Unlapping myself | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Unlapping myself

Nagrom

Premium Member
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hi, I have a question regarding this:
Additionally, drivers may unlap themselves if they are quicker than the car ahead, but it should be done as to cost the car ahead as little time as possible. You could also ask over voice chat, the car ahead may realise you're quicker and let you go.
In Silverstone race, I had an issue where I was quite a lot faster than a car one lap ahead of me (I had fresh tires). However, he had more straight line speed than me, so it was quite difficult for me to overtake. He wouldn't lift on the straight to let me pass, and I couldn't get fully ahead of him before the next corner.

So my question is, am I allowed to fight into corners with him ? Sometimes I had enough speed to get my nose alongside his car, and I would have been able to launch an attack on the inside (not a divebomb), but I was afraid that he would ignore me as I am a back marker (remember the Verstappen/Ocon at brazilian GP ?).

Stevie

Former Super Mod
Premium Member
Aug 26, 2014
As it says, you can always ask over radio, even if it takes a couple of laps of asking. Maybe if you get a run, make your intentions clear. If you have the pace to pull away, I don't think they'll mind.

The difference between this and the Ocon/Verstappen issue is that due to the ways the Pirelli tyres work, the Force India on fresh tyres was quicker than the Red Bull on old tyres. As Verstappen's complaint was, that advantage would last for 5 laps at most, at which point the RB would have to re-lap that car.

Here, the tyres are quite durable, so you should (depending on driver - this is more a general way of looking at it rather than a specific one) be able to maintain better pace for longer and if you disappear down the road, they may be angry for a short amount of time but will get over it once you shoot off down the road.

A sudden divebomb won't be appreciated, but I'm sure most drivers will be aware if a lapped car is faster than them.

As the rule says, you may unlap yourself if you are quicker than the car ahead. Just be nice as you can with it, but you are certainly allowed to unlap yourself. I'd always advise asking on the radio, or setup a message through the defaults, so you can press #8 for example and it says 'I want to unlap myself car ahead' etc.

Ultimately it's always going to be a case by case basis, and I'd only encourage it if you know you can definitely be quicker. Silverstone particularly was a difficult track to overtake on, so it was harder than usual.

Nagrom

Premium Member
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hi Stevie,
thanks, I'll interpret your answer as "If I am unlapping myself doing an overtake, and the other car doesn't leave me space in the corner, he will be the one to blame"
Of course, I'm not talking about doing a divebomb or fighting for several corners etc... And I can understand that as every incident, it would be a case by case analysis.
I'll just use this as a general "rule", in case I'm significantly faster and can pull away after the overtake.

(I feel the need to say it again: I won't use this to justify an over agressive overtake)