PS4 - Round 9 - Austrian Grand Prix - 9th December 2018 [8:00pm (UK time)] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PS4 Round 9 - Austrian Grand Prix - 9th December 2018 [8:00pm (UK time)]

Martin_Robertson

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Qualifying:
Run on SS and I’m blocked at turn 3 by a Mercedes, cheers. Stewards can look at that. Following laps on US see me get invalidated and then run out of fuel. P8

Race:
Problem with qualifying lower down is you end getting caught in stupid tangles. I get yellow damage on left wing first corner, upgraded to red damage at turn 2, and then divebombed again turn 3 to fully damage my wing. I pit for SS to go for 2 stop. Make my way up the field and coming to end of race good points are on the cards as I’m catching cars quickly in front and then I lose it at turn 1 and damage wing again. End of race. End of title challenge. So gutted with how this season is going right now.

Congrats to @Nick-1054 on the win.

Carbon

F1 Multiple Champion
Jul 4, 2016
Qualifying:
Run on SS and I’m blocked at turn 3 by a Mercedes, cheers. Stewards can look at that. Following laps on US see me get invalidated and then run out of fuel. P8

Race:
Problem with qualifying lower down is you end getting caught in stupid tangles. I get yellow damage on left wing first corner, upgraded to red damage at turn 2, and then divebombed again turn 3 to fully damage my wing. I pit for SS to go for 2 stop. Make my way up the field and coming to end of race good points are on the cards as I’m catching cars quickly in front and then I lose it at turn 1 and damage wing again. End of race. End of title challenge. So gutted with how this season is going right now.

Congrats to @Nick-1054 on the win.
Gutted for you man, after my 3 races out I was finding it hard to get the motivation to push through it and practice. The only good thing I took out of it was that me and @ramma can still go for the constructors title. Hope you get back on form soon.

Reactions: Martin_Robertson

Jason007

Premium Member
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2017
Agreed someone must have did it on the formation lap, @Jason007 can you look into this because almost every 100m braking board was taken out by L1.
I'll check some footage and see what might have happened. I do agree that all the convenient boards were gone, including the pit lane. Not sure how hitting that board is possible?

Carbon

F1 Multiple Champion
Jul 4, 2016
I'll check some footage and see what might have happened. I do agree that all the convenient boards were gone, including the pit lane. Not sure how hitting that board is possible?
I think it may have been one of Toro Rosso's that hit the pitlane board. I'll check mt footage.

ramma

Formula 4 Test Driver
Aug 12, 2018
Quali - 3rd
Race - lets pretend that never happened.

Worst bug I've seen yet. My quali tires after 1 hot lap were coming back with 3% front 4% rear wear, so pretty good to start on. As we load in to the race though I see my tires look weird... Probably just a visual glitch. Formation lap starts and oh boy it's slippery. First corner and the left rear doesn't grip one bit, I spin, wave to everyone going by, and am teleported to the grid. Since you can't look at tire info during formation I just had to wait till the start.

Grid forms, the lights come on and go out, we're off. Yet again it's slippery as butts. First corner has to be taken with virtually no speed, dropping from 3rd to 20th before finishing the corner. Then Jeff comes over the radio kindly letting me know the left rear has a puncture. Wait, WHAT?! We've just started, had no contact, my quali tires were in great shape for my strategy. How is there a puncture? Pulling up the MFD panel for tire wear just confirms it. Holy crap my tires somehow started the race at 61% and 62% on the fronts, 80% on rear right, and 100% on rear left with the puncture. That was my race done before turn 1 of the formation lap. Easily my worst race ever, and hopefully it stays as my worst race ever.

Going to report this to Codemasters in hopes they can reproduce it and have it never happen to any one else. Seeing the tire wear panel with those readings at the start of the race, especially after all the practice this week and a solid qualifying, was really hard to process in the moment.

Here's some very short highlights, and I do believe I got fastest lap on the final lap at least? Figured if there was no chance of catching, may as well toss on some US's on and go all out.

Carbon

F1 Multiple Champion
Jul 4, 2016
Quali - 3rd
Race - lets pretend that never happened.

Worst bug I've seen yet. My quali tires after 1 hot lap were coming back with 3% front 4% rear wear, so pretty good to start on. As we load in to the race though I see my tires look weird... Probably just a visual glitch. Formation lap starts and oh boy it's slippery. First corner and the left rear doesn't grip one bit, I spin, wave to everyone going by, and am teleported to the grid. Since you can't look at tire info during formation I just had to wait till the start.

Grid forms, the lights come on and go out, we're off. Yet again it's slippery as butts. First corner has to be taken with virtually no speed, dropping from 3rd to 20th before finishing the corner. Then Jeff comes over the radio kindly letting me know the left rear has a puncture. Wait, WHAT?! We've just started, had no contact, my quali tires were in great shape for my strategy. How is there a puncture? Pulling up the MFD panel for tire wear just confirms it. Holy crap my tires somehow started the race at 61% and 62% on the fronts, 80% on rear right, and 100% on rear left with the puncture. That was my race done before turn 1 of the formation lap. Easily my worst race ever, and hopefully it stays as my worst race ever.

Going to report this to Codemasters in hopes they can reproduce it and have it never happen to any one else. Seeing the tire wear panel with those readings at the start of the race, especially after all the practice this week and a solid qualifying, was really hard to process in the moment.

Here's some very short highlights, and I do believe I got fastest lap on the final lap at least? Figured if there was no chance of catching, may as well toss on some US's on and go all out.

Don't worry dude, McLaren will be back! ;)

F1Scotgolf

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
you may have had the puncture in qually look at the race strat you have no first stint colour

ramma

Formula 4 Test Driver
Aug 12, 2018
you may have had the puncture in qually look at the race strat you have no first stint colour
It would have had to be something the AI did after I finished my laps, which I'm pretty sure nothing it does counts. Looking at the video a bit closer I think the puncture itself actually happens immediate after the start, since the wear jumps from 90% to 100% right away. It's got to be a bug of some sort, cause even getting the fronts to the 60% wear they started at in the maximum 2 laps I did on only one of the US sets just isn't possible while setting times.

Jason007

Premium Member
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2017
Q - 13
R - 9

Pre-Race Interview - Felt very confident going into Austria. Had quite a bit of practice, which shown promise. Even managed some wet practice too. Austria is definitely a track that brings out some good racing. Fast with plenty of over-taking opportunities. Looking forward to it all week!

Qualification (0:00) - Uhh, P13 puzzled me a bit. Quali pace was much slower than expected... or everyone is just that much faster than me. Being P13 gives me free tire choice, but that doesn't matter too much around Austria.

Strategy (5:50) - Going with the simple one-stopper here. US > S. Starting on the US would help me keep up with the pack, as long as I can get thru the Lap 1 chaos. Very heavy fuel due to the sheer speed of the circuit. If a broken wing occurs on Lap 1, I will switch to a two-stopper, US > SS > SS.

Formation Lap (6:45) - Some unexpected chaos exiting Turn 1.

LIGHTS OUT! (8:30) - Good start off the line, but starting on the inside has me worried. Not my preferred place. @chaingang123 gets a very rapid start and squeezes between @xGATECRASHERx and myself. Unfortunately the move and possible desync causes me to bang off the inside wall. Luckily no damage. Heading into Turn 1 I hug the inside line and downshift two gears than normal to make sure I make the corner and don't understeer.

Lap 1 (8:50) - Numerous cars run wide exiting Turn 1, which allows me to take advantage. Up to P9 now. Heading towards Turn 2 I slipstream @Limaro Fipama a bit, then move towards the outside. End up braking a bit later than expected and with no front downforce in the traffic I nearly run into the rear of @Carbon, swinging wide on the outside. Exiting Turn 2 there are some very close proxy arrows so I make my way back on track carefully. However, this is seen as an illegal overtake of @Carbon. I slow to let him by.

Lap 1 Continued (9:15) - After letting @Carbon go by, @Limaro Fipama and @Jari take full advantage of it heading towards Turn 3. @Jari misses his braking point, strikes @Limaro Fipama and possibly into the rear of @Carbon. I just manage to avoid contact, move towards the inside and overtake up into P8.

*Hell of a lap 1*

Lap 2 (10:00) - @Jari catches the slipstream and overtakes on the inside of Turn 1. Got nudged off-track a bit there. Looked like I left enough room. :confused: Down to P9

Lap 3 (11:40) - @Carbon and @Jari start scrapping exiting Turn 3.

Lap 4 (12:45) - I have a look on the inside going into Turn 3 on @Carbon, but decide against it.

Lap 6 (14:50) - @Carbon dive-bombs @Jari into Turn 2 going for an overtake. @Jari leaves room and I attempt to put the traction down and overtake as well. However, the rears light up and I nearly end up in the wall! Lost a lot of time there and need to catch up with the pack again. Uggh.

Lap 10 (20:05) - Managed to close the gap back up to @Jari and @Carbon. @iej76 running the SS tires is closing in as well. Suddenly the MFD pops up with an orange rear wing. DRS failure!! Gahhh!! Running in P7.

Lap 11 (20:45) - @Jari takes the position back from @Carbon thru Turn 2.

Lap 13 (22:45) - Terrible exiting out of the final Turn. With my continued DRS failure and wearing US tires, @iej76 catches up easily. I see the arrow pop up on the inside, ready for the overtake. Thru Turn 1 I overcook and lock my front brakes, running wide. Perhaps @iej76 thought he pushed me wide? He suddenly slows to let me by, but nearly collect him in the process. Phew, that was close! Appreciate letting me by though!

Lap 13 Continued (23:45) - BOX BOX BOX! Time for my one and only stop... hopefully. Some Soft shoes to the end. I exit the pits in P16. Ouch.

Lap 15 (26:00) - A nice scrap with @MrRobinhx. Got my DRS back though.

Lap 16 (26:55) - Heading towards Turn 2, with DRS/Rich/High DRS, I go for the overtake of @MrRobinhx. It was not the cleanest overtake I've ever done, but got it done.

Lap 19 (30:55) - @Wesley3071 makes a solid overtake of me exiting Turn 4. Down to P11 and out of the points.

Lap 30 (43:05) - 3 Second Time Penalty! So close to a clean race!

Lap 30 Continued (43:05) - @chaingang123 takes advantage of my mistake, and with fresh SS tires, easily takes care of me into Turn 2. Down to P10. Just need to defend my position at this point and let the penalties take care of the rest.

ACROSS THE LINE! (51:00) - After penalties applied it's a P9! Not bad, I'll take it.

Post-Race Interview - Overall I'd say that was a good race. Only made one real mistake when I nearly lost it exiting Turn 2. Was hoping for a clean race, but got that single 3-Second penalty. Oh well. P13 to P9 works for me. Onto Silverstone, then the long winter break.

Congrats to @Nick-1054 on another win!
Congrats to @JimiRäikkönen and @chris130256 on rounding out the podium!

iej76

F1 Test Driver
Oct 15, 2015
Hi Jason. I was told to let you past by the game. Was an illegal overtake as I cut the first corner. Happy to do so

Martin_Robertson

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Just watched your video @Jason007 and wow... Awful by some. Bane going for a gap that wasn't there between me and you. @Limaro Fipama id be really annoyed with that dive bomb at turn 3. Quite clearly shows on vid taking you out
I’d take him to stewards for it if I hadn’t forgot to record it. Driving first 3 corners was ridiculous by some.

F1Scotgolf

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
driving the full race was some idiotic moves by some drivers. dive bombs galore i got punted wide on more than one occasion. @Limaro Fipama dont watch my stream i had a little giggle when you binned it on turn 1

Martin_Robertson

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
driving the full race was some idiotic moves by some drivers. dive bombs galore i got punted wide on more than one occasion. @Limaro Fipama dont watch my stream i had a little giggle when you binned it on turn 1
And I thought we were friends! I’d have a laughed at you too pal don’t worry :ROFLMAO: You were annoying me when you wouldn’t just get out of me aswell so when I span off and saw you go past I thought you’d have a smile on your face.

Reactions: F1Scotgolf

MrRobinhx

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Sep 14, 2017
Q: 19th
R: 19th

This is a bad race for me. I don't have the pace on this curcuit. In lap 2 @JimiRäikkönen crash into me in turn 1 and lost some positions. I hope i can do a comeback on Silverstone.

Salvo Failla

Formula Karter
Aug 9, 2018
Q : P10
R : P13

Q:
Three attempts very consistent. During the third sector of the last attempt I found a Force India in front of me while I was improving my time of 0.5 s, so I had to restart the lap with worn tires, and at the end I did a good P10.
R:

-00:03: Start of the race;
-00:53: @F1Scotgolf overtakes me;
-01:05: Box;
-01:23: Battle with @iej76 ;
-01:51: @MrBane12345 and @Dani0uk overtake me;
-02:21: Box;
-02:42: I overtake @Dani0uk ;
-02:53: I overtake @iej76 ;
-03:18: End of the race.

Last 3 races without points have made in me some preoccupation, so in the main part of the race (the first lap) I am very very prudent, but not the good prudence, but an excessive prudence that damages my race.
I hope that in the next gp I can do a regular and consistent race, like the first part of the season.

Congratulations @Nick-1054 ;)