Sooo... Is this allowed? (Driver Advice/Incident Discussion) | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Sooo... Is this allowed? (Driver Advice/Incident Discussion)

Zonerouge12

Formula Karter
Oct 3, 2018
For me the problem of the yellow flag in iRacing is that it can appear to disappear in the next half second that follows !

Deerladog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 24, 2017
Smashing your brakes will more than likely cause anyone following you to end up inside you. Obviously sometimes smashing your brakes is the only option, but its something to consider.

With yellow flags, I find that both CrewChief and the standard iRacing spotter do a good job of verbally warning you of incidents ahead. I personally use CrewChief for verbal information, and have the iR spotter on text only so I still get the slow car ahead messages too. Helps me avoid contributing to someone elses pileup quite often.

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
Regarding the passing under yellow @Merlin Cooper, it has been talked about several times in the official forums and many times I saw this kind of answer from members ansd I think it's relevant:

In iRacing a yellow flag is not shown for the entire field when there's an incident, it pops on your screen when you're whatever time or distance fom the said incident. Wich means you could get a yellow shown on your screen, and not the guy 1 second behind you. And as @Zonerouge12 mentionned, yellow can just appear and disappear in the same second, not to mention some of them are not even related to actual incident (Daytona exit of the infield for instance).

I totally see your point, as too many times people on iRacing don't give a damn about being cautious when facing an incident. But as long as we don't get a proper yellow system, cleared by a green flag, I'm not sure it's realistic to monitor people behaviour under yellow, unfortunatelly.

Deerladog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Aug 24, 2017
Can we show blue flags to every driver ahead of me on track, regardless of what lap they're on? That'd help me out a bunch :p

• Clever
Reactions: FisiFan91

Tiffosi72

Junior Karter
Mar 4, 2019
How to say...
On my video i'm going to show you how to create a gap on his direct pursuits at the expense of the limits of the track.
... Shame there is no slow donw here.

Driver: Evan rt and Marcel #975

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
How to say...
On my video i'm going to show you how to create a gap on his direct pursuits at the expense of the limits of the track.
... Shame there is no slow donw here.

Driver: Evan rt and Marcel #975
Good question!
We follow iracing track limits. For turn 1 on Watkins Glen they are made for NASCAR and other cars with no steering, so you can run very, very wide. I personally don’t like it either, yet I am doing it too because it’s allowed (well, maybe not that wide)
At least the crossing of the grass by the car ahead was a 1x. If you do that every lap, it’s a DSQ not even halfway through the race.

Bucefal

AOR iRacing GTE 2 time Pro-AM Champion
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2018
Yes, @Tiffosi72 is specifically speaking about the grass cutting here. His point is that, if done deliberately once or twice, it could be a way to gain a decent amount of time over one's pursuer by staying full throttle rather than trying to get back within the track limits. Resulting in breaking the slipstream in some cases.

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Yes, @Tiffosi72 is specifically speaking about the grass cutting here. His point is that, if done deliberately once or twice, it could be a way to gain a decent amount of time over one's pursuer by staying full throttle rather than trying to get back within the track limits. Resulting in breaking the slipstream in some cases.
That’s an interesting scenario. I don’t think we’ve seen such a question in the stewards panel either.

@Stevie whats your thought?

devoutfire3

Premium Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2015
I did it once lmao not intentionally, btw is repeated flashing of lights allowed because @Tiffosi72 was. You were barely faster than me it's not my fault you struggled to overtake :LOL:

Tiffosi72

Junior Karter
Mar 4, 2019
This is how you did to overtake me ... and I still have other movements from you with which you crash me so ... what.

Stevie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Aug 26, 2014
Guys, don't turn this into an argument. If you can't discuss things nicely then I'll stop both of you replying. The point of the thread is getting advice and clarification, not 'well he did this' and 'yeah but you did that' nonsense.

Zonerouge12

Formula Karter
Oct 3, 2018
Do the invited pilots have a briefing note on the behaviour to have on the track ?

I do find the hyper-aggressive behaviour of some of the temporary drivers inappropriate, especially at the very beginning of race !
Why try dangerous overtaking or resist hard overtaking with full-time driver when you don’t play the championship ?
In this type of situation the temporary driver has nothing to gain and the full-time driver has all to lose !

Soon !

• Faff
Reactions: devoutfire3

Marvin

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 6, 2016
Do the invited pilots have a briefing note on the behaviour to have on the track ?

I do find the hyper-aggressive behaviour of some of the temporary drivers inappropriate, especially at the very beginning of race !
Why try dangerous overtaking or resist hard overtaking with full-time driver when you don’t play the championship ?
In this type of situation the temporary driver has nothing to gain and the full-time driver has all to lose !

Soon !
Reserve drivers have just as much right to battle people as the full-time drivers. Once they have done enough races they will be placed in a class, so their race results are already important for the championship standings. Furthermore, some drivers don't really care about the championship standings and just want to have a good race with lots of battling. That's their right, as long as everything is within the rules.

Zonerouge12

Formula Karter
Oct 3, 2018
Reserve drivers have just as much right to battle people as the full-time drivers. Once they have done enough races they will be placed in a class, so their race results are already important for the championship standings. Furthermore, some drivers don't really care about the championship standings and just want to have a good race with lots of battling. That's their right, as long as everything is within the rules.
The idea is not to ban fights in the race but to do it productively !
Be hit from the 2nd lap by a temporary driver who is himself out of the race 3 laps later, at this time of the season...sorry but it’s not serious ! :confused:

Marvin

Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 6, 2016
The idea is not to ban fights in the race but to do it productively !
Be hit from the 2nd lap by a temporary driver who is himself out of the race 3 laps later, at this time of the season...sorry but it’s not serious ! :confused:
If you feel someone crashed you out you should report it to the stewards.

However I still fail to see why it matters to you if it was a reserve or full time driver. If someone does something against the rules it doesn't matter if that person is a reserve, full time driver, pro or am driver. All are equal on track.

As I said the most important thing is that you report it if you feel treated unfairly.

Merlin Cooper

Premium Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2017
Sorry for going a little off-topic but do not know where to ask the questions and from my point of view it's not worth a separate thread.

Does anybody know what HP in the results means? I assume it is when you finish the race in the pits - but couldn't find any rule that says you are not eligible to score points when you in the pits when the race finishes.