Season 9 Round 8 - Austrian Grand Prix | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Season 9 Round 8 - Austrian Grand Prix

Microlander

Premium Member
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2014
few points to make 1. my driving was **** 2. my pace was **** 3. my pc is **** 4. my pad is **** 5. fps lagg is **** & thats my championship hopes over due to this stupid fps and my driving today. my fellow pad user scotch did better than me. that proves how crap is was today.

AJ

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Another fun race

Got my highest qualifying so far in 5th, happy with that.

Race got sidepod glitched into t2 and dropped down to 8th, managed to get back to 6th shortly after, then it was all about chasing down MadMouse and managed to in last stint and had some great wheel to wheel racing and managed to take 5th with few laps remaining.

Great race MadMouse that was really fun, nice, clean racing :)

Will update results soon.

matt785shimmy

Reigning AOR PC Split 3 Champion
Jan 15, 2014
Whereas micro lander was just ****, I was bored shitless. A battle for 2 corners with iBlue, which I won :D, resulted in him getting passed the next lap. I was on my own then, behind the lead two, although not losing too much time. Throughout the pit stops I lost time, and the tyres went off drastically at the end. That lost me any chance of a higher podium, and if I hadn't locked up into turn 4, I would have kept 3rd. But I lost it to chicane, and 4th was the result. Decent enough after next to no practice. Britain next, WooHoo! I am actually going to practice as I want to win this one.

Chicane

F1 Reserve Driver
Feb 2, 2014
Good race for me. Quali was faster than my previous pb. Looked like top 3 was out of reach, so I targeted P4. aMadhouse followed me around 1-3 seconds until lap 23. He grabbed another set of primes. I went for the options in lap 24 and only just stayed ahead when I came back on track. Crucial moment because in the end I passed matt who was on very worn tyres. Happy to finally have a podium again, even though it needed this track that helps wheel users. Targeting another podium in Germany :D

Reactions: Levis

Levis

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Oct 28, 2014
Whew.. :nailbiting:

I practiced immense amount for this race. I would say 10-8 hours. I had an exel sheet from multiple race simulations to track down the best strategy and everything. I also practiced couple of races with @iBlue and he was so damn quick so I knew I had to find more pace.

I was pretty pleased with quali. Got in a good banker lap with pretty lousy 3rd sector. So I improved a bit and got one more pole to add to my record :cigar:.

Race start was pretty decent, matt got a better launch but didn't go for the inside at the first corner. Thank you matt for not executing your mastermind plan <3. First stint was pretty damn good. I managed to keep a small gap without matt reaching DRS zone. Matt and Iblue proceeded to fight a little bit so I got away. Pitted couple of laps later than these guys and with fresher primes I managed to increase the gap even more. Pitted for options and had a bit of a gap and fresher tyres so I didn't push 100%. Super super delighted that practice paid off, but got to give credit to @matt785shimmy for being that quick without much practice, super talented driver. Also Iblue had very very good pace and didn't give me much if any breathing room.

Also had accident with james when entering the pit I need to check that again but wasn't very pleased with that. Also very glad to see Chicane on 3rd and AJ in 5th GJ guys (y). I hope I can keep near the top at Silverstone, also one of my favorite tracks.

Probably starting to edit the video now so it should be up in the morning. Cya at Silverstone :sneaky:.

scotchtape20

F1 Coordinator
Staff member
F1 Coordinator
Premium Member
Jan 26, 2014
Ok race I guess... I thought I would have issues with the first corner (#padheaven) but I realized in quali that it was in fact the last sector that doomed me: no matter what I did, I lost 0.5 sec on that small sector alone on EVERY. LAP...., quali or race speaking. I don't know if it was the pad can't turn right enough on the second to last corner or the last one and I had to brake more than the others or something, but every gain I had on the lap from the others around me, I lost it all on that sector... Bit frustrating if you do some math and realize I would be EIGHTEEN SECONDS forward than where I finished, which would have put me in 7th.

Speaking of which, starting from 8th, I had a decent start, holding off both Multi and AJ, until AJ passed me and I lost contact to him (aka DRS range) and he was just gone... I soon realized my tyres couldn't last long, so I went for the 3-stop strategy (o-p-o-o) and drive as fast as I could to make up for the extra pitstop... but since the last sector was dooming me every lap, I couldn't keep the 7th place I had all race and finally finished 9th (even though I gained 3 seconds from Dommy on the last lap alone, but he and Multi were too far away for me to catch up).

I just want to note that... Micro, you were 13th, last and a lap down, you shouldn't have tried to overtake me as I was 7th, nearly lost it in the gravel because of that. I understand you had a bad race, but others are trying to make the best of what they can do, and crashing out your car because you're last is not up to the AOR standards, everyone has a bad race at some point, you just have to live through it and finish it like the great racer that you are. Stay strong!

Microlander

Premium Member
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2014
Ok race I guess... I thought I would have issues with the first corner (#padheaven) but I realized in quali that it was in fact the last sector that doomed me: no matter what I did, I lost 0.5 sec on that small sector alone on EVERY. LAP...., quali or race speaking. I don't know if it was the pad can't turn right enough on the second to last corner or the last one and I had to brake more than the others or something, but every gain I had on the lap from the others around me, I lost it all on that sector... Bit frustrating if you do some math and realize I would be EIGHTEEN SECONDS forward than where I finished, which would have put me in 7th.

Speaking of which, starting from 8th, I had a decent start, holding off both Multi and AJ, until AJ passed me and I lost contact to him (aka DRS range) and he was just gone... I soon realized my tyres couldn't last long, so I went for the 3-stop strategy (o-p-o-o) and drive as fast as I could to make up for the extra pitstop... but since the last sector was dooming me every lap, I couldn't keep the 7th place I had all race and finally finished 9th (even though I gained 3 seconds from Dommy on the last lap alone, but he and Multi were too far away for me to catch up).

I just want to note that... Micro, you were 13th, last and a lap down, you shouldn't have tried to overtake me as I was 7th, nearly lost it in the gravel because of that. I understand you had a bad race, but others are trying to make the best of what they can do, and crashing out your car because you're last is not up to the AOR standards, everyone has a bad race at some point, you just have to live through it and finish it like the great racer that you are. Stay strong!
I was pushing the car too hard and all i wanted was some racing. also i think ive had quite a few bad races now so im gonna be praticing like mad for my home GP ;) even though S2 is wheel heaven

matt785shimmy

Jan 15, 2014
I was pushing the car too hard and all i wanted was some racing. also i think ive had quite a few bad races now so im gonna be praticing like mad for my home GP ;) even though S2 is wheel heaven
Britain, wheel heaven?!?!?! Are you taking the p1ss :D

DommyG

Pro Karter
Sep 20, 2014
Welll.....8th....oh wellll....had some fun racing with multi though. after my final pitstop I really couldn't get the options to work well for me, like literally I was still driving prime pace and I don't know why :/. I just couldn't push on them :(. Either way still got some points so no complaints, especially when my pace was so **** poor haha. I am not looking forward to the next race. The new GB track layout is shockingly bad. I wish they had never changed it from the classic layout...but oh well. i'll just make sure to practice more for this one!! haha. congrats to moi team mate on another dominant victory though (y)

Microlander

Premium Member
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2014
Britain, wheel heaven?!?!?! Are you taking the p1ss :D
How am i, look at the track and say theres no fast corners in s2, then notice that the pad had awful turnin so we cant take some corners flat out with out cutting but on the wheel you guys have full lock when ever but we only have it on first gear and thats still slow. i know what im saying. also can you tell me where its good for the pad :) so i feel better since i was watching peoples Austria footage and you guys have just as much grip as i have so either my pad is weird or my 20fps affects stuff also too the rest of you can you stop accusing me that i use a pad. i may have an advantage but the advantage i have is pretty small vs other pad users. ;)

matt785shimmy

Jan 15, 2014
How am i, look at the track and say theres no fast corners in s2, then notice that the pad had awful turnin so we cant take some corners flat out with out cutting but on the wheel you guys have full lock when ever but we only have it on first gear and thats still slow. i know what im saying. also can you tell me where its good for the pad :) so i feel better since i was watching peoples Austria footage and you guys have just as much grip as i have so either my pad is weird or my 20fps affects stuff also too the rest of you can you stop accusing me that i use a pad. i may have an advantage but the advantage i have is pretty small vs other pad users. ;)
My understanding is that, other wheel users like me, don't use full lock other than in hairpin turns, it's terrible for the tyres. And on a pad it automatically stops turning at the correct amount of lock for that corner. And with the circuit being as it is, advantage PAD

Microlander

Premium Member
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2014
My understanding is that, other wheel users like me, don't use full lock other than in hairpin turns, it's terrible for the tires. And on a pad it automatically stops turning at the correct amount of lock for that corner. And with the circuit being as it is, advantage PAD
No its horrible. i dont want to use automatic steering or stuff like that, im used to simulator games where you can turn the wheel 180 degrees on the pad but on f1 2014 you very rarely are able to, the first corner the wheel turns about 30 degrees to the right so really i have to lift of the power during the race just to get around the corner or i can take it flat by turning in way early and cutting the corner and putting others at risk. but this track is more even out than most tracks i find. im still around 0.5 slower than doomy and i say thats because hes probably a better driver than me so im aiming for 100+ laps of practice and gonna do ecel sheets and everything and ive already recorded a few hotlaps so i can compare and see where im losing/gaining time also im gonna install that telemetry mod to help me find the right setup and stuff.

Reactions: Levis

Levis

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Oct 28, 2014
I agree with both of you. And micro did mention only that s2 is wheel heaven where it is actually faster than a pad on copse,maggots,becketts and maybe even in stowe. But there are still 70% of the track left after these corners. 1st sector, the beginning of the 2nd sector and the 3rd sector benefit pad users since these sectors are pretty big on good traction. But I think we have had more than enough of the pad vs the wheel discussion. I just hate that codemasters haven't made the playing field equal or at least somewhat equal in all corners :(. "Don't hate the player hate the game" ;).

Awesome if I can race against micro on Silverstone (no doubt). We had the best battles in China practice :stig:(y)

Reactions: Microlander

aMadMouse

Formula 3 Reserve Driver
May 6, 2014
I enjoyed this race more than I expected, had to really push to fend off @AJ and it was a fun battle. Look forward to some more fights like that in the season.

Reactions: AJ

Microlander

Premium Member
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2014
I agree with both of you. And micro did mention only that s2 is wheel heaven where it is actually faster than a pad on copse,maggots,becketts and maybe even in stowe. But there are still 70% of the track left after these corners. 1st sector, the beginning of the 2nd sector and the 3rd sector benefit pad users since these sectors are pretty big on good traction. But I think we have had more than enough of the pad vs the wheel discussion. I just hate that codemasters haven't made the playing field equal or at least somewhat equal in all corners :(. "Don't hate the player hate the game" ;).

Awesome if I can race against micro on Silverstone (no doubt). We had the best battles in China practice :stig:(y)
Yeah our battle was amazing! we were side by side through S1 all the time and i love awesome racing like that! i hope i can keep up with you in silverstone if i even have the pace;)