May 24, 2017
Round 8 - Belgian Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 15

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 3rd June 2018
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Laps: 22

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
@Flaf

Last edited:

Borderline

S18 AOR PC F9 Champion
Staff member
ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Dec 25, 2017
I seriously hope people get their act together this race. I'm done with practicing for 30 hours in a week and then get trashed in the race afterwards...

Flaf

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 29, 2017
I injured my wrist this week rock climbing. I could play with a pad technically but please mark me down as tentative for now; ill keep you updated.

Reactions: Jipper

Flaf

Semi-Pro Karter
Aug 29, 2017
Unfortunately, I won't be making it to the race.

Hope to be back in the fight next weekend.

GL to all

• Informative
Reactions: Jipper

Snook

F1 Schumacher Equivalent
Dec 16, 2017
Qualy P4

I planned to do 2 laps, did the first one and while doing the second lap, my game alt+tab'd for some unknown reason and the lap was over.

Race P3
I was up to 3rd when @Portex and @teunvanberkel made contact which I did not have a chance to avoid. I took slight front wing damage and had to pit 1 lap earlier then I intended and had to change my wing in 9 seconds as well. After that I was playing catch up all race long. I was after @Rienk on the closing stages and we both took advantage of @teunvanberkel making a mistake. I got close to @Rienk at the end but not close enough to pass him, therefore 3rd place at the end.

This is the second time Rienk was ahead of me and I couldn't pass him at the end... lets not keep this trend going shall we @Rienk?

Reactions: Rienk and T-Havok

RichyB

Reigning S14 AOR PC Assist 2 Champion
Oct 16, 2017
First thoughts:
Fucked up qualy and started last. Even though I was driving very cautiously I got wing damage on lap 2/3 which I had to manage untill lap 12.
In the meantime people had left the session and the slipstream was gone once again... So an overtake that would have easily happened on lap 19 had to wait untill lap 20, lost a lot of time battling for it.
So a bit dissapointed in myself, the people that left the session and the result.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Havok

Rienk

AOR iRacing GTE S10 Pro/Am Champion
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2017
WOOooOooOoOOoOO

Pre-race
I was absolutely sweating it for this race. Last season's race around here ended in a not so fun manner, so I had something to set right here. I even practiced what to do if I went wide in pouhon, or the understeer corner and the such, so yeah. Managed to get a 1:43:1 in TT whilst practicing as well, which I was pretty happy with.

Also, right when the lobby was about to start, my router decided just not work for about half a minute, which was quite a scare. I was saying to myself (Not now, please not now) as I saw any chance of being able to redeem myself around Spa vanishing before my eyes. It started working again after though. Relieved.

Qualifying (P2)
Pretty much all I could've hoped for. Set a banker lap of 1:44:446 with 2 laps of fuel on board, and after pitting, set a pretty amazing lap of 1:43:923, exactly the same as @Portex, but slightly earlier. Only really left about half a tenth on the table due to being a little careful in pouhon and maybe a bit in the bus-stop.

Race (P2, US -> S)
Had a pretty abysmal start. Tried to stay around the outside of @teunvanberkel through T1, but he seemed to have slightly missed the corner himself and pushed me wide off the track, handing positions to both @Portex and @Snook. Then, because of the frustration. I slightly overshot Les Combes, and I now had to defend from @Jipper as well. After I got settled again, I noticed @teunvanberkel was making quite a few mistakes, so I just did my best to stick to him and just wait for a mistake. Tried to overtake a few times, mostly through Les Combes, but couldn't make it stick.

After lap 5, it was time for a pit stop. I saw @teunvanberkel and @Snook going in as well, and contemplated staying out, but I didn't want to risk it with the Ultrasofts around Spa. Managed to jump @Snook in the pits, because he was either having an amazingly bad stop, a stop-go, or he had to change a wing. @teunvanberkel still seemed to have some troubles getting used to his tires, so on the first few laps I was right up there trying to force myself past, because at that stage I just knew I could go quicker than this. I still couldn't make it stick though, and soon enough @teunvanberkel got used to the situation and started making less mistakes, so I just continued to sit behind him waiting for a mistake.

After all the 2-stoppers (I assume) had pitted, I was P3 right behind @teunvanberkel, with @Snook closing in bit by bit. I was just sticking as close as possible, making as little mistake as possible, but I just knew that the dirty air was slowing me down big time. Soon enough @Snook pretty much caught up. I was just being consistent, always being within a few tenths from my fastest lap. I made a few mistakes here and there through mostly no-name and pouhon, but nothing major. They did make for some pretty scary moments where @Snook got dangerously close, but never really close enough.

Then, on lap 20, the magical moment I had been waiting for all race finally happened. @teunvanberkel made a major mistake. He went too hot into the understeer corner, and almost half-spun. I managed to get by scott free, and I think he held @Snook up a little as well, so couldn't have been better for me. The last 2 laps were then just trying to not make mistakes, which mostly worked, and I managed to finish a second clear of @Snook and 7 seconds behind @Portex.

Very happy with my first podium this split, and completely ecstatic that I managed to deliver a solid performance around Spa finally. I might have been able to race with @Portex for the lead if it wasn't for the T1 incident and me being stuck behind @teunvanberkel whilst he wasn't up to speed yet, but I can definitely live with P2. Sadly, me having to restart my game seems to have killed my recording's audio, so I'm gonna have to put some music over it or smt.

Rienk

Premium Member
Sep 9, 2017
This is the second time Rienk was ahead of me and I couldn't pass him at the end... lets not keep this trend going shall we @Rienk?
I quite like it actually. No change needed imo.

• Faff
Reactions: Snook

Rienk

Premium Member
Sep 9, 2017
I will now be eating my celebratory pizza, preparing myself for the race in Italy in 2 weeks.

(I actually haven't eaten before the race, so I'm eating a pizza at 11 pm lmao)

Kiinako

S14 AOR PC F7 Champion
Sep 20, 2017
Whilst I don't have any celebratory pizza, I did have a good race.

Quali was garbage. Did the banker lap which was actually really awful, and then got both laps cucked. 17th.

Race went way way way better. The start itself was highlight worthy, so I will present to you my highlights (I should really start recording these locally)

Reactions: Rienk

Jipper

S14 AOR PC F6 Champion
Premium Member
May 24, 2017
Hey guys, the spreadsheet has messed up so i cant update the results as yet, so i will get it done as soon as its fixed :)

Reactions: Rienk and T-Havok

Kreosteijn

Formula 4 1st Driver
Sep 10, 2017
I messed up my qualifying on all 3 attempts and my race wasn't any better: definitely one to forget. Though I did have some fun battles with @Borderline and @DackeBerg (what happened to you?).

This race has made the championship very close: only 10 points between the top 4 drivers, who now all have 2 wins.

1528068124585.png

Last edited:

Jipper

S14 AOR PC F6 Champion
Premium Member
May 24, 2017
Wowsers that was a scrappy race,

I must say this has been the worst season ive had for contact on track, this is meant to be a non contact sport! and yet every time a car is near me i get tagged or bumped whether by accident or by not giving up impossible overtakes and trying to force them! this really needs to change!

Here's my POV:

Borderline

S18 AOR PC F9 Champion
Staff member
ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Dec 25, 2017
For once I can honestly say all the accidents, where I lost my front wing, were my own fault. Lost my front wing 3 times. And after changing for the 3rd time at the end of lap 19 (I think), I was dead last and tried to get the fastest lap with a lot of clean air. But even at that, I failed. Hope I can get out of this negative streak and get into the points again after 2 weeks of practice.

Rienk

Premium Member
Sep 9, 2017
RIP my recording audio. Guess I'll just shoddily edit in some NCS music.

Reactions: Snook

FraGioco9

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Feb 25, 2018
Good job @Rienk with your pizza, so proud of you :D
This has been my worst ever season of my online racing (actually it's just the third I do ahah), I'm so unlucky, I keep getting caught in incidents where it's not my fault.
I won't even be racing in Italy, my home race... At least I won't be disappointed about the race being bad

Thomas Schmidt

Semi-Pro Karter
Mar 18, 2018
Hey guys, sry for not attending last sundays race. I had a lot of stuff going on and totaly forgot to let you know, that i wont be able to race. Big sry! Won't happen again!

RichyB

Reigning S14 AOR PC Assist 2 Champion
Oct 16, 2017
Left this a bit late, but oh well.

First of all I would like to share something with you guys, which is that I will be driving a promotion race to get in the Ziggo Pro League (most dutchies will probably know what I'm talking about). It's basicly a league setup by a Dutch television provider and has a qualifying route to get into the league. I'm very lucky to get this far into the qualifying process for this league and will probably make a video about this process within the next 2 weeks for the people interested.
Because of this I have to start learning to drive without the Racing Line. So Monza will be my first AOR race without Racing Line. My pace might drop off in the first few races but I hope it makes me faster in the long run. Also, if it rains I might turn it back on again if I haven't done enough wet weather practice.

Now, the Belgian GP
Qualy (P20)
Came into qualy very confident, as I did a 1:42.8 in the practice session just before the race. Then for the actual qualy I tried to chase this time to much which resulted in a mistake on my first lap and a very slight cornercut on my 2nd lap, no time set.

Race (P10)
Decided to run the softs for the first 12 laps to pit for the super softs for the last 10 laps.
Started of very slow on purpose to stay out of all the carnage, knowing that when everything cooled down, I could do some overtakes and push in clear air for maybe a decent points finishing position. This all went pretty well for 2 laps, but on lap 3 I hit the back of an early breaking Red Bull, chopping off a bit of my front wing. This damage cost me about 1 second per lap.
At the end of my stint the front runners who already made their stops started overtaking me. Having wing damage and older tyres I decided to not defend against them and also pit 1 lap earlier because of my damage. I came out of the pits in P12.
After the horrible first stint, the super softs combined with a front wing change felt great and I was able to set 1:46's constantly. Overtook someone in the pits and overtook Piekarz after some battling. In my opinion he pushed me off track while defending, so I decided to return the favor the lap after. However, this would have been an easy overtake without the slipstream bug, but I already said that right after the race.
A bit dissapointed with P10. I had the pace to win this race but only have myself to blame with a poor qualifying.