PC - Tier 2 Starting procedure | ApexOnlineRacing.com

PC Tier 2 Starting procedure

Which start procedure would you like to use?

• The AOR start

• The in-game "widget" CP race-style start

• Fully manual in-game start (Porsche Cup, endurance races)

Results are only viewable after voting.

krop

ACC Coordinator
Staff member
ACC Coordinator
Jul 25, 2018
We try to stay flexible in AOR and adapt when needed. With the changes in ACC's formation lap system, it is an option for the remaining season. In T2 we would need a majority of racers to want a change.

Simple vote, keep the AOR Formation Lap or change to the ACC in game system?

With the in game system you can get Drive Through (DT) from the starting procedure. We will not clear it, nor will you be able to submit a stewards review of the DT. It happens mostly when you don't do what you are supposed to do - there are on-screen widgets to help you with positioning your car on the correct lane etc.

If you don't know what the official in-game starting procedure looks like, turn up to one of the official CP races that run each day. The "Hivemind #2" public server (75SA + 3TM requirements) is also running said formation lap. We will also check it out during the Sunday/Monday practice races.

Kunos Simulazioni said:
Guidelines:
- In "Single file" phase, player must follow the target widget, it should be relaxed enough to allow for warming up tyres and brakes.
Being out of target by significant margins results in teleport to pits.
- In "Double file" phase, players should find their target position as soon as possible and hold speed and side once there.
- In "Pre-green" phase (when the speed delta appears), players must lock their speed to the delta.
Speeding or moving out of lateral and longitudinal position during the pre-green phase grants a penalty based on severity.
The system works on a protect-the-innocent basis, the player can ignore what other cars are doing around them, the important thing to pay attention to is their own position and speed.
Collisions are disabled during the formation lap and regained once any overlap is ended.
Tags:

Reactions: jura

Narley

Formula 4 Test Driver
Dec 30, 2018
Good evening Krop and fellow T2 Racers,

my point of view:
- Remain with the current AOR Formation lap procedure.

Wishing you all a pleasant evening.

Shooter80

ACC Coordinator
Staff member
ACC Coordinator
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2017
Just some pro's and con's from my experience of both starts:

ACC Start (widget)
Pros:

- Everyone if forced to start in the correct position, or get a DT
- Everyone should be spaced evenly out for the start, and further so than the AOR start
- Everyone hits the throttle at the same time, so people can't jump other cars unless the other car messes up the start
- Cars are ghosted so one person doing something stupid can't directly screw up someones race
- It is the same way CP servers, and most public servers are ran, and is part of the game

Cons:
- Everyone hits the throttle at the same time, so everyone should usually arrive at T1 in as tight a pack as they were when it went green
- Cars are ghosted so cars could in theory enter T1 inside each other (one would get a DT though) and when they are unghosted when they stop overlapping they will be mm apart
- The UI is arguably annoying, especially so in VR

AOR Start
Pros:

- Everyone gets to full throttle later than the cars ahead, so people are more spread out by turn 1 (for every 5 rows back from the leader, people get on the throttle about 1 second later).
- It has flexibility in case someone get teleported to the pits, has to reload to the grid, or spins during the formation lap.
- Its manual, so arguably a little more 'sim' (although not going on green isn't terribly accurate to real life)

Cons:
- People try to anticipate when the leaders will go, if all goes well they can jump 3 or 4 places compared to others who followed the intent of the rules to the letter.
- People try to anticipate when the leaders will go, often badly, which causes people to speed up and slow down in formation and catching out the cars behind.
- Its manual, all the cars are close, so if one person makes an inexplicable mistake it can badly effect others.
- Its hard to keep track of if you are in the correct position, and can be confusing which side you should be on if cars drop out or spin.
- AOR start reduces the actual race time by 3 to 4 mins

Last edited:

JKay14

AOR ACC S3 Tier 2 Champion
Jun 5, 2018
I wouldn’t be against trying an alternative starting procedure. I think a lot of incidents are caused from people trying to second guess when the leaders are going.

We’ve been having this discussion for a number of seasons now which suggests something isn’t quite right... and yet we stick with the same procedure each time!

Oblit0r

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jan 10, 2018
When is the deadline? I have changed my vote to the third option, but in case it will be a tie between AOR and ACC start, I want to change back my vote to the AOR start in time :D

Why I think the ACC start isn't a good idea, is because it's too sensitive to DTs. In the video below, you can see Voodoo getting a DT because the second before the lights go green, he's a slight bit too far on the right (barely in the middle of the road) and instantly he receives a DT.
Imagine being at the back of the grid at Zolder, the lights go green and you're still in the final chicane and your line isn't exactly as the game wants it to be and you receive a DT. Or getting a DT at Spa for stuff like you can see in the video, instantly over a minute lost having to travel through the pitlane. Race is ruined, and you will most likely have to do hotlaps the rest of the race.

Add to this the fact that DTs won't be cleared and you won't be able to fight them with the stewards.

I've voted for the third option because you get the best of both worlds. No DTs, no confusion for people when to go because you will just go on green. Yes, people can still hit eachother, but this is league racing not random public lobbies racing, don't understand why people hit eachother in the first place.
Also, time won't be reduced at all using this method.

Vanders

Formula 4 1st Driver
May 7, 2018
I think the full formation lap is important because it lets you warm up brakes and tyres. Everyone turning up at T1 stone cold is just as liable to cause issues as the current system, so changed to the third option.

Also @krop, I'd be equally happy keeping the AOR start and I wonder if having a third option on this poll might split the vote for those in favour of a formation lap? Might skew the result slightly.

Oblit0r

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jan 10, 2018
Maybe first a vote between AOR start and ACC start. Then, in case AOR start wins, another vote between the 2 options?

krop

ACC Coordinator
Staff member
ACC Coordinator
Jul 25, 2018
We are still talking about a full formation lap, not a short one, so tire warming isn't an issue.

The problem I want to solve is to use an in-game procedure where the game knows we are actually forming up. We have already found one potential issue with the AOR start because technically it's done under green flag. This can cause an issue with very harsh penalties for off tracks during the first lap of the race because of the way the game calculates off track penalties.

Plus, to me it's a bit anti-climatic when the green flag is waved but there's literally nothing happening, but maybe that's just me. :(

Vanders

Formula 4 1st Driver
May 7, 2018
We are still talking about a full formation lap, not a short one, so tire warming isn't an issue.

The problem I want to solve is to use an in-game procedure where the game knows we are actually forming up. We have already found one potential issue with the AOR start because technically it's done under green flag. This can cause an issue with very harsh penalties for off tracks during the first lap of the race because of the way the game calculates off track penalties.

Plus, to me it's a bit anti-climatic when the green flag is waved but there's literally nothing happening, but maybe that's just me. :(
Ah, I see. Well, I'd probably still go for the third option then as it seems the least likely to result in unwarranted penalties.

Oblit0r

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jan 10, 2018

Option 3 kinda solves that.

T.Kexel

Semi-Pro Karter
Jan 31, 2020
What is exactly the Diffrent between the 3 Option and the AOR Start?

bye the way, in the video he is totaly out of line, with more than 2/3 of his car, so it is totaly his fall. I got over 50 races without one penalty, and 2 races were big grids from behind. If you know the roles , you now what you have to do to be save. If you try to push it, it is your own fall, so the penalty is than deserved.

Last edited:
Reactions: JKay14

krop

ACC Coordinator
Staff member
ACC Coordinator
Jul 25, 2018
Option 3 would mean starting on green before running a lap which the game treats as a formation lap and therefore freezes the race timer until the race starts. It's the old in-game formation lap except we'd turn off the weird "speed limiter" and there is no widget.

This would be the best solution for our league I believe, as the game wouldn't interfere in our formation procedure at all. It would only signal the race start for us. This also avoids most technical problems with the AOR start.

JKay14

AOR ACC S3 Tier 2 Champion
Jun 5, 2018
Option 3 would mean starting on green before running a lap which the game treats as a formation lap and therefore freezes the race timer until the race starts. It's the old in-game formation lap except we'd turn off the weird "speed limiter" and there is no widget.

This would be the best solution for our league I believe, as the game wouldn't interfere in our formation procedure at all. It would only signal the race start for us. This also avoids most technical problems with the AOR start.
Yes! Let’s have this one please

Reactions: Vanders

krop

ACC Coordinator
Staff member
ACC Coordinator
Jul 25, 2018
I made a bit of a mess of this :/ I'll redo the vote back home.

SlowLarry

Semi-Pro Karter
Jan 17, 2020
Im in for Option 3. I generally think that its best to have a reference from the game about the start of the race. Its difficult to figure out whats going on if you are in the middle of the pack.