PC - Round 18 - United States Grand Prix [3/3/19 8:00pm Eastern] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Round 18 - United States Grand Prix [3/3/19 8:00pm Eastern]

IntergalacticGentleman

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Sep 21, 2017
Round 18 - United States Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 16

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 3rd March 2019
Start Time: 8:00pm (US Eastern time)
Circuit: Circuit of the Americas
Laps: 28

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
  • pHrankee
  • jalidone
Reserve Driver:
- Miguel Angel Pilla

Last edited:

jalmenar

Pro Karter
Sep 10, 2018
Hey,

So it has been a hell of a season for me, in a bad context. Although I got what I wanted, to learn all the tracks, or at least become more familiar with them, my consistency has been ridiculous poor. I'm a decent racer in iRacing (At least I finish my GPs, and once in a while I get a podium), but here it's been really bad and I wonder if is that I have not learned how to drive these cars or simply, this is just not my level. I did not finish most GPs this season, and the ones that I finished was because most people crashed, DNQ/DNF, or something bad happened and I just happened to be hanging around. I see that the top 8 drivers in this league are pretty consistent. @IntergalacticGentleman and @Some_Idiot only have 1 DNF :oops:. How you guys are so consistent? I have to be doing something wrong here, but what is it?

Anyways, I would like to ask you guys (Anyone that could answer me) some questions, I'm trying to find more consistency and stability (Not speed) in the future and next season.

1. I normally use a set up from the TT times, usually the top on record, and then I make some changes to adapt the setup to my driving style. THEN, I try GP mode, run 50% track, feel the car, and make more changes. Yet, I find that every time I go to an actual GP in the league, my setup is bad, 90% of the time I lose the rear in lap 6 or 8. WTF! So my question is, how you guys run the setups? Do you make 1 from scratch? Do you copy one from the TT times and then adjust? What you normally do?

2. Do you usually run lower tire pressures on GPs compared to TT setups? I found that lowering tire pressures dramatically improves stability. I understand the logic behind, but I was always worry about tire temps, so never attempted to run lower pressures. But seems like it is better to run lower pressures, than having hot tire temps. Is this correct? I hear some people driving with tire wear up to the 80%. I never passed 50%. Am I running too high pressures?

3. What are the most significant factors when selecting pit stop/tire strategy? I'm normally in the middle of the grid (between 9th and 15th), so considering this position, what should I take into consideration for strategy? I was under the impression that, if you are not within the first 8th positions on the grid, then you should aim for 1 pit stop, is this correct? But then again, I struggle big time for grip, and 1 stop means selecting the hardest compound. Am I stuck with this strategy and I just have to get better at driving on hard compounds?

4. Do you start slowing down when you put more laps into the GPs? Overall, I know the answer is yes (Obviously, more tire wear, slower driver). But, I feel like I have to dramatically slow down after lap 8 or 9, then about 2 or 3 cars overtake me, and thats pretty much it for my GP. Am I doing something wrong here? If I slow down I assume everyone is slowing down too, but is really bad for me.

5. Is anyone using telemetry? I am, SRT (Sim Racing Telemetry) Do you mind sharing your telemetry with me? It was very usefull on iRacing, hopefully I can learn by analysing someone's telemetry.

I appreciate your input!

Raven

2-time AOR PC America F1 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Jan 15, 2014
1. I normally use a set up from the TT times, usually the top on record, and then I make some changes to adapt the setup to my driving style. THEN, I try GP mode, run 50% track, feel the car, and make more changes. Yet, I find that every time I go to an actual GP in the league, my setup is bad, 90% of the time I lose the rear in lap 6 or 8. WTF! So my question is, how you guys run the setups? Do you make 1 from scratch? Do you copy one from the TT times and then adjust? What you normally do?

2. Do you usually run lower tire pressures on GPs compared to TT setups? I found that lowering tire pressures dramatically improves stability. I understand the logic behind, but I was always worry about tire temps, so never attempted to run lower pressures. But seems like it is better to run lower pressures, than having hot tire temps. Is this correct? I hear some people driving with tire wear up to the 80%. I never passed 50%. Am I running too high pressures?

3. What are the most significant factors when selecting pit stop/tire strategy? I'm normally in the middle of the grid (between 9th and 15th), so considering this position, what should I take into consideration for strategy? I was under the impression that, if you are not within the first 8th positions on the grid, then you should aim for 1 pit stop, is this correct? But then again, I struggle big time for grip, and 1 stop means selecting the hardest compound. Am I stuck with this strategy and I just have to get better at driving on hard compounds?

4. Do you start slowing down when you put more laps into the GPs? Overall, I know the answer is yes (Obviously, more tire wear, slower driver). But, I feel like I have to dramatically slow down after lap 8 or 9, then about 2 or 3 cars overtake me, and thats pretty much it for my GP. Am I doing something wrong here? If I slow down I assume everyone is slowing down too, but is really bad for me.

5. Is anyone using telemetry? I am, SRT (Sim Racing Telemetry) Do you mind sharing your telemetry with me? It was very usefull on iRacing, hopefully I can learn by analysing someone's telemetry.

I appreciate your input!
1. Yes, taking a time trial set is normally the ideal thing to do as a baseline then normally lower ballast by at least 1. Most of the season I have used 8 but more recently 9 ballast at most tracks. Also lowering the front wing 1 and increasing the rear wing by 1 from the typical TT setups is a way to induce a bit more stability and understeer into the setup which I find much easier to cope with especially on worn tires in the race. Using either the Ferrari or the Mercedes in GP mode is a good choice as well since they are close on pace to what the equal setting online delivers. And if you didn't know, the offline GP mode Mercedes is the baseline car on equal setting.

2. I'll be honest with the tire pressures, I think something is genuinely bugged with them because they don't deliver the intended results for me. And in some cases the exact opposite. I think the middle of the road on pressures with the rears a bit lower than middle is a good base that I have used. The tire temp working range is normally optimal from around 97 degrees to 100 degrees. This is ideal across the board I believe so if temps creep above 100 degrees and above 103 then you start getting into severe thermal degradation on top of the car sliding making your pace basically fall off a temperature cliff. Due to the recent patch that has made tire temps more equal then if you've been playing the game at 60 fps or lower, your tire temps should improve massively.

The way the tire wear works from what I've been told is that the compounds have an incremental wear cliff. So the hypersofts will overheat the quickest and also suffer a more severe performance cliff earlier in the wear percentage. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but this list is just a rough estimate: hypers 50% cliff, ultras 60%, supers 65%, softs 70%, mediums 80%, hards 90%. I believe @Some_Idiot knows this better than most so he could perhaps give more accurate numbers.

3. If you are mid pack range then you still have to go for a 1 stop strategy every race. Due to the nature of the game it will always be quicker to do a 1 stop in a 50% distance because of only having half the laps to make up the time loss. And also due to the tire temps and fall offs of lap time from the softer range of tires, the pace advantage on those tires doesn't last very long at all. Your impression about aiming for a 1 stop is correct but as I've said above, from any position on the grid you should always aim for a 1 stop in a 50% race. The harder tires are obviously a bit tricky to get up to temp in the first lap or two but after that they should feel very consistent for 15-20 laps or more, especially the medium tire. Imo the best strategy for most tracks is to qualify on the middle slick compound and as soon as that tire feels like it's falling off in the race, then pit to the hardest slick compound then go the end from there. The other option is to the reverse strategy by starting on the hardest slick compound but if you are mid pack this could make you susceptible to collisions and attacks early on the in the race until at least 5 to 8 laps into it when people on softer tires start to drop in pace.

4. On the softest compounds, yes the cliff happens much earlier so you will always slow down after some laps into the race. The soft tire however should be fairly consistent over a stint with around 0.75-1 second of drop off due to degradation at the end of say 10 laps. The medium is practically even throughout a 15-20 lap stint with a bit of drop off of .1 to .5 towards the very end. Maybe the drop off you have 8 to 9 laps in is either due to too high of temps or you did too many laps in Q on that tire and therefore hit the wear cliff earlier. Personally I only push the tires hard on the first 2 laps to either stay within DRS or try to break DRS to cars around me. After 2 laps I will immediately start to manage wear, temps, ERS, and fuel.

5. Some teams definitely use SRT and we tried to gain something from it on F1 2018 but ultimately our opinion was that the applications aren't user friendly enough to ascertain key differences without slogging thru dozens of laps of data which is just too much. Also you can only compare two data sets at a time so you can't critique everyone's data and laps at the same time which would be super useful for larger teams. Obviously things like current speed, braking points, and ers modes were useful to monitor and could learn something from but yeah we gave up because it's just nowhere near as polished and useful as the iRacing telemetry tools and apps.

Hope this was useful in some way @jalmenar

IntergalacticGentleman

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Sep 21, 2017
Hey,

So it has been a hell of a season for me, in a bad context. Although I got what I wanted, to learn all the tracks, or at least become more familiar with them, my consistency has been ridiculous poor. I'm a decent racer in iRacing (At least I finish my GPs, and once in a while I get a podium), but here it's been really bad and I wonder if is that I have not learned how to drive these cars or simply, this is just not my level. I did not finish most GPs this season, and the ones that I finished was because most people crashed, DNQ/DNF, or something bad happened and I just happened to be hanging around. I see that the top 8 drivers in this league are pretty consistent. @IntergalacticGentleman and @Some_Idiot only have 1 DNF :oops:. How you guys are so consistent? I have to be doing something wrong here, but what is it?

Anyways, I would like to ask you guys (Anyone that could answer me) some questions, I'm trying to find more consistency and stability (Not speed) in the future and next season.

I appreciate your input!
Not-so-humble-brag that I have 1 DNF in 50 AOR F1 starts :). I attribute this to being super cautious on the first lap though, where I feel the most fuckery occurs. My goals for a race are: 1. Finish the first lap with no damage, 2. Finish the race

Answers:

1. I've been building my setups since before my first season in AOR. I tweak a setting or two a time and then do a run. I typically, at a minimum, run 10 laps on each compound for each race, starting with the hardest in an invite-only practice lobby with full damage and such. This gives me an idea on how long each tire will last, obviously a full race fuel load changes that but its just a baseline. I try and just run those consistently, not trying for world record pace or anything. I want to get to a point where I'm not spinning myself out or going off track at all. I usually only run TT once I'm happy with my setup and have practiced with it, and in those attempts I'm trying to push hard. I'm far from the fastest in our split though, I'm usually one of the slowest.

2. I have never ever encountered high temps on any of my setups. I dont know if I just drive too softly or something, but I pride myself on consistent and smooth laps and I feel my tire deg reflects that. I can use different strategies as a result, as I can usually push tires longer than most other drivers. Again, I'm slow though haha.

3. My strategy for this year's split has been very different since I'm so slow compared to the rest of you. I'm always aiming for a 1 stop if I can manage it, as that's an easy way to not have to make up 20-30 seconds from a pit stop. I also rarely qualify in the top 10 for our split, which helps aiming for the one stop.

4. Honestly, I'm always just trying to drive consistently. I dont purposefully speed up or slow down unless there's some big issue from damage or something.

5. Nope, no telemetry.

jalmenar

Pro Karter
Sep 10, 2018
@IntergalacticGentleman , @Raven

Thanks a lot for your thoughtful explanations. They are definitely helpful! I'm going to make some drastic changes for COTA and I'll take into consideration all your thoughts, lets see where I end. But I know this is a learning process and changes wont come right away. Thanks anyways!

Z3mikey

Formula Karter
Jan 2, 2018
@IntergalacticGentleman , @Raven

Thanks a lot for your thoughtful explanations. They are definitely helpful! I'm going to make some drastic changes for COTA and I'll take into consideration all your thoughts, lets see where I end. But I know this is a learning process and changes wont come right away. Thanks anyways!
I’ve had the most experience on the F1 franchise and it took my a full year / full league season to start even getting close to not having a DNF result every race so don’t get discouraged.
From my experience the F1 games are very particular in how you drive. I’ve felt that other sim racing games can be more forgiving. That’s not exactly a good quality in that it’s calls for a kinda unrealistic driving style. Look at the top guys’d or an example, every corner the back ends are swooping way out and in real life that would be severe damage to tyres. I can’t nor anyone can give you presice over night results but like the others have said stay outta time trial except for base line setup but learn the track in GP with Mercedes or Ferrari or take your car in and empty online lobby practice. That’s how I practice just like the others. Also add me on steam , Z3mikey, and we can hop in discord and I’ll show you some things ive found helpful

jalmenar

Pro Karter
Sep 10, 2018
add me on steam
Done!

Thanks for the feedback. It took me a whole year to be competitive on iRacing, and now that I switched simulators, I find myself in the same learning curve period as before iRacing. I was hoping that coming from an advance simulator would make things smoother, maybe they were, but it has been a long way. I'll see you online.