PS4 - Round 5 - Spanish Grand Prix - 11th November 2018 [8:00pm (UK time)] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 Round 5 - Spanish Grand Prix - 11th November 2018 [8:00pm (UK time)]

Carbon

F1 Multiple Champion
Jul 4, 2016
@Jason007 I'm going to have to miss the next few races until I can get another wheel. Unfortunately it wasn't to be which is gutting after all my hours of practice so far this season. Hopefully I can get one on black friday or christmas but until then looks like I am going to have to sit on the sidelines. Good luck to everyone in the future races and hopefully I'll be back on the grid soon. :cry: #F9Forever

• Informative
Reactions: Jason007

F1Scotgolf

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Q 7th didn't quite hit my best time but happy with what i did and i must say the gap of the top 10 wasn't much at the end of the session

R 4th I took it maybe too easy on the start got mugged of by a few cars and had a great view of the disappearing renault of PPK not sure what happened but the yellow car almost wiped a ferrari out and could have wiped out multiple cars from the back aswell. so elected to take my SS a few laps extra gain a few places then pit for the M in the middle stint not knowing who was doing what infront of me but by the time of the first round of pits i managed to pick up a place from starting position was able to keep a few second gap with the torro infront of me think it was high ground then by the time he pittted for his second stop managed to eek out a few more laps pitted on lap 21/22 for the S and came out right behind high ground and then it was game on passing a few cars and managed to get up to 4th before the safety car came out and that ruined me as i was catching the ferrari infront of me but after safety car went in i didnt warm up the tires well enough put power on last corner and had a wiggle thought i was dead but fortunately i managed to peddle the car back straight and push on for the last 2 laps on the gearbox of @Limaro Fipama and having the front wing of the renault in my gearbox and jeff didnt let on he had a penalty so i was defending and attacking at the same time which was very uncomfortable for me.

very happy with my improved performance this week and im extremely happy i managed to keep fastest lap this week hopefully that's me on my way this season after a few disappointing races in round 1 and 2

Reactions: Limaro_83

Limaro_83

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Race Highlights QF P9 Race P3

QF Had lap invalidated on Softs so decided to go out on Supers, messed first run and then ridiculously held up on second by a Mercedes. Was not happy.

Race Best I could’ve hoped for from 9th but what could have been if I hadn’t messed qualifying. Had som great battles along the way and a cheeky little safety car to spice things up at the.

Congrats to @Nick-1054 on your 2nd win and @ramma in P2.

Reactions: iej76

Jason007

Premium Member
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2017
Qualy: P14
Race: P5

Pre-Race Interview: Practice felt pretty good with the car and it's setup. Kept the same setup between TT and Grand Prix practice. Not too sure what to expect at Spain. I know other drivers would be quick around a typical circuit like track, so damage mitigation strategy could be in the works.

Qualy (0:00) - Went out for an initial recon lap of the circuit to make sure everything is working correctly. All good. At the later stages of qualy I had enough fuel and battery power for two hotlaps. Ended up only in P14. Now it all comes down to strategy choice.

Strategy (2:00) - Seemed like all the front-runners would be going for either the two stopper of SS > S > S, or a SS > M. In P14 I decided to risk it and go with an aggressive strategy of SS > S > S. +3 laps of fuel should do it. Let's put the Slammer into high gear and go!

LIGHTS OUT (5:10) - Good start with @iej76 getting a bit loose, contacting @MrRobinhx, and @chaingang123 splitting the gap. I hold station and wait for the the inevitable clusterfudge that is Turn 1 at Spain. Down to P16.

Lap 1 (5:25) - Carbon fiber goes flying everywhere as I take a very cautious line thru Turn 1 and Turn 2. @JimiRäikkönen goes hard into the wall.

Lap 1 Continued (5:45) - HOWEVER, my braking goes all wrong and I end up in the gravel. Well ****... down to P19... dead last. It's okay, over 32 laps to go.

Lap 1 Continueded (6:15) - A 'Mother of Gawd' moment with @chaingang123. Up to P17.

Lap 2 (7:15) - @No_Ideas and @Da Eagle have a moment at Turn 4, and @F1-Gatecrasher near Turn 5, which puts me up to P14.

Lap 2 Continued (7:35) - @chris130256 gets loose and into the grass at Turn 8. P12 now.

Lap 4 (9:40) - Rich mix, Hotlap ERS, DRS, and slipstream puts me up to P10 and into the points. Need to keep pushing to make this strategy work.

Lap 7 (15:20) - BOX BOX BOX! Pit stop 1 of 2 for some Softs. Exit in P14.

Lap 12 (22:10) - After some good battling between @No_Ideas and @MJ7, No_Ideas gets loose exiting Turn 9 and goes into the gravel. Up to P12 with @MJ7 hot on my gearbox.

Lap 13 (23:50) - @MJ7 makes quick work of me down the main straight. Down to P13. Uggh.

Lap 20 (33:55) - BOX BOX BOX! Pit stop 2 of 2 for another set of softs. Enter the pits in P8, exit in P12, sandwiched between the Medium runners. Need to push thru the pack to continue the strategy.

Lap 27 (44:00) - SAFETY CAR! SAFETY CAR! @MrRobinhx goes into the wall entering the main straight, triggering the SC. Unfortunately this happens just as I pass the pit entrance. Hmm, this throws the strategy right out the window.

Lap 28 (45:45) - Screw it. Running P10 and figuring I have enough of a lead ahead of P11 I box for some fast SS tyres. Unfortunately I exit the pits in P11, trying to catch up to the SC queue. Hmm...

Lap 31 (51:00) - Oww my ass.

Lap 31 Continued (51:10) - Entering the main straight all hell breaks loose! @SEAN-GBR and @louielouie50 are tangled up at the pit entrance as @chris130256, @MJ7, and @Salvo Failla all collect each other. I somehow manage to slip by with two tyres into the gravel, and up into P7. I keep the Slammer in Rich mix and Hotlap ERS, and SS tyres, and push hard to see what points I can steal.

Lap 32 (52:05) - I can see my teammate @iej76 is having trouble after the restart on worn Mediums. Manage to get the DRS towards Turn 10 for P6.

*The top 5 are a bit ahead, so I figured the only thing I can hope for are penalties*

ACROSS THE LINE (54:00) - With penalties it's up to P5! What an ending!

Post-Race Interview - What a race! Overall I don't think the gamble on the 2-stopper worked out for me. Going off into the gravel and dropping to dead last on Lap 1 didn't help my strategy, but with the SC at the end and gambling on an extra stop for SS helped a bit. Luckily I was able to escape destruction on the SC restart.

Congrats to @Nick-1054 on another win!
Congrats to @ramma and @Limaro Fipama to round out the podium!

See you all at Monaco! Bring some extra front wings!

louielouie50

Formula Karter
Sep 13, 2018
Quali: P6 - my DRS jammed itself open at the end of my first out lap, then wouldn't fix itself until 9 minutes left, so I was pleased to have time to get two runs in the end.
Race: P9 Had a decent start and came out of T1 in 4th; WJORR was lagging all over the place for the first lap or two which was distracting and made me nervous about getting too close to him. @Limaro Fipama got past me twice before and after my 1st stop and was clearly quicker, I managed to get past a couple of the 1 stoppers then lost out to @F1Scotgolf who was on S compared to my M. Other than that I was closing in on I think @Salvo Failla 's Sauber in 6th when the SC came out.

Then, I blew it...

Not a major mistake all race, but I tanked it at the restart, span into the pit entry and ended up 9th after overtaking a couple of people ahead who had damage.

In all, was v happy with my pace, think I was more consistent than I had been in any race so far this season and 6th/7th would have been a fair position for my speed. Definitely can't afford to keep making errors all season when in good positions. Let's see how next week goes!

Salvo Failla

Formula Karter
Aug 9, 2018
Q: P11
R: P10

The final result is not what I hope after a race, but the Spanish GP was the best weekend I have ever done in my carrer. I run since September 2017 and, after a year of online races, never I have done a so consistent race.

Q: At my first attemp my DRS was not ok, and with it always open I have finished my lap with a bad time.
My second attemp was good but not perfect, at the end I was in P12.
So I have started for the third and last attemp, but I have done an error at turn 3, finishing the lap with an improvement of 0,070 seconds, useful to get the final P11.

R: I have decided to start with the SOFT, trying to stay out for more laps possible.
The first three turns was perfect, at the end of turn 4 I was gone from P11 to P6, and I was in the circuit the first with the SOFT, so I have leaded from P1 the race for seven laps ( from lap 7 to lap 13 ), with a good rhythm and low degradation of the tyres.
At lap 14 I have done my pit stop, mounting the MEDIUM, trying to finish the race with an only pit stop.
In the last laps there was the Safety Car in the track, so I decided to do a second pit to finish the race with the SOFT, but at the first lap after the Safety Car a car in front of me lost the aderence and hit me damaging my front wing.
The last two laps were very difficult but at the end I have got the final P10.

I'm very happy for the win of my team mate @Nick-1054 and for the points that we are keeping in the TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP.

I hope that the GP of Monaco may be amazing.

Limaro_83

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Qualy: P14
Race: P5

Pre-Race Interview: Practice felt pretty good with the car and it's setup. Kept the same setup between TT and Grand Prix practice. Not too sure what to expect at Spain. I know other drivers would be quick around a typical circuit like track, so damage mitigation strategy could be in the works.

Qualy (0:00) - Went out for an initial recon lap of the circuit to make sure everything is working correctly. All good. At the later stages of qualy I had enough fuel and battery power for two hotlaps. Ended up only in P14. Now it all comes down to strategy choice.

Strategy (2:00) - Seemed like all the front-runners would be going for either the two stopper of SS > S > S, or a SS > M. In P14 I decided to risk it and go with an aggressive strategy of SS > S > S. +3 laps of fuel should do it. Let's put the Slammer into high gear and go!

LIGHTS OUT (5:10) - Good start with @iej76 getting a bit loose, contacting @MrRobinhx, and @chaingang123 splitting the gap. I hold station and wait for the the inevitable clusterfudge that is Turn 1 at Spain. Down to P16.

Lap 1 (5:25) - Carbon fiber goes flying everywhere as I take a very cautious line thru Turn 1 and Turn 2. @JimiRäikkönen goes hard into the wall.

Lap 1 Continued (5:45) - HOWEVER, my braking goes all wrong and I end up in the gravel. Well ****... down to P19... dead last. It's okay, over 32 laps to go.

Lap 1 Continueded (6:15) - A 'Mother of Gawd' moment with @chaingang123. Up to P17.

Lap 2 (7:15) - @No_Ideas and @Da Eagle have a moment at Turn 4, and @F1-Gatecrasher near Turn 5, which puts me up to P14.

Lap 2 Continued (7:35) - @chris130256 gets loose and into the grass at Turn 8. P12 now.

Lap 4 (9:40) - Rich mix, Hotlap ERS, DRS, and slipstream puts me up to P10 and into the points. Need to keep pushing to make this strategy work.

Lap 7 (15:20) - BOX BOX BOX! Pit stop 1 of 2 for some Softs. Exit in P14.

Lap 12 (22:10) - After some good battling between @No_Ideas and @MJ7, No_Ideas gets loose exiting Turn 9 and goes into the gravel. Up to P12 with @MJ7 hot on my gearbox.

Lap 13 (23:50) - @MJ7 makes quick work of me down the main straight. Down to P13. Uggh.

Lap 20 (33:55) - BOX BOX BOX! Pit stop 2 of 2 for another set of softs. Enter the pits in P8, exit in P12, sandwiched between the Medium runners. Need to push thru the pack to continue the strategy.

Lap 27 (44:00) - SAFETY CAR! SAFETY CAR! @MrRobinhx goes into the wall entering the main straight, triggering the SC. Unfortunately this happens just as I pass the pit entrance. Hmm, this throws the strategy right out the window.

Lap 28 (45:45) - Screw it. Running P10 and figuring I have enough of a lead ahead of P11 I box for some fast SS tyres. Unfortunately I exit the pits in P11, trying to catch up to the SC queue. Hmm...

Lap 31 (51:00) - Oww my ass.

Lap 31 Continued (51:10) - Entering the main straight all hell breaks loose! @SEAN-GBR and @louielouie50 are tangled up at the pit entrance as @chris130256, @MJ7, and @Salvo Failla all collect each other. I somehow manage to slip by with two tyres into the gravel, and up into P7. I keep the Slammer in Rich mix and Hotlap ERS, and SS tyres, and push hard to see what points I can steal.

Lap 32 (52:05) - I can see my teammate @iej76 is having trouble after the restart on worn Mediums. Manage to get the DRS towards Turn 10 for P6.

*The top 5 are a bit ahead, so I figured the only thing I can hope for are penalties*

ACROSS THE LINE (54:00) - With penalties it's up to P5! What an ending!

Post-Race Interview - What a race! Overall I don't think the gamble on the 2-stopper worked out for me. Going off into the gravel and dropping to dead last on Lap 1 didn't help my strategy, but with the SC at the end and gambling on an extra stop for SS helped a bit. Luckily I was able to escape destruction on the SC restart.

Congrats to @Nick-1054 on another win!
Congrats to @ramma and @Limaro Fipama to round out the podium!

See you all at Monaco! Bring some extra front wings!

Race results and write up already Jason? On the ball today mate :ROFLMAO:

ramma

Formula 4 Test Driver
Aug 12, 2018
Alrighty, first try with a summary. I was trying to put together a highlight clip, but since I stream live, and the PS4 without a capture card streams like a potato to put it nicely, I think I'll wait to do highlights till I have a better system sorted. It wasn't a terribly eventful race for me anyway.

Qualified - 3rd
Finished - 2nd

START - WJORR either lagged on the start of just had a poor start, so I had to swerve around last second as he not even left has grid box by the time I'd made it past. That bumped me up one place to 2nd and him to 3rd though very briefly to 4th. He managed to maintain 3rd and give me a bit of a push for the first few laps, but then I started getting comfortable again...

First Pit stops
Nick pits end of lap 4, earlier than I was expecting. I decide to pit end of lap 6, followed in by limaro and I'm guessing f1_scott_golf? (it's a dot of that color at least). Both me and limaro swap our SS for S, nothing eventful really...

Second Pit stops
Again Nick pits early at the end of lap 16. His tires were older though, and it was probably safe to assume he'd be going the mediums. I pushed my softs as far as I comfortably could to do the SS-S-S strategy instead, so when I finally pit it's the end of lap 21 and into the softs. Pace should be great with the low fuel vs the mediums! And it was...

Safety car
Talk about timing. I'd been gaining steadily from 2nd thanks to the fresh softs, some even by 0.5 or more a lap. With consistently good laps I'd for sure have caught Nick in 1st, getting past is another story though. Buuuut, safety car. :cautious:
Free closing of the gap was nice I suppose. Just the safety car was out so long the tires turned to rocks, so any gap closed couldn't be taken advantage of in the laps left because the tires never really fully came back online.

FINISH
Anyway, I held second across the line with just over a 0.5 sec gap. Would have loved my first win, but I'm very pleased with the result nonetheless.
Not very uneventful like I said. There's a few things worth sharing if I can figure out my video situation.

MrRobinhx

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 14, 2017
Qualified: 12th
Race: DNF

I had a hard qualification. I struggling on this track so i just qualified in P12.
The Racestart was great until turn 1 accident happens in front of me. I keep my cool and climb up a little bit in the field.

In lap 27 i accelerate to much on the apex in the last turn and crash into the wall. Congrats to Nick with the victory.

Here is my highlight video.

Limaro_83

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017

I had a hard qualification. I struggling on this track so i just qualified in P12.
The Racestart was great until turn 1 accident happens in front of me. I keep my cool and climb up a little bit in the field.

In lap 27 i accelerate to much on the apex in the last turn and crash into the wall. Congrats to Nick with the victory.

Great video again @MrRobinhx (y)

F1Scotgolf

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014

Glad your ok after that nasty accident did you run 9 on balance by any chance