Virtual Racing School - Academy - Fundamentals | ApexOnlineRacing.com

Virtual Racing School - Academy - Fundamentals

• ANNOUNCEMENT: The AOR iRacing leagues are back for another season! Sign-ups now open:
    AOR GTE League Season 7 - LINK
    AOR Formula 3 Championship Season 3 - LINK

Stephan

AOR iRacing GTE S3 AM Champion & Super Mod
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2016
I have introduced the virtual racing school in my previous post on getting started.

Picking up were we left in the previous post, let's continue going through the generic content of the VRS academy.

We'll look at 4 sections:
Welcome to season two of the VRS Academy — let’s dive into racing on a more technical level. We’ll start off with the traction circle, which is a key element used to understand the grip available from the tyres.
Grab a cup of coffee, or anything else you may need to stay awake. It's getting scientific and theoretical :)
The traction circle might be a dry read but it will help you understand the underlying physics of traction and what your tires can and can not do.
It will allow you to understand how to brake, steer and accelerate the car efficiently, instead of doing one after the other (as recommended to beginners).
Let’s apply the traction circle from 3.1 to the racing line, and combine it what we learned in 2.4, Driving Basics. Simply put, we want the tyres as close to the limit of grip as possible, and we want to carry the largest possible radius through a corner.
This is a very valuable section, diving into the racing line, approaching different types of corners and sequences of corners, entry vs. exit.
A fundamental skill required to drive around a race track as quickly as possible, along with following the optimal racing line, 3.2, is having the ability to carry the maximum speed on that line. This essentially boils down to one thing: car control.
This section talks about controlling the car on its limits and beyond.
Oversteer, Understeer, how to correct it and how to avoid the most common mistakes.

Having learned about the traction circle, the optimal racing line, and car control, the next chapter in this series looks at braking technique. Your brakes serve two purposes. The first is pretty obvious: to slow the car down. The second is more subtle, which is that brakes offer a method of controlling weight transfer and balance from corner entry to apex.
I personally found this section extremely valuable. I used to only brake in a straight line then turn in, no matter what kind of car I was sitting in.
While I still mostly do that (old habits die hard), I managed to significantly improve my lap times by applying the content of this post consciously, depending on the car I am in.
Front wheel drive, Rear wheel drive, low or high downforce cars all require a little bit of a different approach on braking.
This section introduces you to
  • Straight line threshold braking
  • Non-downforce cars
  • Downforce cars
  • ABS
  • Understanding threshold braking while steering
  • Trail braking
As with the learnings from my previous post, now get out on track and apply what you have learned :)

Feel free to continue by looking into other content on the VRS.

Last edited: