PS4 - Round 18 - Mexican Grand Prix [04/03/2018 8:00PM] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 Round 18 - Mexican Grand Prix [04/03/2018 8:00PM]

Roadhouse

Pro Karter
Sep 21, 2017
Great racing last night lads, made what is quite a dull track (imo) a very entertaining race. Had a nice little fight with @MattDavies2511 after I got passed into T1 at the start but got a small amount of FW damage from a very minimal and innocuous bit of contact at the start of lap 5. Cost me about 2-3 tenths a lap from what i was doing in practice but was still able to maintain decent enough pace so decided not to change it in the stops. The last half of the race was very sweaty defending from @SolidNinjaSnake on newer softs than mine, and then a bit later on from @KaneIyanda on the supers. Managed to just about hold them both off until Kane got past on the last lap but fortunately regained the position on pens at the end. Was good fun throughout though and I'm happy to get back on the podium after 2 races where the results didn't match the pace i had. Congrats to @MattDavies2511 on yet another win and @SolidNinjaSnake for a great comeback drive again. Also to @KaneIyanda for making the two stop work to such good effect and very nearly grabbing P2 at the end, and a salute to @DON SILVA for being the only one not to get a penalty - good effort! :)

KaneIyanda

Reigning PS4 F4 Bottlejob
Premium Member
May 7, 2017
Was good to have you back at the front lad!
It was a pleasure to be there. Hopefully I can go into the last races with a bit more confidence behind me, I’ve had the pace at most tracks just had a lot of bad luck. Congrats on another win, you’ve made a mockery of F4 this season

MattDavies2511

PS4 S14 F4 and PCars S9 GT3 Semi-Pro Champion
Jan 15, 2017

MattDavies2511

Jan 15, 2017
Great racing last night lads, made what is quite a dull track (imo) a very entertaining race. Had a nice little fight with @MattDavies2511 after I got passed into T1 at the start but got a small amount of FW damage from a very minimal and innocuous bit of contact at the start of lap 5. Cost me about 2-3 tenths a lap from what i was doing in practice but was still able to maintain decent enough pace so decided not to change it in the stops. The last half of the race was very sweaty defending from @SolidNinjaSnake on newer softs than mine, and then a bit later on from @KaneIyanda on the supers. Managed to just about hold them both off until Kane got past on the last lap but fortunately regained the position on pens at the end. Was good fun throughout though and I'm happy to get back on the podium after 2 races where the results didn't match the pace i had. Congrats to @MattDavies2511 on yet another win and @SolidNinjaSnake for a great comeback drive again. Also to @KaneIyanda for making the two stop work to such good effect and very nearly grabbing P2 at the end, and a salute to @DON SILVA for being the only one not to get a penalty - good effort! :)
I am sorry, I didn't have any contact on my screen :banghead:

KaneIyanda

Premium Member
May 7, 2017
I wish you both luck. I shall be there to cause as many problems as I can tho

SolidNinjaSnake

S13 AOR PS4 F4 Champion
Nov 27, 2016
I worked out that if Solid was to beat me Brazil, he must finish on the podium to take the championship to Abu Dhabi.
Even then, for me to win the Championship in the last race, I'd need to win and you to get no points at all! :hilarious:

I shall give it a go though! Now if only I could do something about my qualifying... =(

Reactions: MattDavies2511

MattDavies2511

Jan 15, 2017
Even then, for me to win the Championship in the last race, I'd need to win and you to get no points at all! :hilarious:

I shall give it a go though! Now if only I could do something about my qualifying... =(
Use the win it or bin it approach, it seems to have worked lately :unsure:

SolidNinjaSnake

S13 AOR PS4 F4 Champion
Nov 27, 2016
Warning: Long race report incoming. Shocking, I know! :hilarious:
TL;DR - Watch the video at the end of the post! My words probably don't give the battling justice! :)

Qualifying
I had already planned my race strategy to go Super Softs to Softs, so I started qualifying just putting a few laps in on the Ultra Softs, running around in lean. I was looking for a lap of a 17.5 but I was just a bit off it, leaving me to sit in a comfortable last haha, or at least out of those who had put in a valid time.
Pitted after setting three laps and went out again on Super Softs. My first lap wasn't too great, but then I managed to put in the fastest lap I had done on Super Softs of a 1:16.442. I was hoping I'd get about 5th or 6th but unfortunately, my time was only good enough for 9th. Had I qualified on Ultra Softs then I'd have been around 5th or 6th I think. Although if I improved on my best time on those tyres like I did on the Super Softs, it could have even been 3rd.

Race
Managed to gain two places by the third corner while I felt a few bumps on my rear, then down at T4 I received a hefty whack which thankfully didn't spin me around. Not sure if it was @InFinityzzHD? After this, I held stationary in P7 until DRS came online where it wasn't until Lap 5 where I was able to have a go at passing @Senaattori down at T4. I had a go but he was able to hang on alongside me through T5 where T6 I tried the switchback but to no avail. The next lap the exact same happened but at T6 I tried to stick around the outside but again, I couldn't get through. The next lap I had a go at T1 where he ran out wide and rejoined for T2 where we somehow didn't make any contact, but eventually did on the exit of T3 before we went through the next series of corners the exact same as the last two laps haha. However this time I was able to somewhat stay alongside him before deciding to concede for T7 and remain behind. Looking back I think I should have stayed with it and made the pass there. Finally, the next lap on Lap 8 he makes a mistake at T4, almost losing the car which let me squeeze past in what space was available. Very quickly after T6 I almost lose the car myself but thankfully catch it haha. At this point due to others pitting I was up into P3, now 5.7 seconds behind after being held up with that battle with Senaattori, but what a battle it was! Great racing! =)

With me being on the harder tyre, I could see I was gaining on @Roadhouse ahead before he pitted on Lap 12, giving me now P1. During the battle with @Senaattori, I noticed some people pitting earlier on which I was expecting them to two stop, leaving me to think that I had a chance to get a podium. I later pitted on Lap 14 and came back out in P8... behind bloody Senaattori again haha! Straight after coming out of the pits though, I unexpectedly felt a tap on my rear at T1 and looked behind to see @S40TYD had spun. Not sure if he went for a pass or just missed his braking point (didn't have any double arrows until I had turned in for the corner), but either way I'm sorry for the outcome. =(
Thankfully the next lap I was able to quickly get past Senaattori at T1 and a lap later get past @advanceapple as well to put me in P5.

Next was @Roadhouse again where the gap was 5.9 seconds. Again I was gaining on him and I could even see @MattDavies2511 just ahead too! Giving me the quick thought of I could possibly win this! Lap 27 I finally get close enough to be given DRS but couldn't do anything. Next lap I went for the move at T4 where his car slid slightly, almost as if I had made contact with him, but regardless he soon gave me a bump at T5 where I proceeded to stick around the outside of T6 to claim 2nd for T7! Now for the leader @MattDavies2511, who was only 3.4 seconds ahead! With me being on fresher Softs than him, I thought I had a good chance here, but Roadhouse would ruin the plan! As the next lap round I thought I had him covered, but out of nowhere he appeared for T2, forcing me to go off line and take a bad line through T3. I tried to defend at T4 but he still went down my inside where I couldn't do the switchback. Next lap round I went to pass at T1 but he hung alongside me, leaving me to try a switchback and get a good exit off T3 where I went for a move at T4 where he left just enough space, but I again I couldn't get through! I was starting to get concerned now as I could see @MattDavies2511 starting to pull away but more worryingly, I could see @KaneIyanda quickly catching up to me! Before I knew it, coming to the final corner, I could see double proximity arrows behind me... I was able to keep ahead but I couldn't do anything at T4, 5 and 6 as he goes down the inside and passes me. I was low on fuel at this point so I was contemplating about saving fuel to then have one final go at the end of the race, however on the next lap through the quick left rights in the middle sector, he goes off track! Letting me reclaim 3rd place, which didn't last long as he soon blasted back past me at T1. I don't know what happened the next lap but he ended up off the track again but this time I couldn't get past. During this time @nezehran behind was catching up to me and on the last lap was literally right behind me. Luckily I was able to finish in 4th, literally running out of fuel as I crossed the line, which ended up being P3 due to penalties.

Say what you will about this track, but what a race that was! I still feel like my strategy was a decent attempt and it looks as if it would have worked if it wasn't for getting held up in the battles with @Senaattori and @Roadhouse, but what battles they were! Brilliant racing! =)
Just like the last race out in USA, I can't complain about the result, this time going from P9 to P3. Congrats to @MattDavies2511 on another win and @Roadhouse for a well deserved P2. Shoutout to @DON SILVA this time who was the only driver to not get a penalty haha. Also a shoutout to @baba99jaga who went from P15 to P7, nice job! =)

I'm sure everyone is well aware of the Championship situation, where it looks unlikely to go my way now, but I'll certainly give it a go! Hopefully I can get a win out of one of the races at least. Came fairly close these two last races.

Here's the video which, let's be honest, is the better alternative than reading a whole lot of text from me! :hilarious:

InFinityzzHD

PS4 Triple Crown 2018 Indy 500 Champion
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2017
TL;DR - Watch the video at the end of the post! My words probably don't give the battling justice! :)

Qualifying
I had already planned my race strategy to go Super Softs to Softs, so I started qualifying just putting a few laps in on the Ultra Softs, running around in lean. I was looking for a lap of a 17.5 but I was just a bit off it, leaving me to sit in a comfortable last haha, or at least out of those who had put in a valid time.
Pitted after setting three laps and went out again on Super Softs. My first lap wasn't too great, but then I managed to put in the fastest lap I had done on Super Softs of a 1:16.442. I was hoping I'd get about 5th or 6th but unfortunately, my time was only good enough for 9th. Had I qualified on Ultra Softs then I'd have been around 5th or 6th I think. Although if I improved on my best time on those tyres like I did on the Super Softs, it could have even been 3rd.

Race
Managed to gain two places by the third corner while I felt a few bumps on my rear, then down at T4 I received a hefty whack which thankfully didn't spin me around. Not sure if it was @InFinityzzHD? After this, I held stationary in P7 until DRS came online where it wasn't until Lap 5 where I was able to have a go at passing @Senaattori down at T4. I had a go but he was able to hang on alongside me through T5 where T6 I tried the switchback but to no avail. The next lap the exact same happened but at T6 I tried to stick around the outside but again, I couldn't get through. The next lap I had a go at T1 where he ran out wide and rejoined for T2 where we somehow didn't make any contact, but eventually did on the exit of T3 before we went through the next series of corners the exact same as the last two laps haha. However this time I was able to somewhat stay alongside him before deciding to concede for T7 and remain behind. Looking back I think I should have stayed with it and made the pass there. Finally, the next lap on Lap 8 he makes a mistake at T4, almost losing the car which let me squeeze past in what space was available. Very quickly after T6 I almost lose the car myself but thankfully catch it haha. At this point due to others pitting I was up into P3, now 5.7 seconds behind after being held up with that battle with Senaattori, but what a battle it was! Great racing! =)

With me being on the harder tyre, I could see I was gaining on @Roadhouse ahead before he pitted on Lap 12, giving me now P1. During the battle with @Senaattori, I noticed some people pitting earlier on which I was expecting them to two stop, leaving me to think that I had a chance to get a podium. I later pitted on Lap 14 and came back out in P8... behind bloody Senaattori again haha! Straight after coming out of the pits though, I unexpectedly felt a tap on my rear at T1 and looked behind to see @S40TYD had spun. Not sure if he went for a pass or just missed his braking point (didn't have any double arrows until I had turned in for the corner), but either way I'm sorry for the outcome. =(
Thankfully the next lap I was able to quickly get past Senaattori at T1 and a lap later get past @advanceapple as well to put me in P5.

Next was @Roadhouse again where the gap was 5.9 seconds. Again I was gaining on him and I could even see @MattDavies2511 just ahead too! Giving me the quick thought of I could possibly win this! Lap 27 I finally get close enough to be given DRS but couldn't do anything. Next lap I went for the move at T4 where his car slid slightly, almost as if I had made contact with him, but regardless he soon gave me a bump at T5 where I proceeded to stick around the outside of T6 to claim 2nd for T7! Now for the leader @MattDavies2511, who was only 3.4 seconds ahead! With me being on fresher Softs than him, I thought I had a good chance here, but Roadhouse would ruin the plan! As the next lap round I thought I had him covered, but out of nowhere he appeared for T2, forcing me to go off line and take a bad line through T3. I tried to defend at T4 but he still went down my inside where I couldn't do the switchback. Next lap round I went to pass at T1 but he hung alongside me, leaving me to try a switchback and get a good exit off T3 where I went for a move at T4 where he left just enough space, but I again I couldn't get through! I was starting to get concerned now as I could see @MattDavies2511 starting to pull away but more worryingly, I could see @KaneIyanda quickly catching up to me! Before I knew it, coming to the final corner, I could see double proximity arrows behind me... I was able to keep ahead but I couldn't do anything at T4, 5 and 6 as he goes down the inside and passes me. I was low on fuel at this point so I was contemplating about saving fuel to then have one final go at the end of the race, however on the next lap through the quick left rights in the middle sector, he goes off track! Letting me reclaim 3rd place, which didn't last long as he soon blasted back past me at T1. I don't know what happened the next lap but he ended up off the track again but this time I couldn't get past. During this time @nezehran behind was catching up to me and on the last lap was literally right behind me. Luckily I was able to finish in 4th, literally running out of fuel as I crossed the line, which ended up being P3 due to penalties.

Say what you will about this track, but what a race that was! I still feel like my strategy was a decent attempt and it looks as if it would have worked if it wasn't for getting held up in the battles with @Senaattori and @Roadhouse, but what battles they were! Brilliant racing! =)
Just like the last race out in USA, I can't complain about the result, this time going from P9 to P3. Congrats to @MattDavies2511 on another win and @Roadhouse for a well deserved P2. Shoutout to @DON SILVA this time who was the only driver to not get a penalty haha. Also a shoutout to @baba99jaga who went from P15 to P7, nice job! =)

I'm sure everyone is well aware of the Championship situation, where it looks unlikely to go my way now, but I'll certainly give it a go! Hopefully I can get a win out of one of the races at least. Came fairly close these two last races.

Here's the video which, let's be honest, is the better alternative than reading a whole lot of text from me! :hilarious:

Yeah sorry mate, that was me. I was massively divebombed going into T4 and had to take some avoiding action to not get any damage, luckily nothing happened when I hit u. Sorry again

Roadhouse

Pro Karter
Sep 21, 2017
I am sorry, I didn't have any contact on my screen :banghead:
No worries fella, was barely any contact on my screen either. It did that thing where my Jeff told me i had damage but the car looked fine and the MFD didn't show anything either. Still not 100% sure whether i did have any damage but it definitely felt a bit understeery in the quick stuff so that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it :p

MattDavies2511

Jan 15, 2017
Race POV:
Quali: 1st

Stuffed up my first run invalidating it and feeling like a mong. I did my second run planning on two laps as I said to myself, "make sure I get a valid lap in then go balls to the wall"

I then happened to set a new online PB around Mexico on my first lap, so I retired as I didn't think I would have been able to find much more time.

Race:1st

Was a super race, my start was good but I was running slightly more front wing to ensure i was able to look after my front tyres on a 1 stop. I then got out dragged into T1 and wasn' t willing the send it down the inside. So accepted P2 and worked to closing the gap. For 7 straight laps @Roadhouse and I were wheel to wheel pretty much until I was able to DRS my way past. From then I pulled a gap as quickly as possible until my stop on lap 10. This was earlier than I had planned but as @KaneIyanda was on a 2 stopper I wan't to ensure his undercut wasn't too large, so when he pitted for the 2nd time I would have been able to take the lead back.

This was when I made a slight error and pushed a little to hard too soon, I had worn my tyres alot quicker than normal. So when @nezehran came up behind me on quicker SS tyres I had to start to play the long game and let him through. Once everyone had made their last stops I was in full conservation mode as my tyres were something like 50 odd % with like 8-10laps to go. I knew once they got past 75% I would risk a puncture. So I drove within myself trying not to get worried when I saw @SolidNinjaSnake pass @Roadhouse then having a 3 second gap knowing he would close it, on fresher tyres.

Thankfully, @Roadhouse and @KaneIyanda got back past him (you legends :love:) cooling my nerves abit. They then started to battle on track, so I knew I could win from then on.

Loved that one, the strategy made it very very interesting, I miss the days of higher tyre wear and more strategy tbh. Looking forward to Brazil and I'll try to not think about the championship going into it... :rofl::bag:

KaneIyanda

Premium Member
May 7, 2017
I promise I will do my race report some time this year

MattDavies2511

Jan 15, 2017

KaneIyanda

Premium Member
May 7, 2017
Fancy uploading some POV's

For a friend... he is doing a montage :rofl::unsure:
I will get around to that very soon, if I don’t see the clip of me being wiped out at spa then I’ll be disappointed:lol::lol:

S40TYD

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Dec 18, 2017

Qualifying

Race

@SolidNinjaSnake totally not your fault at all I was having a nightmare had adjusted my wheel settings before the race and couldn't brake to save myself. Was trying to brake enough and allow you to continue ahead. Just glad I didn't wipe you out. Unfortunately @InFinityzzHD got caught up in my spin. I took the decision to retire the car as I felt I was becoming a hazard.

Best of luck to you all in the final 2 races. Hope to improve and be in the mix come season 15.