactions: schumizeu

LolFish42

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Aug 23, 2017
It took idiot me two weeks to realise I'll get home gone 5pm after a 9 hour flight.

I won't be there this week.

• Informative

Cheekymunkey78

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Feb 12, 2018
Q - p4: High hopes for this one, my highest qualifying ever and knew I could be consistent with the time I set.
R - p9: Oh well, first of all a big sorry to @Peter05, in the excitement of passing you I completely missed my braking point, I did stop to let you past but sorry for the whole thing and hope it didn't affect your race too much.
regarding my race - got "torpedoed" on the first lap and as they span in front of me they sent me flying into the gravel that allowed all but one of the car past me. Worked my way back up to 7th and pushing for 6th. I was just managing to keep @Scott_Aitchison outside of DRS range until my near "fatal" accident with @Peter05, from there I took it easy and finished 9th.

Great race and well done to all.

See you next race.

Reactions: Peter05 and Hooper

Scott_Aitchison

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jun 27, 2015
Q- 8th
R- 7th

I lost 3 tenths in the last sector on my best lap, as it was so close in qualifying that was the difference between qualifying 3rd and qualifying 8th. Race start was ok, I was trying to be cautious and that dropped me down to 13th, after a few laps I was up to 9th, but then I spun and broke my front wing. From that I converted to a 2 stop and with some good fortune, I managed to get myself up to 7th. On the last lap I passed @Andrei Ivan for 6th, but due to penalties, I lost out and finished 7th. I felt that my pace was good today and I was hopeful of a top 5 finish. My POV is below:

Hooper

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Jan 13, 2018
Q - P6
Disappointed with my qualifying performance once again. Could have been a P3 but bottled it on the last lap.

R - P2?!
After a solid start I decided to take it very easy on the first lap, which paid off. Went from P6-P9-P4 in on lap. I then caught up to @Sabba7h and had @Synt right behind me as well. I decided to follow him as close as possible to see if he made a mistake, which he did. Pitted lap 8 and jumped @psico in the pits and also created a bigger gap between myself and P3-P4. I felt very confident, just didn’t have enough pace to pass @csonor in the end for P1, was a close on for sure.

psico

Pro Karter
Apr 22, 2018
Q:2
P: DNF

Not my track, never played it and doesn't want to. The last 4 or 5 Werks i only played 4 or 5 hours (or less?) At lap 18(?)i was going to the pit to give up because i was very boring. Japan is a normally a track for me but i don't have the time at the moment. I will write if i skip this i'm not sure.

Hooper

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Jan 13, 2018
Q:2
P: DNF

Not my track, never played it and doesn't want to. The last 4 or 5 Werks i only played 4 or 5 hours (or less?) At lap 18(?)i was going to the pit to give up because i was very boring. Japan is a normally a track for me but i don't have the time at the moment. I will write if i skip this i'm not sure.
You are not allowed to disconnect from the race as this causes the slipstream glitch, you would have known all about it if you read in the main thread were I tagged you and all the drivers about it. Next time, just stay in the session if you retire.