Mar 30, 2018
Round 9 - Austrian Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 16

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 9th December 2018
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Red Bull Ring
Laps: 36

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
-

Vettel_Racer_5

Formula 4 Test Driver
Aug 2, 2016
So guys, my wheel is fixed and I can´t wait to get racing again! Hopefully I´m up to pace just in time, let´s see how much I can relearn after almost a three week brake :unsure:

Tactician109

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 30, 2018
Austria is a fine track but doesn't exactly excite me the same way some other tracks do. My pace is average at best even though this track suits the pad nicely. DRS is going to be a huge factor in the race and it's next to impossible to gain over a second in between the 3 DRS zones. It'll be a game of chess and saving ERS for the most part.

As was discussed in the PSN chat this week, @Sean van Belkom will have his qualifying ban served in today's race.

• What?
Reactions: Sean FAP Belkom

Tactician109

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 30, 2018
NOTE

A timely reminder of the rules regarding pit entry from your very own league admin, considering it's Austria.

Stay within the white line when entering and exiting the pit lane. If you cause a dangerous situation by crossing the pit entrance or exit line, or if this is done in a way that blatantly gains time or track position, you will be penalised.

Tactician109

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 30, 2018
Austrian Abnormality

Qualifying Position: 8th
Finishing Position: 3rd

Virtual Christian Horner and Helmut Marko were about to punch their tables with the Austrian home Grand Prix going the way it did but in the end, a Red Bull on the podium and a Toro Rosso victory is probably better than the Red Bull family could have hoped for. The race was a mixed bag of emotions, drama, action and pure YOY.

As I had been emphasizing the few last races, I was keen to do my best in qualifying this time. Tyre wear wasn't going to be huge issue so it was okay to push flat out both in qualifying and the race. However, once again I sort of bottled qualifying as I was too fast early on and too slow in the lap that mattered.

Having seen the weather forecast for the race, I wanted to start the race on the Soft tyres, hence I wanted to be P11. I went on the Supersofts first but to my disappointment, I was P10 by the time everyone had done a lap. I was hoping that someone would overtake me so I could be P11. I went out as late as possibly could to be the last car on track so I could track the progress and eventually set a faster lap on the Ultrasofts in case no one jumped me.

Turned out that @Casper24-F1 and co had the same idea and decided to abort their laps and thus I couldn't finish outside the top 10. I should have realized earlier than I did as I was not pushing at all on my final lap until the last sector when I figured out I had to improve my time. It was only enough for P8 in the end with plenty of pace in reserves. I couldn't be happy about it but considering everything that happened in the race, it was a very minor setback.

Come race time, I simply wanted to gain as much ground as I could in the early laps so I could place myself in the best position when the conditions would change. That plan was pretty much thrown out the window by the time I exited turn 1 with a slightly damaged front wing. The plan to attack effectively changed to a battle of survival in the first 10 laps.

Thankfully Austria is half DRS, so my front wing damage didn't matter that much. I was able to hold on to P8 but with a change of tyres and a front wing change, I dropped down to P13 in an empty space which meant I couldn't gain any time on the people in front of me. However, as it has been the case this entire season, a comeback drive was in the cards and I simply had to put on the grind.

A lap 19 Safety Car was both a blessing and a curse for me. I was obviously able to gain time on the leaders and pit for a new set of Ultrasofts which meant that I could properly battle for positions on the restart. Codemasters had a different idea though as the game slapped me with a drive-through penalty for reasons unknown to myself. I think the penalty came from speeding under the SC but I honestly can't remember if I had been doing it or not. I forgot to save the video file so I couldn't even appeal if I wanted to.

By the time the Safety Car restart, I had to serve the penalty or else I would be disqualified. That extra journey to the pit lane meant I dropped down to P15 with a lot of ground to cover. At that time, I was pretty sure I wouldn't get any points in the race as there was only 10 laps left to go. Even with the rain coming, I didn't think I could catch the top 10.

The last 10 laps were apparently very frantic in the midfield, however. That, combined with my pace on the Ultrasofts, meant that I was able to catch up with the massive train of cars in front of me in only a few laps. Also, some people miscalculated the conditions a little bit which meant that I was able to gain about 5 positions in a single lap.

Suddenly I was feeling very confident and I had great pace so I was very much in the battle for good points. A podium finish was still way out of reach but good points were all I could ask for after the early race shenanigans.

It was time for variable conditions as the rain started pouring down. Feeling the car in that difficult crossover period is where I almost always do my best work. This time was no exception as I knew exactly when to come in to the pits and put on the Inters. This allowed me to get a jump on a few people and I had climbed to P6 when everyone had pitted. @xTheHEaglex was in front me, maybe slightly struggling with the conditions. I was surging with confidence so I made the move on turn 2.

There were only a few laps to go and I was keen to drive fast as possible because I knew @Sean van Belkom had 6 seconds worth of penalties. I had none, so only thing I had to do was to keep the gap under 6 seconds. I managed to do just that and as @dawidos_1150 also had penalties, I finished P3 with one of the best drives I've ever had.

Just an incredible race, all in all. It was a fantastic feeling to find the flow and the confidence that has been missing from the last few races.

Congrats to the winners once again. The battle for 2nd place in the champioship is unbelievably close at the moment and I'm sure Sean isn't unreachable either. One more race before Xmas break, let's hope it's a banger!

Reactions: Casper24-F1

leefindlay04

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Mar 26, 2018
Qualifying: P3
This was one of my strongest tracks, so I knew I would be in the fight for pole, but I couldn’t quite nail that final lap so I ended up P3 which was still decent.

Race: P2
Probably the craziest race ever, I had poor pace in the first stint, I was driving poorly and I kept falling backwards, I had better pace in the 2nd stint but then the safety car came out so I pitted again for fresh supers which helped me to get up to P4 from P11, then I pitted for inters at the perfect point and ended up finishing P2 :)

Casper24-F1

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Mar 20, 2018
Qualifying Position: P11
I wanted to try and qualify on the SS, but after my first flying lap, I found myself in a comfortable P11. At the end, I went out on the US, to see if I can improve my position. I was 4 tenths up during that lap, but I decided to go into the pitlane and start from P11, with the free tyre choice :)

Finishing Position: P1

So I started on the S and got a great start as always, but I dropped down a few positions, because I'm always very cautious on the opening lap. I had a great battle with @kieranrp and also with @Vettel_Racer_5. It was really fun, so thank you both for that ;). Then on lap 19, the SC came out and I went to the pitlane to pit for fresh SS. I was in P7 at the restart, and with my new tyres, I was able to overtake many cars.
But then the rain arrived, @dawidos_1150 tried the undercut on me with Intermediates, I was struggling in the wet on my slicks. Luckily I came out P1 with a 5 seconds lead to @leefindlay04 after I pitted. Controlled the race from there and won my first ever F2 race! (y)
Congrats to @leefindlay04 for getting his 3rd podium in a row and to @Tactician109 for finishing 3rd after an eventful race for him!

Sean FAP Belkom

S16 AOR PS4 F2 Champion
Jul 4, 2018
So, race reports with the handsome Dutch guy

Quali: very good, p17

Race: 4th, getaway was good after couple i was 14th and it was looking good. Then Couple laps later i was in the points and wanted to push very hard. Everyone pitted early so i had the lead for couple of laps and pitted for softs on lap 14. Came ahead of lee Which was pretty important and i pushed very hard to gain time again. It worked until the SC came, after the restart hell Broke loose. Never saw so many cars going at it for 3 corners. It really hampered cause i wanted to get the podium place. 5 laps couldnt overtake the guys until they made some misstakes but it was too late. Congartz to @Casper24-F1 for his win here (Hopefully his last) Tactician for his podium, and idk who finished 2nd Actually

leefindlay04

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
Mar 26, 2018
So, race reports with the handsome Dutch guy

Quali: very good, p17

Race: 4th, getaway was good after couple i was 14th and it was looking good. Then Couple laps later i was in the points and wanted to push very hard. Everyone pitted early so i had the lead for couple of laps and pitted for softs on lap 14. Came ahead of lee Which was pretty important and i pushed very hard to gain time again. It worked until the SC came, after the restart hell Broke loose. Never saw so many cars going at it for 3 corners. It really hampered cause i wanted to get the podium place. 5 laps couldnt overtake the guys until they made some misstakes but it was too late. Congartz to @Casper24-F1 for his win here (Hopefully his last) Tactician for his podium, and idk who finished 2nd Actually
I got 2nd place ;)

doordos_1150

Kubica Wannabe
Dec 17, 2017
Qualifying Position: P11
I wanted to try and qualify on the SS, but after my first flying lap, I found myself in a comfortable P11. At the end, I went out on the US, to see if I can improve my position. I was 4 tenths up during that lap, but I decided to go into the pitlane and start from P11, with the free tyre choice :)

Finishing Position: P1
So I started on the S and got a great start as always, but I dropped down a few positions, because I'm always very cautious on the opening lap. I had a great battle with @kieranrp and also with @Vettel_Racer_5. It was really fun, so thank you both for that ;). Then on lap 19, the SC came out and I went to the pitlane to pit for fresh SS. I was in P7 at the restart, and with my new tyres, I was able to overtake many cars.
But then the rain arrived, @dawidos_1150 tried the undercut on me with Intermediates, I was struggling in the wet on my slicks. Luckily I came out P1 with a 5 seconds lead to @leefindlay04 after I pitted. Controlled the race from there and won my first ever F2 race! (y)
Congrats to @leefindlay04 for getting his 3rd podium in a row and to @Tactician109 for finishing 3rd after an eventful race for him!
Undercut didn't work due to a phenomenal penalty system implemented by codemasters, if I wouldn't have the stop-go I think I'd jump you, if not it'd be mega tight