Rule Clarification Request: Qualy Times | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Rule Clarification Request: Qualy Times

causa45

Premium Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2019
Hi guys,
yesterday, I was unsure about the rule regarding qualy times. The situation was as follows: A Pro/AM driver started their qualy lap when the timer was 16:xx and finished it when the timer was 18:xx. I was under the impression that you must have finished your lap before the start of the 18th minute, and if you can't, that you have to cancel the respective lap and teleport back to the pits; at least that is what the graphic in my enclosed screenshot is telling me. Can anybody clarify? Is is possible to finish your lap when the timer starts minute 18? Thanks for the clarification.
Best Regards
Steve

1582031262451.png

Niclas Domino

iRacing Overlay Designer & AC Skin Creator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jul 31, 2016
You have to start the Last lap before minute 17:00

causa45

Premium Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2019
So there is no rule on when to finish the lap, then? I think the graphic should be adjusted, then as it can be confusing. "Finishing Laps Only" takes up only one minute in the graphic, implying that the lap needs to be finished before the start of minute 18.

• Agree
Reactions: Bucefal

Marvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 6, 2016
You're allowed to finish the lap if you started it before minute 17 as Niclas already explained. I can see how this is unclear from the picture, so we might adjust that. Although, the rule does explain this properly:

Drivers may finish a lap if they started it in their allocated timing, but once the lap is completed they must immediately return to the pit-lane by holding escape, not driving in for an in-lap.

Merlin Cooper

GP2 Reserve Driver
Nov 2, 2017
So there is no rule on when to finish the lap, then? I think the graphic should be adjusted, then as it can be confusing. "Finishing Laps Only" takes up only one minute in the graphic, implying that the lap needs to be finished before the start of minute 18.
Wouldn't that be only of interest if the driver on his last fastlap is slower than the next class on their outlap? Although there are some alien-drivers around I don't think that they are going full speed in their outlap.

Having said that there are tracks where it can happen that you cross the start/finish line in time and find the next class cars on their outlap ahead of you (happened to me in Suzuka). But that's bad luck - or wrong strategy ;-)