Apr 22, 2014
Round 5 - Spanish Grand Prix
AOR F1 2017 Season 14

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 12th November 2017
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
Laps: 33

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
@Jess

Last edited:

Jozzers

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Apr 22, 2014
Right then guys and girls, Catalunya, Spain,

I think after the last couple of races and for some, a feeling of disappointment, we need to go over a couple of things before the weekends race, we have a good bunch here so lets nip any growing concerns in the bud.

The start over the last two races have been a little haphazard, me included this week, so can we please revert back to the mindset we had at the start in China (and Melbourne, Biolite facing backwards aside, still makes me chuckle) then we can all enjoy a full race and without the need to pit for a new nosecone on the first lap. We should be improving as a bunch not getting worse, I feel we can put some of it last week down to some 'global' network issues as several replays I have seen have put cars in so many different positions it'd be hard to confirm the blame in many instances; however I was dive-bombed by 3 different cars in the first 4 turns in Russia, saw two team mates coming together and a near miss of the remainder of my front wing as we went 3-4 abreast into some corners.. If we need to work on starting off the grid then we can set up a few quick 3 Lap lobbies with random grids and we can have half an hour or so of practicing getting away?? I know I'd probably benefit from it, as it all gets a little bewildering when the lights go out sometimes :O

On a more positive note I think we have been pretty good in qualifying and in the race in general so we all deserve some credit for that I feel, if we can keep out each others way at the start then there'll be more of us to compete with and against every week and we'll all enjoy the season as it develops. To those who have been unfortunate enough to miss out on points, I assure you the season has enough races for us all to be in with a chance, if not for Boxen I'd have had 3 poles and 2 wins but that's how it goes, I've learned that every week is different and you just have to maximise the points realistically available, not in the first corner but over the 30 or so laps after it.

I've tried not to come across as condescending or patronising nor do I want to remove the fun out of what we look forward to each week, let's just keep it clean and respectful into the first few corners guys..

Again, if anyone fancies hosting a practice session or some 3 lap random grid races then crack on, I think HeadSquid is up for doing one on Friday and I'll be around at some stage so yeah, see you guys in Spain :)

@RichyB @Bruinman92 @Etazin @Head Squid @Jess @Biolite80 @sokecillo @gameguy nl @IntergalacticGentleman @EditedStorm27 @AspergerNerd @Levitikan @menk @Jonnard @TRL_graveltrap @Douwe_C @Bas-BB @ITMRacing

EDIT: On a lighter note I've opened up a forum for us to share our 'funniest moments' of the season so far which I will start, I have 3, one is a bit cruel as it was an unfortunate DNF for somebody but I'll harp on about that over there...

Last edited:

Head Squid

GP2 Reserve Driver
Aug 24, 2017
Hey guys as @Jozzers said I am up for hosting a practice session on Friday (I have the day off due to veterans day) I will probably start it around the normal race time. You guys are all welcome to join for practice, If you are interested please add me on steam so I can invite you once I have the session up. Perhaps we should even practice our race starts so its not just a giant pin ball game?

Head Squid

GP2 Reserve Driver
Aug 24, 2017
Guys just a reminder, practice session will be starting in about 30 minuets please add me as a friend if you havent already for an invite

RichyB

Reigning S14 AOR PC Assist 2 Champion
Oct 16, 2017
Hey guys, I'm setting up a practice session sunday at 2:30 PM UK time. We will do a practice session, short quali and a 50% race. Make sure to add me on steam if you want to join and don't be late! I want to watch the real life Grand Prix ;)

My steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198015493215/

Etazin

Semi-Pro Karter
Sep 1, 2017
I'll be on and hosting a few three lap races at 1pm est if anyone wants the join :) today (Saturday)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jess

DiRT Coordinator
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
AOR Commentator
Jun 4, 2017
@Jozzers i can't make tonight I am afraid :( Rehearsal doesn't finish until 9pm and they won't let me go early :(

Levitikan

Pro Karter
Jul 31, 2017
now going to host a practice session before the race if you guys want to join for the warm up

Sloth

Pro Karter
Nov 9, 2017
wow what a race for my first race I got DSQ In quali because I ran out of fuel and then had to slow down to let people through then my car wouldn't move so I got DSQ for parking in unsafe area , then went from dead last on the grid to 7th but got 8th because I got a time pen , but what a race with the rain as well good racing everyone!! :)

Reactions: Jozzers

Douwe_C

Pro Karter
Aug 10, 2017
Good racing yesterday everyone! I felt like almost everyone was really trying to keep it clean into turn one from what I could see. Still there were some guys who again went full guns blazing into turn one, but I think they know who they are. For example it looked like @Biolite80 got shoved off the track going into turn one.

My start was not good at all. I could not find the traction from the grid and got overtaken by 3 or 4 cars starting from P2. So that was really disappointing for me. After that I could not really find my pace. I also underfuelled the car which was a mistake. I could not match the pace of the front running cars, but when I turned up the engine into rich mix for a lap I immediately could set a new fastest lap. So maybe I could have done something more if I had overfuelled my car.

But nevertheless it was just another perfect drive from @EditedStorm27, so congratz to him. And also congratz to @Jozzers for returning to the podium and @RichyB on his first pole and podium!

So now we go to Monaco.. I am really unsure what to expect from this one. This will be a real test for all of us I believe. Letting faster cars through and clean racing overall is going to be really hard. So I think doing a practice race for this one this week could be a good idea. I could host a lobby. So let me know how you guys think about that and when you would be available for a practice race.

Jozzers

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Apr 22, 2014
Thanks @Douwe_C it's nice to be back in the mix at the front end..

Mixed feelings for me after the race..some ways I am just glad to have made it through 33 laps of torrential rain and on the podium, but in other ways 2nd was handed to me then I conspired to throw it away...

Excellent start passing both Storm and Douwe before entering T1 which as far as I know was the best T1 we've had this year? Lap 2/3 and @EditedStorm27 managed to pass me on the uphill right hander before the back straight after I ran wide..down to 3rd; I then profited from @RichyB suffering the same fate into the same turn it seemed a couple of laps later as I then looked to secure 2nd managing a reasonable gap from Richy/Douwe battling out for 3rd...Pit-stops came and I had an awful stop, the clutch not releasing and losing a couple of seconds, not to worry, I still had a reasonable gap to 3rd.

The 2nd stint on the wets was a struggle, missing apexes and braking points which gave Richy a chance to regain 2nd which after some cat and mouse for several laps he did, with 2 laps to go after a poor exit leading on the straight; tried to fight him but had nothing left, now it was keep it on the road and secure 3rd...

Overall I think I'm happy with that..looking back, like Douwe I underfuelled the car by about a lap (and in making the car run lean made me miss braking points? odd..) which left me a bit vulnerable at the end to the charge from Richy, but if I didn't keep losing braking points/time into T4 and T9 on the second stint I'd have most likely kept 2nd, however if Richy hadn't run wide in T8 then I'd not have been 2nd in the first place, so that's the way it goes :)...

Congrats to Storm for his superb drive in the wet and 2nd consecutive win, and of course to RichyB for his stonker of a pole lap and for his first podium.

See you in Monaco guys and girls..

Last edited:
Reactions: RichyB and Douwe_C

RichyB

Reigning S14 AOR PC Assist 2 Champion
Oct 16, 2017
The race yesterday was very enjoyable! I could have battled for 1st place if I wouldn't have spun on lap 6!

I had a great start and managed to pull away a bit in the first few laps. The spin was a stupid mistake by me as I tried to push a bit when I noticed that @EditedStorm27 had adjusted to the conditions brilliantly and was closing in slowly. After the spin I fell back to 4th place behind @Douwe_C. I managed to overtake him for p3 after some hard and clean battling and pull a small gap. Later in the stint my confidence degraded with my tyres, as I saw @Douwe_C closing in and @Jozzers pulling away. Luckily, my pace in the second stint was a lot better. I closed in on @Jozzers and took advantage from my only better exit out of the last corner, and overtook him on the main straight for p2. After that it was all about bringing the car home without any mistakes to finish in p2, my first podium in this league!

Congratulations to @EditedStorm27 with his win and everyone who is happy with their result.

EditedStorm27

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jul 26, 2016
Thanks for another awesome race guys my highlights will be up soon but due to my mocks coming up in a few weeks it is not my priority
First of all @RichyB , @Jozzers warned me you would be quick but to be pole by almost a second is incredible for your second race and is up there with the pace of F3 drivers. On lap 1 I had my usual bad start dropping a position to @Jozzers but managing to get one off a slow starting @Douwe_C , into turn 1 I saw @Head Squid go for a lunge so I left him space even going off track but he ended up getting a slow exit. From there I tried to mount the pressure on my championship rival @Jozzers after I had surprisingly good pace in the rain considering I am not a fan of Catalunya. On lap 2 or 3 @Jozzers ran slightly wide gifting me 2nd place and after maintaining the gap to a speedy @RichyB he also ran wide although instead of losing a couple of tenths he violently speared of into the gravel miraculously rejoining just behind 3rd and only 12 seconds down, from there I tried to stretch my lead which stayed pretty stable to the two cars behind until the second stint where I was able to pull away, I was so jealous of the battle between @RichyB and @Jozzers at the end as it looked very intense but well done to RichyB again for that stellar drive to comeback to P2 and in my eyes he definitely deserved the win and probably driver of the day too.
For me it means for the first time I have a gap in my lead in the standings but as I am sure I will crash in Monaco like I did in the Xbox league last season I can see that lead evaporating but I still cannot wait even so I have to cut down on practice. I can see this being a very close title fight as RichyB definitely has the pace along with 5 or so others and most of all Jozzers so I can't wait to see it all unfold

Head Squid

GP2 Reserve Driver
Aug 24, 2017
Pretty disappointed in my self from the race and Qualy to be honest... I thought Qualifying went well but then at the end of the session I got knocked down to P6. During the race I couldn't keep my car on the track and my tyre wear was abysmal not to mention losing my front wing a few times and crashing. My first season is shaping up to be quite the learning experience, i am already starting to learn a lot.