S6: AOR iRacing GTE - Round 5 - Watkins Glen | ApexOnlineRacing.com

S6: AOR iRacing GTE - Round 5 - Watkins Glen

• ANNOUNCEMENT: The AOR iRacing leagues are back for another season! Sign-ups now open:
    AOR GTE League Season 7 - LINK
    AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 3 - LINK

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016

AOR iRacing GTE League - Season 6
Round 5 - Watkins Glen

Information:
Date: 15/04

In-sim Time/Date settings:

Date: 15/04
Practice will begin at: 1400
Qualifying will begin at: 1530
Race will start at: 1600
Speed progression: x1.
Weather: Generated.

Time:
18:15 GMT +1- Practice 1 hour 20 minutes
19:35 GMT +1 - 20 minutes open qualifying
19:57 GMT +1 - Race 1h 20 minutes

Track: Watkins Glen
Layout: Classic Boot

Absences:
@McPhilen
@mzeleni8
@Corbs
@HCR Bellmond
@Gxbbs
@Jake_Towns

Reserves Racing:
@Paulo Martins
@boofon
@djawadkaroni
@joshualuke1993
@poisike78
@DeuxMilles

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
I hope everybody notices the absence of the bus stop in this layout :)

I will miss it, I really enjoy this bus stop over others. Still, not having it will be good for me. I usually lose half a second in that bus stop.

I'm a bit scared of turn 1, as track limits don't apply and I feel there's a big gap in cornering speed in that turn from Pro to AM and between drivers who attempt to use the track marked by white lines and curbs and drivers using what iRacing deems acceptable for NASCAR and others who don't corner.

Reactions: VSR Davidben

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014
Fun unfortunately is not allowed.

• Agree
Reactions: Stephan

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
Genuinly like that track but always been slow here. My worst result of last season (without noticeable incident)... Will another "typically Godefroy situation" (@Stevie quote) help me? :p

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014
To 'Typically Godefroy', you have to firstly appear to not have the pace of your championship rivals. Then what you do, is sneak your way ahead of all your rivals through pit-stops or skills.

I don't know how you did it. You were behind a group of like 6 Pro/Am guys by some way, then you slowly worked you way up toward Fisi. And then outta nowhere you've jumped all of them and are into P2 in class.

• Agree
Reactions: Marvin

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
Well I'm the first not really knowing how this happened. I think being cautious when the situation required it and waiting for my time to come was the first and crucial step. Allowed me to save fuel while staying safe. Then, when the way cleared, gained back on drivers who kept fighting for position. Finally, did that extra lap for shorter pitstop while some drivers droped their car I guess, and tadaaaa, here I was.
More than happy of that final result believe me, that was unexpected.

Merlin Cooper

Premium Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2017
If I recall right we had last year a big incident in lap one caused by a car leaving the track in turn1 and causing a collision by rejoining the track afterwards. Clear advise from the stewards whether pavement outside is considered part of the track or not would be appreciated.

If the track is considered to be just between the white lines clear directions to drviers how to rejoin after leaving the track, especially in the first lap of the race, should be given.

Sorry for being fussy on that - but everything to avoid another pile up at the beginning is appreciated from my side.

McPhilen

iRacing Coordinator
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
95% sure I'm not going to be here for this one, so give my space to someone who can do it :)

• Informative
Reactions: Stevie

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014
If I recall right we had last year a big incident in lap one caused by a car leaving the track in turn1 and causing a collision by rejoining the track afterwards. Clear advise from the stewards whether pavement outside is considered part of the track or not would be appreciated.

If the track is considered to be just between the white lines clear directions to drviers how to rejoin after leaving the track, especially in the first lap of the race, should be given.

Sorry for being fussy on that - but everything to avoid another pile up at the beginning is appreciated from my side.
The outside of turn 1 is considered part of the track as far as iRacing is concerned, therefore it is part of the track. However I will say this. The driver who caused the pile-up last season for rejoining the track as he did, got a qualifying ban. So expect anybody who does the same to get the same if not worse.

Whilst it is considered the track, it is far harder to spot a gap to rejoin if you're wide and you're also literally running out of road the moment you go out there. So I'd recommend not going out there at all, but sometimes you need to if you're left no space at the apex of t1, or you're avoiding someone else's mistake or making your own. You can go out there, but you're at a significant disadvantage the moment you do, specifically on lap 1.

Reactions: Merlin Cooper

mzeleni8

Pro Karter
Nov 9, 2016
I see I'm not in the list of abscentees, I'll quote myself from the Suzuka thread:

"I planned on racing next week but something came up.. I need to step in for a colleague next monday for a night shift, sorry guys but it was not my call.
See you in Sebring!"

• Informative

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014
I see I'm not in the list of abscentees, I'll quote myself from the Suzuka thread:

"I planned on racing next week but something came up.. I need to step in for a colleague next monday for a night shift, sorry guys but it was not my call.
See you in Sebring!"
Always remind us if you can in the actual race thread. We'd have stumbled on it eventually, but it's better if you can let us know each week rather than in advance.

Reactions: mzeleni8

AOR Midg3t

1x iRacing Endurance League Champion
Jan 14, 2014

i think i remember i went...under...that accident

Gibson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2018
Hello
I will not be with you for this race, I forgot that I went on vacation.:rolleyes:
My wife is happy... :love:
i wish you a very good race
VEC Power (y)

• Informative