Series suggestion for Season 4 | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Series suggestion for Season 4

Would you be interested in a single seater season like this?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Hello all, now I know season 3 isn't over yet however after putting a fair few hours in over the last week I can finally put forward my suggestion/idea series for season 4, now the co-ords (@Delaney @BL99DY-NINE @Hasnain) may already have plans in the works for season 4 but I want to at least put this out there so that there is another option/choice for the future.

Right I'm looking for our community to take a step in a new/different direction as we've covered Gr.2 & 3's for the opening 2 seasons and season 3 currently as you know is Gr.1 to Gr.4, surely its time to try a single seater series and I think the best car to do this is without doubt the Red Bull X2014 Junior. (not the standard version)

At 246BHP and weighing just 550kg this car should provide good and close racing (top speed reached normally 155-160mph), I've already have done a reasonable amount of testing with this car at various tracks and have come up with pretty much everything for the format, rules, settings and calendar for use in a season.

Now if your already dismissing this then all I urge you to do is at least try (test) this car at one of the tracks from the calendar below using the main rules (tyre selection, fuel consumption & tyre wear also below) and give it 10-15 minutes of reasonable effort, if you still feel the same afterwards then fair enough, but if you change your mind then please comeback here and read the rest of this message.

Ok starting with the main format:
Now after competing in both season 1 & 2 I have to admit I enjoyed the 40 min feature and 20 min sprint format in S2, more then the single 60 minute races in S1, so with that in mind I feel a feature and sprint race format should once again be used for this series but I have gone with a bit of a tweak:
firstly a 10 minute qualifying session, then a 30 minute feature and followed by a 15 minute sprint (with reverse grid)
The reason for less time being used, quite simple really so that if some people are a bit tight on time then a league night being just around an hour long could be more appealing, also with only 15 minutes for the sprint with a reverse grid will hopefully increase the chances of more people in the league being able to win races.
Lastly there will be one drop week/round - I feel this is necessary and fair for all due to the length of the calendar.

Calendar:
One of my main issues in the past has been what I felt was a lack of rounds, however as I was selecting my calendar I realised how little choice there actually really is but another problem was finding tracks that would offer enough challenge and variation for the car throughout the season, but I feel I've been able to do this and provide something for everybody with this 9 round calendar:

1. Red Bull Ring (full)
2. Nurburgring GP
3. Monza
4. Barcelona
5. Blue Moon Bay Speedway*
6. Tsukuba
7. Suzuka GP
8. Interlagos
9. Fuji GP

(Rounds 1 - 4 European races, Rounds 5 - 9 Rest of the world)
I did try various original circuits, but I discovered the real world tracks should provide the best racing and overtaking opportunities for everyone involved, and before people throw there toys out there pram at seeing an Oval (round 5) included.
I'll make this clear now, this round only will feature a slight tweak to the standard rules of the season with the aim to allow the closest racing and battling possible for everyone, not just those who are experienced with ovals (like myself) but to complete novices as well, I will explain the Oval round (5) separately in the rules below.

Rules:
Firstly since BoP is impossible to enforce but its the same car for everyone, BHP will be set at max 246BHP (Rounds 1-4, 6-9) and tuning (ie: setups) will be prohibited/locked, this will basically be following the same main settings as other seasons.

(Some of the next numbers I will mention will likely make you jump out of your seat in shock, but believe me these are not that extreme for the X2014 Jr. and are actually necessary.)
Ok now when I started out planning this I wanted to make it so that feature race would have 1 stop but to my surprise this car was very efficient with not just fuel economy but its tyres as well, so after trying out a fair few settings I believe this is the best settings for this car for all rounds (apart for round 5):
Fuel Consumption x10
Tyre Wear x12
Tyre Selection: Supersoft or Soft
(all races barring round 5)

Of course I know those numbers look ridiculous but I can tell you now with x10 fuel, that should last for around an average 18-20 minutes of racing and as for tyre wear and only allowing Supersofts or softs to be used, x12 on supersofts will not wear completely out on a full stint and that is the truth, sure you might be struggling for a little bit towards the end of a stint but that's where the option of the soft tyre comes in.
This car on supersofts/softs will be fairly forgiving in general (of course if you drive like a lunatic you will be penalised, ie spin out) but this combo of tyre's & wear offers all drivers a fair challenge.

Now with round 5 at Blue Moon Bay Speedway the rules that will be tweaked are this:
BHP will be limited to a max 197 - that's 80%, the lowest power level in settings
Tyre wear will be x4 and only the Supersoft tyre will be used. (fuel stays x10)

Qualifying for the feature race will be different and TBC - Considering either 1 lap solo qualy or reverse championship order

Again I've done decent amount testing and these settings will provide some incredibly close racing, quite simply any driver can win these races as the leader won't be able to pull away or at least shouldn't be able to.
Now I get some drivers may not like the idea of 'pack racing' but this is to bring a total wildcard round and element into the equation.

Settings:
(Otherwise known as the fine print of any GT Sport season)
Starting fuel - 100 litres
Ghosting - Weak
Wall CP - Invalidate time
Shortcut Pen - Invalidate time
Wall CD - default
Flag rules - on
Countersteering, ASM, Driving Line & Auto Drive - Banned
TC & ABS - Allowed
Mechanical damage - Light
Visible damage - On
Slipstream & Grip Red. on Wet/Track edge - Real
Race finish delay - equivalent of 1 lap + 10 seconds (whatever that is round by round)

Miscellaneous:
A few things I would like to make clear, Tier System - not 100% decided on this yet I would prefer a simple stable tier system however I do see the merits of Delaney's current tier policy.
Points system - again TBC, this would be decided nearer the time when its clear how many drivers & tiers there are, but one thing for certain I would be scrapping the point for Fastest Lap in races and Pole in the feature. (Points should only be paid out for the race, not for being a show pony.:LOL:)

With the start procedure for feature races I'm not a 100% decided, personally I'm interested in a Grid start with False start checked being used, but I can understand rolling starts being used instead because of there ease in general and zero chance of a first corner incident between drivers. (Sprint races will be rolling starts)

As for Sprint races, with the current rules/settings these will be zero stop races, I would consider making minor changes to tyre wear or fuel so that there is a need for a stop during the sprint if enough/majority of people were interested in it but for a 15 minute race I feel that a pit stop shouldn't really be needed or required, but if you wanted things to be slightly more interesting maybe upping tyre wear slightly more will mean that tyre choice could be more of a important factor in the sprint race, that could be something that I would look into.

My thoughts:
Ok I think that's everything, as I said please do not let some of the numbers mentioned be instantly dismissed as ramblings of a madman, (I know my shít after testing this myself properly) and fully believe that if this series was used by the co-ords it could and probably would be a massive success and fun most importantly!

If some are worried about the tyre wear and fuel then I can say this to you with confidence you'll be able to keep it in mix 1 and you can push the tyres well over a stint, the way these tyres hardly wear out on this car I think its only right that there is some kind of drop off in performance over a stint, it won't be seconds a lap but it will be a fair gradual decline, the idea behind x12 tyre wear is so that all drivers are challenged to some degree while racing this car, and are able to battle each other as with supersofts this car has a lot of grip.

Anyway for those that have read all this thanks, I'm very curious to see what the co-ords, current and former AOR GT Sport league drivers think of this, so please feel free to give your thoughts or questions on this series I've come up with below, but if your in a hurry then you can simply vote on the poll.

BL99DY-NINE

F1 Champion
Staff member
GT Coordinator
May 14, 2018
Speaking as a GT Sport League competitor (not wearing the coordinator's necktie atm) A Red Bull jr Series is something I've been wanting to get into ever since I started league racing back in GT6. So Hells Yes I'd be down for this series!

(Putting back on the coordinator's necktie) What we have planned for Season 4 is a Gr. 4 series that follows the format of Season 2's Gr.3 series 8 rounds, 40min Feature 20min sprint. Beyond Season 4 (excuse me for being a bit vague needs must) the schedule will be another short 'Cup' style season (4 rounds, 40min single race) followed by another full 8 round 40 min Feature/ 20min Sprint season and so on and so forth until Ragnarok. The reason behind the 8 round/ 4 round format is so that there is a break week in between each season which is crucial for behind the scenes operations. Which means your 9 round season (at present) would need to drop down to 8 rounds in order to fit our established work flow.

As for the length of the races I personally feel that 15mins for the sprint is too short but I do understand your reasoning behind the overall race night schedule. What I worry about more is that short races (15mins and under) foment a 'I have to make the move NOW' mentality which leads to more incidents.

Otherwise... :giggle::cool::giggle: your proposal looks solid and... are you quite sure you don't want to be a GT Sport League Coordinator?;)

Reactions: Delaney

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Mar 12, 2016
Hi mate. This sounds very interesting. One thing though - As @BL99DY-NINE mention, Season 4 has been in planning for the last 3-4 week and will be in Gr.4 cars and start January 10th.

We have started talking about season 5 though and so far We have agreed that it should be a One-make Cup. But We have also been discussing which car to use and this one has been in the back of my head all the time. Time slot (this time round) is March 14th to April 25th, which is not 9 weeks, as You suggest, but only 7. The plan is to do the next full fledged series from May 9th to June 27th.

So come play with us tonight at Fuji in the Gr.2's and We'll have a talk.

Ashracer2011

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
At 246BHP and weighing just 550kg this car should provide good and close racing (top speed reached normally 155-160mph), I've already have done a reasonable amount of testing with this car at various tracks and have come up with pretty much everything for the format, rules, settings and calendar for use in a season.
I see why you'd like this now ;) long term practice strategy :p

EDIT @Delaney @BL99DY-NINE @Hasnain
Personally, I'd like to see more variety, more challenges for the leading drivers such as tyre handicaps (making the top 4 use medium/hard tyres when the the rest can use Super softs or Softs) this would bring drivers who are 1s/2s off the pace into line with the drivers who are faster and would keep things competitive and give people a chance rather than relying purely on luck, that someone in the top 4 has a penalty or accident.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Speaking as a GT Sport League competitor (not wearing the coordinator's necktie atm) A Red Bull jr Series is something I've been wanting to get into ever since I started league racing back in GT6. So Hells Yes I'd be down for this series!

(Putting back on the coordinator's necktie) What we have planned for Season 4 is a Gr. 4 series that follows the format of Season 2's Gr.3 series 8 rounds, 40min Feature 20min sprint. Beyond Season 4 (excuse me for being a bit vague needs must) the schedule will be another short 'Cup' style season (4 rounds, 40min single race) followed by another full 8 round 40 min Feature/ 20min Sprint season and so on and so forth until Ragnarok. The reason behind the 8 round/ 4 round format is so that there is a break week in between each season which is crucial for behind the scenes operations. Which means your 9 round season (at present) would need to drop down to 8 rounds in order to fit our established work flow.

As for the length of the races I personally feel that 15mins for the sprint is too short but I do understand your reasoning behind the overall race night schedule. What I worry about more is that short races (15mins and under) foment a 'I have to make the move NOW' mentality which leads to more incidents.

Otherwise... :giggle::cool::giggle: your proposal looks solid and... are you quite sure you don't want to be a GT Sport League Coordinator?;)
Yeah I had a feeling that season 4 might have already be planned and be a Gr.4 series, I think when this X2014Jr season potentially happens shouldn't be the worry, as long as it happens at some point then that's the main thing for me.

I ain't going to argue with your planned schedule, if your set on 8 weeks then 4 weeks per series & cup that's fair enough, though circumstances in the future can of course change as nothing is firmly written in stone in AOR. I will say though instead of calling the cup series a proper season make a 'X'.5 mini season, as in I would have called the current cup season 2.5 for example. A 4 race season makes a mockery of the word season (in terms of racing) as far I'm concerned.:LOL:

I think Bl99dy with the sprint race, drivers will always be in a hurry whenever they hear there in a sprint race I don't honestly think that whether its 15 mins or 20 mins that it changes the mentality of drivers that much, the goal is always the same, get to the front as quickly and safely as possible.

Lastly Bl99dy I'm more of an ideas man then a league co-ordinator.
Hi mate. This sounds very interesting. One thing though - As @BL99DY-NINE mention, Season 4 has been in planning for the last 3-4 week and will be in Gr.4 cars and start January 10th.

We have started talking about season 5 though and so far We have agreed that it should be a One-make Cup. But We have also been discussing which car to use and this one has been in the back of my head all the time. Time slot (this time round) is March 14th to April 25th, which is not 9 weeks, as You suggest, but only 7. The plan is to do the next full fledged series from May 9th to June 27th.
With the one make cup you want to do, I mean I can have a proper look through some of the lesser known cars in the game and if I think theres one that might be suitable for a 4 race format then I'll make the suggestion here, personally though Delaney I feel the X2014Jr would be best used for a proper full season whether that's 8 rounds or 9.
I see why you'd like this now ;) long term practice strategy :p

EDIT @Delaney @BL99DY-NINE @Hasnain
Personally, I'd like to see more variety, more challenges for the leading drivers such as tyre handicaps (making the top 4 use medium/hard tyres when the the rest can use Super softs or Softs) this would bring drivers who are 1s/2s off the pace into line with the drivers who are faster and would keep things competitive and give people a chance rather than relying purely on luck, that someone in the top 4 has a penalty or accident.
I hardly call driving 15-20 minutes per track in this car this last week as giving me a long term advantage Ash.:LOL:

That's an interesting suggestion with the tyres, however depending on the track and tyre wear it might turn out the harder compound tyres will be more advantageous to the faster drivers.
I understand the idea of increasing the chances of making more winners but if you penalise the top 3 for example the 4th fastest driver will likely win or top 4 and the 5th fastest driver will likely win also if one the fastest drivers has a disaster through no fault of there own and finishes 5th or 6th for example then there a shoo-in to win with the other fast drivers on slower tyres.

I will add though I think the reverse grid works fine for the sprint in general and had it not been for certain cars fuel economy, @dragapollo12 for example who in general was the 5th fastest driver in Season 2, would have won a couple of races also come to think of it Bl99dy was in contention for a couple races as well.

I guess I just don't think nobbling the fastest drivers in the sprint race even more is the correct thing to do, if the supposed slower drivers are to win a race then I'm sure they want to at least earn it to some degree, rather then being given a big helping hand.

Delaney

F1 Senna Equivalent
Staff member
GT Coordinator
Mar 12, 2016
Atm. the long term plan looks like this:
Calendar 2019.JPG

But as You write, nothing is carved in stone. Fx. I could run out of juice......:unsure:

Ashracer2011

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jan 14, 2014
It was a joke @Wobbuffet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

making the top 4 drivers in the sprint use hards and the rest use softs would be a huge disadvantage for faster drivers and would defiantly mix up the races more. We ran it that way on GT5 and GT6 leagues and it was very successful in taking away the advantages of the faster drivers as there is not a weight penalty system.... generally occupy the top 4/5 positions unless they've had a bad race.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Atm. the long term plan looks like this:
View attachment 67739

But as You write, nothing is carved in stone. Fx. I could run out of juice......:unsure:
Oh ok so that's why you have the schedule like so, I see your planning a summer holiday but maybe to avoid burnout for the co-ords & all drivers have bigger breaks between seasons, and if people still want to get there weekly fix, then social races could be organised in the downtime.
I think 2,3 or even 4 weeks off after a season should maybe be considered, I don't know about everyone else but after Season 2 and 8 weeks in a row as I said I wanted to relax for the xmas period but even if it wasn't the xmas period after S2, I would have still not taken part in S3.
It was a joke @Wobbuffet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

making the top 4 drivers in the sprint use hards and the rest use softs would be a huge disadvantage for faster drivers and would defiantly mix up the races more. We ran it that way on GT5 and GT6 leagues and it was very successful in taking away the advantages of the faster drivers as there is not a weight penalty system.... generally occupy the top 4/5 positions unless they've had a bad race.
lol I wish you had made that clearer Ash as since you bolded that, it seemed like you were being serious.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Hey @Delaney after doing a bit of searching though the cars I've come up with several different options/suggestions for you for the one make cup competition:

Pontiac Trans-Am Firebird '78

Recently added to the game a retro sports/road car, I believe this is from the N300 class with 219BHP not used regular road cars yet.

Daihatsu Copen RJ VGT
1545405470898.jpeg
In the Gr.X category however only has 146BHP but weighs just 600kg, will without doubt create extremely close racing.

Subaru WRX STi Isle of Man Time Attack Car '16

Another Gr.X car but this Subaru is a bit different to other WRX's, has 578BHP and weighs 1140kg but also features a DRS style rear wing, if your looking for something a bit faster and not known.

Subaru Falken Tires/Turn 14 Distribution BRZ '17

Again a Gr.X car but this is no ordinary race car its actually a Formula D car boasting an insane 1037BHP, but this car is not meant to race in the normal sense, in my small running of this car its quicker to drift around corners then take then normally, and also despite this car having BHP this high its limited to around 135mph with a locked transmission.

If the league was to use this car then I think a completely different format would have to be used like a one lap, 1 v 1 knockout tournament.

Also maybe worth considering is to do a Rally Cup Delaney, since there are 3 dirt tracks in the game.

But as you can see theres plenty of choice here if your undecided for the one make cup.