Which track to use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Former S-Mod
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
Hello all!

Another awesome season comes to a closure, and I feel, we should have a week 11 race, a fun send-off after a great season.

Who would be available for such a race?

My idea (and it's up to debate, and your feedback):
1. A legendary track (see vote)
2. You're not allowed to race the same car you used in the season (Ferrari remains banned)
3. let's make it 90min
4. reverse championship grid
5. reduced damage, so everyone can finish (e.g. performance impacting)

What do you guys think?

Reactions: DiHeidi

Stephan

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
As for tracks, I propose Bathurst, because it's epic.
Everytime I race at Bathurst, my excitement goes through the roof.
It's so awesome to chase up the mountain, in terror of the walls, tip toe down the mountain and floor it down comrod straight and hope to pass someone or prevent someone from getting by, only to repeat it again.
In my opinion, it's the best GT racing track ever made.

I mean, just look at that:

@GIXXERosg recommended Road America, where I have to agree, it's a great track! (you may state your case)

• Agree
Reactions: jaycoool and Marvin

Stephan

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
adding, @GIXXERosg suggested also switching to GTEs, which are an awesome category of cars. Lacking ABS while being a lot faster, I feel, we should not hop into those for a "round 11" but stick to GT3s.
We can however, do GTE races at other occasions?

GIXXERosg

AOR PC GT3 S12 T4 Champion
Premium Member
Jul 9, 2016
Bathurst is a fun track but 90 mins worth with switching cars? IDK about that....

Gwegwyn

GP2 Reserve Driver
Mar 13, 2017
So it's going to be Bathurst at night in the snow with full damage and forced cockpit view?

All jokes aside, I wish we had Mosport Park, Road Atlanta and Sebring in the game. Those are epic tracks as well. With Bathurst the NA cars will have a tough race, since the track is at pretty high altitude. Road America is very much a power track, so I excpect power cars to dominate there, with for example the Ginetta to almost have no chance to win. What about tracks like Cadwell Park (just for fun), CotA, Laguna Seca, Long Beach, Oschersleben, Oulton, Zuhai, Zolder?
I know those are not as epic as Bathurst, but for me an event like this should be about fun, where people use cars they normaly never would. For me the fun "dies" when everybody goes for an AMG at RA, simply because "POWER". Or everybody goes for an Audi at Bathurst, because it has a Turbo.

Anyway, if I have to choose between Bathurst or RA, I choose Bathurst.

Happyal27

AOR PC GT3 S11 Tier 4 Champion
Feb 24, 2018
I've never race on new Monza or new Spa, I would would love to try these tracks too.

Gwegwyn

GP2 Reserve Driver
Mar 13, 2017
@Nagrom My bad. I refuse to use the more “OP” cars, so I don’t rightly know which have turbos and which don’t =p But I think you get the general point I’m talking about.

• Agree
Reactions: Nagrom and Stephan

Stephan

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
I just love Bathurst but we can run something more balanced too. It’s all up to you guys :)

GIXXERosg

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2016
I'm changing my opinion on all of it.... GT5's with a @VoodooChild setup that we all use, and pick the track. At this point a default setup would suck and Voodoo is always willing to share and 100% can be trusted.

@Gwegwyn had some VERY good points

OR GTE's all same car and same tune......

GIXXERosg

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2016
and no I only rigged the RA poll by one by bringing Ringman into it lol.... they guy is from Canada and comes down for the IMSA races btw!

Reactions: ringman

Gwegwyn

GP2 Reserve Driver
Mar 13, 2017
There doesn't seems to be a lot of interest in an extra race within this tier. We only have 8 votes so far.

@GIXXERosg I am not a fan of GT5's. Going through them in career was enough for me to never use them again. I do not think it would be a good idea to select only one car within a class. For example, if we would use GTE's and we go for the BMW M6, then I already know I am not going to enjoy the race. I simply cannot work with the narrow (optimum) powerband of the M6. And I guess the same goes for other combination of other cars & drivers.

I think the main problem we encounter with events like this is the horrible BoP. There will always be cars that are faster than others, but we have no option in the lobby to equalize the BoP. Therefore people will most likely go for the car(s) that will give them the best chance of winning (eventhough there is nothing to be gained for a championship).

I almost feel like it is not worth the effort to create an extra fun event with such a low respons (and the difficulties of track- and classselection).

Stephan

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
we could open it up to all tiers (Tier 2 and 4 repeat a race though)?
But I'd really like to stick with GT3, as that's what we've been running the season :)

Thoughts?

Gwegwyn

GP2 Reserve Driver
Mar 13, 2017
Opening it up to all tiers would probably give us more racers, but also an even bigger difference in skill/pace. And it is still track dependant which cars will be selected. For the feedback thread I have counted all cars that have been selected for the GT3 league across all tiers on PC, and it is utterly ridiculous how many times the Audi (32%). AMG (19%) and Lambo (17%) have been selected compared to the other cars. For me it doesn't add anything to run a fun event when people who raced the Audi now go for the AMG or Lambo. Then you still have a field that is dominated with Audis, AMGs and Lambos. I wish people would be more experimental when it comes to car selection, but that's just me I guess =P

Ranno

AOR PCars PC Ginetta GT5 S1 T2 Champion
Feb 28, 2018
I would love to race with you guys at Bathurst, but my tier is rerunning round 4, so I can't.

Opening it up to all tiers would probably give us more racers, but also an even bigger difference in skill/pace.
Make it a team race? Everyone in T5 teams up with someone from a higher tier and only team result counts?