PS4 - Round 18 - United States GP [5/3/2017 - 8pm GMT] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 Round 18 - United States GP [5/3/2017 - 8pm GMT]

dFlashAshb

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 3, 2016
Race Report

Qualy: 2nd

Not what i wanted going into the session as had done under 1:37 in practise but really struggled to light the tyres up i guess. I was actually really happy to be second when i saw the grid though, but also because i had struggled with turn 1 a few times starting on the right hand side of the track and preferred the inside run up to turn 1.

Race:2nd

Got a decent start and nearly took @DON SILVA in turn 1 but i ended up slotting in behind him before the esses. I expected his pace to be a lot quicker and i was all over him and really should have made the pass stick on the first couple of laps. We battled far too much for my liking and eventually the small gap we had opened up closed up and @blake300892 got in on the action capitalising on the opportunity and passing me for 2nd. By now i had realised how to make the move stick and got passed him and Don in quick succession and very quickly opened up a gap within a lap.

Don pitted and we both knew how much the undercut was worth. I wondered if i had pitted the same lap as him whether i would have cleared the cluster **** of 4 or 5 cars that we both got caught up in. I could see on the HUD the position i was going to come out in dancing around all over the place and realised i was struggling for traction exiting the slow turns. After what happened on the following laps i wish i had stayed out another lap or 2 as there is a good chance i may have cleared the group, but it's easy to look back and see that you picked the worst option of the bunch.

I can't even recall what happened over the following laps, so much so that i have to watch my footage with it paused more than playing, but i know at the time i felt i had been forced off the track on a number of occasions when i had earned the right to space. End of lap 11 and Don span on the last turn after making contact with one of the group and by the esses on lap 12 i was on the back of @OurRobOrRoss, Blake, @Philip_66 and @Donks. The pace was shocking but down the back straight i got past Rob and the Phillip seemed to brake ridiculously early i dodged him down the outside and just held onto the corner. Exit of the turn and Phillip's back wheel caught my front and spun me off onto the grass. By the time i rejoined i was behind @chris130256 and Don again, though i was relieved to see he was on mediums and knew he couldn't possibly fight me off.

I took don down the pit straight but braked too early and had to give it back going into the esses and we were now back into a 7 car train. I managed to get alongside Don again running down the hill before the back straight and though he got better traction out of the corner Chris had spun up a bit and held him up and we ended up 3 wide down the straight and then 2 wide through the following 5 corners before we settled back in Don from me from Chris. Turn 1 on lap 14 i took Don around the outside and exiting turn 2 was confronted by Blake spinning wildly and Donks coming back across the track with me and Don still side by side. Fortunately he ghosted as my race would have been over and me and Don went wheel to wheel through the first 3 of the esses. Quite how i will never know, perhaps we were ghosting as well but i ran wide on the 4th and had to concede the place and my attention was instantly onto the fact that @neil rutter was the next car behind and a glance at the map showed a train of potentially 6 to 10 cars immediately behind. At this point i thought my race was over. I'd lost 20 seconds at least since the pit stop and it didn't look good.

I stuck it in rich despite being in fuel deficit now and just gunned it. Took don through the turns after the back straight and lined up Phillip in 3rd. Phillip ran wide in turn 1 and we went side to side through 2 with another twitchy bum moment going into the esses side by side but fortunately Phil lost some speed running over the apex of 2 and was forced to pull in behind me. Somebody pitted and i hadn't noticed but by the time i got onto the back straight to regroup Neil had taken 3rd and i had a nice gap as well as now running 2nd 8 seconds down on Sultan but on the faster tyre. The game was on, i had no penalty's at this point and suspected i just had to get within 3 seconds of Sultan and would take the win.

Unfortunately Sultan had other ideas, his pace was good on the mediums and despite having a clear track in front and behind i could never close him down enough. I did get the gap to under 3 seconds, but in the process had picked up a 3 second penalty which was a huge disappointment so i ragged the bollocks off the car for 13 laps and as it ended up had i not got the penalty i would have jumped him on the results screen.

It was a hell of race, never seen so much action though i do think some people need to think about how aggressive they are when defending and running wheel to wheel, although i have no grudges against anyone despite saying that. Tonight i took part in some of the cleanest and fairest wheel to wheel action you could possibly have, I just think that when you look at my footage there will be a number of occasions where i really deserved better treatment. Perhaps i've done the same at times but i honestly think that i always give space if someone is alongside whether inside or out.

Well done @Elite_sultan on the win, @OurRobOrRoss for jumping @neil rutter to the final podium position, and everyone else racing out there as well. It was a wild one ! Not here next week so i'll be seeing you all in practise for Interlagos, the race i've been counting down to since signing up to this league. :)

Footage will be up tomorrow unless it crashes again.. :p

Qualy

Race

Last edited:
Reactions: Wobbuffet

Elite_sultan

Ex Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 13, 2014
Race Report

Qualy: 2nd

Not what i wanted going into the session as had done under 1:37 in practise but really struggled to light the tyres up i guess. I was actually really happy to be second when i saw the grid though, but also because i had struggled with turn 1 a few times starting on the right hand side of the track and preferred the inside run up to turn 1.

Race:2nd

Got a decent start and nearly took @DON SILVA in turn 1 but i ended up slotting in behind him before the esses. I expected his pace to be a lot quicker and i was all over him and really should have made the pass stick on the first couple of laps. We battled far too much for my liking and eventually the small gap we had opened up closed up and @blake300892 got in on the action capitalising on the opportunity and passing me for 2nd. By now i had realised how to make the move stick and got passed him and Don in quick succession and very quickly opened up a gap within a lap.

Don pitted and we both knew how much the undercut was worth. I wondered if i had pitted the same lap as him whether i would have cleared the cluster **** of 4 or 5 cars that we both got caught up in. I could see on the HUD the position i was going to come out in dancing around all over the place and realised i was struggling for traction exiting the slow turns. After what happened on the following laps i wish i had stayed out another lap or 2 as there is a good chance i may have cleared the group, but it's easy to look back and see that you picked the worst option of the bunch.

I can't even recall what happened over the following laps, so much so that i have to watch my footage with it paused more than playing, but i know at the time i felt i had been forced off the track on a number of occasions when i had earned the right to space. End of lap 11 and Don span on the last turn after making contact with one of the group and by the esses on lap 12 i was on the back of @OurRobOrRoss, Blake, @Philip_66 and @Donks. The pace was shocking but down the back straight i got past Rob and the Phillip seemed to brake ridiculously early i dodged him down the outside and just held onto the corner. Exit of the turn and Phillip's back wheel caught my front and spun me off onto the grass. By the time i rejoined i was behind @chris130256 and Don again, though i was relieved to see he was on mediums and knew he couldn't possibly fight me off.

I took don down the pit straight but braked too early and had to give it back going into the esses and we were now back into a 7 car train. I managed to get alongside Don again running down the hill before the back straight and though he got better traction out of the corner Chris had spun up a bit and held him up and we ended up 3 wide down the straight and then 2 wide through the following 5 corners before we settled back in Don from me from Chris. Turn 1 on lap 14 i took Don around the outside and exiting turn 2 was confronted by Blake spinning wildly and Donks coming back across the track with me and Don still side by side. Fortunately he ghosted as my race would have been over and me and Don went wheel to wheel through the first 3 of the esses. Quite how i will never know, perhaps we were ghosting as well but i ran wide on the 4th and had to concede the place and my attention was instantly onto the fact that @neil rutter was the next car behind and a glance at the map showed a train of potentially 6 to 10 cars immediately behind. At this point i thought my race was over. I'd lost 20 seconds at least since the pit stop and it didn't look good.

I stuck it in rich despite being in fuel deficit now and just gunned it. Took don through the turns after the back straight and lined up Phillip in 3rd. Phillip ran wide in turn 1 and we went side to side through 2 with another twitchy bum moment going into the esses side by side but fortunately Phil lost some speed running over the apex of 2 and was forced to pull in behind me. Somebody pitted and i hadn't noticed but by the time i got onto the back straight to regroup Neil had taken 3rd and i had a nice gap as well as now running 2nd 8 seconds down on Sultan but on the faster tyre. The game was on, i had no penalty's at this point and suspected i just had to get within 3 seconds of Sultan and would take the win.

Unfortunately Sultan had other ideas, his pace was good on the mediums and despite having a clear track in front and behind i could never close him down enough. I did get the gap to under 3 seconds, but in the process had picked up a 3 second penalty which was a huge disappointment so i ragged the bollocks off the car for 13 laps and as it ended up had i not got the penalty i would have jumped him on the results screen.

It was a hell of race, never seen so much action though i do think some people need to think about how aggressive they are when defending and running wheel to wheel, although i have no grudges against anyone despite saying that. Tonight i took part in some of the cleanest and fairest wheel to wheel action you could possibly have, I just think that when you look at my footage there will be a number of occasions where i really deserved better treatment. Perhaps i've done the same at times but i honestly think that i always give space if someone is alongside whether inside or out.

Well done @Elite_sultan on the win, @OurRobOrRoss for jumping @neil rutter to the final podium position, and everyone else racing out there as well. It was a wild one ! Not here next week so i'll be seeing you all in practise for Interlagos, the race i've been counting down to since signing up to this league. :)

Footage will be up tomorrow unless it crashes again.. :p
Got my pen on the last lap through the Esses and thought I'd blew the win with it:banghead:

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Race Summary - Road Rage Simulator M25 edition (with added traffic jam dlc):p

Qualy: 18th (No time set) - With it being dry and the fact I had a strategy I wanted to stick to I decided to revert back to normal, though had I put on the softs and set a time I could have done a high 1:38 which would have been good enough for 3rd, though its seems like quite a few people didn't have the best qualy. Well done to @DON SILVA for taking pole but very much surprised me considering we've seen @dFlashAshb do mid 1:37's those 2 were a second clear of everyone else at the end, also Neil Rutter not setting a time and having to start at the back was a surprise as well.

Race: 3rd:) (was 4th) - Before the race there where a couple people who joined/dsc'ed in qualy after all was said and done I started 17th instead of 18th but had @syluntbob68 as a teammate this time.(y)
Considering I was starting on the mediums I planned to be reasonably cautious at the start, I was also curious to see what Neil would do and he choose the all out attack option, I watched from a safe distance as the pack headed into turn 1 and I saw him putting his car right in the thick of the action, he must have had a great turn 1 as I never saw him properly again after that.

I had gained 1 place before turn 1 and on the exit there was a lot of cautious driving and because it felt to slow I decided to make a ballsy move around the outside of @chris130256 & @pete day (one was directly behind the other) at turn 2 and I cleared the pair of them, but a couple turns later I saw @mpc-v1 running wide ahead and I wanted to get pass but I took a wrong line and speed at turn 5 and ran wide myself, it cost me the same 2 positions to Chris and Pete that I gained at turn 2, so I was back down in 16th.

On lap 2 I gained a place after mpc-v1 made an error, the next lap I caught upto Pete and with drs the start finish straight on lap 4 I passed him into turn 1, I then started to close the gap to Chris and on lap 5 because of the cars ahead battling heavily me and Chris pass @Ben hughes at turns 13 & 14, but at turn 15 I near passed Chris as well unintentionally, I was only just on the inside as Chris was braking slightly early there and when I got a bump from behind (Ben I assume:confused:) it gave me a bit more angle at the turn but Chris was still alongside and got back in front at the next turn.

On lap 6 I made my only real driving error of the race, me and Chris both had drs on @Dale Stones and we both passed him at turn 12, after a slightly better turns 13 & 14 I was right on Chris's rear and he broke slightly earlier then I expected, so I reacted just quick enough to avoid hitting him in the rear but I was carrying a tad to much speed and I couldn't turn left enough and Chris was taking the corner like he should and we made a fair bit of contact, (I really hope it didn't damage your car) in the aftermath I was ahead but I eased off and let him back pass but it also cost me a position to Dale.

It took me half a lap to catch back up to Chris and Dale and when I did, Dale was in front of Chris however just after sector 1 he ran wide and me and Chris passed him, but with drs on Chris I passed him cleanly this time and we ended up exchanging the same position 3 more times during laps 8 & 9, on lap 10 though the cycle between us finally got broken, as by passing him into turn 1 and because Don was exiting the pits he was alongside Chris and got ahead of him this separated us finally.

With fresh Mediums Don got very close to me after sector 1 and made an easy drs pass at turn 12, I thought things might calm down but laps 11,12 & 13 were mental from my pov and made the first ten look like a pleasant tea party.
With Ash exiting the pits just behind I was now in a 5 car train and I was happily keeping pace with Don ahead who was leading it and because of 2 good sectors we caught 2 more in front and it became a 7 car train in sector 3,:wtf::wacky: at the last turn Don had a incident with the car ahead and spun, because I had to take slight avoiding action of him this allowed Blake to pass me on the start finish straight.

On lap 12 I had Ash behind and despite us having both drs he surprisingly passed me before turn 12 (I guess he was in rich mix), but then he had minor contact with Philip ahead and it sent Ash off the track and I ended up passing both of them before turn 15. Then at the start of the next lap there was another collision between the 2 cars infront and because one waited for the other I jumped both of them, at this point I was up in 2nd and knew it was crucial to try and pull away from the train and I did this thankfully as by the end of lap 13 I was over a second clear from the cars behind.

I don't know what happened to the cars behind on lap 14 but I ended up gaining over 2 seconds on all of them I was thinking about staying out just for the clean air but I stuck to my plan and pitted that lap, I ended up down in 11th and came out behind Bob and Pete, it only took the rest of sector 1 to catch Pete and I passed him before the big straight and at turn 15 I overtook Bob.

I then set about catching the cars ahead I set the fastest lap of the race on lap 16 and then on lap 17 I caught Chris, I passed him at turn 15 but it wasn't a good overtake I got ahead fairly during the corner but the truth is I messed up my gear changing on the exit, instead of shifting up I accidently shifted down into Neutral:banghead:, it meant that Chris was stuck behind me both doing 35mph for a second until I got it back into gear (sorry for the hold up:().

With a reasonable gap to the next cars in front I though it would take at least a few laps to catch anyone but on lap 18 @Joost made an error after turn 15 and I was able to pass him as he was recovering, I eventually pulled away from him and started to catch @Wimstradamus it took a couple laps before I was right on his rear and at the start of lap 21 I passed him at turn 1, I quickly pulled away in sector 1 and set my sights on Don who was a few seconds up the road in 4th.

Again it took a couple laps to catch the person in front and by sector 2 of lap 23 I was properly on the rear of Don, I kept close through sector 3 to and done another overtake at turn 1 like before I pulled away in sector 1 and saw Neil Rutter was in 3rd, but with a 7 second gap to him and only 4 laps to go I thought it be more or less impossible to catch him let alone pass him unless he made a big error.

The next couple laps I gained 3 seconds on him and started to think I had a chance, but all of a sudden my pace dropped off a bit and his improved slightly and I could no longer gain on him, so I gave myself the target of trying to finish within 3 seconds as I was still pen free (very surprisingly) but the gap more or less stayed the same for the last 2 laps and when I crossed the line I didn't really expect to jump him as I was 4 seconds backs but low and behold he had 12 seconds worth of pens,:jawdrop: so I did indeed finish 3rd and take the final podium spot which was very satisfying.

Looking back that has definitely got to be the toughest most action packed race I've been involved in this season, out of the 28 laps there was probably only 9 or 10 laps where I weren't involved in a battle for position:wacky:, as for my finishing position considering the hectic opening laps and the amount of time I seemed to be losing battling, a podium seemed a million miles away but because of the time I lost I knew I had to try and avoid time pens, I picked up 2 warning because of the early battling and somehow managed to keep it clean for 22 laps afterwards, I did have the odd scare in the last few laps where I thought that might be my 3rd warning and a pen but it never happened, as it turn out even a 6 second pens wouldn't have cost me.

Do I think I could have finished higher? I don't honestly know there was time lost by almost everyone during the race, I think lap 1 was pretty key for me, if I had managed to get ahead of mpc-v1 when he went wide instead of going wide myself, then I would have avoided my multiple lap battle with Chris and been many seconds up the road, I mean I saw Neil Rutter (on @Dale Stones ) was upto 8th after turn 1 lap 2 and he started just ahead of me. Though theres no guarantees that my race would have gone as smoothly, as it is I finished 16 seconds behind the winner (13 after pens), so while I might have got closer with a better 1st lap, 3rd was probably the best I could do tonight and overall I very happy with it.

Anyway want to say massive congrats to @Elite_sultan on his win (and being the 1st driver to win a race since Baku that wasn't won by either Neil, Ash or myself) well done to Ash for taking 2nd, also nice job by all those that finished in the points.

Lastly with the racing etiquette tonight from my view the first half of the race seemed a lot more aggressive 'take no prisoners' style which I hadn't seen here before, there seemed to be quite a few contacts between cars (I had one with Chris), but for the second half of the race onwards for me it was very clean and fair from what I saw and experienced.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: chris130256

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
After watching my footage, I have to ask why you didn't give me any room at the final corner @Donks. You just turned into me.

Donks

F1 1st Driver
Jan 6, 2015
After watching my footage, I have to ask why you didn't give me any room at the final corner @Donks. You just turned into me.
That's a strange one as I looked back approaching the corner and you were behind. Going into the breaking zone the proximity arrows still had you behind. I didn't even feel any contact from my perspective and it looked like you spun spinning the rear wheels.

Unfortunately I haven't got the video as my lad is using the laptop to finish his a levels and the PS4 only records 15 minutes.

Defiant195

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2014
@Donks you can chage the record length on ps4 15 minutes is just the default. Game froze as I pressed 'square' in the garage just before the end of qualifying so recorded and watched the full race. I have a full spectator cam video up in the videos section and I caught this incident which was as Don described it. But that does not mean donks wasn't out of sync with us.

Well done Sultan, great control and patience on a very difficult circuit. Great win!

Reactions: Elite_sultan

dFlashAshb

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 3, 2016
You can half see the incident on my footage at the bottom of my post above.. Not conclusive by any means though !

Wimstradamus

AOR PS4 GT3 S12 T5 Champion
Premium Member
May 7, 2016
Q p3
R p5

Did not had much time to practice this week and didn't drove the track much.
Sunday afternoon i did a test race and came to the conclusion i was to slow (2 sec a lap) and managed a record of 21 sec penalty :dead:
This was all without the dynamic race line, so when race time arrived i turned on the racing line so i could stay near the pack.
So i thought, in quali i did a run on the soft witch gave me p5 but is was still early so i would drop down the order as time went on. With that in mind i put on the super softs and managed to get p3 and then it started to rain :)
Best quali this season i think.
Race started ok, lost 2 places in the first laps but could follow the top 5.
Nothing spectacular happened in the race, did a one stop in lap 11 in pitted for soft tyres and finished the race in p6 but due to penalties i got p5.

Great race, had fun and scored a lot of points when i did not expected to get even 1 before the race started.

Congrats to the podium finishers, hope to be one myself this season :whistle:

Video here

Reactions: chris130256

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
The incident with @Donks and my double overtake on @dFlashAshb and @chris130256. I was quite proud of that one. Pity Ash got by not too long afterwards. Still kicking myself for not running the softs after I'd managed to get them to the end in a practice race (albeit with 75% wear) away. To start on pole and still not finish on the podium was a kick in the stomach

Elite_sultan

Ex Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 13, 2014
Q:5th happy with that on the yellow tyre.

R: had an ok start and managed to stay with the leaders even though I was on the slower tyre so thought I might be in good shape for a decent finish, pitted around lap 14/15 for the white tyre and came out well ahead of everyone so just put my head down and kept putting in consistent laps. Ash was catching me but not enough to really challenge me so I thought if I keep it consistent I will win this and then last lap through the Esses I cut the corner abit which was my 3Rd warning and got a pen.