Aug 6, 2018
Round 3 - Vietnam Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 20

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 20th September 2020
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Hanoi Street Circuit
Laps: 28

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
-

Reactions: Steve Jackson

Invalid

Semi-Pro Karter
Jul 2, 2020
took my wheel apart and it the age has taken its toll, might be able to budge it together again but Im not sure if I'll be able to attend sunday. Is someone else able to host in case, Im not taking part? I'll update asap.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
took my wheel apart and it the age has taken its toll, might be able to budge it together again but Im not sure if I'll be able to attend sunday. Is someone else able to host in case, Im not taking part? I'll update asap.
I have volunteered as backup host, not sure if it's been entered on the forum page.

Think I have all on my friends list.

Reactions: Invalid

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Patch 1.10 has been released, please make sure you update the game via Steam before raceday.

Also, if your framerates are marginal then consider lowering your graphics settings - I normally get 60-75FPS on High (2560x1440) and have found that dropping to Medium preset restores the framerate and stops annoying judders that might occur if I drop around 45FPS.

HiggsBoson97

Pro Karter
Mar 21, 2019
I may not be able to make this race today... family emergency has come up. Not sure that I'll be home in time.

• Informative
Reactions: sjhk93

cpat407

Formula Karter
May 21, 2020
Congrats to @Shift4, while everyone seemed to struggle somewhat you took a dominant win home.

Didn't have a lot of time to practice and my pace was uneven. I was surprised to take a clear pole because I had no idea where I'd end up. In the the second lap I think something distracted me at home and I drove into a wall under VSC. After that I never got into a rhythm. Changed my wing twice, got damage on those immediately after again. Even got a five second penalty for speeding in the pits. A race to forget. Need to work on consistency clearly. Thanks to @sjhk93 and @ntst22 for fair fights.

Looking forward to China to make good on this.

Reactions: ntst22 and sjhk93

Pingulele

Formula Karter
Apr 11, 2019
Was i the only one who didnt get the lights at the start? i had to react on the car in front of me so i wouldnt get a penalty :oops:

Had a bad quali, got 1 decent lap in, p7 i belive. And then a very lonley race. After the first lap the way faster guys in front took off and i was left in the middle with a big gap in both directions. And FINALLY i did an entire race with no major mistakes and ended on P6 wich i am happy with :)

Thx for the race, see you next week :)

Reactions: sjhk93

Night Puppet

Junior Karter
Jul 9, 2019
Tales of your incompetence do not interest me -Miranda Priestly
Tales of my incompetence may interest you -Night Puppet

Qualified 11th. I got a good start into T1, tried to go round the outside which turned out to be the long way round. Had a slow wheel to wheel coming together with a Mclaren @XH4N into T2 which unfortunately caused him to lose his from wing. (let me know you thoughts as I saw it as 50/50). I came out unscathed and roared off into the distance. After safely navigating round many wrecks and up to P7, karma caught up with me and rammed me into a wall breaking my wing. This caused me to pit really early for hards.

"Box Box Box"
"set ha*cough*rd tyres"
"setting intermediate tyres"
"No you $*$?*+!, set hard tyres"

After a torrent of curses, blasphemes and swear words I didn't even know I knew, I rolled out of the pits on greens. It took me about 4 corners and another 'wing spin' to realise these were not a good option. (I knew those blasphemies were wrong). Pitted that lap onto hards. Had a good run until I saw an orange Mclaren @XH4N in the mirror. Karma had not finished with me and I promptly over-reved it into the wall going onto the long straight. I will not bore you with wing 3+4 changes, but I finally finished P9 after what felt like the 24 hours of Hanoi. Well at least I got points. :)

ntst22

Pro Karter
Apr 22, 2018
Full Race (Unedited). Time stamps included as well, and thoughts below the embedded video.

I spent way more time than I've had practicing for this race, though it felt like it wasn't worth it. Through the weekend, it felt like I had the pace to win the race.
It started with qualifying P2, and after settling in for a lap or two, the VSC came out and that's when @cpat407 had his little accident.

I complete the stint on softs having a comfortable lead, coming in for hards on lap 10. Only to throw away that lead the very next lap, over-rotating the car and hitting the wall just after pit entry. Lost a lot of time, pitted for mediums and decided to push every lap till the end of the race.

Had really good pace, and almost felt like hitting a brick wall when I caught up to the P2-P4 pack, and had a very nice battle with @cpat407 . Only managed to beat him by a slim margin at the end, while failing to realize that he had a 5-second penalty.

Overall, was a nice race, had really good pace but didn't have the consistency to finish it off.

Reactions: cpat407

sjhk93

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Aug 6, 2018
This race was much more fun than expected, with much closer racing for me than the opening rounds.

Qualifying: 4th
A good session. Had a solid banker, probably got the maximum I could on my second lap and pushed too hard on my final lap, but I was never going to make up the 1 second gap to 3rd.

Race: 3rd
Had another poor start, dropping down to 5th behind @Sulphix. At the end of the first lap I picked up an illegal overtake on @cpat407 which was a bit unfortunate, and set me back 4 seconds to Sulphix, though I think he made a mistake and that gap closed up again. Had a good back-and-forth battle for a few laps before we both pitted on lap 7 under the VSC for different compounds. I hadn't done any race practice so wasn't sure of the best strategy, but the default 2 stop seemed to work out best in the long run.

Due to the VSC stop and incidents for @cpat407 and @ntst22 I ended up running in 2nd for most of the medium stint, although I never felt comfortable on these tyres. Having cpat in my mirrors didn't help and I was driving pretty scruffily - I decided to let him past on lap 17 as I thought we were in different races (I was still just focusing on the gap to Sulphix at this point) and figured I'd lose less time that way. This was my only regret from the race - won't make it so easy in the future!

Pace on the final stint was surprisingly good - caught and past Sulphix fairly quickly and didn't lose too much time to cpat and @ntst22 at the end. Fortunate to pick up 3rd after cpat's penalty. A better result than I could have expected and pleased to have another mistake-free race - quite the opposite to my last league racing experience on the pad.

Race Highlights

Last edited:
Reactions: ntst22 and cpat407

Ronnin1978

GP2 Reserve Driver
Feb 6, 2016
I am not the guy who abandon the race after first incident,,, but I received a blue flag in first lap from car behind me. I didn't fight with him @FiedBoy206 after long straight line but he kick me into the wal when he tried to avoid? an incident
Hope for a better race next Sunday

Reactions: cpat407

XH4N

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 3, 2020

Qualified 11th. I got a good start into T1, tried to go round the outside which turned out to be the long way round. Had a slow wheel to wheel coming together with a Mclaren @XH4N into T2 which unfortunately caused him to lose his from wing. (let me know you thoughts as I saw it as 50/50). I came out unscathed and roared off into the distance. After safely navigating round many wrecks and up to P7, karma caught up with me and rammed me into a wall breaking my wing. This caused me to pit really early for hards.

"Box Box Box"
"set ha*cough*rd tyres"

After a torrent of curses, blasphemes and swear words I didn't even know I knew, I rolled out of the pits on greens. It took me about 4 corners and another 'wing spin' to realise these were not a good option. (I knew those blasphemies were wrong). Pitted that lap onto hards. Had a good run until I saw an orange Mclaren @XH4N in the mirror. Karma had not finished with me and I promptly over-reved it into the wall going onto the long straight. I will not bore you with wing 3+4 changes, but I finally finished P9 after what felt like the 24 hours of Hanoi. Well at least I got points. :)
Didnt had time to watch and write about it but will do this later tonight. Sticking @ hospital waiting for my baby. Will get father tonight.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Qualifying: 10th 1:37.384

Frustrating session, made a cut error wanted to take a second flyer but had to back out due to @Ronnin1978 maybe not realising I wanted another lap. Second run was an improvement but still room for more. Overcooked the final run, just mistakes all the way through, bashing the wall at the end but I'd struggled with qualifying balance all week.

Race: 7th S/M/S (7,20)

From 10th I had a very cautious start (due to the potential I might get a jump start because of hosting) I fell to the back of the field and after the first lap of contacts found myself in 7th by the VSC.

Although the gaps maybe varied a bit at times and @ntst22 got out of sync in the stops (he came past whilst I was trying to deal with the lapped / ghosted @Night Puppet) I pretty much held station throughout so it was largely uneventful - I wasn't making time on those ahead and I wasn't losing to those behind.

Strategy was pre-determined 2 stop, my team-mate @sjhk93 had built a sufficient gap that this time the pitstops weren't an issue - I got to the end clean and stayed on the lead lap despite the pace of those with 3-4 seconds a lap in hand in front.

Will hope to go well at China and start picking up some more points (especially if those above are sleeping).

Last edited:
Reactions: ntst22

XH4N

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 3, 2020

"Box Box Box"
"set ha*cough*rd tyres"

So Mate, I watched my VOD.. as I thought it wasn't your foult.. had to dodge @FiedBoy206 cause he was outside at turn 1 and went in.. but it happened don't know if he saw us or i maybe was thinking we are all gone :D.. Racing incident and my fault.. sorry if it cost's you your front wing..

Qualifying: 9th 1:37.125

Nice first warm up lap.. had a nice S3 on my second try but wasn't focused enough.. at my last run lost the S3 cause i pushed to hard..

Race: 8th S/M/M/s (third stop was only for trying the fastest lap but didn't get it, the guys on the front are way to fast)

Good formation lap, nice start, as I said had to avoid @FiedBoy206 not to drive into him. So i wasn't on the correct line took my wheel to much and kissed the wall.. went for mediums, than the race was prety boring.. had some fights with @Night Puppet but unfortunately he lost his rear and had to pit again so i could drive my pace.. went for a 3. stop for Softs maybe catching the fastest lap but the guys in front way to fast.. hopefully i can drive this weekend too, but have to wait until i know when my wife will be discharged from hospital..

Here my POV: Hanoi XH4N's POV

Cya soon

Reactions: Night Puppet

ntst22

Pro Karter
Apr 22, 2018
Although the gaps maybe varied a bit at times and @ntst22 got out of sync in the stops (he came past whilst I was trying to deal with the lapped / ghosted @Night Puppet) I pretty much held station throughout so it was largely uneventful - I wasn't making time on those ahead and I wasn't losing to those behind.

Yep. Reason being I crashed on my first lap on hards :/
Happens at here (timestamped):

Reactions: Steve Jackson