PC - Round 6 - Canadian Grand Prix [28/05/2017 - 8:00pm UK time] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Round 6 - Canadian Grand Prix [28/05/2017 - 8:00pm UK time]

Metten

Formula 3 Test Driver
May 19, 2017
Off Topic: Alonso had an engine failure in the Indy 500. As if it couldn't get any worse with engine failures for him this year haha

Reactions: CH34TER and H_pro1

t0mzz

S13 AOR PC Split 3 Champion
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 6, 2017
Dunno if my race needs a summary considering how terrible it was from beginning to end but I'm still gonna give it a go. Got 2nd place on the grid after having made a fantastic 1:12.7xx which is honestly the fastest lap I could've done with higher wings settings for the race (8/9 actually). Hats off to @Craigieboy for his even better lap who got him to pole position for the first time. Then, I made a very big mistake at the start of the race by pushing the throttle pedal a bit too early which sent me into the wall. Luckily I started on the right side of the grid so that no cars were involved in my accident. Went wide at Turn 2 and I dropped to the back of the field next to my teammate for this race @ChokDK but a tap from my left made me hit the inside wall at the exit of Turn 2 and forced me to pit for repairs.

After repairing my front wing, I had an empty track ahead of me and everything to win so I tried to get to grip with the full wet tyres which I was not entirely used to yet (I've only done a few laps in TT at this point before the race). The rain eventually eased up a couple of laps later and I dived into the pits for a second time to put the intermediate tyres on the banana itself as I was slowly catching up to @Footyad24 ahead.

Towards the 15th lap of the race, the track started to dry up and the rain started to cease and as several cars started to make their pitstops, I decided to stay out for one or two more laps and to put the soft tyres until the end of the race. Managed to catch up to @ChineseWiener who had a lot of lag for some reason (my Internet felt good all day long so I don't think it came from me) and was very difficult to pass but after a couple of laps stuck behind the Haas driver, he made a mistake at the Wall of Champions and I could overtake him for 9th. Then, I received a 3-second time penalty which forced me to push so that I could have a 3-second gap to Chinese.

In the end, it's P9 after a terrible race and a silly mistake at the start. I had the potential to be at least on the podium... but let's forget this race and think about the Austrian Grand Prix with one of my favorite tracks on the calendar! (y)

Scott_Aitchison

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jun 27, 2015
What a terrible race from me, I was doing well until a slight glance on the wall caused me to lose a wheel, I honestly don't get it, I could hit the wall just as hard last season and get away with it but this season is costing me massively, felt I could have had the pace for top 5 maybe. My POV is below:

Reactions: H_pro1

Meireloso

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
Q: P4, good lap, I improved my time from last season by 1 tenth

R: Looking for some thrill, I dare to start on intermediate tyres. The target was to try to keep the most possible into the pack and lost the less time as possible to the leader. Fortunately (for myself :D , obviously) @Ely' bottled his start, and I lost only one position as it's @KurvZ taking the 4th place. At the end of the 1st lap, I'm P5, struggling a lot with the tyres and the lack of point of reference in braking zones (also I was a bit too uncertain, hesitant)..

L2 then I'm battling against @fraguitar89 he tries the move at the hairpin but he brakes too late, goes too wide and @Dazzy Oz who benefites of both of us battling to get past. P6. It's still heavy rain and I'm trying to hold @Scott_Aitchison the best I can. After 2 laps of battling where I felt he was reaaally patient he finally overtakes me.

L6 The track is now for intermediate tyres. I think a lot of you guys wanted to go until the dry conditions on the wet tyres which was logical I guess but the time loss was too important so you got no choice to pit to put the intermediate tyres. From the top 5 at this point it's @Craigieboy who made the best decision to stop that early and I think this has been crucial on his victory (his pace, too). Anyway when he exited from the pits I was ahead, which means my strategy actually worked :D After everyone made his stop, I'm finally P1 at L9 not far ahead Craigieboy.

One lap later Craigieboy got no trouble to overtake me for the lead. Fortunately, I managed to maintain a ~1s gap so at this point I'm still in the race for the win... Until..

UNTIL THE DRY CONDITIONS

L17 it's time for slicks ! I stop, and Craigieboy doesn't ! i put the SS. I thought I would be back in 1st but he managed to keep his lead the next lap even if it was really close ! Anyway he's going too fast now, we didn't even battling on dry, and @JurYEdits + @H_pro1 are battling for 3rd, 5s behind me...

FINAL LAP : THE FEAR OF THE RACE I got 2 backmarkers behind me (I felt sorry for them but I couldn't go faster, you know, the tyres, at some point... Well). One tried a divebomb at T1 and hit me :nailbiting: Fortunately no dammage and no big time loss, I keep my position and I crossed the line in 2nd place which is good :angelic:

Craigieboy

Pro Karter
Apr 27, 2017
Another fun race for me, have to say my impressions of this league in particular as well as AOR as a whole has been very good.

Quali:

My run up to this race in practicing didn't start off well but the social I did on Saturday was much more promising. Despite that before setting my first lap I still wasn't sure how fast my competition would be. The first few quick laps I saw were around the mid to low 13s and I was sure I could get into the 12s with a solid lap so I pushed on and by the end I did a 1:12.5 which was good enough for pole position!

Race:

As we all found out when the session started, the race would begin with heavy rain. This was my first wet weather racing here so I wasn't sure who would be quick and who would struggle. I got off the line reasonably good considering the conditions but right from the off I was being put under pressure from @H_pro1 and got passed on the back straight of lap 2, I was able to stick with him but no opportunities to pass.

Towards the end of lap 6 my engineer made the call to switch to intermediates which I always rely on for when the crossover point is so I pitted. When I came out I saw @Meireloso just ahead of me who I understand started on inters to begin with so his strategy worked pretty well for him. Again I was able to keep up but not many chances to overtake until lap 10 where he slid a bit out of turn 7 and I could get alongside and pass into turn 8.

Like Meireloso said, he was able to stay close to me in the damp conditions which wasn't good for me as through the race I picked up two penalties for cutting. I do try and race as fair as possible while still pushing to be as quick as I can but particularly here I was having a hard time with the warnings. I am aware it doesn't look good for me so I will try harder to not be penalized.

As the laps went on the track was improving and around lap 17 I saw some of you pitting, like I mentioned before I usually wait till the alternate strategy pops up to know when to change so I stayed out. The next lap I was told to change to drys and at this point I saw Meireloso on the super softs which I did think would last to the end but they would be pretty worn so I opted to go on the softs.

Coming out of the pits I could see Meireloso going into turn 1 so I floored it and just managed to come out ahead. From this point my pace seemed to come alive compared to the wet running. My initial first few laps on drys felt great and I kept seeing purple sectors and peaked at a 1:14.6 which allowed me to break away from Meireloso a bit.

From this point I was just pushing to get as big a gap to 2nd as possible due to the penalties I mentioned earlier. My theory that the super softs would be slower near the end seemed to be true as Meireloso fell back more and more as the laps counted down. Only other thing to happen to me was when @JurYEdits game crashed or something and rejoined and being put in the lead on lap 33.

So technically I didn't win the race but I've been assured the right results will be added once the stewards inquiry has been seen to. I feel this race win has been coming since Spain as I've felt my pace was good enough but other factors in the races have held me back.

See you all at Austria!

Meireloso

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2014
As the laps went on the track was improving and around lap 17 I saw some of you pitting, like I mentioned before I usually wait till the alternate strategy pops up to know when to change so I stayed out. The next lap I was told to change to drys and at this point I saw Meireloso on the super softs which I did think would last to the end but they would be pretty worn so I opted to go on the softs.

Coming out of the pits I could see Meireloso going into turn 1 so I floored it and just managed to come out ahead. From this point my pace seemed to come alive compared to the wet running. My initial first few laps on drys felt great and I kept seeing purple sectors and peaked at a 1:14.6 which allowed me to break away from Meireloso a bit.

From this point I was just pushing to get as big a gap to 2nd as possible due to the penalties I mentioned earlier. My theory that the super softs would be slower near the end seemed to be true as Meireloso fell back more and more as the laps counted down. Only other thing to happen to me was when @JurYEdits game crashed or something and rejoined and being put in the lead on lap 33.
Super softs were actually still good (more or less) at the end, nothing about the tyre wear, even with softs tyres you were quicker there ;) Was just praying you hit the wall lol

Reactions: KurvZ

Metten

Formula 3 Test Driver
May 19, 2017
Here my POV of the race. Qualifying P13 and finished the race in P7. My qualifying was absolutly terrible. You could say I was a corner cutting genius in Canada in the qualifying haha. Potential was a lap in the 1:12's. In the end happy to finish P7 in the race.

For the race I unfortunatly had contact in lap two with @Ludvig Petersson at the final chicane by my own mistake and wanted to wait for him after that but he had a weird glitch and got stuck on the kerb of the corner. I was a bit too optimistic by trying to overtake him there and made a rookie league racing mistake ;). Will try to prevent this in the future ofcourse.

After this incident I had good stints in the rain. I suprised myself with my pace in the rain and made up the lost time to the people in front quite quickly. Gained some positions and stayed in a good rhytm. Chose for the Wet -> Inter -> Super Soft strategy and in the end cathed up to @Dazzy Oz and was looking forward to a nice battle with him for this position. Unfortunatly made a small mistake by going on the throttle too early and after that I had a race by myself too the finish line. At least I managed to prevent damage too my car :p.

So after all a good recovery drive from P13 into a nice points paying P7. I think without my stupid mistake in lap 2 I could have gone for a top 5 position, which looks like a nice goal for each race. Also really happy about not getting any penalties in the race after the problems with it in qualifying.

Next up Austria!

t0mzz

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 6, 2017
My POV will be uploaded when the results glitch will be fixed. Editing is done already

t0mzz

Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 6, 2017
Here's my POV of my chaotic race: