Oct 2, 2016
Round 8 - Azerbaijan Grand Prix
AOR F1 2017 Season 14

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 3rd December 2017
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Baku City Circuit
Laps: 26

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:

washy03

Reigning S14 AOR PS4 F8 Champion
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 2, 2016
This is also the day of my birthday, so be a nice bunch and let me win. OR YOU'LL ALL BE BLACKLISTED :sneaky:

Jason007

F1 Coordinator
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2017
I guess you could say Baku is just a wider Monaco...? One of my lesser favourite circuits. The castle section is pretty cool though. Easy to sheer off a wheel or two! Ask Palmer about that one.

Mcquiz95

Formula Karter
Aug 26, 2017
Well it is a street circuit but outside the aforementioned Castle section you don't get nearly as close to the walls as in Monaco, it is a much faster lap and only 25 laps instead of the 39 in Monaco so we should be much better off.

Da Eagle

Semi-Pro Karter
Jan 6, 2015
As it stands now i think i'm gonna need the racing line assist for the first time in 7 years of playing these games. I get lost on this track very easily, thinking there's a left turn coming up but actually it's a right turn, also the brake marker boards are very hard to determine, when doing 330 - 340 kph., as the surroundings look very similar all over the place. But like i said, it's still early day and i need to put in more laps on this track. I've got the same problem with Singapore coming up later this season.

ZeQ420

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Mar 30, 2017
Love this track, shame I'm not going to get much time to practice this week or I'd fancy my chances of a podium here! :(

iej76

Formula 4 1st Driver
Oct 15, 2015
This is also the day of my birthday, so be a nice bunch and let me win. OR YOU'LL ALL BE BLACKLISTED :sneaky:
At work when it is your birthday, you are supposed to bear the gifts and bring in the cakes. On this basis washy perhaps you kindly pull over and let us all through!

ZeQ420

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Mar 30, 2017
At work when it is your birthday, you are supposed to bear the gifts and bring in the cakes. On this basis washy perhaps you kindly pull over and let us all through!
I second this. (y)

caddiedamus

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 20, 2017
Unsure if I’ll be able to make it due to work. I unfortunately won’t know until tomorrow.

ZeQ420

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Mar 30, 2017
Race day! (y)

Good luck keeping it out of the walls guys and happy birthday Washy! :)

washy03

Reigning S14 AOR PS4 F8 Champion
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 2, 2016

Da Eagle

Semi-Pro Karter
Jan 6, 2015
Happy B-Day Washy
Well i'm gonna drive without the racing line. But i don't know what it is with this game concerning braking, i keep locking up even with the brake pressure set to 64%, and the brake bias set to 54%. In all the other games 2010 - 2016 this has never been an issue for me. Really weird. LOL I must have a really heavy left foot.

Jason007

F1 Coordinator
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2017
Going to bring extra front wings for today.

Oh, and happy birthday @washy03 !

Mcquiz95

Formula Karter
Aug 26, 2017
Happy B-Day Washy
Well i'm gonna drive without the racing line. But i don't know what it is with this game concerning braking, i keep locking up even with the brake pressure set to 64%, and the brake bias set to 54%. In all the other games 2010 - 2016 this has never been an issue for me. Really weird. LOL I must have a really heavy left foot.

I think it is just in the design, you can not lock up but you are definitely slower that way, makes no sense. It looks especially bad in spectator mode, on Soup's livestreams it looks like I lock up on every other corner and that is definitely not the case.

Happy birthday @washy03!

ZeQ420

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Mar 30, 2017
Anyone fancying stretching those Mediums to a 0-stop?

It's possible... I've tried it :)

Soupcooler

Pro Karter
Feb 20, 2017
Here's the coverage of Round 8,complete with very awkward interruption. Hope you enjoy!

Jason007

F1 Coordinator
Staff Member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2017
Qualy: P8
Race: P8
Driver of the Day: Max Verstappen

*See qualification video at the bottom*

Qualification
Well it looks like the PS4 DVR got jacked up somehow? It recorded all of qualification and about 10 seconds of race, but somehow put the race portion before the qualification, even though it was a single video? Weird. Not sure what happened there. Looks like another short post-race interview for Baku.

I didn't get a whole lot of practice this week due continued illness, but managed to get some practice time in on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Baku is one of least favorite circuits (on par with Malaysia). Qualifying was uneventful. My first flying lap put me in P5, but eventually tumbled down the order. Improved slightly on my second flying lap, then headed into the pits. Once it was all said and done it was P8. Mid-pack at Baku... great. I'm starting to get used to these mid-field starts.

Race
The only way to describe this race for me is a comedic disaster. Got a decent start at lights out and it became like riding bumper cars through the first few turns. Going through Turn 1 I remember seeing red arrows pointing in EVERY possible direction. The only thing I could do was maintain my lane in the middle of the circuit and hope for the best.

I have no idea what happened to my consistency, but I managed to destroy three wings by lap 4. Any strategy that existed went right out the window. At this point I was P11 and the only hope left was for DNF's to occur and mop up whatever points I could. Before lap 10 I managed to knock another front wing, pitted, and came out on medium tyres. I figured I would take these to the end and see what happens. A few laps later... BOOM... barrier... slightly damaged wing again. Uggh.

Not too much happened after this. Got lapped again, but my focus was just on finishing the race.

In the end I crossed the line in P8 +1 lap. I'll take it. Close book and move onto next weekend.

Congrats to @Mcquiz95 on the win!
Congrats to the podium finishers!

iej76

Formula 4 1st Driver
Oct 15, 2015
My race highlights or lowlights might be a better description. Excuse the error at first pit stop where I describe the tyres
as hards not mediums