PC - Round 14 - United States Grand Prix [06/08/2017 8:00 pm] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Round 14 - United States Grand Prix [06/08/2017 8:00 pm]

FisiFan91

AOR Founder & League Admin
Staff member
AOR Admin
Jan 12, 2014
Round 14 - United States Grand Prix
AOR F1 2016 Season 13

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 6th August 2017
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Circuit of the Americas
Laps: 28

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
- @Ycoms
- @Andrei Codreanu

Last edited:

Ycoms

Double AOR iRacing GTE Champion
Mar 4, 2015
@Nukka might have something to do after this race #wallofshame
Yeah, heard you should get a second one at some point. :p

With that I've never driven this track on this game in a league race which is sad since I got my first ever win here in S9, was totally undeserved lel.

Fehler3

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Jan 24, 2017
@Nukka I was trying to say that I expect some corner cutting penaltys (more than usual)

Andrei Codreanu

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jun 12, 2014
Sorry guys but I will not make it tonight cause something came up and I will only be back after the start, so enjoy!

• Informative
Reactions: FisiFan91

Chicane

F1 Test Driver
Feb 2, 2014
First of all: congratz to @BergheVonTrips for winning season 13!

Didn't have the raw quali pace, so wasn't surprised that I had to start all the way at the back. Took it pretty careful, knowing that with starting on the mediums, it was all about going for 1 stop to intermediates. In lap 2 I had a good overtake on @SprinGeR who had a poor exit of turn 1. Had to avoid a divebomb of him later in the lap but glad I paid attention.

Lap 3 an amazing side by side battle with @Maffus for half a lap, very nice driving! Then some lonely laps but driving in P6 because some guys pitted. Lost two positions to the early pitters before the rain came, but didn't really fight them. Then in lap 14 I had a poor exit of turn 1, and @SprinGeR overtook me back almost identically as I did in lap 2.

Then it was the crossoverpoint for intermediates. I was halfway lap 16 when drs got disabled and I rejoined just behind @SprinGeR who pitted a lap earlier, so it didn't make much of a difference. Got an instant 10 second time penalty though for cutting the pit entrance. Already requested the stewards to remove it.

Starting lap 21, I was still on P10 with 5 seconds margin to P11, so maybe 1 or 2 points where on the table for me. Outbraked @SprinGeR on the inside of turn 1. Unfortunately he didn't look at all and went for the apex while a significant part of my car was alongside: our front wheels collided. Lost 5 seconds with recovering from it and he didn't wait. Would've taken this to the stewards if points where involved.

Saw the overtake of Streez incoming, and left room on the inside, but he didn't on the outside, meaning poor traction and an easy overtake for @Nukka as well, and then I knew points where really gone. In the final laps I battled with @FisiFan91 who didn't divebomb but bited his time for a good opportunity. That came starting the final lap: even in 5th gear my car slided on acceleration, so he had an easy pass on the straight.

Unfortunately another finish outside the points. Hopefully I can finish this tough season in a good way and collect a few points at Brazil.

Vid:

Reactions: BergheVonTrips

Fehler3

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Jan 24, 2017
I did lots of practice for this race. I wanted to do a 2 stop strategy as I figured out if I do the 1 stop I have the same race time as when doing a 2 stop. I knew that probably everyone is doing a 1 stop, so I was curious how my 2 stop would work. But then we had rain..... so much for that idea.

Qualifying was fantastic, I was very confident. It is a shame that our new champion @BergheVonTrips (well done, congratulations) was 0.012 seconds faster on his lap.

Setting up the strategy I saw the rain would come by the middle of the race and I got really annoyed because the guys outside the Top10 wouldn't have to stop before that. It turned out that @RBK didn't have to stop either, well done!

The start was okay, @PAPA SOKRATIS must have had a lag start or something, if not - perfect start, well done! We made contact in the braking zone for turn 1 but nothing really happened.
I did a little setup change for my first stint (front wing one click up) and that turned out to be a mistake as I was sliding all over the place and lost a huge amount of time compared to @BergheVonTrips , @RBK later overtook me. I pitted in lap 6 for fresh softs, knowing the rain would come in about 15 minutes. I came out right behind @Maffus . He held me up so much in the first sector, I probably was too impatient, but nothing really happened - apart from me losing two positions to @maxafc46 and @XLNC_Afro, I got @XLNC_Afro back though.

Lap 10 was the turning point for my race. @SprinGeR held both my teammate and me up, then on my screen he simply turned into me and I spun. Wow.

I pitted in lap 15 for inters, overtook @Chicane before the back straight and tried to outbrake @SprinGeR in lap 20, but backed out of it - he made another questionable move there, moved to the left side under braking. If I didn't back out of my overtaking attempt, we would have made contact again.
(Chicanes video shows another move from him that could be one for a stewards enquiry....)

Later on in the race I overtook him, @RT93 StreezVtec got me in the final lap, but I knew he had a penalty so I didn't really fight for position.

I was very confident going into the race, P8 is a desaster. I was desperate to get my first podium in AOR, but the rain, a little strategic error from my side (first pitstop was 1 or 2 laps too early so that @Maffus held me up) and finally @SprinGeR destroyed my race.

Slickk

Formula 3 2nd Driver
Feb 12, 2017
So lucky it rained in the race as if it was a dry race, starting from P16 would've been a disaster.

First stint was really fun, going up through the field, with a nice overtake on @FisiFan91 in the third sector. Towards the end of the stint, I caught up to @Deevstappen absurdly quickly, and when I was overtaking him in the long right hander, suddenly both our cars were shot to the left even though both of us were turning right...?

In the second stint I desperately tried to cling onto P4, but I'm pretty hopeless in the wet, especially under braking, so I lost two positions and ended P6. Which, from P16, is still great.

And finally big congratulations to my teammate @BergheVonTrips, our "new" champion!

Nukka

1-time AOR PC Split 2 Champion
Oct 10, 2014
Q: Managed to put in a real stunnerlap (allthough a small cut at the penultimate corner which i noticed afterwards which i have put in the stewards), real proud of that one as i tend to always do bad or just decent qualis. P3.

R: I feel that the luck isnt really there this season, tend to always be unlucky with the weather, and always takes wrong decisions. This time, starting in the top 10 wasnt so good afterall. And the lack of time practicing in wet conditions (and me being generally weak in wet) doesnt makes it better. I've made some early pits when the rain starts earlier but then it never gets wet, this time its the opposite. :<

Did however have some nice people with many of you guys, i think the racecraft overall is improving every race and all battles gets cleaner and cleaner. Me like! =) Without the rain i maybe couldve battled for top 5, now it turned out to be a battle to get into the points instead, which i slightly managed, happy with that. But my season goal to finish top 10 seems to be a tough one coming into the last race.

ramdrop

F1 Schumacher Equivalent
Apr 26, 2015
As some of you know, I've just moved house, so no practice at all for this race this week. Went on 10mins before the race and did 2 full laps, then went into qualifying.

Wasn't used to the Red Bull cockpit around here because I couldn't see the apex's but oh well, I could have been alot quicker, but I was happy starting where I was.

Started on Softs because I knew they would go to the rain period - the supers definitely would have to stop, so I was quite content sitting where I was.

Kept up with the Super runners and worked my way up and up and started catching @RBK until @BergheVonTrips (well done btw) came steam rolling through, quite literally, but I just rolled over and let him go.

When the rain came, I had some more pace over @RBK and lap by lap I got closer to him, until just before the straight, he braked a little earlier than normal, probably for a better exit and as a result, I lost the right side of my wing....
Going down the straight, I broke at the same point, but the car did not stop and I did some awesome tokyo drift moment, I apologised immediately because I almost ended his race too. Bought the car home in P3 as I was unable to fight anymore.

BergheVonTrips

2-time AOR PC Split 1 Champion
Jun 22, 2015
First of all: Thanks for all the nice messages and comments. Secondly: What a race.

The evening didn't get off to a great start. For some reason my Geforce Experience couldn't detect F1 2016 in order for me to record the race. Not good, given that you never know if you won't need your own footage for a steward's enquiry or to have an unjustified penalty taken away.

Anyway, for the second time in a row I nailed qualifying and got my 3rd pole of the season, 1 hundreth ahead of @Fehler3, who impressed me a lot. Fortunately my S3 turned out to be unbeatable which saved my bacon as he was up in S1 and I believe S2. With Streez and ramdrop starting quite far off pole, I knew that a unique opportunity had presented itself to grab another win and therefore the championship. But the horrors of Monza and Suzuka were still present in my memory, resulting in sweaty palms while I was anxiously waiting for the red lights on the grid.

My reaction time was - as usual - ok but not great, however, my second phase of the start was ace and I had a bit of a gap before braking for T1, which allowed me to take a slightly wider line into the corner. I noticed my arrows indicating that someone was about to divebomb into me, so I swerved to the right to avoid any contact, which worked out fine. From then on I began to pull a gap to Fehler in P2. As he was battling with RBK and losing even more time, I began to contemplate my tyre strategy. Hoping for rain earlier than lap 10 I stayed out one lap longer than originally planned, but the rain didn't arrive.

I pitted on lap 10 and received a 3 sec. penalty for cutting the pit entry line (embarassing), taking fresh softs just in case the rain wouldn't arrive or it wouldn't be wet enough to put inters on (a bit of paranoia on my side, but after Suzuka, nothing surprises me anymore). Luckily I got ahead of my teammate @Slickk and @Qélon, who were busy battling for P4, but it was close. With Slick being on used Mediums, he became a buffer for me by keeping Qelon and the rest of the pack behind, while I was focussed on closing a 7 second gap to @ramdrop before it started raining. With new tyres, my engine turned up to the max and an unhealthy dose of rev limiter-abuse I closed the gap within 4 laps and found myself just behind ramdrop, who was stuck behind @RBK or the "tyre whisperer" as he shall be referred to from now onwards. ;)

I went for a late braking manoeuvre against ramdrop, he was kind enough to leave plenty of space and we were side by side for three corners until I finally got past, making the most of my fresh tyres. With RBK barely able to accelerate out of any corner, I caught the back of his car real fast and with far superior traction was alongside him halfway down the start/finish-straight. Despite outbraking myself into T1 and thus handing RBK an opportunity to re-take the lead, I kept P1 and started to pull a gap because I knew that this was the most crucial stage of the race and the only time I had a proper tyre advantage. RBK somehow stayed infront of ramdrop until the end of the lap and I remained on slicks for one more lap, waiting for the ideal moment to change to inters. That moment came on lap 16 and watching RBK on my minimap being quite a long way off as I exited the pitlane gave me the confirmation that I had gone for the perfect lap to switch tyres. From then on it was a cruise to the chequered flag with no troubles whatsoever.

Everything fell into place for me nicely this time around and this result feels like a bit of redemption for Monza and Suzuka. As @RyanL83 said in his livestream, with my favourite driver winning his 3rd WDC on this circuit back in 2015 it couldn't have been a better place to grab my second AOR Split 1 Championship. It's a shame @Ycoms couldn't take part in both Suzuka and Austin to keep the championship alive until the last race of the season. Same goes for @NickB, who would've been in the fight for the title until the very end if it wasn't for rotten luck.

It's such an honour for me to compete for a championship in what I believe is the most competitive F1 league out there, let alone to end up winning it. Thanks to all of you for an amazing season, for all those battles and the respect on and off the track. With one more race to go and a WCC at stake, let's make this last race in Brazil a special one.