PS4 - Round 17 - United States Grand Prix - Sunday 25th February 2018 -[8:00pm (UK time)] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 Round 17 - United States Grand Prix - Sunday 25th February 2018 -[8:00pm (UK time)]

washy03

Reigning S14 AOR PS4 F8 Champion
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 2, 2016
Round 17 - United States Grand Prix
AOR F1 2017 Season 14

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 25th February 2018
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Circuit of the Americas
Laps: 28

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:

MORETHANAMAZING

F1 Coordinator and Bottlejob Extraordinaire
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 1, 2014

Seca

Formula 3 Test Driver
Sep 15, 2016

Da Eagle

Semi-Pro Karter
Jan 6, 2015
Sorry Guys, I wont be racing this one due to work. God I hate these nightshifts, especially on Sunday evening.

washy03

Reigning S14 AOR PS4 F8 Champion
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 2, 2016

Jason007

F1 Coordinator
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2017
2267c57ee2aaaf08cdec9adb8df20071.jpg

Seca

Formula 3 Test Driver
Sep 15, 2016
Race report later, but when I pitted for my I tires, which I selected, it put me on another SS set. Pretty bummed as I was expecting a good result today.

Jason007

F1 Coordinator
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2017
Qualy: P12
Race: P11 (Unofficially?)

*Qualification and full race video at the bottom*

Qualification (0:00) - Going into COTA I was feeling good about my pace. It's a challenging circuit with the strictest track limits of any race. I pushed hard since I could do multiple laps if needed. After my first lap I was sitting in P8, but eventually fell down the order to P12. The weather report was showing a short period of dry racing, followed by steady rain, ending with heavy rain.

Race: (2:00) - Unsure of when the rain would fall I decided to start on SS tyres and take them to the rain.

LIGHTS OUT! (2:07) - I get a decent start off the line and head up the hill behind @Seca. I meant to stay in line behind him, but completely missed my braking point and shot up the inside. Exactly the move I didn't want to do. It's a tight squeeze around the corner, causing @caddiedamus and I to bump wheels. Luckily no wing damage, but the contact puts me offline a bit and I get overtaken.

Lap 1 (3:00) - Going around the Turn 11 hairpin @ZeQ420 and @Seca get scrappy so I take the outside line for the overtake. @Seca recovers and we go wheel-to-wheel down the back straight, but in the end Seca wins out. P12.

Lap 1 Continued (3:40) - Running way to wide thru Turn 17 and Turn 18, @HoinkDoink takes advantage for a slick overtake on the inside line. Down to P13.

Lap 3 (6:00) - THE RAIN STARTS! Already!? I didn't expect the rain to start this quick. I was hoping it would stay slick tyre weather to at least make the SS tyres worth it.

Lap 3 Continued (7:10) - The track starts to get slick. @caddiedamus and @HoinkDoink get scrappy at Turn 19, causing Hoink to run wide. I miss my braking point, and with a slick track, follow the same line as Hoink. @Seca takes advantage and overtakes.

Lap 4 (8:10) - DRS is disabled... it's time for Inters! @Seca gets loose and I take to the inside of Turn 10 for the overtake. Up to P9.

Lap 5 (9:30) - Nearly EVERYONE is in the pits for Inters. Unfortunately as a result @HoinkDoink and I double-stack at the Red Bull box. It adds a couple of seconds to my stop time, but not a big deal.

Lap 8 (16:30) - Running P9 I catch up to @Limaro Fipama, with @caddiedamus hot on my heels. This is a battle that could last a very very long time.

Lap 9 (19:00) - @MORETHANAMAZING is now on my gearbox. I try to play defense for as long as possible while trying to avoid contact.

Lap 10 (19:55) - Up the hill to the Turn 1 @MORETHANAMAZING dives to the inside for a fantastic overtake. Well done!

Lap 10 Continued (20:35) - Thru Turn 10 @Limaro Fipama @MORETHANAMAZING and I find ourselves in a battle for P8. That was fun!

Lap 11 (21:45) - Okay here comes the most hair-raising moment of the race for me! I get WAYYY to intimate with @Limaro Fipama.

Lap 11 Continued (22:35) - @Stewart Macdougall goes to the inside of Turn 11 for an overtake, then wheel-to-wheel action. Down to P11.

Lap 12 (25:10) - @Stewart Macdougall @limaro myself and @rob2k battle it out. Eventually Rob makes the overtake stick through Turn 1. Down to P12. At this point I'm getting discouraged. For whatever reason I have almost no pace.

Lap 14 (29:00) - With @limaro and @Rob2k duking it out, I manage to catch up, fighting for that last points paying position.

Lap 16 (33:20) - BOX BOX BOX! I can feel my front tyres starting to go, and unsure if/when heavy rain would fall, I put on another set of Inters and a new wing. I exit the pits in P14... and behind @Limaro Fipama GAHHH! :lol:

Lap 21 (41:50) - Now the rain is really starting to fall. I see @Seca and @ZeQ420 are both running Wets. Maybe it's time to change?

Lap 22 (43:35) - BOX BOX BOX ! @Limaro Fipama and I both dive into the pits for Wets. However, in the moment and completely jack up my pit box exit. I was dropping the clutch, but it wouldn't let me out of the box. Finally I manage to exit, but fall far behind Limaro. I must catch up!

Lap 24 (48:15) - @boofon gets loose after Turn 1 and I barely manage to swerve right to avoid an impact. Phew!

Lap 26 (52:00) - @Limaro Fipama and I manage to catch up to @James Boniface who is running the Inters. Limaro manages to get by, but it takes me until Lap 27 down the main straight to overtake. All the while @boofon is right on my gearbox. Now I need to catch up to Limaro and hope for some penalties!

ACROSS THE LINE! (57:45) - P11... uggh. Finishing 4.5 seconds behind @Limaro Fipama and the last points paying position was gutting.

Post-Race Interview: That was an intense race! Dry racing, to Inters, to Wet, we got it all! Wheel to wheel racing in the wet definitely ups the pucker factor a bit! HOWEVER, once the results screen appeared, something didn't quite look right. Nearly everyone else in the chat said the same thing. I finished 4.5 seconds behind Limaro, who had 8 seconds worth of penalties, while I had 0. Yet still finished P11? Did the game not add in anyone's penalties? @washy03 has his work cut out for him to figure this cluster out! :lol:

Grats to @DavidBen85 on the win!
Grats to @denzamo and @washy03 on the podiums!
Grats to @HoinkDoink on the P6 and solid points for Red Bull!

It'll be interesting to see how the results pan out!

Aug 25, 2017

Qualification (0:00) - Going into COTA I was feeling good about my pace. It's a challenging circuit with the strictest track limits of any race. I pushed hard since I could do multiple laps if needed. After my first lap I was sitting in P8, but eventually fell down the order to P12. The weather report was showing a short period of dry racing, followed by steady rain, ending with heavy rain.

Race: (2:00) - Unsure of when the rain would fall I decided to start on SS tyres and take them to the rain.

LIGHTS OUT! (2:07) - I get a decent start off the line and head up the hill behind @Seca. I meant to stay in line behind him, but completely missed my braking point and shot up the inside. Exactly the move I didn't want to do. It's a tight squeeze around the corner, causing @caddiedamus and I to bump wheels. Luckily no wing damage, but the contact puts me offline a bit and I get overtaken.

Lap 1 (3:00) - Going around the Turn 11 hairpin @ZeQ420 and @Seca get scrappy so I take the outside line for the overtake. @Seca recovers and we go wheel-to-wheel down the back straight, but in the end Seca wins out. P12.

Lap 1 Continued (3:40) - Running way to wide thru Turn 17 and Turn 18, @HoinkDoink takes advantage for a slick overtake on the inside line. Down to P13.

Lap 3 (6:00) - THE RAIN STARTS! Already!? I didn't expect the rain to start this quick. I was hoping it would stay slick tyre weather to at least make the SS tyres worth it.

Lap 3 Continued (7:10) - The track starts to get slick. @caddiedamus and @HoinkDoink get scrappy at Turn 19, causing Hoink to run wide. I miss my braking point, and with a slick track, follow the same line as Hoink. @Seca takes advantage and overtakes.

Lap 4 (8:10) - DRS is disabled... it's time for Inters! @Seca gets loose and I take to the inside of Turn 10 for the overtake. Up to P9.

Lap 5 (9:30) - Nearly EVERYONE is in the pits for Inters. Unfortunately as a result @HoinkDoink and I double-stack at the Red Bull box. It adds a couple of seconds to my stop time, but not a big deal.

Lap 8 (16:30) - Running P9 I catch up to @Limaro Fipama, with @caddiedamus hot on my heels. This is a battle that could last a very very long time.

Lap 9 (19:00) - @MORETHANAMAZING is now on my gearbox. I try to play defense for as long as possible while trying to avoid contact.

Lap 10 (19:55) - Up the hill to the Turn 1 @MORETHANAMAZING dives to the inside for a fantastic overtake. Well done!

Lap 10 Continued (20:35) - Thru Turn 10 @Limaro Fipama @MORETHANAMAZING and I find ourselves in a battle for P8. That was fun!

Lap 11 (21:45) - Okay here comes the most hair-raising moment of the race for me! I get WAYYY to intimate with @Limaro Fipama.

Lap 11 Continued (22:35) - @Stewart Macdougall goes to the inside of Turn 11 for an overtake, then wheel-to-wheel action. Down to P11.

Lap 12 (25:10) - @Stewart Macdougall @limaro myself and @rob2k battle it out. Eventually Rob makes the overtake stick through Turn 1. Down to P12. At this point I'm getting discouraged. For whatever reason I have almost no pace.

Lap 14 (29:00) - With @limaro and @Rob2k duking it out, I manage to catch up, fighting for that last points paying position.

Lap 16 (33:20) - BOX BOX BOX! I can feel my front tyres starting to go, and unsure if/when heavy rain would fall, I put on another set of Inters and a new wing. I exit the pits in P14... and behind @Limaro Fipama GAHHH! :lol:

Lap 21 (41:50) - Now the rain is really starting to fall. I see @Seca and @ZeQ420 are both running Wets. Maybe it's time to change?

Lap 22 (43:35) - BOX BOX BOX ! @Limaro Fipama and I both dive into the pits for Wets. However, in the moment and completely jack up my pit box exit. I was dropping the clutch, but it wouldn't let me out of the box. Finally I manage to exit, but fall far behind Limaro. I must catch up!

Lap 24 (48:15) - @boofon gets loose after Turn 1 and I barely manage to swerve right to avoid an impact. Phew!

Lap 26 (52:00) - @Limaro Fipama and I manage to catch up to @James Boniface who is running the Inters. Limaro manages to get by, but it takes me until Lap 27 down the main straight to overtake. All the while @boofon is right on my gearbox. Now I need to catch up to Limaro and hope for some penalties!

ACROSS THE LINE! (57:45) - P11... uggh. Finishing 4.5 seconds behind @Limaro Fipama and the last points paying position was gutting.

Post-Race Interview: That was an intense race! Dry racing, to Inters, to Wet, we got it all! Wheel to wheel racing in the wet definitely ups the pucker factor a bit! HOWEVER, once the results screen appeared, something didn't quite look right. Nearly everyone else in the chat said the same thing. I finished 4.5 seconds behind Limaro, who had 8 seconds worth of penalties, while I had 0. Yet still finished P11? Did the game not add in anyone's penalties? @washy03 has his work cut out for him to figure this cluster out! :lol:

Think my 8 secs included my 5 secs stop go penalty for speeding in pits that i took on my 2nd pit stop, as only had one 3 sec penalty for corner cutting.

Seca

Formula 3 Test Driver
Sep 15, 2016
Q - 10
R - 15

Qually went ok but not great. I had more time in me but screwed up my second run and was only able to get 10th. Race start was fun going into and out of T1. @Jason007 and @ZeQ420 and I came out 3 wide and continued into the esses where I had the better line up for the entry causing them to back off a tad. I lost a couple of positions to @HoinkDoink and @Jason007 in the early laps as I couldn't seam to get the car settled in. Regardless I was still confident of top 10 once I got everything feeling right, even with the rain coming. I was in 9th place when I had to pit for intermediate tires. As I was about to manually switch tires for pit stop the "Change Strategy" came up suggestion to go to I tires. I went ahead and just confirmed it there. I was a bit shocked when I saw them put SS back on!!! SON OF A..... I knew right away my race was over. Only thing I could do was hope some of you would get a bit frisky with the throttle and park your cars into the wall. :) That didnt happen and laps just ticked away. As the rain kept falling harder I went ahead and pitted for full wets a bit early which put me back behind @Jolly76. I was able to work my way back around him before the end of the race but was only able to muster up a 15th place. COngrats to who ever ended up actually winning. I got to tuck behind a few of you as you lapped me and watch the battles. It was the only fun parts of my race.

iej76

Formula 4 1st Driver
Oct 15, 2015
Well that was a disaster. First dnf. Totally deserved for practicing no more than 15 laps in the week.

Bottled my quali lap too.

Congrats to Ben on his win. Well deserved. Unlucky to washy on his connection issues.

Glad to see that Dysan did continue racing after all.

caddiedamus

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 20, 2017
First race with the wheel didn’t go as planned. Snap of oversteer got me in the double right hander and thankfully ended my race as I was struggling to keep the car on the track. Congrats to who ever won that race, the most bizarre final 2 laps I’ve ever watched.

ZeQ420

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Mar 30, 2017

Had an inkling that wing damage I had on lap 2 was a Codey's cock-up. I knew you weren't that slow! lol

The hairpin before the long back straight on lap 2... I actually hit the back of you and damaged my front wing. But going into the corner you had some distance on me, then suddenly I was hitting your gearbox, then you were 100 metres down the straight in an instant. On your screen the arrows didn't even go red, indicating I was still at least car length behind (where I was expecting to actually be haha). Bloody game! :p

Nice little fight through the first sector though dude before Codey's stepped in! (y)

AOR Davidben

Formula 3 Test Driver
Premium Member
Aug 13, 2017
My PoV from Sunday. Bit of a strange one to be honest. Regardless of the result it was an entertaining race nevertheless with some great battles throughout. Congratulations @denzamo and @washy03

Last edited:

Jason007

F1 Coordinator
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2017
Had an inkling that wing damage I had on lap 2 was a Codey's cock-up. I knew you weren't that slow! lol

The hairpin before the long back straight on lap 2... I actually hit the back of you and damaged my front wing. But going into the corner you had some distance on me, then suddenly I was hitting your gearbox, then you were 100 metres down the straight in an instant. On your screen the arrows didn't even go red, indicating I was still at least car length behind (where I was expecting to actually be haha). Bloody game! :p

Nice little fight through the first sector though dude before Codey's stepped in! (y)
Yeah it was a good battle! Did it look like I was lagging?

ZeQ420

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Mar 30, 2017
Yeah it was a good battle! Did it look like I was lagging?
Nope, none before it and none after it. It was just the game 'having a moment' as usual fella. I've played lots of games that have players from all over the world (as I'm sure you have) and they manage to not have these massive lag-spikes. If they can do it, why ze fook can't Codey's? :p

Mcquiz95

Formula Karter
Aug 26, 2017
Q:2
Got a great final lap in, but Denzamo got even a better one so P2 it was. I was quite happy with that.

R:5

Had poor pace initially and fell down to P4, stuck as close as I could for half the race behind @AOR Davidben but I just could not improve my position. Since there were no signs of the weather changing and my tyres were getting worn I pitted for a new set of inters. That got me into P3 first and then I got past @AOR Davidben. Then the grip changed and I had to fight tooth and nail to keep both Ben and Denzamo behind me. There were quite a few hairy moments, but both of them got past. Then suddenly the conditions were similar to what warrants a Red flag in the real F1 and I had to wait a whole lap before I could pit for Wets. I lost around 10 seconds in that lap. Came out in P6 and being absolutely furious about the weather system and my Down engineer chased down HoinkDoink and overtook into P5 before the race was over.

All in all a shitshow and Mexico appears to be more of the same.

Congratz to the podium finishers, whatever the order ends up being in the end.

No footage of the start as the race was too damn long.

ZeQ420

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Mar 30, 2017
Q:2
Got a great final lap in, but Denzamo got even a better one so P2 it was. I was quite happy with that.

R:5

Had poor pace initially and fell down to P4, stuck as close as I could for half the race behind @AOR Davidben but I just could not improve my position. Since there were no signs of the weather changing and my tyres were getting worn I pitted for a new set of inters. That got me into P3 first and then I got past @AOR Davidben. Then the grip changed and I had to fight tooth and nail to keep both Ben and Denzamo behind me. There were quite a few hairy moments, but both of them got past. Then suddenly the conditions were similar to what warrants a Red flag in the real F1 and I had to wait a whole lap before I could pit for Wets. I lost around 10 seconds in that lap. Came out in P6 and being absolutely furious about the weather system and my Down engineer chased down HoinkDoink and overtook into P5 before the race was over.

All in all a shitshow and Mexico appears to be more of the same.

Congratz to the podium finishers, whatever the order ends up being in the end.

No footage of the start as the race was too damn long.
Man, you're soooooooooooooooooo much smoother on the throttle than I am! If you concentrated on up-shifting early when in 2nd and 3rd gear coming out of slow corners (when it's raining), you'd take the **** out of most of us in the wet lol. You're getting too high on the rev counter... even when as smooth as yourself, those tyres will just still spin until you get to 4th. Once you're there, your foot can go to the floor on the throttle. Cracking result considering the extra pit-stop though dude. (y)