PC - Social Scale Endurance Championship: Dubai GP |19.00|21/3/20 | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Social Scale Endurance Championship: Dubai GP |19.00|21/3/20

Class Removal Poll [Select which class you do NOT want to run]. Please Select Either GTE or GT3

• LMP2

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • GTE

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • GT3

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • TCR

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ATOMiK029

Pro Karter
Jan 30, 2020
  • Do you understand and accept the event's rules and regulations? Yes
  • Have you read and understood the rules regarding Manual Rolling Start? Yes
  • Gamertag: ATOMiK029
  • Nationality: English
  • Preferred car class: LMP2
  • Speedtest Result:

Last edited:

EikeSky

Formula 4 2nd Driver
AOR Commentator
Oct 4, 2017
Could we have 3 classes - LMP2, GT3 and TCR?
Oh totally. But I think the field would need to be a little larger than we have atm to give a reasonable spread. Also, if you check out the first post, I've actually got a points system and standings from Daytona, minus start and attendance unfortunately. But they are a start :p Adding a third class would confuse things slightly, but not beyond comprehension.
I already ran at AOR through f1 with this same London server and I had no problems :)
Different engine, game, physics. It's not as simple as that, but at the same time, it's a social race, better that we find out here than with a GT3 league.

Reactions: ATOMiK029

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Oh totally. But I think the field would need to be a little larger than we have atm to give a reasonable spread. Also, if you check out the first post, I've actually got a points system and standings from Daytona, minus start and attendance unfortunately. But they are a start :p Adding a third class would confuse things slightly, but not beyond comprehension.

Different engine, game, physics. It's not as simple as that, but at the same time, it's a social race, better that we find out here than with a GT3 league.
I would advise against 3 classes. We've done it before in the Endurance League and it worked wonders from the first race of the season but from there on out there was a heavy lack of drivers in each category. With this probably not getting as many sign-ups as the Endurance League did, it'll probably be even worse if we run 3 classes. Just look at Daytona where we were initially 24 drivers with a perfect 50/50 split in the 2 classes. At the end of the race we were 15 left with 8 for LMP2 and 7 for GTE. Let's say we get the same amount of sign-ups for this but do it with 3 classes. That'd be a split of 8/8/8 which imo is already a very low number for each class. If we then lose just as many people in the span of the race we could potentially be looking at only 5 people for each class left which imo isn't really all that fun.
It certainly makes it more interesting with 3 classes, but in terms of driver numbers, it's gonna generate less racing since there are less people in each class.

ATOMiK029

Pro Karter
Jan 30, 2020
Fair enough. Understood @EikeSky and @TicklishPicklewickle (y)

I just really want to drive in LMP2. I feel that's my most comfortable class. However, I'm still happy to drive whatever is decided.

Looking at signups so far, we have LMP2 and TCR, which I think could still work. Everyone did so well at Daytona to hold back and then pounce on the GTE's on the banking. With TCR, we could do the same, but then the LMP2's would be able to blast past at the exit of each corner due to the better acceleration.

Dubai has a few long straights where passing would be the easiest spot. There's a few other sweeping corners on the track that could be suitable too.

Reactions: EikeSky

EikeSky

Formula 4 2nd Driver
AOR Commentator
Oct 4, 2017
Fair enough. Understood @EikeSky and @TicklishPicklewickle (y)

I just really want to drive in LMP2. I feel that's my most comfortable class. However, I'm still happy to drive whatever is decided.

Looking at signups so far, we have LMP2 and TCR, which I think could still work. Everyone did so well at Daytona to hold back and then pounce on the GTE's on the banking. With TCR, we could do the same, but then the LMP2's would be able to blast past at the exit of each corner due to the better acceleration.

Dubai has a few long straights where passing would be the easiest spot. There's a few other sweeping corners on the track that could be suitable too.
Yeah, I was hoping that the entrants would look at the poll and figure out the best trade-off, hence why you can change your options, for if you want to vote tactically, not only for which class you want to race, but also which you want to race against.

wolfgang

Formula 3 Test Driver
Aug 5, 2016
Of course it is a great idea to race with 3 classes, each with 10 people.
But the experience of the last years shows clearly that even events with 2 classes have difficulties to find enough people who will race until the end of the race.
IMO, successful with many participants are races with one class. This is the only way to have enough participants to make the race exciting. Everything else is dreaming.
Sympathetically sure, but unrealistic

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Of course it is a great idea to race with 3 classes, each with 10 people.
But the experience of the last years shows clearly that even events with 2 classes have difficulties to find enough people who will race until the end of the race.
IMO, successful with many participants are races with one class. This is the only way to have enough participants to make the race exciting. Everything else is dreaming.
Sympathetically sure, but unrealistic
I disagree with that. It's definitely possible to find enough drivers for 2 classes. For the 2.4h Daytona we had 12 in each class and I'd say that's a pretty good showing. But 3 classes, as I said, not a chance :p

AndrexUK

2 times PC Project Cars 2 Champion
Staff member
AC Coordinator
May 6, 2015
Yeah, if had the full 32, then 3 classes is fine, but any less, and it's not worth it.

I ran a bit of a practice race against some AI, and even LMP2 + TC wasn't that bad to be honest.
LMP2 and one of the GT classes makes more sense, or maybe switch to GT4? but LMP2 + TC is not a bad option!

• Winner

EikeSky

Formula 4 2nd Driver
AOR Commentator
Oct 4, 2017
Yeah, if had the full 32, then 3 classes is fine, but any less, and it's not worth it.

I ran a bit of a practice race against some AI, and even LMP2 + TC wasn't that bad to be honest.
LMP2 and one of the GT classes makes more sense, or maybe switch to GT4? but LMP2 + TC is not a bad option!
If that margin is workable, maybe we don't need the GT cars at all. That would be nice, also opens up a load more options as far as pace is concerned too for future races.
@Vines Be prepared you may have to settle for either TCR or LMP2 at this rate :)

Vines

Semi-Pro Karter
Jan 28, 2020
If that margin is workable, maybe we don't need the GT cars at all. That would be nice, also opens up a load more options as far as pace is concerned too for future races.
@Vines Be prepared you may have to settle for either TCR or LMP2 at this rate :)
Ohhh , quiet

• Funny

Smolda

AOR PC Endurance League S4 GTE Champion
Oct 23, 2017
Weekends are a bit difficult for me, but I'll try ...
  • Gamertag: Smolda
  • Nationality: Czech Republic
  • Preferred car class: LMP2
  • Speedtest Result:

jogurc

Pro Karter
Jan 4, 2020
  • Do you understand and accept the event's rules and regulations? yes
  • Have you read and understood the rules regarding Manual Rolling Start? yes
  • Gamertag: jogurc
  • Nationality: Latvian
  • Preferred car class: GT3
  • Speedtest Result:
1582022025864.png

Reactions: /CSR/ speedy.go

BruceHamill

Formula Karter
Jun 8, 2019
  • Gamertag: BruceHill
  • Nationality: UK
  • Preferred car class: GT3
  • Speedtest Result:

[URL=https://www.speedtest.net/result/9050726226][/URL]

My wife is due to have our baby on the 28th, so this may be a no go for me but otherwise am up for it. :)

F4H MaR4uDer

Formula 4 1st Driver
Dec 3, 2017
I would have put the GT4 better instead of the LMP2, a GT and TCC race, it would be more fun since it would be more even and there would not be so many doubles. LMP2 are very fast for TCC causing greater risk in the bendges.

Tony Clifton

Formula Karter
Sep 24, 2019
  • Gamertag: Tony Clifton
  • Nationality: Hungary
  • Preferred car class: GT3 (Audi R8 LMS )
Speedtest result:

(I hope that my wheel issue will be fully resolved. This is one of my favorite tracks.)

EikeSky

Formula 4 2nd Driver
AOR Commentator
Oct 4, 2017
So according to the poll we'll be running GT3 and TCR. But according to car choices made, we have:
  • TCR: 3
  • GT3: 4
  • LMP2: 6
Which would mean GT3 and LMP2 win entry. Unless we run 3 classes, which is okay, but as we've discussed already, spreading the field that thin isn't ideal. Give me some opinions here, it would be great if we could resolve these classes in a way that everyone's happy with.

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
So according to the poll we'll be running GT3 and TCR. But according to car choices made, we have:
  • TCR: 3
  • GT3: 4
  • LMP2: 6
Which would mean GT3 and LMP2 win entry. Unless we run 3 classes, which is okay, but as we've discussed already, spreading the field that thin isn't ideal. Give me some opinions here, it would be great if we could resolve these classes in a way that everyone's happy with.
:unsure:

1582494028437.png

This poll suggest that the classes that gets the most votes will NOT be run. Most votes are on GTE and then GT3. Which means according to the poll we run LMP2 and TCR or have I completely misunderstood this?

There's no pleasing everybody here and the poll shows that LMP2 and TCR are the most wanted classes. Even if people have signed up in GT3 as well. Maybe you shouldn't have asked for classes for sign-ups before the poll was closed :p
I think we should go with the poll. I'm sure those that have signed up for GT3 is fine with choosing another class since they have likely - like me - chosen 2 classes they want to run (or rather 2 they don't and then the 2 they haven't voted are the ones they want to run)

Reactions: Royalt and EikeSky

StrongestAvenger

Semi-Pro Karter
Oct 5, 2019
  • Gamertag: StrongestAvenger
  • Nationality: Serbia
  • Preferred car class: GT3 (if drivers are needed, I could switch to LMP, but i dont have a lot of experience there :) )

1582577809534.png

EikeSky

Formula 4 2nd Driver
AOR Commentator
Oct 4, 2017
:unsure:

View attachment 104378
This poll suggest that the classes that gets the most votes will NOT be run. Most votes are on GTE and then GT3. Which means according to the poll we run LMP2 and TCR or have I completely misunderstood this?

There's no pleasing everybody here and the poll shows that LMP2 and TCR are the most wanted classes. Even if people have signed up in GT3 as well. Maybe you shouldn't have asked for classes for sign-ups before the poll was closed :p
I think we should go with the poll. I'm sure those that have signed up for GT3 is fine with choosing another class since they have likely - like me - chosen 2 classes they want to run (or rather 2 they don't and then the 2 they haven't voted are the ones they want to run)
The idea of the poll was to have GT3 or GTE, and LMP2 or TCR. As I say, I wasn't sure of the pace difference between LMP2/TCR but I'm sure they probably act like moving chicanes for an LMP.

Yeah, lots of lessons to take from this for sure. Don't worry, there's a laundry list as long as my arm on my desk. Now I know the tools available as well, I'll be able to make better choices about deciding classes too.

For now, let's agree with the result of the poll. Regardless the structure I had intended, people are much more driven to exclude both GTE and GT3.

T1 will be LMP2

T2 will be TCR

This does have 2 benefits from a racing standpoint; 1: The classes are very clearly defined and there will be no overlap in pace, and with this track, the long straights and sweeping turns through the first sector will give a great challenge for the LMP2's safely lapping the TCR's. On a personal level this will make for a great dynamic.

Unfortunately, this means that @Vines, @jogurc, @BruceHamill, @Tony Clifton and now @StrongestAvenger, I'll ask you to pick from these 2 classes under the premise (and promise, if I'm honest) that you will have a great race with either, and there will be significant improvements in the process for the next race. Hopefully that includes a less confusing class removal poll.