PS4 - Round 8 - French Grand Prix - 2nd December 2018 [8:00pm (UK time)] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 Round 8 - French Grand Prix - 2nd December 2018 [8:00pm (UK time)]

Jason007

Premium Member
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2017
Qualy - P18
Race - P15

Pre-Race Interview - Ehhh wasn't sure what to expect going into France. Excited to learn a whole new circuit; Something I haven't done since my first season in AOR during Season 13. More work stuff got in the way of practice time, so I decided to hold back on Qualy and start from the back. Strategy would be risk mitigation.

Qualy - Went out on an installation lap to check the Wheel/Pedals, but didn't set a time. All good, but starting from the back of the grid in P18.

Strategy - France is heavy on the tires, but easy on the fuel. Went with +2.5 fuel and the one-stop strategy; SS > S. Plan was to pick off positions one-by-one, while staying out of trouble. Didn't exactly go according to the plan, however.

LIGHTS OUT! (3:35) - Starting P-Last on the grid I would wait for the chaos that would be the blind Turn 1. Boy did it deliver... simply way too much chaos to describe. By the time I was exiting Turn 7 and heading down the first back-straight I was P13, aiming for a P12.

Lap 1 (4:34) - Down the first back-straight I'm along-side @SEAN-GBR for P12. I brake a bit later than normal and hug the inside line of the chicane, leaving as much racing room as possible. I manage to exit the chicane in P12. Not bad so far.

Lap 2 (6:05) - Again on the back-straight I get a decent entrance and make a run on @Da Eagle for P11. Rich mix and Hotlap ERS. P11 now. 7 positions in 2 laps. I'll take it.

*Goal now is to keep pace with the fronts runners in P10+*

Lap 5 (10:30) - First corner cut warning.

Lap 6 (12:05) - With the front-runners pitting and myself on the longer strategy, up to P6. P18 > P6 in 6 laps isn't bad.

Lap 7 (14:20) - @chris130256 has me down the back-straight with DRS and make a move to the inside into the chicane. He goes a bit late on the brakes and brake early expecting the overtake. However, thru the chicane it looks like he lights up the rears attempting a good exit as I go for a possible switch-back. Chris cuts across the track and takes me along for the ride, including my front-wing. By the time I rejoin the circuit I'm P10 with a busted wing. I can't drive like this. I need to pit.

Lap 7 Continued (15:15) - Exiting the final turn, attempting to enter the pits, I make contact with @MJ7, further damaging my wing. I get a warning and go into the pits. Uggh. Softs to the end (not the best strategy as I learned towards the end of the race). I exit the pits in P16. Uggh.

Lap 9 (19:00) - 3-second penalty. Oh come off it mate!

Lap 12 (22:00) - Some of the mid-fielders pit for their long strategy. I'm sandwiched between @iej76 in P12 and @Salvo Failla in P14.

Lap 12 (24:00) - Exiting the final turn and into the main straight my game suddenly crashes to the PS4 XMB! What the hell!? I quickly re-enter F1 2018 as my AI continues to race. As soon as I rejoin my car I see @Salvo Failla is right behind me. My car suddenly slows as I regain control and I hear a "crunch" of carbon fiber. He broke his wing on me. :(

*I later apologized for the incident in PSN chat. Still have no idea what happened to cause my game to drop to the PS4 XMB. Perhaps the vibration of the wheel base caused a button to press? No idea.*

Lap 15 (28:20) - Exiting the back-straight chicane I get overtaken by @Salvo Failla and @louielouie50. Down to P15.

Lap 22 (39:28) - Another 3 second time-penalty. +6 seconds so far. Uggggggh.

Lap 22 Continued (39:50) - @iej76 makes quick work of me thru the back-straight chicane. No use in fighting. His tires are in much better shape than my 17-lap old tires.

Lap 24 (42:10) - @MJ7 overtakes down the pit-straight. I don't fight. He's on fresh US vs. my now 19-lap old softs. Now I'm thinking of pitting for US and going for the fastest lap...

Lap 25 (44:30) - @iej76 overtakes for P14. He's on much fresher Softs. I don't fight. Race is a lost cause at this point. I can see the front-runners are within pit-distance, so even if I were to stop for US tires, I'd be sandwiched between them. This ruins my fastest lap and ruins their racing. No use. Just continue on and hope for the best.

ACROSS THE LINE! (48:35) - P15. Wow... wow.

Post-Race Interview - Not a good race for sure. Unfortunately being in the wrong place at the wrong time with Chris sort of sealed the deal for this one. Should have swapped to the two-stopper after the incident. Unfortunate, but that's racing.

Congrats to @JimiRäikkönen on your first win!
Congrats to @ramma and @Nick-1054 on rounding out the podium!

ramma

Formula 4 Test Driver
Aug 12, 2018
Quali - 4th
Race - 2nd (keeping up my trend of only getting 2nd if on the podium!)

That race was not at all what I expected honestly. Went into this thinking my pace was way off the mark, and just not feeling comfortable with quite a few of the corners, T5,6 and T12 in particular.

Did my qualifying on the SS's, though I thought enough people were going to set times on US that I tried to go out at the end. Got too caught up checking the session timer and peoples tires that I was too late leaving the garage by about 5 seconds. Either way my plan was a one stop, but if the SS's were as comparable in the race as they were in quali then things were looking up!

The race itself wasn't too eventful for me. I had a poor start losing two positions right away, but kept close gaining one back by T5, then promptly lost it again... Lap 4 though at the chicane Carbon and Limaro had a bit of contact and it seems like the game got confused about the overtakes, so while they played a bit of leapfrog sorting it out I snagged two positions!

From that point I was just focusing on chasing down PPK, which I tried an overcut but came out of the pits right as he passed and now with two cars between us, so the gap hadn't really changed. What did close the gap some though was finally getting DRS on the back straight! After that we were close enough that for a good portion of the race I was just trying to get into his DRS detection zone. I'd get close to if not under the 1 second for DRS at some points, but never through the detection zone. Then I missed a braking zone and the gap got back up to 2-4 seconds and I simply couldn't close it. From then on it was just a matter of managing tires, fuel, battery, and making no mistakes.

Highlights I guess?

JimiRäikkönen

Semi-Pro Karter
Sep 4, 2018
Quali - 4th
Race - 2nd (keeping up my trend of only getting 2nd if on the podium!)

That race was not at all what I expected honestly. Went into this thinking my pace was way off the mark, and just not feeling comfortable with quite a few of the corners, T5,6 and T12 in particular.

Did my qualifying on the SS's, though I thought enough people were going to set times on US that I tried to go out at the end. Got too caught up checking the session timer and peoples tires that I was too late leaving the garage by about 5 seconds. Either way my plan was a one stop, but if the SS's were as comparable in the race as they were in quali then things were looking up!

The race itself wasn't too eventful for me. I had a poor start losing two positions right away, but kept close gaining one back by T5, then promptly lost it again... Lap 4 though at the chicane Carbon and Limaro had a bit of contact and it seems like the game got confused about the overtakes, so while they played a bit of leapfrog sorting it out I snagged two positions!

From that point I was just focusing on chasing down PPK, which I tried an overcut but came out of the pits right as he passed and now with two cars between us, so the gap hadn't really changed. What did close the gap some though was finally getting DRS on the back straight! After that we were close enough that for a good portion of the race I was just trying to get into his DRS detection zone. I'd get close to if not under the 1 second for DRS at some points, but never through the detection zone. Then I missed a braking zone and the gap got back up to 2-4 seconds and I simply couldn't close it. From then on it was just a matter of managing tires, fuel, battery, and making no mistakes.

Highlights I guess?
You were really close catching me! I had a three second penalty too so it was really challenging to keep you over a second behind because I started to struggle on my old softs set :D I really had to give my best shot in the final 10 laps. Nice driving!

• Winner
Reactions: ramma

ramma

Formula 4 Test Driver
Aug 12, 2018
You were really close catching me! I had a three second penalty too so it was really challenging to keep you over a second behind because I started to struggle on my old softs set :D I really had to give my best shot in the final 10 laps. Nice driving!
Same to you!

The last two laps my tires just said nope. I pushed really hard for a few laps before, seeming to close the gap on part of the track, then falling back on others.

Salvo Failla

Formula Karter
Aug 9, 2018
Q: P12
R: P13

Q: The main problem of this race was the lack of speed, and I understood this since the first attempt of the qualifying.

R: I'm sorry but my video starts than the first laps, when I had a contact in turn 1 at the start and I had damaged my front wing.

03:00 Thanks to the strategy of the SuperSoft I take the P5;
00:17 My team mate @Nick-1054 overtakes me;
00:35 @MrRobinhx overtakes me;
00:53 @kingfoemaccassa1, @ramma and @chris130256 overtake me;
01:42 Box! Box! Box!;
02:18 Contact with @Jason007 ;
02:28 I overtake @Jason007 ;
03:00 @HighGround91 overtakes me;
03:14 Ben-Hunt17 overtakes me;
03:27 I overtake Ben-Hunt17.

I'm really disappointed, because in this circuit I've never been fast. Congratulations to the three boys of the podium (y).
See you in Austria ;)

Reactions: iej76

louielouie50

Formula Karter
Sep 13, 2018
Quali P7 - 3rd highest of those on SS, Was hoping for a top 6 finish having had time for some good practice and really finding my rhythm around here.

Race P14 - Half way around the formation lap my wheel has cocked itself up somehow and now the car won't steer properly - pretty much just 50% input. Knowing this I pull to the side to let everyone past at the start, try to fix it in the pause menu and then have to leave and rejoin the session to fix it. Race pretty much over by lap 4.

I rejoin, get a 10sec penalty as my ghost car flies over the chicane due to me not paying attention, but fight up to 11th at races end despite an orange front wing - 14th after the penalty. So, not exactly ideal but enjoyed battling along the way and @Salvo Failla kept me on my toes most of the race by staying within a couple of seconds after I'd overtaken him. Disappointed with the result but hopefully just a one of due to the freak wheel issue.

Reactions: iej76

F1Scotgolf

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Quali P7 - 3rd highest of those on SS, Was hoping for a top 6 finish having had time for some good practice and really finding my rhythm around here.

Race P14 - Half way around the formation lap my wheel has cocked itself up somehow and now the car won't steer properly - pretty much just 50% input. Knowing this I pull to the side to let everyone past at the start, try to fix it in the pause menu and then have to leave and rejoin the session to fix it. Race pretty much over by lap 4.

I rejoin, get a 10sec penalty as my ghost car flies over the chicane due to me not paying attention, but fight up to 11th at races end despite an orange front wing - 14th after the penalty. So, not exactly ideal but enjoyed battling along the way and @Salvo Failla kept me on my toes most of the race by staying within a couple of seconds after I'd overtaken him. Disappointed with the result but hopefully just a one of due to the freak wheel issue.

thrustmaster by anychance

F1Scotgolf

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
How did you guess haha? First issue I've had with it, think I caught something when pressing the share button to record.
seems they are very unpredictable loads of people i use to race with on gt sport had it where the game would pause randomly and wheel would act weird. are you on the latest firmware

should have got the solid g29 not had any issues like this before

MrRobinhx

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 14, 2017
Q: 13th
R: 9th

I don't know what happened at the start, i thought some of the others has jump start and got a bad start with many collision i the first lap. I don't have the pace on this track, but i will be stronger in Austria. Here is my highlight video.