England
Round 5 - Dutch Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 20

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 4th October 2020
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Circuit Zandvoort
Laps: 36

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
- @F1R-dennde09
@GomL_Kemuhin

@Simon Besnard - Quali Ban.

Last edited:

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
England
Done my first ever laps, a lot better than I was expecting its actually a fun track to drive should be a good race.

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Apr 4, 2015
Race sim done... and I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

REALLY don't wanna jinx myself here :cautious:

• Winner
Reactions: iJokeri22

DON SILVA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
London
I actually hoping I get terminal damage on lap 1. I’m absolutely awful at this track

timbob4321

Pro Karter
Jun 24, 2020
UK
Aaah, so disappointed
So, coming into this race I hadn't done much practice and I thought I was very slow, so was pleased with P5 in quali. First run was atrocious and I kept on crashing out so I was lucky to get a decent lap in at the end.
Race was pretty uneventful. Had a good battle with richman on the first lap, but apart from that it was mainly sticking behind @GTX_23x and waiting to make a move. The safety car didn't really benefit me but I managed to get GTX off the restart and up into P3. But on lap 33 I hit one of the raised kerbs and did a very slow sBinalla. Ended up 14th in the end but it was more about what could've been. Looking forward to redeeming myself at Spain.

Last edited:

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Apr 4, 2015
I am, without a shadow of a doubt.... about the most elated I've ever been in league racing!

This result has been, almost to the day, 4 years in the making.

Q: Pole - 1:08.870 (S)
R: P1 & FL 1:11.522
(H, L34)

Okay, first thing's first. Qualifying.

I straight up wasn't expecting to crack out an 8.8 lap.
I figured I could do a 9.0 as I'd done a few all week and the general feeling was that a low-9 would probably be pole... but that lap came out of nowhere, especially considering that I was down a tenth in sector 1.
Turns out, my middle sector was pretty monstrous and with a clean chicane and penultimate corner, I clawed back the time and then some.

I think that pretty much set the tone for the rest of the evening.

Formation lap and I think @TheTubbyNinja played a bit of mind games, letting me get far ahead out of the penultimate corner before his own car was taken over... forcing me to wait a little longer than I wanted. I saw what was going on ;)

Still, I got a good solid launch at the Green... if not the best I could've managed due to a little wheelspin. Better than Tubby though, so I moved across to cut off any run he might have and took T1 in the lead.
After that, I just concentrated on keeping clean and at a pace that would make it difficult for Tubby to attack... but he kept me honest for the whole S stint, staying mostly within the DRS window. Even had the VSC to contend with, but the gap stayed pretty constant.

Took my stop on L12, as for me that was the magic number... but was surprised to see Tubby try the overcut by going an extra lap.
Left the pitlane right behind @Simon Besnard, who was on an alternate strategy and not involved in my race in any way.
Made light work of overtaking him on L13 and regaining the lead as Tubby left the pit behind Simon.
This only helped my race, as Tubby's time spent behind Simon allowed me to build a comfortable enough gap after he overtook Simon himself.

Stayed pretty quiet for a while after that... just keeping the gap and no mistakes... until a VSC on L24, which was no big deal. The SC on L28 however, was a problem.

It was right in the window of "Do I pit for S and hope the guy behind does the same?"... I had everything ready to go but decided against it at the last minute, thinking that the nature of the track and my pace on the H was such that I could fairly easily keep anyone on S behind without too much trouble.

SC restart and I uh.............. I SCREWED IT!

Left the damn thing TONNES of time to get back the the pitlane, but apparently I underestimated the snail pace it takes through the final corners. So when I got what was initially an excellent launch, I was limited at the last second by the game and was in real danger of losing the lead to Tubby.

Thankfully I kept the lead and with that, #Hammertime

Decided to go for fastest lap in the final few laps... go for the whole shebang and I felt I had the outright pace for it... so when VSC #3 came out in the middle of my first attempt, it did little to help my nerves lol
VSC ends and I go for attempt #2... which I get but only half a tenth better than Tubby :eek:

And that was it... clean for the remaining couple of laps and over the line as the WINNER!

Well done to Tubby in P2, who kept me honest for the whole damn race... and to @GTX_23x for P3.

Solid results for Renault too, with @rich500 finishing P5. Unfortunate it wasn't P4, but a strong result all around (y)

Renault ARE coming for McLaren.

Spain next... I'm unsure, but I'll be targeting a podium for sure.

TheTubbyNinja

F1 2nd Driver
Oct 15, 2017
Milton Keynes, England
P2 in Qualifying, P2 in the Race, P2 in the infamous Fastest Lap leaderboard.

Basically a carbon copy of a practice race from the night before but with less DRS, less ERS and less hope of an overtake. Stayed behind @Bankai_Bullett for the whole first stint pretty much being able to smell the sweat evaporating in his cockpit before deciding to risk an overcut. I hoped the DRS down the main straight and my still pretty solid pace on softs might be enough to at least mean I lost no time but ultimately it didn't work and dropped me behind @Simon Besnard on the alternate strategy.

Took longer than I should have to get past Simon due to a pretty awful first lap on the hards but once I was passed I never really got back to Bankai. Between 1.5-2.5 seconds off for the entire second stint and even the safety car didn't help. In hindsight I think I should have pitted under the SC as I had a 10 second buffer behind me, and at full race pace it looks on my footage that you lose no more than 15-16 seconds for a pit stop. If I lost any positions, fresh softs would have clawed them back quickly so I would likely have been P2 at worst anyway... but hindsight is 20/20.

Ultimately a good result, just a shame to be so comprehensively outmatched all race, especially by the closest to my top spot in the championship.

Race Highlight and McLaren Team Radio:

Bankai_Bullett

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Apr 4, 2015
P2 in Qualifying, P2 in the Race, P2 in the infamous Fastest Lap leaderboard.

Basically a carbon copy of a practice race from the night before but with less DRS, less ERS and less hope of an overtake. Stayed behind @Bankai_Bullett for the whole first stint pretty much being able to smell the sweat evaporating in his cockpit before deciding to risk an overcut. I hoped the DRS down the main straight and my still pretty solid pace on softs might be enough to at least mean I lost no time but ultimately it didn't work and dropped me behind @Simon Besnard on the alternate strategy.

Took longer than I should have to get past Simon due to a pretty awful first lap on the hards but once I was passed I never really got back to Bankai. Between 1.5-2.5 seconds off for the entire second stint and even the safety car didn't help. In hindsight I think I should have pitted under the SC as I had a 10 second buffer behind me, and at full race pace it looks on my footage that you lose no more than 15-16 seconds for a pit stop. If I lost any positions, fresh softs would have clawed them back quickly so I would likely have been P2 at worst anyway... but hindsight is 20/20.

Ultimately a good result, just a shame to be so comprehensively outmatched all race, especially by the closest to my top spot in the championship.

Race Highlight and McLaren Team Radio:

Wishing for mistakes...... that's not very sporting :sneaky:

Destruction 101: How to bin a race after a solid 1st stint

• Funny
Reactions: TheTubbyNinja

Simon Besnard

Formula Karter
Dec 21, 2019
France
Q Ban
R 6

What a race on my side honestly. After a fully quali ban I knew my race was going to be hard. I would need to pull out some nice moves.

My 1st stint was really hard because I had to get throughout all the traffic but once this done I had a really good pace. With the alternative strategy I found myself in the lead and was quite surprised to have @Bankai_Bullett and @TheTubbyNinja pace. Unfortunately my race was not with them and I preferred manage my tyre for the sake of my race.

My 2nd stint was even harder with @Sneaky24-7Ninja and @rich500 who were giving eachother slipstream. It was impossible for me to overtake as I was the 3rd guy in the train even though I was way faster just Zandvoort is basically Monaco without wall. I tried some overtaking T5 but because they didn't expect me to go there I had to go on the grass multiple times . Nice battle guys

At the last lap I think Rich had dead tyres because he was braking so early that I broke my front wing on him.

Really happy with my overall pace without the quali ban the podium was more than on the table. But no regrets ln my side as it was a really fun race

Gg on @GTX_23x on the podium. The Goat

rich500

Formula Karter
Aug 4, 2018
Quali 4th, Race 5th

In quali lost a bit of time in the last corner but happy to get a representative time from my practice. Race started ok, held position until L10 where I then got overtaken by timbob. Tyres weren't feeling the best so decided to pit straight away looking for an undercut. Came out of the pits behind onerurcum who was on older mediums. Struggled to overtake him which meant I then lost touch with the guys ahead over the next few laps. Finally overtook him on L17. Was relatively quiet after that for the laps until the safety car. Always had Sneaky very close behind me, keeping me honest. Got a terrible SC restart but held Sneaky behind over the next few laps until the first corner of the last lap. Good overtake from him meant I dropped to 5th and very close to the guys behind. Tyres were feeling very poor at this point, perhaps should have waited a lap or 2 later to pit. Anyway, kept them behind on the last lap and came home in 5th which is my best result of the season. What with Bankai winning (and well deserved too) it was a very good result for Renault. Not sure about my prospects in Spain but as always, hoping for better.

GTX_23x

Semi-Pro Karter
Oct 24, 2019
France
Quali : P3

It wasn't my PB but I was happy with a short training before the session.

Race : P3

I was worried about my pace during the race because I didn't seriously trained this track, after a sad Grand-Prix in China.

So I'm very happy about this P3.

GG Bankai & TheTubby, they were stronger than me so I couldn't do better.

Gg to my teammate for his comeback.

See u in Spain !

iJokeri22

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
England
Q: 10th
R: 8th

Tbh if I had been offered a 10th place before the race I would have taken it, my practice was ok I started the week very slow but I was steadily gaining speed but I still knew I would need a perfect race to some any points.

Qualifying:
Went in to qualifying planning to do just 2 runs so I could start on the hards and have a fresh set of soft tyres for the end of the race however I surprised myself by doing a PB and getting in the top 10 so that plan had to go in the bin.

Race:
Start was good I made up a place on @MrJoshua before losing it again after a few laps after that I spent the whole stint in 10th place.

Pitted on lap 12th and came out about 5 second behind the queue of cars stuck behind @Oner Schumacher managed to close the gap and I got just in to the DRS zone when he went in the pits just one more lap and I would have properly joined the queue.

Race was quite quiet after that I stayed in 10th place until the end of lap 27 when the SC came out just as I was coming round the final 2 corners so again like last week I had a quick decision to make and I choose to stay out on the old hards. (Big mistake)

I was up to 9th for the restart thanks to @MrJoshua pitting but at turn 1 he went up the inside and I didn't realise how far alongside me he was so I turned in and bounced off his car which sent me wide and down to 12th place.

So I'm now in 12th on old hards and in amongst all the soft runners where as if I had pitted I would have been 10th on new softs. (As I said big mistake)

At this point I thought any chance of points was gone luckily I was able to stay in front of the cars behind on softs and thanks to all the fighting and VSC periods I somehow managed to find myself in 8th place at the finish and only 0.01 away from 7th still not sure how that happened.

Well done @Bankai_Bullett its been a long time coming for you I think it took you almost as many races to win as it took me who knows maybe you wont have to wait 5 years for your next one. :LOL:

On to Spain my favourite track in this first 1/3 of the season I could really do with getting back in the top 5 again but it will be difficult.

Reactions: Simon Besnard

Sneaky24-7Ninja

Formula 3 Test Driver
Nov 17, 2017
UK
Q: P6
Lost a little time in Sector 3 on my quickest lap and couldn't put a better lap together in my final two runs but ultimately wouldn't have done better than P4 anyway so was pretty happy.

R: P4
A shocking launch after failing to react well to a very short light sequence dropped me 2 positions off the start and I settled in behind @DON SILVA . I had stronger pace than Don and by lap 5 managed to pass him and start to build the gap a little while maintaining ground to the group ahead. By the pitstop phase I'd caught @timbob4321 @ricardo91 and @rich500 and I followed Rich into the pits on lap 10. The pair of us got held up for some time behind @Oner Schumacher who had started on mediums which allowed @Simon Besnard almost immediately after his pitstop on fresher tyres. Although very close at times, positions never changed within the battle until after a late saftey car I eventually managed a move around the outside of Rich at turn 1 on the final lap. Due to mistakes by Richman and Timbob this meant I finished P4 and my first strong points finish since the season opener to contribute to the McLaren constructors bid.

Well done to my teammate @TheTubbyNinja on a well deserved P2 and of course @Bankai_Bullett for his first AOR victory