The Rules of Racing [F1Metrics Blog] | ApexOnlineRacing.com

The Rules of Racing [F1Metrics Blog]

LucaV GPFun

Pro Karter
Sep 6, 2018
Probably worth mentioning that the "one move is ok" rule does not apply in iRacing.

In iRacing the only thing that matters is blocking: even a single move is illegal if it is done in reaction.
Conversely, multiple moves are not illegal if prehemptive and if they do not hinder the movement of the car behind.

lukebarton

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 6, 2017
Probably worth mentioning that the "one move is ok" rule does not apply in iRacing.

In iRacing the only thing that matters is blocking: even a single move is illegal if it is done in reaction.
Conversely, multiple moves are not illegal if prehemptive and if they do not hinder the movement of the car behind.
As far as I have observed, one should be careful out there. It was tough in my first few seasons, but it's better now. I got cut up a lot (honestly, I can't tell you how many people I rear ended pulling out to overtake and having them move over on me) early on but I haven't really had an issue with it in a while - that said, I attack slightly differently now, expecting people to push the rules -- I think it's a natural reaction to steer toward someone trying to overtake, especially when you've been watching them gaining under draft in your mirrors - and it's wise to give them space for that to happen - but it doesn't mean it's legal or generally acceptable.

Last edited:

lukebarton

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 6, 2017
This thread has a clarification:

What you're all saying is correct:

1. You can make "one move" down a straight in order to pick your line because you're expecting a car behind to attack.
2. You can not make a move to "block" the car behind when he is close enough for this to be dangerous, or he has already moved to start the overtaking attempt.
https://apexonlineracing.com/community/threads/please-can-you-clarify-the-rules-around-blocking.29527/

However, it's worth mentioning that I've never seen someone penalised for moving in reaction to an overtake that _didn't_ end in a collision.

Last edited:

LucaV GPFun

Pro Karter
Sep 6, 2018
However, it's worth mentioning that I've never seen someone penalised for moving in reaction to an overtake that _didn't_ end in a collision.
Are you talking about AOR or iRacing?
In iRacing it did happen. We had Nim clarify a situation after somebody on the forum was insisting that blocking was not illegal and that he would have kept doing that.

McPhilen

iRacing Leagues Main Overseer
Staff member
iRacing Coordinator
Jan 16, 2014
I remember reading this when it came out. It's certainly a good read, although there were things in here that I feel like sometimes you don't see, especially with 5. A lot of the time, if a car on the inside gets slightly alongside far before braking zone, even if it's not halfway alongside, they are typically given room, even though it's not necessary for the car on the outside to do so. Usually done because it avoids an incident, because usually if a car has a nose alongside that means they'll go for the move, even if they don't make it to half way alongside at the apex.

3. is an interesting one, as we actually did have a case of that at Nurburgring just last week (albeit not quite the same), and I remember thinking at the time that the driver ahead can dictate the line, to the point where they can move a car over so long as it doesn't squeeze them off the track (essentially a less aggressive version of Schumacher v Barrichello at Hungary 2010 (which is mentioned)). But this is interesting, as it means if a defending car moves to the inside to defend, but leaves enough space for the car behind to get further on the inside, the defending car can hold that line and even if the attacking car gets slightly ahead, can't move towards the outside. As the article states though, it is typical for a car to react to the movement of one car which is what usually causes what looks like the car ahead pushing the car behind towards the edge of the track.

As for 2. I have always wondered. If a car is defending, and makes their one move, but then the car behind decides to back out, does that mean they are no longer either defending or weaving to break the tow, and so are allowed to return to the racing line? I've always assumed that this was the case, but there isn't really a point about it in here (I suppose there wouldn't be, as it could be said that it isn't racing at that point, so would be misplaced in the 'rules of racing').

For this, it's usually because any move made like this that doesn't result in an actual incident/collision isn't brought up to the stewards, so we can't really rule on it. Although if you could point me to an incident where that is the case, I'd like to take a look at it again (although, it's unlikely the video would be available).

lukebarton

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 6, 2017
For this, it's usually because any move made like this that doesn't result in an actual incident/collision isn't brought up to the stewards, so we can't really rule on it. Although if you could point me to an incident where that is the case, I'd like to take a look at it again (although, it's unlikely the video would be available).
Yeah, this is what I was saying - just because it's not pointed out to stewards doesn't mean it doesn't happen but it's covered by the unwritten give-and-take that we race here in AOR -- as long as you don't take the **** or cause an incident then everyone seems happy to let little things go.