PC - Round 14 - United States Grand Prix [06/08/2017 - 8:00pm UK time] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Round 14 - United States Grand Prix [06/08/2017 - 8:00pm UK time]

Metten

Formula 3 Test Driver
May 19, 2017
Qualy: Pole position!! :D
Race: 2nd

Let's start with qualy. My banker lap was already a good one. 1:37:2, without taking too much risk and I noticed nobody got to that time in the first half of qualy. In my second run I did a really good lap and put in a 1:36:7 giving me my second pole position in AOR. Really happy about that! My goal was to be in front of my practice buddy @Ely' as I knew he would be almost as fast as me from a practice race and it was hard to overtake him in our practice race.

Well the race. I must say this was the most fun and best race I've had on F1 2016. Ahead of the race @Ely' and I hoped for a battle and well we had a very good battle. In the first stint I was a bit faster as him, but with the DRS he could stay behind me. Tried to overtake me a couple of times after the long straight, but managed to keep him behind me taking the faster outside line after the long straight. Excellent clean driving of both of us I think, which made it a really fair battle.

Then it was pit stop time in lap 9. Well on my POV you can hear how I felt about my pit crew hahah xD. I think this was an important moment in the race. He overtook me in the pit lane at lap 9 and I was behind him, but luckily quickly in his DRS and I managed to get close to him. Again from practice I knew we had almost similar pace on the Mediums so I had to keep within DRS to be able to keep close without the need to push to hard risking my tires or risking a penalty. Then at the start of lap 13 the biggest decider took place. We catched up to @Julien2395, who still had to do his pit stop. @Ely' managed to get past quite quickly in turn 1, but I got stock behind him through the S-section. After that I managed to pass him before the long straight, but I lost 3 seconds to Ely.

This resulted in 14 intense laps of managing tires, managing fuel and concentration haha. Throughout that 14 laps I got a couple of warnings (due to my own stupidity) and got a deserved 3 second penalty. The most expensive 3 second penalty of my time in AOR yet :p. In lap 27 I finally got in the DRS range of Ely and this resulted in me getting really close to him. I had an opportunity to do an overtake at the beginning of lap 28, but it would probably not be a fair move so I decided to wait for the big straight and last moment to be able to try an overtake. I got a good exit and was able to get past him!! @Ely' decided to defend the inside line, which is exactly what I wanted and I managed to get past. I was terified to mess up a corner after that, but managed to keep him behind me crossing the line in P1.

(Oh yeah that penalty haha:p)

Well that resulted in a second place unfortunately, but still I'm really happy with the result. I now managed to get 2nd three times this season and still hoping for a race win as I was so close here, so hopefully another opportunity at Brasil. Huge thanks to @Ely' for this amazing race and battle. Also a big compliment to @KurvZ for his third place and amazing consistency over the season so far. And @Ely' you really deserve the championsship mate! Big congratz!

See you all in Brasil and the upcoming socials!!

My POV (It's the whole race, because I probably don't have time to edit. First stint and last couple of laps are nice to watch. Lap 9 and Lap 12/13 is the pitstop and battle around Julien):

• Friendly
Reactions: KurvZ and Ctzn Ely

Scott_Aitchison

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jun 27, 2015
Q- 4th
R- 7th

Decent lap in qualifying, probably could have gone another tenth or 2 faster. Race didn't get off to the best start, spun of someones car, no-ones fault but was annoying. Managed to fight back up to 7th but I felt I had the pace to fight for a podium. Congrats to @Ely' on the championship!!!

My POV is below:

R.A.J.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2016
Race didn't get off to the best start, spun of someones car, no-ones fault but was annoying.
That was me :( tried to keep as tight to the left as I could but there was just the slightest of touches which ultimately ended up with both of us getting spun.

Edit: Okay weird, just watched your video of the start and looks like you got tangled with Kurvz.
Still on mine it looked different so who knows. Maybe in 2017 we can get better quality wheel banging.

Last edited:

Jipper

Reigning S14 AOR PC F6 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
May 24, 2017
Well to watch our two long battles from your perspective it looked frustrating for you haha. some clean racing between us tho and thoughful driving, Lap 9 Sector 2 battle was tense, after lap 10 my tyres were shot couldnt get traction down out of corners at all so you had me beat badly on corner exits and corner speeds by the looks of it too,

one of those situations where our tyre strategies worked against your race as i kept coming out infront of you after your pit stops but on much older tyres! :D

thanks for the fun non the less! (y)(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: R.A.J.

R.A.J.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2016
Yes was fun, you must of been running lower wings than I was because couldn't really catch up on the straights but really caught up through the esses.
Did get past once at the end of the long straight but overcooked it going into the next corner and you got the place back but lots of fun none the less.

Sometimes it really doesn't matter where you finish just as long as you have fun along the way.

hmm maybe I should make that my signature

Reactions: Jipper

Jipper

Reigning S14 AOR PC F6 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
May 24, 2017
Yes was fun, you must of been running lower wings than I was because couldn't really catch up on the straights but really caught up through the esses.
Did get past once at the end of the long straight but overcooked it going into the next corner and you got the place back but lots of fun none the less.

Sometimes it really doesn't matter where you finish just as long as you have fun along the way.

hmm maybe I should make that my signature
I was running 7,6 wing which i do for most circuits apart from Monaco and Spa, the ones that are one extreme to another haha.