Jan 14, 2014
Round 9 - Austrian Grand Prix
AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues - Season 16

Race Information:
Date: Sunday 9th December 2018
Start Time: 8:00pm (UK time)
Circuit: Red Bull Ring
Laps: 36

Please try to be online at least 10 minutes before the start time, and await the lobby invite from the League Coordinator and/or the lobby host. Also please ensure your internet connection is in an optimal state at the time of racing.

Notes:
Rules & regulations: Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the rules & regulations of the leagues. As a driver in our leagues, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

Lobby settings: If you are unsure about the lobby settings that will be used for the race, look here.

No-shows: If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the League Coordinator and leave a post in this thread BEFORE the race takes place. Note the rules of participation here.

Useful Links:
Results & Standings
League Rules
League Information
Race Calendar

Confirmed no-shows:
-

Frihman

Formula 4 1st Driver
May 1, 2018
Probably my favourite track on the calendar, I really hope it doesn't rain :D

Neil Bywater

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2014
My crash to desktop last week was a gigabyte app centre update notification. Thanks gigabyte.

I’ll be hosting again tonight if okay with @TheVerenzak

Reactions: Sweatu

Neil Bywater

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2014
Anyone not already friends on steam please send me a friend request Neil Bywater, only one I think

Billamy

Formula 3 Test Driver
Dec 7, 2017
Lads, there is a difference between racing hard and pushing people out and giving no space. I know you are all eager in lap 1 and stuff, but when you OVERTAKE at least give some SPACE, I got pushed out at least 3 times on the opening lap. Work on being a bit more fair please. Don't push people out so hard, leave some space and for God's sake don't do divebombs in t1! We all saw what happened!

Other than that, my race was bad as it is. The SECOND DRS was enabled mine went offline untill lap 10. I lost 5 places to that. Once my drs came back on, another person was going really slow and holding me up. He broke test me on the final corner (Parked it on the apex, as some would say) and I got a yellow front wing. I went till lap 21 like this, when another person broke early and I got my wing further damaged. Having lost at least 15 seconds off my pace, I went to box onto Supers and change my wing. Of course, as I was driving a boat, I sped on the pit lane (I was going 84kmh and I needed to be on 80..). After boxing, the race settled. My pace was FLYING and had some great battles with @boxen . Then I met the person who broke test me and he held me up while defending, but it was already over to that point.

Anyways, if I exclude people being reckless, it was fun. I'm looking forward to next week! Keep it clean people!

xDerpOG

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jun 17, 2016
Well that was a disaster... I damaged my front wing in the T1 incident after a Toro Rosso got spun out and I had nowhere to go. I pitted soon after and damaged my wing on cold soft tires on the already slippery pit exit. I then pitted again for SS tires and another front wing which meant I was on my own for most of the race. I caught up to my team mate toward the end but that was the best I could do which made it pretty boring for me.

Congrats @Frihman on the win. It looked like a hard fought battle on the mini map lol.

djole74

Pro Karter
Apr 24, 2018
Sorry @xDerpOG , divebomb from one ferrari i think make me almost spin and must brake to stay on track, waiting for video of start race to see what hapend,once more sorry if i ruined your race
It was @Sweatu i saw on @BlackPanthor video

Last edited:

Frihman

Formula 4 1st Driver
May 1, 2018
P1, speechless, my first win in AOR. Quali was perfect, taking pole by 0.003 seconds.

Before the race start, I was so nervous and my heart was beating so fast, I couldn’t compose myself and I made a couple of mistakes during the first lap. Eventually, I was able to compose myself and sat relatively comfortably in P1 for a few laps, until @Sweatu caught up with immense pace. We had a great battle but eventually I yielded. Nearing the end of the race I had some very exciting and fair battles with @DwergC , my most enjoyable battle in AOR as far as I can recall. Dwerg was too quick and passed me. I only had one warning after Dwerg had passed me and I knew that this track is very easy to get penalties on. Therefore, in the hope that the two cars in front had penalties, I did my absolute best to ensure I did not get any penalties for exiting the track. It paid off, and I finished P1 in the end after penalties.

So happy with the race, I knew that I would be strong on this circuit, but I would never even have imagined that I would be taking the win :D

• Winner
Reactions: TheVerenzak

DwergC

Formula Karter
Feb 18, 2018
P1, speechless, my first win in AOR. Quali was perfect, taking pole by 0.003 seconds.

Before the race start, I was so nervous and my heart was beating so fast, I couldn’t compose myself and I made a couple of mistakes during the first lap. Eventually, I was able to compose myself and sat relatively comfortably in P1 for a few laps, until @Sweatu caught up with immense pace. We had a great battle but eventually I yielded. Nearing the end of the race I had some very exciting and fair battles with @DwergC , my most enjoyable battle in AOR as far as I can recall. Dwerg was too quick and passed me. I only had one warning after Dwerg had passed me and I knew that this track is very easy to get penalties on. Therefore, in the hope that the two cars in front had penalties, I did my absolute best to ensure I did not get any penalties for exiting the track. It paid off, and I finished P1 in the end after penalties.

So happy with the race, I knew that I would be strong on this circuit, but I would never even have imagined that I would be taking the win :D
Yeah man, great scrap. Personally I think I could have done it all a bit cleaner, wasn't really that sharp with overtaking today.

Reactions: Frihman

boxen

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 29, 2017
Well this was a race and a half for me..

Had a horrible lap on my last set of ultras in qualy but I didn't really care and went for a second lap which in the end paid of seeing how I got p3. Really tried to get the tyres into the right temperature this race (which I haven't done in past races) in the formation lap. However after an ok start heading into t1 I get taken out by @djole74 presumely missing the breaking point and going straight into me. I'm surprised he didn't mention me in his post half an hour ago.. but alright. I also broke my front wing because of that and had to pit (switched front wing and tyres to softs). Coming out of pits I was about 15 seconds behind the guy infront of me but I kept my cool and did my best. I was trying to make my softs last until the end but it wasn't really going to happen. I pit in lap 25 I think onto Ultras and caught up to @Billamy and @djole74 where I had a really fun fight with @Billamy trying to get past. However as he pointed out @djole74 didn't really seem to know what he was doing and ended up causing @Billamy to lose a bunch of time.

In the end I got p6 with +3 seconds penalty, where the 3 drivers infront of me had a lot more than that.
I'm pretty sad because I could've finished a lot higher if I didn't get taken out.

Mali Baćo

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jun 17, 2018
A big congratulations to @Frihman for taking the pole and the win! Also congrats to the other podium finishers.

In contrast to France and 135 preparation laps, preps for Austria were a bit limited. I was out of town for three days prior to this race, only to return some three hours before the lights go out. However, some 50-ish laps I did on Wed and Thu were good enough to get a good feeling of the track and make a sweet setup for my driving style.

Qualy runs were a bit messy for me. I started by going out on (SS) tyres to feel the track. My first timed lap was the second warm-up lap so of course it was a rubbish one. The real hotlap was invalidated due to track limits so I definetely had to go out again. I lost all my fuel on the track during this run so I did my best to GTFO of the way but I feel that this job could have been done better. Sorry if I blocked anyone.

I managed to put a 1:05.011 on the second outing, this time on (US) tyres. I had purple S1 and S2 so I felt I could make it to the end and get placed nicely, but I f'd it up in the penultimate corner so it was not so good. The third run was inevitable.

However, on the last run with the fresh tyres I was much faster and really quick and confident. But I have turned in too early in the last corner and got the lap invalidated. A real shame because it was a 1:04.583 which would bring me P4 in the qualy.

Being a Top 10 qualifyer for the good amount of past races, I was kind of nervous for making it only to P14. So like many others, I was banging my head whether I should start my race on the Ultra or Super Soft tyre. I felt that Ultra might be a good choice because I was expecting an early carnage and to be prepared to pit for (SS) but the choice in the end was to go for the Supers from the very beginning.

The lights go out and everyone ahead of me has a good start. Then there is carnage in Turn 1 so I managed to hit @Dominy and get an orange front left wing. But I get some free positions and advance from P14 to P11. In Turn 3 everyone braked too early for my taste and there was this giant gap in the middle of the road so I pushed it to overtake Dominy and @djole74, brushing my tyres with @xDerpOG on the exit but a solid P9 on the back straight.

At the beginning of Lap 2, I go wide into the first corner so Dominy has a better run on the straight and manages to get past me quite easily. I pushed hard in Sector 2 and we went wheel to wheel but I decided to pull the plug on that battle because my aero was damaged and the car was understeering.

During the next lap I left the door wide open on the back straight for @DwergC in the other Force India. Then in the clear air I understood that I am not able to gain in front so I decided to go fully defensive and try to, at least, save the position I'm in.

With both Pink Panthers pulling the gap in front, sometimes by a full second, it was time to defend from @Levingston in Lap 6. He dives on me into Turn 4 so I decided to switch sides and got a better exit so I regained the position. Sadly though, he gets an oversteer and gives me a nudge but I had no damage. On the other hand, I saw him get his wing damaged and getting involved in a fight with @E4SY so it meant that I will be safe for a while.

After I saw the gap in front increase by quite a margin and still with some understeer, I decided to pit for Soft tyres and change the wing, at the end of Lap 8. It will mean that I will be on the same rubber for the next 28 laps. Let's do this.

I was out in the fresh air and managing the gap to @boxen. He was slower a few tenths per lap. Catching him was inevitable so I decided to save some rubber and trying to prevent Levingston and Co. from overcutting me. It paid off in Lap 15 after he pitted, because he was behind me by a lot, with some cars in between.

Other drivers were pitting all the time so I had an uneventful ride to P7 whilst trying to drive as good as possible. Tyre wear was strange because I was able to put up a personal best sector in different laps throughout the stint. I was also focusing on the gap to Dominy because I had penalties. He was on newer tyres and gaining on me by few tenths a lap so it was unpredictable in the closing laps. An unlucky spin by @cata82 gave me P6 and I was set to finish the race with 10 points in my pocket.

Seeing Dominy getting inside my three second window on the penultimate lap, I started to drive a bit faster to be safe with the penalties. I had grip, the tyres were not overheating and everything was stable.

Entering the last lap I had a satisfactory margin, and then this happened. My last lap time was 1:51.388s and I managed to drop from P6 to P15.

All in all, quite a boring race to me but with a good inital result. Everything was pretty much smooth before I ran out of luck.

Sorry if I missed out on anyone here. There won't be a highlights video.

Looking forward for a good race in Britain. Have a good week.

Last edited: