Jan 14, 2014
Round 8 - French Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 16

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 2nd December 2018
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Circuit Paul Ricard
Laps: 27

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
- @defisparta

Last edited:

TheVerenzak

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Time of day change for France

Due to the game's "official" time-of-day setting giving particularly unrealistic and annoying lighting at Paul Ricard, all leagues will be running time-of-day at "midday" as a one-off for the French GP.

TheVerenzak

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Is it real that the stewards have awarded a time penalty after a DNF? o_O
No no, the time penalty doesn't apply in this case. We don't usually check whether a driver finished or not when making the stewards statement.

• Informative
Reactions: Mali Baćo

defisparta

Pro Karter
Sep 3, 2018
I have a very serious cold (possibly flu) so today I cannot participate. I tried to bring the temperature down with pills, but it did not help.

About bans. I would like to apologize to all who spoiled the race, for inexplicable reasons.
I ******* race start and began to make mistakes when climbing back.

TheVerenzak

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
I have a very serious cold (possibly flu) so today I cannot participate. I tried to bring the temperature down with pills, but it did not help.

About bans. I would like to apologize to all who spoiled the race, for inexplicable reasons.
I ******* race start and began to make mistakes when climbing back.
Hope you get better soon!

Neil Bywater

Premium Member
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2014
????? Black screen, presume I lost the real session, people dropping out left right and centre. Went to desktop then back to game finally came back.

I decided to retire and the race just finished so think I was in my own lobby of 1.

Hope it went well for the rest of you.

Billamy

Formula 3 Test Driver
Dec 7, 2017
Not the best way to start my returning race... In the first lap, i got pushed by someone on the brakes and shunted into @Diallo . Sorry for that man, i tried braking but i couldn't avoid the contact. I let you through later but that still doesnt fix the damage. Sorry.

My personal race went a bit better untill it started raining and my worn softs had less grip than I thought. Good battles with some of you though. Sorry again @Diallo

boxen

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 29, 2017
Tested my new wheel today (first time ever racing on a wheel :ROFLMAO:) and tried recording instead of streaming. People probably noticed my insane lag spikes in the first third of the race had to turn off the recording while in the pits. Went a little better after that but my race was already half ruined at that point. Sorry for causing any collisions I really couldn't do anything, my screen was stuck for a good half second.

xDerpOG

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jun 17, 2016
First of all GG to my team mate @Katrer on the front row start. I though I was going to get pole until you and @Sweatu improved at the last second.

@Frihman I think I owe you an apology. On the first lap I was thrown off my there being no braking board for turn 3 and I ran into the back of you. Also when it started to rain, you half spun at turn 4 and I had nowhere to go and just tried to avoid you but I think I just clipped your front wing with my rear wheel. I'm not too sure what happened after that but I hope it didn't screw you over.

Anyway, the race was interesting. After I had damaged my front wing on the first lap incident, I pitted around lap 4-5 as I started losing a lot of places and decided to change my front wing. Not seeing a cloud in the sky I opted for the soft tires. I had a pretty big recovery drive to do after that and I left the pits in about P17 (I think). Once the rain and everyone started pitting, I felt that I still had another lap on the Soft tires. That didn't change much as the lap times were very similar. Once on the Inters I had quite a bit of pace and managed to catch up to the big group of cars ahead and overtook a few cars but then it started raining heavier. I wen't in for Wets and recovered to P4 but my penalties set me back to P5.

Overall I really enjoyed this race. There were good battles and a lot of overtaking. It certainly leaves me excited for next week.

See you all then :)

Frihman

Formula 4 1st Driver
May 1, 2018
I really enjoyed the dry stint, and my race pace was possibly the best it has ever been, but then came the rain. I was ridiculously far off the pace on the inters and an incident left my chances for points at pretty much 0. My pace on the full wets weren't half bad though.

One of the more unenjoyable races of the season, I really hope that it does not rain again :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: TheVerenzak

cata82

Pro Karter
Sep 8, 2018
I really enjoyed the dry stint, and my race pace was possibly the best it has ever been, but then came the rain. I was ridiculously far off the pace on the inters and an incident left my chances for points at pretty much 0. My pace on the full wets weren't half bad though.

One of the more unenjoyable races of the season, I really hope that it does not rain again :ROFLMAO:
Again, it was me that touched you lightly and spun you when on inters. Am really sorry for that, those tricky conditions were at fault but i guess i deserve also a steward inquiry with the resulting punishment.

Other than that, great race indeed and super fun!

Reactions: Frihman

Mali Baćo

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jun 17, 2018
Not the best result but one of the most interesting races for me. :D

I knew that we were coming on a new track so I have put some time to master it completely, to find the braking points, make a setup that won't cook the tyres and also to see how should I approach the third sector as well. In a few days time, I have managed to put in 135 laps on the track, so I finally had a good feeling on this Le Mans lookalike. The last 10 laps of my practice were on a wet track, to get a feeling just in case.

So then it was time to do qualifying. A quick look at the drivers monitor - rain towards the end of the race. "YEEEES" you could hear me shout on Discord. I knew I will be consistent and in a well balanced car. Being a top 10 contender in qualifying for the last four races (although with P11 in Canada), I expected a top 10 finish here too. My practice runs made me expect my lap to be around 1:30.2-1:30.3 on the ultra compound. Supers were never an option to me.

Leaving the pit lane to warm up the tyres, I was driving really slow because I waited for @djole74 to catch me on the main straight, in order to give him some tow like in China. But my misjudgement meant that I went too early on track and he only caught me at the beginning of S3.

So then I began my flying lap. After taking the sweetest possible racing line in first two turnes, I bottled it at the end of the first sector, going a bit off the track then slowing down to rejoin it. The rest was pretty much okay, but I managed to run out of ERS deployment coming out of the last turn. A time of 1:31.929 is definetely not according to my standards so I will have to redo this run.

On the second outing, I have managed to put a much better time of 1:30.669, but I still had the problem of running out of ERS deployment. This time it was before the last left hander. Seeing some guys on the supersoft tyres ahead and behind me, and knowing the race will be wet, made me reconsider my actions and try the third run on the reds. Going out of the pit lane for the last run, I went out and ruined the hotlap of @Levingston by not knowing where to move. In the end I smashed the 50 metre board. :D

So after a worse run, it meant that I had to settle for P7 and the start on ultra tyre. @Beyond and @boxen in front of me were starting their races on supersoft, so I immediately set them as my targets. Time for a short haiku.

On formation lap
Jeff tells me rain is coming
In fifteen minutes

It's lights out and away we go, and Beyond has an amazing start. Boxen, on the other hands, lags enough to respawn behind me so it's already one down. However, just in the fourth turn he dives on me and makes a bloody sweet move to regain his position. A battle on the main straight left me try to dive on the inside, but he had the better line. I was cautious through the fast right hander and backed off. But then, he lags again in the first turn of lap 2 and I go past.

A battle between Beyond, Dwerg and Derp sent the Red Bull sister car badly off the track and he rejoined just in front of me. I tried diving on the chicane, but made a costly mistake so he was out in the clear air and I had to defend my position. But then again, in the next lap he makes a mistake in the second turn so I got that position as well. P6 for now.

Switching sides helped me pass @xDerpOG on the inside of the last turn and gain P5, although I made him go a bit wider than I should. Sorry for that!

My ultrasoft tyres were worn at the beginning of L5, so Beyond managed to pull a great pass on me on the start-finish straight. Then it was time to defend from Boxen, who was in a fight with @cata82. They both passed me on the back straight. Trying to partake in their battle, I managed to clip my front left wing on the Mercedes car and had to run it in yellow for the rest of the race.

The "rain in 15 minutes" was all but not in 15 minutes. While almost everyone boxed for soft tyres, I took the end of L5 to box for supers and hope rain will start before they get too damaged. I rejoined the track in P17, well ahead of Derp, whom I was battling before the pit, so it was a good job. Plus, he was on the softs so I had the advantage there.

From then on, it was a smooth and uneventful ride until L14, when it began to rain. I was defending from @BlackPanthor so I had to attack @Billamy for the sixth into the chicane. After the chicane, I had a small oversteering moment and saw Jackdaw spin behind me which caused VSC. All that was going through my head was "Holy s**t, I hope I didn't cause it!"

So finally it started to rain and VSC was a good call to pit for inters. Now I knew I had the advantage and I was singing Purple Rain in my head all the time while trying to keep maximum focus. I have lost my place to Blackpanthor because of pitlane, but I was pumped up so I knew I'd regain it. I have passed my old rival @Frihman (revenge for Monaco) to regain P6 and see a group of four cars ahead of me.

On lap 18 I finally passed Boxen for P5 and I was trying hard to keep BlackPanthor in my sight, but he was already a few seconds ahead. In the next lap @Katrer made a mistake and I went past to P4 quite easily. There's only a 5 second gap between me and my first podium now. BlackPanthor and @Dominy are in a duel so I should gain on them easily.

At the end of L21 I didn't manage to close the gap and the rain was getting harder. So I decided to pit to full wets and undercut the guys in front. Haha, suckers!

I got out ahead of Katrer so I knew I was in a good position. At the end of L22 Derp boxed and I hoped I would stay ahead, but no. But wait, why are the front runners not stopping? Their laps are slower by a two or three seconds and the rain is falling hard...

So the rain got lighter two laps prior to the end and I was still running in P6, with quite some margins ahead and behind me. Then it finally came to me that these guys won't stop so I should really try my best and bring it home. Having a 9 second penalty, I had to up my game and make up the gap behind for penalties to apply.

Yeah, P6 is quite nice, but I hoped for a podium when the rain started. The gamble with the inters paid off, but who would have known.

Anyway, it's some worthy points for Toro Rosso as we manage to regain P9 in the constructors. Next week it's our first of three "home" races (others being Monza and Suzuka) and I like Spielberg, so it should be fun.

My video highlights will come out tomorrow afternoon.

To sum it up, another haiku.

It's really wet
I tried to do undercut
It didn't pay off

Cheers and thank you for the good show!

Last edited:

Levingston

Formula 4 1st Driver
Oct 15, 2017
This was another one to forget wow...

Finished P13. Did 4 hotlaps. 2 got invalidated so I had a slow lap for my qualy. I did some okayish battles on the first 5 laps but on lap 1, the yellow front wing ruined my race. I didnt know this track was this downforce dependent. And then I had to survive for 16 laps with the supersofts thinking the rain would come earlier. It didnt. So my left rear was up to something like %80 percent when we reached to lap 16.

So I saw the drops coming down and I was pretty happy as the moment I waited had come. My pace was consistent and fairly fast with my new front wing. I was more confident as I moved to wets. I really think seeing some of you guys finishing on inters til the end was pretty impressive tho. I really hope the whole race was under wet conditions since I am not familiar with the track at all.

Anyway, with the mistake of my teammate at the end, I passed him and with +15 seconds penalties I ended up in P13.

Bad one... Austria I'm coming for you tho!

Congrats to @Sweatu and all the other podium drivers.