Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sunday

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

poisike78

AOR PCars PC Ginetta GT5 S1 T2 Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Backstory: I really enjoyed Touring Car and GT5 leagues on PCars2 and I'm missing the close racing and fun these slower cars provide. Not sure why, but slower cars just seem to provide a better experience, for me at least. Been thinking about it for a long time and finally decided to post it here to see if I'm alone or would there be interest in this.

The Idea: Lets do some fun weekly social races with slower cars and lets try to keep the costs down to make it a nice entry point for new people. Idea is to have some fun in maybe a bit less competitive environment. AOR Clean and Fair racing rules would still apply.

Car choice: Two cars come to mind, Mazda and Skippies. We can agree on one of them or do both (multiclass). Or You can suggest another car? The new Audi is probably also an option if and when it gets released.

Track choice: I would like to keep it on free tracks, at least for the start, to make it more accessible for everyone. If there is interest in this idea, we can always look for other possibilities in the future.

Racing day: I guess we can have a vote and go with the day that suits the most people? I would suggest to keep it as far as possible from GTE league day (Monday) and F3 race day is also probably not the best day (Friday). Please vote only if You would actually take part in this. Thank You!

Race format:
I suggest the following format (stole it from PCars days). I'm personally not a huge fan of reverse grids and not even sure if this is possible on iracing, but I suggest the following to make it a bit more interesting for more experienced drivers:
- Practice: 50? minutes.
- Qualifying: 10 minutes.
- Sprint race: 20 minutes.
- Main race: 40 minutes. Starting order is reverse sprint race.

Your thoughts? Would You be interested? Any ideas/suggestions?

Reactions: Marvin

Marvin

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 6, 2016
Was planning to set up an additional iRacing league after I get back from vacation. So definitely interested in this. I will just post some early thoughts about this league that I had.

This is what I had in mind:
Cars: MX-5 or Porsche Cup Car
Length: 6 races, to see interest and evaluate format etc.
Tracks: 4 free tracks and 2 popular paid tracks.
Format: Like the format that you proposed. Although you need to pay for 3 hours for this format (main race and sprint race need different sessions), so you either have to reduce practice to 30 min to make it a 2 hour session or extend it 90 min to use the full 3 hours that you pay for.

Reactions: poisike78

poisike78

Feb 28, 2018
Was planning to set up an additional iRacing league after I get back from vacation. So definitely interested in this. I will just post some early thoughts about this league that I had.

This is what I had in mind:
Cars: MX-5 or Porsche Cup Car
Length: 6 races, to see interest and evaluate format etc.
Tracks: 4 free tracks and 2 popular paid tracks.
Format: Like the format that you proposed. Although you need to pay for 3 hours for this format (main race and sprint race need different sessions), so you either have to reduce practice to 30 min to make it a 2 hour session or extend it 90 min to use the full 3 hours that you pay for.
Didn't know there were already plans for such a similar idea. Really glad to hear that and a league sounds even better, I just hope there is enough interest in this.

TBH I have never tried the Porsche Cup car, so I have no idea where it slots in speed wise and my opinion is based purely on other people talking about it, but from what I heard about it doesn't sound like a beginner friendly thing? Of course I'm not sure if that is one of the targets of Your idea at all.

Yeah, a mix of free and popular paid tracks is a great idea.

As I wrote, I had no idea if that format is doable in iracing, but if the only problem is practice session time, then that's a small problem to have.

When are You getting back from Your vacation? Depending on that, I may try to organize a few social races just for fun (if I can figure out how to do that) or if You are getting back soon then I guess You can go ahead with the plan You had and consider this Your interest thread if You want.

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
I hope we get the Audi TCR next season, then a Audi cup would be just perfect :)

Otherwise, not a fan of either MX5 nor skippies.
But the Spec Racer Ford is a good entry car to also learn driving techniques.

I’d rather follow an official calendar than make up one of free tracks, as it allows to use official races for practice.

poisike78

Feb 28, 2018
I hope we get the Audi TCR next season, then a Audi cup would be just perfect :)

Otherwise, not a fan of either MX5 nor skippies.
But the Spec Racer Ford is a good entry car to also learn driving techniques.

I’d rather follow an official calendar than make up one of free tracks, as it allows to use official races for practice.
The Ford is a nice car to drive but it has lift off oversteer and that takes time to get used to.

I agree that it's nice to have a calendar that follows official calendar for people who have all the tracks or want to buy all of them anyway, but for new people it might get too expensive. My idea was to keep the costs as low as possible. Not sure what Marvin was thinking about this but his idea of 4 free tracks and 2 paid tracks also seems to go the cost saving route.

VSR_NICK-NITRO

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2017
I personally would prefer it to be fixed setups. I like to keep it as simple and less time consuming as possible and in iracing's case it actually makes it cheaper too :)
But I guess it's up to what the majority wants.
I’m with you, a fixed setup would be my preferred choice.

Reactions: Isir and poisike78

xMinxG

F1 Senna Equivalent
Apr 1, 2016
I still maintain we should do my idea of an free oval league.
Then again we can do Road/Ovals so we can enjoy both.

Street Stocks are the closest racing you could do IMO.
Charlotte 600? Side by side for 600 laps would be epic.

poisike78

Feb 28, 2018
I still maintain we should do my idea of an free oval league.
Then again we can do Road/Ovals so we can enjoy both.

Street Stocks are the closest racing you could do IMO.
Charlotte 600? Side by side for 600 laps would be epic.
As Stevie told you, organize a few social races and see how it goes. One aor staff member even offered to help run the league if there is interest in it.
Road and oval are so different things (at least for me), if there is interest in both, I don't see why both can't succeed.

mike66187

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Aug 11, 2018
I personally would prefer it to be fixed setups. I like to keep it as simple and less time consuming as possible and in iracing's case it actually makes it cheaper too :)
But I guess it's up to what the majority wants.
I would have no problem with fixed setups. I would go 1 step further and make a league fixed setup and apply that as the fixed setup for the season. or on a per track basis.

Reactions: Isir and poisike78

SmokingPuppy841

Really Useful Person
Oct 24, 2016
It’s death! Porsche cup, Audi TCR multiclass? :D
This'd would quite well, very creventic-like.

All we need to do now is add GT3, Cadillac CTS-V, another Touring Car (Kia?), make the races really long and have lots of series within the series as a whole, but without an overall series including all the events. Simple really!

SmokingPuppy841

Really Useful Person
Oct 24, 2016
Particularly on the cost-saving front, it would be easy to do a road beginner league on weeks 1,3,5,7,9 and 11, and an oval beginner league on weeks 2,4,6,8,10,12, or something similar.

Also, Charlotte 600 is 'only' 400 laps, and in a street stock would take a very long time.

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
@poisike78 would you like to run a few socials to test out the formats and cars you feel suitable from this feedback thread? I’d be happy to throw in the hosting cost.

Let’s focus here on road racing exclusively :)
Ovals could be discussed in a separate thread.

poisike78

Feb 28, 2018
@poisike78 would you like to run a few socials to test out the formats and cars you feel suitable from this feedback thread? I’d be happy to throw in the hosting cost.
I was planning to offer to run a few socials, but wanted to talk to Marvin first to see if he is ok with that. As when I made this thread, I didn't know he already had plans for a very similar thing. I think I can manage with the costs, it's a small price to pay to get some slower racing going here.

I will talk to Marvin and if he is ok with this then I will set up something for Thursday (as it seems to be the most popular day until now).

Reactions: Stephan

poisike78

Feb 28, 2018
Reactions: Stephan

Deerladog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 24, 2017
I was also wanting a Porsche Cup league at some point, however I kept forgetting to make a thread. I would definitely be willing to help run such a league.

I did some digging a while back when I first had this idea, and you don't need to set up 2 sessions to do 2 races. You can have 2 races as part of one event, and have the grid reversed or whatever else you may please all done automatically by iRacing.

I also thought instead of the free track route Marvin suggested, we could do a similar thing to the endurance league when it was alive. 6 races to gauge interest, following the official Porsche Cup calendar, racing every other week. I may make a separate thread later, I'm not sure :)

There are barely any setup options available on the Porsche Cup, so I think we should make it open setup and allow drivers to tune their car to fit their driving style. In my opinion paid setups aren't as beneficial here, much better to just click a few buttons until it feels good. Multiclass with Mazdas would be an option if there was demand for it, but I don't feel it would add too much.

poisike78

Feb 28, 2018
So we tried to do a Mazda and then Porsche race, but there wasn't enough interest for even a social race :( What we haven't yet tried out of the mentioned cars is Skip Barber, anyone wanna give this a chance next week? This series is at lovely Watkins Glen next week...