PS4 - Round 18 - Mexican Grand Prix - Sunday 4th March 2018 - [8:00pm (UK time)] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 Round 18 - Mexican Grand Prix - Sunday 4th March 2018 - [8:00pm (UK time)]

washy03

Reigning S14 AOR PS4 F8 Champion
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 2, 2016
Round 18 - Mexican Grand Prix
AOR F1 2017 Season 14

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 4th March 2018
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez
Laps: 36

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:

MORETHANAMAZING

F1 Coordinator and Bottlejob Extraordinaire
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 1, 2014

Jason007

F1 Coordinator
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2017
After my disappointing performance at COTA, I'm out for redemption!

iej76

Formula 4 1st Driver
Oct 15, 2015
Mexicans make great carpet fitters.

Seca

Formula 3 Test Driver
Sep 15, 2016
Guys, I am not going to make this race. Sorry.

MORETHANAMAZING

F1 Coordinator and Bottlejob Extraordinaire
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 1, 2014

My eventful race and terrible crash
Enjoy :)

Jason007

F1 Coordinator
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2017
Qualy: P16
Race: P11

Pre-Race Interview
I was feeling very good going into this race in Mexico. Plenty of practice throughout the week, plus a full practice with others in F8 on Saturday, finally ending with F2 races Saturday afternoon. Race 2 of F2 yielded me with a P9, so that boosted my confidence for the F8 race. As for qualification, P16 was just disappointing. I think P16 is the worst qualy I've ever had. I'll have my work cut out for me. Onto the race...

Race
LIGHTS OUT! (2:30) - Weather forecast was calling for inters conditions from lights to flag. After my poor performance at COTA last week in the wet, I wasn't quite sure how this one would turn out. Waiting for the lights...

LIGHTS OUT STILL! (2:40) - And we're off! The rear gets a bit loose coming off the line in the wet. @jerryforce gets loose and almost goes into the pit wall. A gap opens up and I slip between @HoinkDoink and @Da Eagle down the straight, hoping neither would squeeze me out.

LIGHTS OUT STILLLLL! (3:00) - Thru turn 1 half the grid, including myself take the long way around. I carefully rejoin the track but end up sending it wide into turn 2. @Limaro Fipama gets loose and I lift to go around. This gives @HoinkDoink an opportunity to overtake on my left. We go side by side towards turn 4.

LIGHTS OUT STILLLLLLL! (3:25) - I nearly make contact with @ZeQ420 thru turn 5, but manage to save my wing. Up into P12 as this point.

Lap 1 (3:40) - Thru turn 7 and turn 8 @gohst 's rears loose traction and goes into the side of @ZeQ420. They both manage to stay on track, but bits of carbon fiber liter the track. I manage to sneak by for P10, but I run wide exiting turn 11 and @HoinkDoink capitalizes to take P10. Down to P11 now.

Lap 2 (5:40) - @boofon gets loose in the paint enter the stadium, which condenses the field a bit. A train forms, lead by @slipstream followed by @James Boniface @HoinkDoink and me.

Lap 3 (6:00) - I get a good exit out of the final turn and with the help of a tow and rich mix I overtake @HoinkDoink down the long main straight (This would set a course of unfortunate events very very soon). Up into P9.

Lap 4 (8:10) - @James Boniface and @MORETHANAMAZING have a cheeky battle through the turns. Good fun to watch. I wait to capitalize on a possible mistake.

Lap 4 (8:45) - THE END OF DAYS! Heading towards the stadium section I loose focus and miss my braking point. By braking hard then suddenly releasing to make the turn my rear end cuts loose and I start drifting into the stadium. Sliding sideways onto the paint I go full-lock left hoping to correct and keep moving. In the dry this might of worked, but not the wet. Still in full-lock I slide back on the track, but not how I wanted. Realizing this won't work I brake hoping to get the car back under control. No use. At this point I'm sideways across the track and see a red arrow indicator... uh oh. BOOM! @HoinkDoink and I make serious contact. The impact is so violent it spins be back 270 degrees, facing the complete wrong direction. How neither of us ended up with a DNF I have no idea, but my wing is only yellow damaged. At that exact moment I ghost and @ZeQ420 passes thru me.

Lap 4 Continued (8:55) - Okay, now I'm in trouble. Im on track, facing the wrong direction, in wet conditions. at the exit of a blind right turn. I attempt to move off the track while trying not to get DQ'd for driving in the wrong direction. I manage to get off track just as @Limaro Fipama @gohst go by. Sorry fellas, that had to have been a scary sight going thru the corner. I wait for the remaining cars to go by and spin back around.

Lap 4 Continueded (9:17) - I see the message that my teammate is the in pits. At this point I felt horrible as I ruined @HoinkDoink 's race (I apologized after the race in private). I head into the pits for a new wing. To maintain any possibility of points I decide to stick to the two stop strategy and extend the inter's stints. I exit the pits in P18. R...A...C...E...O...V...E...R...

Lap 5 - 36 - Well... nothing really happens. I box for my remaining set of inters and take a leisurely Sunday drive. @Limaro Fipama was ahead in P10, but considering I was over +20 secs back and on old inters, points were out of the question. Just get the car home. That was my goal.

Lap 35 (58:30) - Entering the stadium @washy03 has already won and confetti cannons are going off. I breathe a sigh of relief that I made it to the end and also that this disaster of a race is over. P11 and +1 lap. Uggh.

Post-Race Interview: What could have been? What could have been? One missed braking point and it botches the following 32 laps. An unfortunate situation I put myself in, and couldn't even plan on it. I was expecting some wing damage on Lap 1, but not spinning at the stadium. On the positive side I managed to bring the car home in P11 after qualifying P16. The drive was enjoyable actually. Somewhat relaxing.

Congrats to @washy03 on another win!
Congrats to @Mcquiz95 and @denzamo on the podiums!
Apologies to @HoinkDoink for breaking your wing!

Onto Interlagos!

boofon

Formula Karter
Nov 27, 2017
Qualy: P1
Race: P8

Qualy
Buzzing to get my first pole. Has a 1.16.1/2 in me, but happy to take with a 1.16.5. Amazing how close the top 9/10 positions were. Second time on the front row. The pace is there. The only dampener (excuse the pun) was the fact that it was gonna be raining for the race. I had done no wet practice and I knew I would be struggling to keep it facing forward let alone stay ahead.

Race
Wiggling all over the place off the line I was in 6th by the end of the first chicane. Struggled on for a few laps when suddenly I started to get my bearings. I just got the T3PA Pro pedals on Saturday and they make braking in the wet so much easier (and just general braking consistency in dry also).

In 6th I was doing okay before overshooting my entry to the stadium section when fiddling with my fuel mixes. Down to 16th.

From this point on I did okay, was pretty consistent, making my way up to finish 8th with a couple of good laps racing @HoinkDoink @ZeQ420 along the way.

Despite the disappointment of going from 1st to 8th, I am buzzing with the new pedals in the dry and especially in the wet and expect to see my race performances improve in Brazil and AD.

Well done @washy03. Class commentary @Soupcooler. @Mcquiz95 you are defo still in with a chance bro!

washy03

Reigning S14 AOR PS4 F8 Champion
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 2, 2016
Q: 6th

In qualifying practice leading up to the race I had done a 1:16.009 and was quietly confident of a pole position.
It didn’t quite happen but the 6th place is deceptive as I’m sure it was just a tenth away from pole.

I lifted on my last flying lap going into the stadium section, as I panicked when @Mcquiz95 Mercedes was parked across the track. I improved my time but wondered what could have been if I didn’t slightly lift.

Great pole for @boofon well done mate.

R: 1st

Made a good getaway and coming out of the first corner, I had jumped 3 cars and was sat in 3rd. Nearly overtook @RobKite too who was second but after some gentle sidepod rubbing I decided to back out and live to fight another day.

@Mcquiz95 had made a good start, and it was frustrating me to see him driving off up the road in the lead. I felt i was faster than rob in the conditions but not fast enough to make a move.
I tried an unusual line to get a good exit out of turn 3 but caught rob too quick as I was switiching back, so had to lift. This allowed @MORETHANAMAZING to slip up my inside and we drag raced down the straight. Fortunately, @MORETHANAMAZING can be trusted to race wheel to wheel and I left him the inside knowing I’d have the inside for the next 3 corners.
This worked and I carried on trying catch rob.

Having no idea what strategy to use in these conditions, @denzamo and myself frantically discussed the best course of action and settled on the 2 stop.
Having a competitive team mate causes problems at pit stops as we have to try and avoid double stacking.
We agreed for denz to pit first and I would try and cover off mcquiz.
I decided to try and undercut @Mcquiz95, he went on an extra 3 Laps or so and it became clear he was gambling on a one stop.
Those 3 Laps on fresher tyres got me the undercut and a little 2 second cushion to 2nd place.

For the rest of the race I had to manage my tyres as efficiently as possible. I had come in for my first tyre swap to suit a 2 stop strategy but @Mcquiz95 had forced my hand on converting to a 1 stop and stretching the tyres an uncomfortably long time.

Nothing else happened really, I managed the gap and increased it to around 9 seconds.
I finished the race on about 66% wear. I feel I’m getting stronger and stronger in the wet.

There so many fast guys in the league now. Have to give a mention to @Stewart Macdougall and @boofon for showing their potential this round. Noodles 7th place was a greater achievement than his 6th in a field as strong as this.

Congrats on the podiums to @Mcquiz95 And @denzamo. Unlucky @AOR Davidben to miss out on penalties.

iej76

Formula 4 1st Driver
Oct 15, 2015
My race highlights with commentary

Oct 18, 2017
Q: 6th

In qualifying practice leading up to the race I had done a 1:16.009 and was quietly confident of a pole position.
It didn’t quite happen but the 6th place is deceptive as I’m sure it was just a tenth away from pole.

I lifted on my last flying lap going into the stadium section, as I panicked when @Mcquiz95 Mercedes was parked across the track. I improved my time but wondered what could have been if I didn’t slightly lift.

Great pole for @boofon well done mate.

R: 1st

Made a good getaway and coming out of the first corner, I had jumped 3 cars and was sat in 3rd. Nearly overtook @RobKite too who was second but after some gentle sidepod rubbing I decided to back out and live to fight another day.

@Mcquiz95 had made a good start, and it was frustrating me to see him driving off up the road in the lead. I felt i was faster than rob in the conditions but not fast enough to make a move.
I tried an unusual line to get a good exit out of turn 3 but caught rob too quick as I was switiching back, so had to lift. This allowed @MORETHANAMAZING to slip up my inside and we drag raced down the straight. Fortunately, @MORETHANAMAZING can be trusted to race wheel to wheel and I left him the inside knowing I’d have the inside for the next 3 corners.
This worked and I carried on trying catch rob.

Having no idea what strategy to use in these conditions, @denzamo and myself frantically discussed the best course of action and settled on the 2 stop.
Having a competitive team mate causes problems at pit stops as we have to try and avoid double stacking.
We agreed for denz to pit first and I would try and cover off mcquiz.
I decided to try and undercut @Mcquiz95, he went on an extra 3 Laps or so and it became clear he was gambling on a one stop.
Those 3 Laps on fresher tyres got me the undercut and a little 2 second cushion to 2nd place.

For the rest of the race I had to manage my tyres as efficiently as possible. I had come in for my first tyre swap to suit a 2 stop strategy but @Mcquiz95 had forced my hand on converting to a 1 stop and stretching the tyres an uncomfortably long time.

Nothing else happened really, I managed the gap and increased it to around 9 seconds.
I finished the race on about 66% wear. I feel I’m getting stronger and stronger in the wet.

There so many fast guys in the league now. Have to give a mention to @Stewart Macdougall and @boofon for showing their potential this round. Noodles 7th place was a greater achievement than his 6th in a field as strong as this.

Congrats on the podiums to @Mcquiz95 And @denzamo. Unlucky @AOR Davidben to miss out on penalties.
a bit more confidence battling you guys and better stratergy might been a bit higher up. Really didn't think you could last on then inters for so long fair play.

HoinkDoink

F1 Coordinator
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Feb 18, 2017
Really had no idea what I was doing at this track, couldn't get to grips with it whatsoever, struggled no end through the bends and the final little section in the stadium, really was not expecting any points here so I am more than happy with 9th.

Q - 13 - Saw it was raining and I had done no wet practice whatsoever, new I struggled with the s bends and the stadium section so through on a Monaco set up with 11/11 wings, and the set up was absolutely terrible.

R - 9 - Pretty much new I was in for trouble before the race started, the set up I had was bloody horrible.
Managed to get off the line alright and out of nowhere a wild @AOR Davidben appeared infront of me, I'm not even sure if I touched his bum but piled on the brakes to avoid a massive pile up, I think @caddiedamus got a bit caught up in it all as he was behind me and I think he knocked his front wing :(

Not sure what position I fell to, but through the next few bends I caught up to my team mate @Jason007 and we followed each other around for a few laps making our way through the field and then we had a little @denzamo @ZeQ420 incident like they did in Bahrain, @Jason007 went into the stadium section and went a bit wide which threw his car around and I pretty much impregniated his car with mine, how we both survived I'll never know, think he said I hit his car around 270 degrees and God knows where my whole front wing went to, probably still wedged in the side of @Jason007 car.

Came into the pits to change my front wing and from there I only wanted to make 1 more pit stop to try stay in sync with the rest of the field, found myself ahead of @boofon and @ZeQ420 after they had both pitted and had a nice little battle, no idea how I kept them behind me, with 11/11 wings the car was like a tank, was just watching them behind me close down the gap on the straight like a rocket even without DRS working, Jesus christ 11/11 wings were awful :D I checked my tyres about 10 laps later as I thought it was getting a bit harder to drive than it already was and I see my tyres at 81 tyre, Oh God, pitted straight away. Yeah I had a great time driving that car, rocking set up :p

I somehow found myself up into 10th place and new I had to pit again, the only person I could see myself catching was @Limaro Fipama who was a few seconds up the road but wasn't sure if he had to pit or not, luckily he did and with my tyres again around the 80% tyre wear I dove into the pits a lap later and came out infront of him.

Coming out of my last pit stop @washy03 had lapped me so I followed him home, glad to see the back of Mexico :)

Well done to @washy03 on the win and to @Mcquiz95 and @denzamo on the podium position.

Special shoutout to @Stewart Macdougall on a great race :)

Last edited: