XB1 - The Press Area | ApexOnlineRacing.com

XB1 The Press Area

The Genius

Alex Championship runner-up & 1-time GP2 Champion
Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Premium Member
Sep 30, 2014

Good afternoon everyone and welcome to the race preview for the fifth round of the Xbox One GT3 Pro Championship.

It’s been a fantastic week for many, with good news coming from the BMW camp as Orange Tiger receives his long-awaited car upgrades and Devastation is still relishing his podium finish last time out.

This week, we head to the Circuit De Barcelona-Catalunya for Round 5 of the championship, the half-way point of the season! This 2.8-Mile 16 turn circuit is a very popular track amongst the drivers, although some are not feeling too confident.

It’s a circuit which tests all aspects of a driver’s skill, high-speed corners, low-speed corners, fast straights with hard braking points and a couple of small but tricky elevation changes. It should certainly be a cracker of a race, and one that will provide the spectators with plenty of entertainment throughout the day. Speaking of which, this is the first daylight race we have had since 2 rounds ago at Donington back in the UK, therefore we might see some of the regular front-runners back to their dominating performances.

Last time out @FTW ShadowDemon took a dominant victory from pole position to take the lead in the championship. He now has a 17-point lead to rival @FTW XtremeStorm . It was heartbreak for Demon’s team-mate @Adam Tierney , who ran into an issue early on in the race and was forced to retire. This left him with a 42-point deficit to the leader, not far off a race victory. However, I am confident he will bounce back this week. The star of the show was @Devastation , who brought home his Mercedes in a brilliant 2nd place finish.

This week we are going to be concentrating on the teams and their overall packages, and as we approach this halfway point who is looking likely to take that manufacturers title home.

Let’s start with McLaren. It was a decent result for the British outfit in Japan. @Smithycity99 managed to bring his car home in 4th, with @t3hmightymidg3t following close behind to take 5th. Further back, @Joe XD struggled in both qualifying and the race, crashing on the final corner and ended up further down the field than he perhaps should have done with a no-stop strategy. @Wizard , the Season 1 Champion, closely followed his team-mate home in 8th. This week isn't looking that promising so far, with themightymidget crashing in practice and Smithy potentially missing the race due to illness. Leaving just Joe XD and Wizard. Although every single one of these drivers can bring home strong points week-in, week-out if they are going to mount a challenge for the title being one of the full teams this season, they will need every point they can get.

Mercedes next. The maverick in the merc showed the midfield drivers how it’s done in the previous round after finishing in second place. Demonstrating you don’t need to be the fastest driver to have a good result. Riding the waves from this finish, he’ll be looking to keep this consistency going and score as many points as possible. Being one of the three independent drivers this season, in each race he’ll probably be concentrating on just beating the other two. However, with Tiger’s M3 receiving upgrades this week, that might be harder to do in such a competitive field.

On the subject of the independents, let’s look into the newest team on the grid, Audi. It was a difficult start for them this season, in the hands of Rookie @Rick O Matic they were lapped twice on what can only be described as a race to put behind them, and push on through to the second half of the season. I personally don’t think we’ve seen the best of what the Brit can do, and I think the next round in Spain will give him the perfect opportunity to do just that.

BMW (Z4s) then, how to open this one. I think it’s fair to say that so far this season the team as a whole has underperformed, they have 4 very strong and very fast drivers, with @FTW XtremeStorm so far boosting their weekly scores up. As it stands, they are in a close battle with McLaren just behind them, as well as Aston Martin at the top. But in order to catch Aston Martin, the remaining 3 drivers aside from storm are probably have to step their game up. @Dejaeger22 conceded some penalty points this week after it was deemed by the stewards that he had caused a collision at Turn 1 on the opening lap at Sakitto last week, and @LONEST4R BK messed up his chances of a podium due to an error in strategy. Whilst @Paclik46 once again didn't race. These are mistakes which could cost them that title, especially with the midfield being as competitive as it is.

Onto RUF! As a team that were so competitive in Season 1, performances have certainly dropped so far in Season 2. Both drivers failed to make the race last-time out and between them have only scored 34 points, sitting behind two of the independent teams. In the ideal world they should be in 4th just behind McLaren, but so far they haven’t been able to capitalise on their car number advantage. Hopefully we will see them return to the grid this week in Spain.

Aston Martin are so far stealing the show. After being pretty much non-existent in season 1, they find themselves leading the manufacturers championship after 4 rounds. They have won the previous 3 races, been on pole in every round and have had drivers in the top 5 scoring really strong points. The result last week potentially could have been very different if Adam Tierney had managed to make it to the grid, as well as @Rearwing . Aston Martin look set to take the title so far, but the second half of the season may be a different story.

Finally, to the lone BMW M3 and @Orange Tiger NL . As I’ve been stating throughout this preview, this week we will truly see what the Dutchman is capable of. According to my sources, his car is now at least 1 second faster than it was previously, and if that’s anything to go by we might see him challenge for victories on a regular basis, perhaps even start to dominate. But let’s not get too ahead of ourselves, this week is still going to be a challenge for them, around a circuit which a lot of the field enjoys and will more than likely be very fast at.

I think this week will be the closest race we have had to date and it’s going to be really difficult to call a top 5. With my track-record not being so great so far I need to start getting some guesses right, so here is my Top 5 and pole position prediction.

Pole: @Adam Tierney
1: @FTW ShadowDemon
2: @Adam Tierney
3: @Devastation
4: @FTW XtremeStorm
5: @The Genius

*Obviously I know some of you couldn't make the race, I write it like this to make it all a little more authentic, so please don't be offended by anything I've wrote.

I'm still in your top 5? That means that I will be outside it again.:banghead:

;)
[DOUBLEPOST=1441113491][/DOUBLEPOST]@Smithycity99 :shifty:

Reactions: CallumBCFC19

AOR Midg3t

1x iRacing Endurance League Champion
Jan 14, 2014
I can now say being released from hospital just yesterday. That I will be making the race on Wednesday Evening with hopes of bringing back a top 5 finish again, and I can honesty say I'm looking strong on qualy pace and I think I have a good strategy sorted out for tomorrow night. So I'll see you all there, hopefully without any lag issues and also hopefully without leaving in the back of a ambulance :)

• Funny
Reactions: FTW DarkSoul

Joe XD

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 8, 2014

Hello everyone!

You join me from the paddock of the Circuit de Catalunya and it's only been 24 hours since @Orange Tiger NL took his maiden victory of the season. He was closely followed by @Smithycity99 in the McLaren, which was the first Mclaren podium since @Joe XD finished third in Hockenhiem. Finally coming home in 3rd place, the pole sitter @Dejaeger22 .

It was a closely fought battle for victory, with the top 2 crossing the line just one second apart.

First though, let's start with

Good to see you back on the podium! Although, this is potentially a disappointing result. You qualified on pole and lead the majority of the race - but just couldn't covert it to your second win of the season. Are you frustrated in any way? Talk us through your race.

I was very pleased to get pole! The track suits my car and driving style perfectly. I was nervous at the start, because my starts aren't particularly good. But this time it came around well and I was leading going into turn 1. From that point it was all about consistency, which I managed to do very well. At lap 15 I went into the pits, leading the cars behind by around 35 seconds. It was a strange pit-stop, because my pit-stop time was so short! I came back on track and noticed my tires weren't changed! (Apparently I forgot to change my tires) So, next lap I pitted for fresh tires, but my lead was long gone. At that time I was in 5th position. From that moment I pushed like hell, but in doing so, I made a couple of mistakes where I lost the back end. At one point I was 30 seconds behind the leading group. Around lap 20, I found my rhythm back and started to close on the leaders. At the end, I was 15 seconds short of first place. I was disappointed, because it's not the first stupid mistake I made this season.

Your BMW certainly is a car which suits the high-speed track of Monza, which we head to in the next round. You are definitely back with the front runners now after a rocky few weeks, is next week going to be an easy one?

First of all, I don't think my car is that fast in a strait line, but I'll do whatever I can with the setup to make it go fast! I expect the mercs and astons to be at the front.

Despite your good result, it wasn't a brilliant week for your team. With @FTW XtremeStorm finishing down in 7th (the first time he's been off the podium this season), @LONEST4R BK coming home in 12th and @Paclik46 yet again failing to show. If these kind of results continue can you challenge Aston Martin and potentially McLaren for the manufacturers title?

We all were unlucky at Catalunya, which leads to this kind of results. But overall I think our team is strong and surely we want to give the others a hard time. The BMW Z4 is capable in doing so, but it's not the easiest car to drive fast!

Next, let's talk to

Well, Smithy, you're certainly a different driver than last season. Coming from the Semi-Pro league you've shown everyone in the league above how fast you can be, and this week you made the podium. Talk us through it.

Well,the battle for the lead was very tense with me and tiger changing positions throughout the last ten laps but unfortunately a couple of stupid mistakes lost me the win. However, with a lot of the top drivers having problems I was quite lucky, but I will take what I get at this stage in the season.
Next week is Monza, and although very simple it's also one of the trickiest circuits we'll come to this season due to it's hard braking zones and chicanes. Do you think you'll be up at the top again next week?

As long as I keep it consistent without any major mistakes I think I have a good chance at the top 5 and obviously a bit of luck would be helpful if I want to be up their again. However, in as long as I don't have a crash at turn 1 I should be good because it is going to be very tight with these GT3s to go two wide so hopefully everyone respects each other and we get a clean start.
You are starting to emerge as the lead driver in the McLaren team, with @Joe XD and @Wizard struggling since the opening round. Along with them and @t3hmightymidg3t is it possible this team are in contention of the manufacturers title?

If Joe and Wizard can sort out their niggling problems then I think the team can be a force to be reckoned with as well as midget needing to put more race practice in then I think we have a good chance of taking 2nd in the manufacturers.

Finally then, let's talk to our race winner, 'The Flying Dutchman'

Congrats on your first win of the season, you were tipped to be one of the surprise contenders for this race and you certainly showed everyone how good you really are. Can you talk us through your race?
Thank you, i really didn't expect it after qualifying 9th. I'm happy with my second podium, but this time i'm on the highest step. After patch 3.0, where they fixed the tire width of the BMW M3 i was feeling confident on this track. But i still got a lot of bad memories on this track, but this was an amazing race.​
Qualified 9th, and decided to start on mediums. At the start at T1 there was a bit of a chaos. A driver spun of and was on the middle of the track, luckily i could avoid him and going into T2 i was 5th. The first couple of laps i heard from Smithy and Wizard that DeJaeger was running away. So i didn't expect the win at all. I was keeping up with the McLarens in front of me.​

After the pitstops we were with 4 cars battling for the lead. It was amazing!
Around lap 20 i overtook Smithy for the lead, couple of laps later i spun and Smithy was right on my back again, it was a bit of chaos because 2 lapped cars were between us. And i got a penalty after some chaos with those backmarkers.​
But i went on and was seeing i was catching Smithy again, when we were going on lap 30 on the straight we were side by side going into the last lap. I took the lead in T1 and didn't give it away anymore.​
Next week is Monza, and although very simple it's also one of the trickiest circuits we'll come to this season due to it's hard braking zones and chicanes. Do you think you'll be up at the top again next week?
There are some really quick guys in our tier, so i can only do my best and try to keep up for the championship.​
You are now within 10 points of the championship lead, pretty amazing considering before this week you were in a handicapped car. Would you say that this result is only due to the upgrades you received, or was Catalunya just your circuit?
Catalunya is definitely not my circuit :p I think i found some pace and consistency on Catalunya. Which I didn't expect. I hope i did show the people the car isn't handicapped anymore ;) Well it actually never was handicapped, a second place in Hockenheim can confirm that i guess :p

Thank you everyone for reading, and well done to the podium sitters, this championship is certainly getting close!

Joe XD

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 8, 2014
Quick announcement guys:

- There won't be a preview this week, I simply don't have the time as I'm working as many hours as I can at work (many monies) until I'm back at Uni in a couple of weeks

- However, there will be a race review to compensate, on top of podium interviews.

- To give you something to read before tomorrow's race though will be a short article coming just before the race.

I hope you understand and thanks everyone.

The Genius

Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Premium Member
Sep 30, 2014
Quick announcement guys:

- There won't be a preview this week, I simply don't have the time as I'm working as many hours as I can at work (many monies) until I'm back at Uni in a couple of weeks

- However, there will be a race review to compensate, on top of podium interviews.

- To give you something to read before tomorrow's race though will be a short article coming just before the race.

I hope you understand and thanks everyone.
:(

Wizard

1-time AOR XB1 GT3 Pro Champion
Mar 20, 2014
don't worry Joe ;)
I can't wait your next Press Area ;)

The Genius

Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Premium Member
Sep 30, 2014
As @Joe XD gossip reporter I found out that @blizzardwizard is gonna face the stewards this evening. At the moment we don't know why but we know the supreme man himself, @FisiFan91 , has called him in for a hearing.
We will give you more news later tonight.

Back to you Joe.

Reactions: FTW DarkSoul

The Genius

Staff member
DiRT Coordinator
Premium Member
Sep 30, 2014
As soon @FTW XtremeStorm is removing his rating of my last post here I will announce what happend to Blizzard.