PS4 - Round 17 Japanese Grand Prix [26/02/2017 20:00] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 Round 17 Japanese Grand Prix [26/02/2017 20:00]

JIM-NervoTank

3-time AOR PS4 F1 Champion
Jan 14, 2014
That was a quite interesting race. Back on the podium after 3 races bottling strategies, DTs or SCs... My strategy was meant to be M-H but when I saw qualifying times then I inmediately put the softs to get top spots.

Start was good and kept P1 with Aressi behind me, I was very cautious because I wanted to last my softs until lap 9 to put later the hards and make them last till the end. @alexukr was in 4th place with a distance between 4-5 seconds more or less so I thought he would try the 1 stop also as hes a great tyre saver but he pitted earlier than I could imagine. In the minimap I saw a group of 4-5 cars together so decided to do the 1 stop strategy to avoid traffic but taking risks to get a puncture. I drove very smooth and with very high years to avoid drifting while accelerating. In the end, strategy worked out amazing for both me and @CianG-4 and we got P1 and P3.

Got back the championship leading and with the races left I expect good results. Also happy not to get any race penalty :)

Strategy:
S(used)
H(new)

alexukr

Premium Member
Premium Member
Mar 18, 2016
After some time to reflect the race i think the thing that hurt me the most that i haven't finished a 50% race before this race, but my next exams are in april so i will make sure to be prepared for the next races and to at least keep it open untill Abu Dhabi

NBAroubin

Formula 4 1st Driver
May 14, 2015
I started in P12, and got up a few positions during the first few laps. From there on I was just saving tyres, mostly driving on my own and avoiding incidents.

During the last few laps, I was in P5, quite close to the guys in front. Then @alexukr made quite a reckless divebomb on me into the chicane. We made slight contact and I was forced wide, but we managed to get out of it unscathed. The move he made was, in my opinion, just about fair and he would've had me on the next straight anyway.

Finished in P6. It was a good result for me, considering that my pace wasn't too great and I hadn't done too much practice.
Strat: M-H
Highlights:

Reactions: TheogGR1

alexukr

Premium Member
Premium Member
Mar 18, 2016
wanted to last my softs until lap 9 to put later the hards and make them last till the end. @alexukr was in 4th place with a distance between 4-5 seconds more or less so I thought he would try the 1 stop also as hes a great tyre saver but he pitted earlier than I could imagine
i think actually you crawling down to the pits in quali ruined that for me because my AI car decided to carry on and let me start with over 20% tyre wear :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

no idea why codies doesn't just slap 5-6% at the end when you crossed line but instead let the AI handle the tyre wear.

Bcolt93

F1 Senna Equivalent
Oct 24, 2014
I started in P12, and got up a few positions during the first few laps. From there on I was just saving tyres, mostly driving on my own and avoiding incidents.

During the last few laps, I was in P5, quite close to the guys in front. Then @alexukr made quite a reckless divebomb on me into the chicane. We made slight contact and I was forced wide, but we managed to get out of it unscathed. The move he made was, in my opinion, just about fair and he would've had me on the next straight anyway.

Finished in P6. It was a good result for me, considering that my pace wasn't too great and I hadn't done too much practice.
Strat: M-H
Highlights:
Hell of a drive man. Was really impressed by your pace. The move by alex was aggressive but fair imo. He needed to make it to stay in the championship hunt

Reactions: NBAroubin

CianG-4

F1 Senna Equivalent
Oct 23, 2014
Qualy: 5th
A couple of mistakes which proved crucial considering how close the top 8 were, but happy enough.

Race: 3rd
Main aim off the start was to survive. Maintained 5th until @Jthorn97 went off and was promoted to 4th. Overtook @alexukr , before he got me back, and I got him back again for 3rd. I stayed out when everyone else pitted as I was going for a one stop that I knew was marginal but possible. Renault gave me a **** stop on L9, which compounded with significant undercuts, meant I was in the pack having been jumped by Alex and @clarky_110. Got caught up in battles with Clarky and Thorn before they all pitted for their second stops. There was one bizarre moment where 5 cars shared the same patch of road at Dunlop. One-stopping @jamie-995 on M tyres caught up to me after I was overtaken by the two-stopping @Aressi191 and got me with a beautiful overtake around the outside of T1/2. I tried and failed to replicate the same move. Last lap I went for the outside again. We were both pushing hard for the position, and Jamie went slightly deep which opened the door for the switch back and I regained P3. Last lap was incredibly intense, defending position on the limit of fuel and tyres, but thankfully I came home to claim my third podium of the season.

This was definitely the best I've felt after a race so far this season. To make an improbable strategy work as a team with @JIM-NervoTank to achieve a double podium and to extend our lead in the Teams Championship and for him to regain control of the Drivers Championshipwas fantastic. I was delighted.

Unforunately highlights will be later than usual, but it's a good one!!! I've attached a small preview from my battle with Jamie.

Strategy:
Start: S(qualy)
H (new)

Bcolt93

F1 Senna Equivalent
Oct 24, 2014
Race Report time

Qualifying: 9th (1:33.7)
Pretty happy considering the circumstances. Had to go get my phone fixed this afternoon and didn't get back until 2:45 leaving me 5 minutes before the lobby was supposed to go up. Got 1 lap of practice to get my wheel sorted and find my bearings and then into the session. Didn't get to do my final run as my game crashed just before I was ready to leave the pits so my 4th lap of the afternoon put me in the top 10.

Race: 19th (DNF)
Rather annoying day for me. My race started with me staring at the lights and not remembering to go, so I got completely swamped as I sat there like a dumb ass on the line. It wasn't all bad though as I made a move on @RBOS_00 around the outside at the chicane to go P11, so only a 2 spot drop. On the next lap I made the exact same move on @iSuperScrub although I'm not sure exactly where he ended up, in the pits I think so I was P10. Gained a position at the end of L4 as @BigshotP1ayerGR pitted, so I was P9 which is where I stayed pretty much for the rest of the stint, although I had @jamie-995 not too far behind on the hards. Stayed out until the end of L8 on my quali set of softs which were at roughly 72%, and went on to a set of hards with the intention of 2 stopping. Then disaster struck. On my outlap (L9), I disconnected on the entry to Degner 2. By the time I got back into the session and regained control of my car it was L11 and I was going through T1/2, so I lost a lap and a half and a countless seconds. Codies wasn't done with me though, as I disconnected again on L12 at pretty much the exact same spot. Got back into the lobby and regained control at Dunlop on L13, so again I had lost a lap. By this point my wheel settings had been completely fvcked, as my wheel was much heavier than I usually had it for some reason. So I struggled for pace on aging hard tyres and had lost all the rhythm I had from the first stint when points looked like a guarantee as I had dropped Theo by almost 8 seconds when I came into the pits.

Long story short, my connection or codies sorted itself out for the remainder of the race but my driving was shocking and at the end of L19 my race ended as I dropped a wheel in the grass at the final corner, over-corrected and ended up in the wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: CianG-4

iSuperScrub

4 Time AOR Project Cars 1 Champion
Mar 29, 2014
No practice and somehow i was less than a second off pole, Race start and @Ali Kidd car lagged back into mine at turn 1 causing me huge front wing damage, not your fault @Ali Kidd .

Then i ran the rest of the race alone, and with 2 laps to go i hit a kerb of death and i think i broke the AOR olympic record for the highest jump and most synchronised barrel rolls ......

clarky_110

F1 1st Driver
Jun 7, 2015
Really disappointing end to the race !
Qualified 6th but literally a tenths and a half off pole so was reasonably happy

Race- before the first pit stops I was having a good battle with @alexukr and @CianG-4 for 3rd place, but then came out of the pits in so much traffic, made a few decent moves to try keep with @alexukr but then got into a collision with @BigC_019 which cost me time places and parts of my front wing. Really disappointing as my pace was decent. Then to top it all off on lap 22 I had another collision with @TheogGR1 where I was given no room and spun off

Pretty annoying race, but we go again!

clarky_110

F1 1st Driver
Jun 7, 2015
@BigC_019 @TheogGR1 , not gunna go stewards for any of the incidents, think the one with @BigC_019 you didn't leave much room but the stupid contact model just made it much worse and Theo you did turn in on me but I saw your view and did look like a backed out

But tbh I put myself in that position with a stupid strategy, always have to risk of incidents when pitting into traffic, 1 stop is literally Always faster on this game

Jthorn97

Premium Member
Premium Member
Feb 10, 2015
1 stop is literally Always faster on this game
Yeah at least in 50% races. It's a shame but strategy doesn't come into play as much as it does in 100% races. I hope F1 2017 has a more "dynamic" tyre wear system were it can change depending on the conditions

zWoody

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 18, 2014
No practice and somehow i was less than a second off pole, Race start and @Ali Kidd car lagged back into mine at turn 1 causing me huge front wing damage, not your fault @Ali Kidd .

Then i ran the rest of the race alone, and with 2 laps to go i hit a kerb of death and i think i broke the AOR olympic record for the highest jump and most synchronised barrel rolls ......

Holy crap man! That is an insane amount of air!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: iSuperScrub

clarky_110

F1 1st Driver
Jun 7, 2015
Forgot to mention my DRS broke twice in that race, which took like 5 laps to repair each time, don't understand

jamie-995

AOR PS4 RallyCross S1 Champion
Jan 4, 2016
Qualifying 14th - Would have only been 9th at best, so was much better to start on hards instead.

Race 4th - Cautious opening few laps & quickly discovered during that time i had the slipstream bug which certainly hampered me abit, but was able to pass @TheogGR1 & even lead for a few laps once everyone pitted before i was caught by @Aressi191. 15 laps on hards with the pad i felt was decent & once i pitted for mediums was able to pass @NBAroubin & then eventually pass @CianG-4 with my favourite overtake so far on the outside of Turn 1 & 2. Sadly though couldn't pull away & made a crucial mistake on the last lap allowing Cian back through.

Although it was ultimately my fault i didn't end up on the podium, i'm still delighted to be able to put in a competitive showing & hopefully this goes some way to helping me get on the grid for season 13. :happy:

Reactions: CianG-4

CianG-4

F1 Senna Equivalent
Oct 23, 2014
Qualifying 14th - Would have only been 9th at best, so was much better to start on hards instead.

Race 4th - Cautious opening few laps & quickly discovered during that time i had the slipstream bug which certainly hampered me abit, but was able to pass @TheogGR1 & even lead for a few laps once everyone pitted before i was caught by @Aressi191. 15 laps on hards with the pad i felt was decent & once i pitted for mediums was able to pass @NBAroubin & then eventually pass @CianG-4 with my favourite overtake so far on the outside of Turn 1 & 2. Sadly though couldn't pull away & made a crucial mistake on the last lap allowing Cian back through.

Although it was ultimately my fault i didn't end up on the podium, i'm still delighted to be able to put in a competitive showing & hopefully this goes some way to helping me get on the grid for season 13. :happy:

Our battle was highlight reel stuff considering what was at stake and our tyre situations. You got me with a beauty and on the final lap it's incredible how we both commit to the corner. Looks beautiful from my POV. Close racing giving everything and more, on the limit, fair, no contact. That's what I signed up for.