S4: AOR iRacing GTE - Round 5 - Le Belle Isle. | ApexOnlineRacing.com

S4: AOR iRacing GTE - Round 5 - Le Belle Isle.

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014

AOR iRacing GTE League - Season 4
Round 5: Detroit Belle Isle

Well, I'm afraid to start this by saying that iRacing have made a mistake. A truly, terrible mistake. I searched for Belle Isle. It appears that it's a popular tourist destination in France. Off the coast of the Gulf of Morbihan.

For those who enjoy boredom for your free time, there's a quaint fishing village in Belle Isle's second largest town. There you're likely to find lobsters and langoustines.

If history is your thing, there's a famous fort. Pointe des Poulains. It has a fancy solar powered lighthouse.

Music buffs, don't think you're left out, in recent years, Belle Isle has hosted the Festival Lyrique en Mer, an intentionally renowned festival featuring some of the worl's best emerging singers... apparently.

My point is, when I load this on iRacing, rather than a beautiful French island, with long coasts, picturesque views perfect for a postcard to your pals, and some petite French roads on which I could drive my Ferrari. Instead, it's an incredibly bumpy, incredibly narrow, American car park, retail park, or service roads. I guess we've announced it now, so we can't really do much else but give it a go.

Seriously though. This track is tough. It's tough for everyone. Don't just not turn up because it's hard. It's a first for the series and it'd be great to have a nice grid. Just take it steady is all you have to do.

Detroit.png

Information:
Date:
15th of October 2018

Time:
19:15 BST - Practice 20 minutes
19:35 BST - 20 minutes open qualifying
19:57 BST - Race 1h 20 minutes

Remember to let us know in advance in this thread if you are unable to attend the race! Or you just not miss the race and instead you could race.

Track: Detroit Grand Prix at Belle Isle
Layout: Belle Isle
Time of Day: Late Afternoon
Weather: Dynamic - Carried over from practice

Absences: @BaBaBoye @Meireloso @mike66187 @FisiFan91

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SmokingPuppy841

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Never ever driven here. I usually like street circuits and have no fear of walls as the Hoff tends to tear em down for us Germans. This will be interesting!

AOR Midg3t

1x iRacing Endurance League Champion
Jan 14, 2014
i did the inaugural FR2.0 race around here...this is how it went...fun time i might add

luckily though, some other GT nutters have already painted us a picture of how monday evening/night will go

Reactions: Jukks and Stephan

Stephan

Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
So, How is your practice going?
Untitled.png

Reactions: Stevie

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
I did a few laps tonight. Man this track is tough. I know where I'm going now at least. Got down to 26s,

Just when I was getting into a rhythm around here, I go half-pace car and rather than spinning at turn 2, I got a wobble over the bump and stuffed it into the wall and ruined the right hand side of my car.

I'm really looking forward to this. It's a proper challenge.

AND THE LOCK UPS OH MY GOD

Reactions: Stephan

Richtofen

Formula 3 Test Driver
Dec 22, 2016
Managed 35 laps last night and about 300 of them involved locking into that right-hander and punting it into the wall. Quite a fun track though when you get a good lap in and I'm starting to find a wee bit of pace again. The technicality of the circuit helps me a lot.

Reactions: Stevie and Stephan

AOR Midg3t

1x iRacing Endurance League Champion
Jan 14, 2014
if i can nail the lap i can get a mid 25 in quali trim and 27s in the race, aim of the game is to just stay out of the barriers

Reactions: Stevie and Stephan

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Something to note. You grid up at the mini-straight before the second to last corner, it's really no time at all so make sure you're watching what you're doing and absolutely no leaving a gap.

I just did an official race. Start was clean as far as I could see. Honestly, I enjoy driving this track. It's the same thing with driving Monaco. It's stupid, it makes no sense, but it's fun to do. Pushing but one-major lock up, one over-steer moment, one understeer moment, one mid-corner wobble could be the end of it, it's exciting.

There are definitely places to overtake if you're capable at that kind of thing. After my stop I spent the rest of the race tucked under the wonky rear wing of the guy ahead. Super fun putting pressure on him. Managed a couple of attempts to pass but couldn't quite do it.

From that race, racing here is also like racing at Monaco. The excitement doesn't come from lap after lap switching positions, it comes from the tension, the "there could be a pass any second, they're so close!" Which usually results in no pass, but it was fun anyway

Reactions: Richtofen

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Also I suspect a lot of bonus points for clean races here. Mainly because I've not managed to get an off-track. Mainly because you die.

Stephan

Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
I don’t expect to finish here. This track hates me. That one clean lap I did today was a 1:27.5 with half a tank on a 28C track.

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
From the joy of yesterdays race. This morning's went a little less well. Started 11th. First lap was clean. Lap 2, I see the guy ahead of me bounce off the wall coming onto the back straight, "You know, my pace might not be great, but it's managed, and I know if I do the pace I can do, I'm not going to crash because I'm not scared the car will do anything unpredictable"

The right hander following that straight, I clipped the wall ever so slightly... that's 3 minutes of optional repairs. I wait, I go back and some melon whose car is crabbing decided he isn't coming in to fix his damage, he bounces off walls in pretty much every corner in that in-field stadium section only to stack it in front of me and kills me again.

Stephan

Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
1:26.7 - but mostly 27s with race fuel. getting the hang of it! wall contact now only every 10 or so laps :p

mike66187

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 11, 2018
I wont be available to race, ill be enjoying my holiday then :). back for next week tho

• Informative

Stephan

Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Got good practice, I feel its nmow less likely I get DSQ'd ;)
Qualified 7th, got caught in a huge L2 pile up but still recovered to P4 from somewhere back in the field

was super fun

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
Look at that cool guy with the flame paintjob.

Bet he's got the real-life race suit too

• Agree