What do you think about my PC setting? | ApexOnlineRacing.com

What do you think about my PC setting?

Chechum

Formula 4 Test Driver
Oct 13, 2018
Hi! After many years playing with Playstation, finally I've decided to move to PC and take part of AOR leagues (PCars, Assetto...) for PC gamers :) Also, I may try iRacing.

After some time learning about PC gaming specs, I've configured my desired PC. My budget is 600-700€ (as cheap as possible within the range) and I want my new computer for sim racing (iRacing, Project Cars and Assetto, mainly). I don't want to use 3 screens or VR now but I may use one of these extras in a middle-term future (VR especially). I don't want to do overclock either. I haven't chosen a SSD because I've read SSD are faster just for charging the O.S., the games... but in the middle of the game it makes no difference over HDD because the data comes from the RAM. Is it right?
My first concern is if the motherboard is compatible with all the elements. Then I'd like to know if the other components are good enough for sim racing without VR/3 screens and, also, if they would be good for VR (I watched a video in Youtube with a 1050 Ti running well with a VR device). My setup (592€ because 45€ is for external mounting) is as shown in https://www.pccomponentes.com/configurador/Cc4731Aa8 :
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 Ghz
- Graphics card: Gygabyte GeForce GTX 1050 TI OC 4GB GDDR5
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 PC4-19200 16GB 2x8GB CL16
- Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
- Storing: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
- Power source: Nox Urano VX 650W 80+ Bronze 120MM PWM
- Tower: Nox Hummer ZS Blanca

What do you think about this? Thank you very much in advance and I hope to see you soon in a PC league here!!
Best regards

StephenCarry

AOR PC GT3 S14 T2 Champion
Premium Member
Jun 13, 2019
@Chechum

sources up front: myself, been a trained IT-professional for almost 10 years now - German engineering can't be wrong lol :poop: I have spent my first few years putting together PCs, laptops and servers worth 80.000€ week in, week out. Also I'm mod in a huge CSGO forum where we help newbies build and setup PCs on a daily basis :)

something else up front: this is longer than I expected, sorry :D

1. there is no way anybody would want to build a new PC without an SSD in 2019. Mostly loading and operating times, yes, so no "FPS-boost" or anything. But a 500GB SSD will cost you 60-70€, so nothing big and the difference is really awesome...

imagine having windows on an HDD: booting takes 30-40 sec, loading firefox takes 5, loading 2-3 tabs another 5. Loading Steam 10sec. Loading Spotify or your local library another 10. Loading a rather new game another 30. So you're at 2 minutes just for the usual things.
with an SSD? boot 15sec, Steam, Firefox, Spotify all at the same time: 10sec. Loading the game: 10sec.

But it's not loading up stuff - it's switching between them, terminating a program, browsing thru files aaaaaand sooo much mooooore :)

Once you have used an SSD there is no way of going back. It is THE single most advanced PC technology of the last 10 years after all.

2. I would advise for a Ryzen 3600, although it's slightly more expensive. The 2600 is almost 2 Years old now and if you're going to replace it in, say, 2-3 years time you need a completely new mainboard etc. bcs next Gen Ryzen or no later than the ones after that coming in 2021 will be released on a new CPU-socket.

3. Instead of buying a new 1050ti I would recommend buying a used 1060, more power, more VRAM and cheaper. I got mine for 120€ half a year ago. Most of them are around 150€ (even with warranty!) but maybe you're lucky like me :D

4. You certainly don't need a 650W PSU. 450W should be enough, you can calculate it here: https://www.bequiet.com/de/psucalculator

I for example have a 500W PSU for my Ryzen 2700X, GTX1060 (both overclocked), 32GB (4x8) RAM, 1SSD, 2HDD and lots of coolers. And even under full load I'm around 400-420W.

5. That PSU... Nox? never heard of it. But google says it's a cheap spanish product. You DO NOT want to spend 50€ for 650W, that will almost certainly explode within 2 years. Grab 10-20€ more and spend it on a beQuiet or Seasonic. Those will last 10 years :)

6. same goes for the case. You can get really beautiful ones (Corsair Carbide or anything from a good company) for around 50€.

The problem with those cheap cases is their quality: you will break fingernails and rip your hands on the screws, the corners and putting parts in will be a literal pain in the arse.

7. I would suggest looking through eBay and local private sellers for used CPU+mainboard+RAM setups as well, you can find really nice bargains there. But be aware: some idiots are selling PCs worth 200€ for 900€ or so :D

8. Why do you want to spend 50€ for external mounting? It's quite easy - put everything into its place - it can only fit into one! :p Checkout LinusTechTips on Youtube for example, they have a lot of "how to build your PC" videos, which are around 20-30mins long and show everything very clear. There is a very good spanish channel as well but I forgot its name.. (I'm using it sometimes to keep my spanish "good" :D ) And btw: the manual of the mainboard usually has around 10-20 pages of showing exactly what to put where :)

Sure I understand something can be very hard if you've never done it before. But I think with the help of youtube, google and forums this should be a rather easy task. Like changing tyres on your car! :p

• Winner
Reactions: Chechum and Marvin

Chechum

Formula 4 Test Driver
Oct 13, 2018
@Chechum

sources up front: myself, been a trained IT-professional for almost 10 years now - German engineering can't be wrong lol :poop: I have spent my first few years putting together PCs, laptops and servers worth 80.000€ week in, week out. Also I'm mod in a huge CSGO forum where we help newbies build and setup PCs on a daily basis :)

something else up front: this is longer than I expected, sorry :D

1. there is no way anybody would want to build a new PC without an SSD in 2019. Mostly loading and operating times, yes, so no "FPS-boost" or anything. But a 500GB SSD will cost you 60-70€, so nothing big and the difference is really awesome...

imagine having windows on an HDD: booting takes 30-40 sec, loading firefox takes 5, loading 2-3 tabs another 5. Loading Steam 10sec. Loading Spotify or your local library another 10. Loading a rather new game another 30. So you're at 2 minutes just for the usual things.
with an SSD? boot 15sec, Steam, Firefox, Spotify all at the same time: 10sec. Loading the game: 10sec.

But it's not loading up stuff - it's switching between them, terminating a program, browsing thru files aaaaaand sooo much mooooore :)

Once you have used an SSD there is no way of going back. It is THE single most advanced PC technology of the last 10 years after all.

2. I would advise for a Ryzen 3600, although it's slightly more expensive. The 2600 is almost 2 Years old now and if you're going to replace it in, say, 2-3 years time you need a completely new mainboard etc. bcs next Gen Ryzen or no later than the ones after that coming in 2021 will be released on a new CPU-socket.

3. Instead of buying a new 1050ti I would recommend buying a used 1060, more power, more VRAM and cheaper. I got mine for 120€ half a year ago. Most of them are around 150€ (even with warranty!) but maybe you're lucky like me :D

4. You certainly don't need a 650W PSU. 450W should be enough, you can calculate it here: https://www.bequiet.com/de/psucalculator

I for example have a 500W PSU for my Ryzen 2700X, GTX1060 (both overclocked), 32GB (4x8) RAM, 1SSD, 2HDD and lots of coolers. And even under full load I'm around 400-420W.

5. That PSU... Nox? never heard of it. But google says it's a cheap spanish product. You DO NOT want to spend 50€ for 650W, that will almost certainly explode within 2 years. Grab 10-20€ more and spend it on a beQuiet or Seasonic. Those will last 10 years :)

6. same goes for the case. You can get really beautiful ones (Corsair Carbide or anything from a good company) for around 50€.

The problem with those cheap cases is their quality: you will break fingernails and rip your hands on the screws, the corners and putting parts in will be a literal pain in the arse.

7. I would suggest looking through eBay and local private sellers for used CPU+mainboard+RAM setups as well, you can find really nice bargains there. But be aware: some idiots are selling PCs worth 200€ for 900€ or so :D

8. Why do you want to spend 50€ for external mounting? It's quite easy - put everything into its place - it can only fit into one! :p Checkout LinusTechTips on Youtube for example, they have a lot of "how to build your PC" videos, which are around 20-30mins long and show everything very clear. There is a very good spanish channel as well but I forgot its name.. (I'm using it sometimes to keep my spanish "good" :D ) And btw: the manual of the mainboard usually has around 10-20 pages of showing exactly what to put where :)

Sure I understand something can be very hard if you've never done it before. But I think with the help of youtube, google and forums this should be a rather easy task. Like changing tyres on your car! :p
wow mate! thank you so much for your great effort and time on writing this. I'm gonna think about it all, very useful remarks (y)

• Optimistic
Reactions: StephenCarry

StephenCarry

AOR PC GT3 S14 T2 Champion
Premium Member
Jun 13, 2019
no worries mate. Couldn't sleep, woke up at 3.30 AM and didn't have to do anything else than looking through the forums :p

• Funny
Reactions: Chechum

yoda

Junior Karter
Aug 29, 2019
@Chechum StephenCarry summed it up to you pretty nice but the 1060 is also pretty old. Go with a 1650 or a 1660 super there are other cards in that range depending on the budget.
Also these cards dont really heat up for example the 1650. Dont waste money buying card with a huge premium cooler

Reactions: Chechum