PS4 - Round 21 -Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [24/03/19 8:00 PM U.K.] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 Round 21 -Abu Dhabi Grand Prix [24/03/19 8:00 PM U.K.]

ELIT3_gam3boy

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Aug 24, 2016
Round 21 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 16

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 24th March 2019
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Yas Marina Circuit
Laps: 28

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
-

DemoN

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 11, 2016
9 point gap I believe following the closure of the stewards enquiries. Outscore me by 10 points and it's yours @FTR_SergiMtZ :p

DemoN

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 11, 2016
Q: P1
A couple tenths away from my PB, but to produce a time quicker than anyone else on PS4 when it counted in the highest pressure quali of the season was very pleasing. Particularly in the circumstances of having my times deleted from the first session with the restart.

R: P1
An absolute roller coaster of a race. It started by maintaining my lead from the start, before consolidating that by extending the gap to @APeeeX_EU by a few tenths per lap. Running a particularly edgy setup I was happy with how I managed my tyres in the first stint, as I didn't want to burn all my pace at once to get a huge gap and then be driving on ice come lap 6 and fall back through.

After the pitstop things seemed to only get better as I made quick work of @Roadhouse and @TheogGR1 kindly let me pass on his different strategy. Having made it past @F1_Dan a bit more awkwardly than we'd have liked, I then set off after @Guiggs and @Limitable to retake the on track lead. Braking hard into the chicane, however, my wheel had other ideas and my pedals fell out of the socket. A reoccurred of what I had in Belgium, although fortunately this time it was in Eau Rouge... I lost about 5/6 seconds getting them back in place and calibrated again, and crucially I fell back behind Dan and lost the net lead to Apex. Back up to speed I had a much easier time passing Dan this time, before more issues struck. As Apex went to pass Guiggs at the end of the straight, the closing speed on Guiggs astonished me. Having not braked particularly late for me I steamed into the back of Guiggs and knocked off my end plate. At this point it looked like it was all over to be honest. Miraculously though, I was still able to lap at the same pace near enough as Apex, and @FTR_SergiMtZ behind didn't make any significant inroads.

Due to the damage I compromised my strategy and pit a lap early, deciding to make a front wing change and have the ability to push at my true pace to make up the positions. I came out of the pits in 9th place, about 28 seconds behind Sergi, knowing I had to push as hard as I could. Thankfully Abu Dhabi is my favourite track on the calendar and my pace here is my best by some way, and so I made significant in roads even whilst passing the cars on the one stop, and managed to get back to within 3 seconds of Apex having lost about 7 seconds in the pit lane with the wing change. By this point my tyres started to lose performance from the pushing and I settled down into pace matching that of Apex's, and it then became clear that Sergi's ambitious strategy was about to fall apart big time. I was definitely anxious about making a move as I didn't need to to win, but I knew that the longer I left it the more chance there was for an incident. Given the grip both of us had available at that time I think we were both right on the limit with each other in how much space we gave, which made the move incredibly satisfying.

From there on out it was obvious that the championship was wrapped up and so I coasted home. Thanks to have just the one warning all race I picked up the championship in perfect fashion with my 9th win of the season, although my fastest lap was just about beaten by a few drivers switching to hypers late on :(

A huge well done to @FTR_SergiMtZ this season on producing an incredibly consistent campaign, and getting the most out of near enough every race he could. Shout out to @F1_Dan too for bringing himself back into contention after a difficult start to the season, and ending up beating me in the head to head lol.

This was one of the most pleasant environments for a tier I've had this season looking back, also, so well done to everyone for that and keep up the good work/behaviour. I'm sure @ELIT3_gam3boy has a slightly different opinion on that but forgive him he's grumpy after a hard slog :p

I'll leave you with my highlights of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and hope to see you all here next season!

SolidNinjaSnake

S13 AOR PS4 F4 Champion
Nov 27, 2016
Qualifying - P9
Could definitely say that I had fun for the final qualifying of the season haha. Tried something different with my teammate @Roadhouse and I both attempting to help each other via slipstream. It went more smoothly in the first attempt, but once the session restarted, we ended up always being near other cars, but we got it done. My first run on Ultrasofts was much better than the first session, later followed by my second PB on Hypersofts! Which allowed me to qualify in P9, my first top 10 of the season finally! Haha.

Race - P8
A bit of a hectic start as I made slight contact with @Nexus1011 at T3, before at the end of the lap where I thought I had made it past @FAP_Alex20, I felt contact on my rear left and just saved the car from spinning. Had another little bump before losing a position to @Guiggs. I maintained position until Lap 6 when I not only lost out to Nexus, but @Limitable too. I stayed close behind when Nexus was slow out of T14, where I avoided to then slot back in behind, but unfortunately I ended up clipping him and sending him to the barrier... Which quickly collected @Mikkel Sørensen too. Sorry again about that incident.

I then became a bit confused, as I was being shown I had damage. So I decided to switch to a two stop because of it and get a wing change, yet they never changed it... However the car seemed to be okay. So I still don't know if I actually ever did have damage or not. So I may have not even needed to switch strategies haha... Ah well. Pitted Lap 7 and came back out in P12.

Caught up to @louisw03 and passed on Lap 12 before @TheogGR1 got us both by Lap 15. I tried to grab the position back on the second DRS straight but outbraked myself and went off track, making sure I fairly rejoined behind him. @Limitable then joined us and just flew past me on the second DRS straight before I pitted at the end of the lap and leaving the pits in P12. (Still with my questionable wing haha.)

Made my way up to 9th before losing two positions to @louisw03 and @F1_Dan, dropping me outside the points, but I knew a few people had penalties. So I just tried to stay penalty free and it paid off! As I crossed the line in P11, but jumped up to P8!

Conclusion
A fun and great qualifying result followed by, somewhat of a decent race, but unfortunately the contact with @Nexus1011 ruined it as it went to the Stewards and I got awarded a 10 second penalty for it.

A tough season but it wasn't so bad in the end I think. Hopefully I can have a better season next time though. Congrats to @DemoN on winning the Championship! =)