PC - The Pit Stop "Hack" | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC The Pit Stop "Hack"

TicklishPicklewickle

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Alright so it seems like the tier 1 guys have figured out a way to do pit stops much faster than the 5+ minimum time it normally takes.
So I'm now making everyone aware of this "hack", so we don't have a few drivers that use this "feature" to their advantage.
I'm sure some of you already knew about this, but for those of you that didn't, here is the original post from the tier 1 forums.
Curtesy of @Ironik who made everyone aware in tier 1

Guys,

Thanks to @AndrexUK, I'm now aware of a hack regarding the pitstops.

If you make a pitstop strategy with adding 1L fuel, your pitstop will be much faster than while doing nothing.
1L fuel = 2s pitstop
Nothing= 5,6s pitstop.

@Adalexis just tested this and it's confirmed.

Tagging all tier 2 drivers:
@borates
@DANGEROUS GIANETTA
@ShaggyDan
@DaWu
@Lusti
@John_Beauregard
@Niclas Domino
@Dannyvdmeer
@Doc
@Gosku
@Portaa
@Glen-Alz-81
@rciq
@TheGW
@Shooter80
@S4Howie
@dakuza
@Rickybrosh
@Newy656
@Smolda
@Midweekcoma
@StormENT
@marley 57
@Oblit0r
@Cleeuwn
@mikkisbee

Oblit0r

Formula 4 1st Driver
Jan 10, 2018
I was aware of the 'hack', but I accidentally put it to 0 liters during yesterday's race :D

dakuza

F1 2nd Driver
Feb 8, 2018
That didn't seem to work for me. I did add 1 liter of fuel at Sonoma but the stop still took about 5 seconds. Perhaps there is something else in the pit strategy settings to change.

TicklishPicklewickle

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
That didn't seem to work for me. I did add 1 liter of fuel at Sonoma but the stop still took about 5 seconds. Perhaps there is something else in the pit strategy settings to change.
Did you ask the pit crew to repair any damage? Like aero or engine damage for example? That might've been what make it take that little bit longer

dakuza

F1 2nd Driver
Feb 8, 2018
Did you ask the pit crew to repair any damage? Like aero or engine damage for example? That might've been what make it take that little bit longer
Nope, and I had exactly same damage before and after pitting. The pit progress bar did stop on damage repair for a while but no damage was repaired. Also checked the pit strategy afterwards and it does not contain any repair. Stop time still seems somewhat random.

Oblit0r

Formula 4 1st Driver
Jan 10, 2018
Was there perhaps anyone passing you in the pitlane, while your pitstop was completed? I noticed in a race that I couldn't drive out because of that.

TicklishPicklewickle

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Nope, and I had exactly same damage before and after pitting. The pit progress bar did stop on damage repair for a while but no damage was repaired. Also checked the pit strategy afterwards and it does not contain any repair. Stop time still seems somewhat random.
It could be that your pitcrew repaired something that you couldn't see? Gearbox damage isn't visible to see in the HUD, also if you set your bit crew to fix brakes you can't see that as well

dakuza

F1 2nd Driver
Feb 8, 2018
It could be that your pitcrew repaired something that you couldn't see? Gearbox damage isn't visible to see in the HUD, also if you set your bit crew to fix brakes you can't see that as well
I doubt that since my pit strategy has all repairs disabled, but it's PC2 so you never know. Also checked from my recording that I did select the "Just stop" strategy. There were no other cars in the pits either.
In the replay the time my car is stopped is about 5 sec.

TicklishPicklewickle

Project CARS Coordinator
Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Here:

I don't have a recording from my POV because of FPS issues so only replay.
I've now taken multiple measurements with a stopwatch and it shows me a pretty consistent 3.6 seconds. So I think you're good :p

• Optimistic
Reactions: dakuza

Ironik

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jul 20, 2016
I doubt that since my pit strategy has all repairs disabled, but it's PC2 so you never know. Also checked from my recording that I did select the "Just stop" strategy. There were no other cars in the pits either.
In the replay the time my car is stopped is about 5 sec.
Here:

I don't have a recording from my POV because of FPS issues so only replay.
The problem is that we learn nothing from the replay. I thought you had a "game recording" as you mentioned it earlier or maybe I didn't understand what you meant.
If you still have it, it would be great if you could upload it even if quality is bad.

dakuza

F1 2nd Driver
Feb 8, 2018
The problem is that we learn nothing from the replay. I thought you had a "game recording" as you mentioned it earlier or maybe I didn't understand what you meant.
If you still have it, it would be great if you could upload it even if quality is bad.
Unfortunately I had to stop recording before end of formation lap because of serious framerate issues.
I made the recording available anyway because is shows the estimated pit stop time for selected strategy to be just over 1 second.

Using same pit strategy in a practice race the pit stop took the expected time (a second or two), but the pit stop progress bar mid-race at Sonoma showed that my stop took way over 4 seconds. Would have to do much more detective work to check all pit stops from Sonoma but in my replay at least @Lusti had a much faster stop while @ShaggyDan's stop took even longer.

Reactions: Ironik

dakuza

F1 2nd Driver
Feb 8, 2018
Ok did some testing after getting an idea from @NanShanker420 .
Having damage affects your pit stop time even if pit strategy is set to not fix anything. Nothing is fixed but the stop just takes a bit longer.

Same pit strategy in all three tests, no damage repair, no tyres changed and 1 liter of fuel added.
- Pit stop without damage 2.1 sec
- Pit stop with 3% aero damage 2.6 sec
- Stop with severe (20% front wing, some suspension etc.) damage 5.2 sec

Last edited:
  • Informative

Ironik

F1 Senna Equivalent
Jul 20, 2016
Ok did some testing... Having damage affects your pit stop time even if pit strategy is set to not fix anything. Nothing is fixed but the stop just takes a bit longer.

Same pit strategy in all three tests, no damage repair, no tyres changed and 1 liter of fuel added.
- Pit stop without damage 2.1 sec
- Pit stop with 3% aero damage 2.6 sec
- Stop with severe (20% front wing, some suspension etc.) damage 5.2 sec
Was it online ? Practice or Race ? Mandatory pitstop on ?
I'll try to reproduce this as it's very weird.

dakuza

F1 2nd Driver
Feb 8, 2018
Was it online ? Practice or Race ? Mandatory pitstop on ?
I'll try to reproduce this as it's very weird.
Offline race with mandatory stop. Did multiple stops without damage, all 2.1 sec. Only two stops with damage as posted above.

Lusti

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Jan 25, 2018
I made a "none" strategy for the race and my pit stop was 1.7 second.I only got a little repair,I think the engine had 2% damage.

ShaggyDan

Formula Karter
Feb 16, 2018
@dakuza i actually was so busy trying to decide when to pit i forgot to set 1 litre so my stop was the usual 5.7 secs, i think i also went to take off and my car was somehow in neutral so yeah... i lost a good 5ish seconds on anyone who used the 1l trick