XB1 - The Press Area | ApexOnlineRacing.com

XB1 The Press Area

Joe XD

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 8, 2014

No press this week gents, apologies, wasn't intentional in the slightest. Will return with the Sonoma Preview next week. Joe.​

Last edited:

Joe XD

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 8, 2014
Sonoma Preview will be coming at some point tomorrow :) - podium interviews to be included in this edition.

Reactions: The Genius

Joe XD

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 8, 2014

Hello everyone and Welcome to the Race Preview for Round 7 of the AOR GT3 Pro Championship.

This week, the countdown starts to the final race of the season, and where every result leading up to it is vital to anyone looking to win the championship. If you drop points now, there’s not a lot of time to make them back again.

After @The Genius took the win last-time-out at the incredible and historic circuit of Monza, his rivals @FTW ShadowDemon and @FTW XtremeStorm have certainly got some competition for that title, with just 13 points in it - one disconnect, one crash, one mistake, could cost any of them the title - and there after plenty of other drivers such as @Orange Tiger NL and @Adam Tierney waiting to capitalize on those mistakes and make their way (back) up to the top. Luck is really going to play a significant part in these remaining races.

I went and spoke to the race winner Genius, Second place man Shadow Demon and finally Adam Tierney about their races last week. It was the first manufacturers podium lockout of the season, with all 3 of the Aston Martin drivers coming away with maximum points for their teams.

Well, you were tipped as being one of the fastest this week and that tip certainly paid off. Congrats on your first win. Talk us through your race!

Thank you! This is a win that I have been waiting for but it was hard fought. I qualified 3rd on the grid which was my best result in qualifying this season but I had a slow launch off the line that saw me in P6 after turn 1 and 2. After that I had a couple of messy laps fighting back to P3 and that lost me some time and my team mate ShadowDemon got away from the rest of us. Then I had Midget behind me for many laps and my other teammate Adam in front of me till they both pitted. Eventually even Shadow pitted which gave me the lead of the race. Shadow caught me up on his fresh tyres at lap 21 and then he ran wide when he tried to overtake me and lost a couple of seconds. He was again at my rear at lap 27 and we where side by side going into the first chicane at lap 29 there he took the lead and I thought that it was over. But when he later cut the corner that lap and had to slow down I took my chance and I took the lead back and defended like mad the last lap of the race and I got the win with just 1 tenth of a second ahead of my team mate. The last laps of this race my heart beated sooooo much but I think I won this race by looking after my tyres very well and of course the fact that I didn't spin was to a big help!

You are now second in the championship, just 12 points short of the leader, your team-mate shadow. With only a few more rounds to go what is your plan of action in the remaining races?

As you said I am only 12 points behind the lead and as long the title is in reach I will fight for it. Shadow is very quick and it will be difficult to beat him but as long there is a chance I will fight him.

We are off to the States next week to drive the Sonoma Circuit, a very popular track. It's tricky though, so once again consistency truly is going to play a major role in this race. What are you expecting from this race?

It's a very different circuit to Monza so I guess that our car won't be as good as it was last time in Italy but it is definitely a very fun circuit that is very hard to overtake at in my opinion so I think qualifying is gonna be very important but I still hope to score some good points there and try to beat Shadow, but it will be a lot harder to spot Shadow there in the dark!

Genius with the poorest joke ever known to man there, let’s talk to the invisible man next:

After a disappointing non-finish at Catalunya,this week you are back on the podium to extend your lead at the top of the championship. Talk us through your race.

My race was pretty straight forward I got a clean start and my lap times were consistent. I did my pit stop came out behind genius and pushed to get back past. I made little mistakes and lost time on genius at the end but finished right behind him.

12 points clear at the top, that championship title is closing in fast. But 12 points isn't a big gap at all - can you extend that lead in such a competitive field?

It's good to be at the top but 12 points isn't a lot and I will continue to keep racing how I am to get as many points as possible.

Sonoma is next, hard on the tyres and one of the more technical tracks on the calendar. How confident are you feeling going into this one?Do you think anyone can potentially spring a surprise?

It's not going to be easy in the Aston but I will do as best as I can. I think there is a few people who could spring a surprise in this one.

Next up, Adam Tierney.

Back on the podium after a poor run of results, must feel great to be back in the hunt for the title! Talk us through your race at Monza.

It felt great to be back on the podium after a few races off but secretly I was hoping for higher. Being in the Aston was a big advantage at Monza and with a setup concentrated on straight line speed I was hoping for more. But a podium is a podium and hopefully I will get more in the next few races. As for the race itself, I got a good start and managed to make up a place to 3rd after turn one but then I got locked into a battle with midget and lost a lot of time to shadow. After that I couldn't make up the time lost and actually lost even more time to him. Doing no stops was definitely the better strategy and well done to Genius for making it work and getting the win.

Your team are now 50 points clear at the top to the BMWs - in your opinion is the manufacturer's wrapped up now?

I don't think the lead in the manufacturer's championship is quite comfortable yet, after another good race or 2 like this then the championship will be done but the next track may suit the BMW's well so they may be able to claw some points back. I am confident that we will win the championship but anything can happen in the final few races of the season.

Sonoma is next, hard on the tyres and one of the more technical tracks on the calendar. How confident are you feeling going into this one? Do you think anyone can potentially spring a surprise?

I think it's good that the next track is hard on tyres because I've stopped at almost every race this season so it means no one will be able to get an advantage over me by no stopping like Genius did last race. I'm confident going into this race because I like the track and I like the challenge of the elevation changes and tricky braking zones. I think xtreme storm may have something up his sleeve for this one.

Finally, a quick question for all of you: You are the first team to secure a podium lockout this season, were team orders involved to secure this result?

Adam: Nope, there were no team orders and the best man, on the day, won the race.

Shadow: I really happy we got a podium lock out but there were no team orders involved that I know off.

Genius: Yeah it was amazing for the team to have this podium lockout. The team has really giving us a great car this season so it was amazing to give something back to them, all the hard working people here and home at the factory! About team orders, there is no team orders. We have a great car and we are three very fast drivers so we don't need any team orders to manage this kind of results.

This week we are back in the States and the Californian Circuit, Sonoma Raceway.

This 19-turn, 4km circuit situated in the hills of Sears Point, Sonoma, California, plays host to round 7 of our championship, and our final night race of the season.

Not only is this quite possibly the hardest circuits to master because of its tight, sometimes blind and fast apexes - half of the track will be covered in darkness, so practice here is perhaps far more important than it normally would be. Aston Martin driver Genius is tipping us that a high-qualifying position will be vital to anyone’s race here if they want to be within a chance to win. This is due to not very many overtaking opportunities on circuit - as we found out in pre-race testing earlier this week that is indeed the case, with the McLaren of Joe XD being stuck behind the leader for the majority of the race, despite being much faster in some of the sections.

Strategy, as always, is going to play a major role in the story of this one. At Monza the Aston Martin driver won the race after choosing not to stop for fresh tyres - he’ll be looking to do the same here. Is it possible though? With so many opportunities to drift, lock up and spin - this track is perhaps the heaviest on tyre wear: but, the cooler night conditions could open up more doors as far as the strategy is concerned as they won’t overheat as much. We have had reports that some of the cars will be running with a mix of tyre compounds, so whilst that will be trickier to keep the car on track it may be the way to go for those not looking to pit.

Let’s take a quick look at the track with an early on-board lap with the McLaren of Joe XD, who is looking to bounce back this week after a couple of unfortunate circumstances leading to retirement. *This is an early lap, and isn't fast in the slightest :p

Here are the 3 corners I think are going tom define the race this week:

Turn 1 - Perhaps the most famous corner of any American Circuit - A fast up-hill and blind apex leading into an off-camber turns 2 and 3. There is so much the drivers will have to deal with here, especially on the opening lap, watch out for the tyre barrier just under the bridge on the inside of this corner - it may cause trouble for those not paying attention as it completely cuts off a segment of the track - and in the dark it’s completely invisible.

Turn 6 - Known as the Carousel - this downhill left hander provides the drivers with the most challenging braking zone on the circuit, as it comes very quickly after a steep crest just after a flat out uphill segment. Brake too early, you’ll loose all the speed you have going onto the main straight, brake on the peak of the crest and you’ll spin, brake too late you’ll run wide into the sand. Should be an interesting corner for those drivers involved in battles.

Turn 10 - A fast right hander just after the quick segment of turns 7,8 and 9 - time will be gained or lost here, no in-between. With a horrible kerb on the inside, and only a short run-off, we may see a few of the drivers having issues here.

The One-to-watch: @The Genius

After his fantastic performance last time out to take his first AOR win, I’ll be tipping him to do it again this week. He is one of the only drivers in the field to attempt no-stop strategies, and if he manages it again this week - well, we might have a new championship leader.

The dark-horse:

@t3hmightymidg3t /Joe XD. I’ll have to share this one between the two McLaren boys, whilst potentially not capable of taking the win - their pace is looking very strong for this one, both have put in plenty of practice and will be hoping for a good result this week.

The Top 5s - here are my predictions for the top 5 this week. I also asked the podium guys for their top 5. Hope you enjoyed the read guys!
  1. The Genius​
  2. Shadow Demon
  3. Mightymidget
  4. Joe XD
  5. Adam Tierney
Genius’ Top 5:
  1. Adam Tierney
  2. The Genius
  3. ShadowDemon
  4. XtremeStorm
  5. Devastation
Shadow’s Top 5:
  1. Xtremestorm
  2. Dejager
  3. Shadow Demon
  4. Adam Tierney
  5. MightyMidget
Adam’s Top 5:
  1. Xtremestorm
  2. Adam Tierney
  3. Shadow Demon
  4. Dejager
  5. Mightymidget

FTW DarkSoul

Formula 4 2nd Driver
Aug 10, 2015
To be perfectly honest I didn't expect to be in the top 5 predictions after a few shakey track and disappointing results

Joe XD

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 8, 2014
Future of Press

I've had a couple of people ask me what is going on with press after the GT3 leagues finish, just want to let you know what's happening at this stage.

I won't be competing in the next season - so there won't be any articles from me covering anything in the league. I'm going to be turning all of my attention to Forza.

However, I'm currently in the process of trying to get 'Press' as an official role on AOR, so people can apply to write for their league/platform etc. This is in the very early stages though and may not happen. I can update you about this when I know more.

Basically, for the time being press won't be a thing for the GT3 Pro Div next season - from me anyways... Press will be continuing for the rest of the current season though (as much as I hate this game :p)!

Dejaeger22

Formula 4 Test Driver
Aug 1, 2015
Future of Press

I've had a couple of people ask me what is going on with press after the GT3 leagues finish, just want to let you know what's happening at this stage.

I won't be competing in the next season - so there won't be any articles from me covering anything in the league. I'm going to be turning all of my attention to Forza.

However, I'm currently in the process of trying to get 'Press' as an official role on AOR, so people can apply to write for their league/platform etc. This is in the very early stages though and may not happen. I can update you about this when I know more.

Basically, for the time being press won't be a thing for the GT3 Pro Div next season - from me anyways... Press will be continuing for the rest of the current season though (as much as I hate this game :p)!
I guess I'll see you in Forza! :p

Reactions: Joe XD

Joe XD

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 8, 2014
Is forza that good?
That a serious question :p? Put it this way, closer races (see the finish between me stevie and tiger), no frame rate drops, and so far online works. Create your own liveries (see below) and a far better replay system. I could go on.. :D

AOR Midg3t

1x iRacing Endurance League Champion
Jan 14, 2014
is everyone gonna go to Forza then?
when this season is done..possibly, because Forza has something new to offer us, it may not have as many tracks as Project Cars, but it offers...customization on different cars, probably a better online experience, and a better singleplayer mode too. we'll all still come back onto Project Cars for Season 3 (maybe)

Joe XD

Formula 4 1st Driver
Aug 8, 2014
The only thing that lets Forza down is track selection, still more than Forza 5 though.

In terms of that list though that you just mentioned its all in there. Project Cars would be a great game if it was optimised correctly and given dedicated servers.

Rick O Matic

Formula Karter
Jun 7, 2015
Anyone know how to change wheel sensitivity…..I can't change the setting at the bottom in wheel settings.

Oh and whats Logitech like? i ve been looking at the 920 cos need a decent wheel soon.