What does your perfect sim wheel look like? | ApexOnlineRacing.com

What does your perfect sim wheel look like?

• ANNOUNCEMENT: Sign-ups are OPEN for Season 19 of the AOR Hype Energy F1 Leagues on F1 2019!
    They are closing on 29th February, so be quick! Head to the League Forums for more information.

Jordy van Oosten

F1 2nd Driver
Sep 12, 2016
Hi everyone!

My name is Jordy van Oosten, i am a dutch student in product design and currently tasked with designing a production ready racing wheel that is perfect for the beginner to average sim racer. In order to get to the best design i would like you guys to answer some questions. Feel free to leave some blanks if you're not sure about what to answer.

Many thanx in advance! and for those that are further interested in what i am doing feel free to send me a message!

1 games I play:

2 I am a Male / Female / rather not say from (fill in country).

3 I currently use a (fill in steering wheel).

4 The following buttons are a must on my steering wheel (DRS, pit limiter, etc) fill in as much as necessary.

5 Rotary buttons are (great / awefull).

6 I would use my rotary buttons for: (fill in as much as necessary)

7 I change my wheel when i change game or car. (Yes / No)

8 magnetic paddle shifters are awesome! (Yes / No)

9 I can manage driving without a manual clutch paddle on the wheel itself. (Yes / No)

10 I use some kind of gloves when i am sim racing. (Yes / No)

11 Assuming the wheel is complete and durable, i'd be prepared to pay approximately (.......) Euro / Dollar / GBP for the wheel (excl wheel base).

12 If you have any extras for me, stuff i might have forgotten or things you'd want me to know:

Once again, thankyou a lot for helping me with this!

Last edited:

Shneeb108

Formula 4 Test Driver
May 22, 2017
Hi everyone!

My name is Jordy van Oosten, i am a dutch student in product design and currently tasked with designing a production ready racing wheel that is perfect for the beginner to average sim racer. In order to get to the best design i would like you guys to answer some questions. Feel free to leave some blanks if you're not sure about what to answer, i rather have honest answers than just some randoms.

Many thanx in advance! and for those that are further interested in what i am doing feel free to send me a message!

1 My age: ( 65 )

2 I am a Male (USA)

3 I currently use a (G920 with GTEYE).

4 The following buttons are a must on my steering wheel (DRS, pit limiter, etc) fill in as much as necessary.
DRS
Pit Limit
Adjust tires and Fuel
Call for PIT Stop
Adjust FFB level
PTT
HUD window selection

5 Rotary buttons are ( awkward).

7 I change my wheel when i change game or car. (No)

8 magnetic paddle shifters are awesome! (No)

9 I can manage driving without a manual clutch paddle on the wheel itself. (No)

10 I use some kind of gloves when i am sim racing. (No)

11 Assuming the wheel is complete and durable, i'd be prepared to pay aproximatly (.) Euro / Dollar / GBP for the wheel (excl wheel base).

12 If you have any extras for me, stuff i might have forgotten or things you'd want me to know:
Don't third party the build and assembly
Actually employ a QA Inspector/manager
Employ active customer feedback and support
Release You Tube videos on set up and adjusting

• Happy
Reactions: Jordy van Oosten

MisterJasper

Formula 3 Test Driver
Jun 17, 2018
1 My age: 18
2 I am a Male from the Netherlands

3 I currently use a T300 rs gt

drs
pit limiter
easy engine mode switch

5 Rotary buttons are.

7 I change my wheel when i change game or car. (/ No)

8 magnetic paddle shifters are awesome! (Yes / No)

9 I can manage driving without a manual clutch paddle on the wheel itself. (Yes)

10 I use some kind of gloves when i am sim racing. ( No)

11 Assuming the wheel is complete and durable, i'd be prepared to pay aproximatly (.......) Euro / Dollar / GBP for the wheel (excl wheel base).

Tiliad

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
Jun 27, 2018
1 My age: 16

2 I am a Male from The Netherlands.

3 I currently use a Trustmaster TS-PC racer (with T3PA pedals)

• Pit limiter
  • Select (Like go forward button to accept things in the MFD)
  • Backwards/return (Same purpose as above but in reverse)
  • Engine mode switch
  • 3 like extra programmable buttons
  • DRS
Not necessary but nice to have
1) Instead of 1 engine mode switch --> 2 Engine mode switches, one for engine other one programmable (like all buttons ofc)
2) Extra programmable buttons are always good

5 Rotary buttons are great

1) Brake bias
2) Differential (The one that is changeable in race conditions on F1 2018

7 I change my wheel when i change game or car. No
Since I dont have another wheel, I only have one to work with.

8 magnetic paddle shifters are awesome! IDK
I don't have experience with them.

9 I can manage driving without a manual clutch paddle on the wheel itself. Yes

10 I use some kind of gloves when i am sim racing. No

11 Assuming the wheel is complete and durable, i'd be prepared to pay approximately (150-200) Euro for the wheel (excl wheel base).
Assumed you take everything from my suggestion ofc, otherwise it depends what is on it.

I wonder if this is out of curiosity do you need any testers :), I'm willing to test it out if it fits on my wheel base :)

Nitpicking here but it stood out to me: 'aproximatly' you wrote this wrong in the form in your post, it should be approximately. Don't want to sound rude, sorry.

For everything else thumbs up! It looks really cool, seems like a great product/idea to work on!

Last edited:

Jordy van Oosten

F1 2nd Driver
Sep 12, 2016
1 My age: 16

2 I am a Male from The Netherlands.

3 I currently use a Trustmaster TS-PC racer (with T3PA pedals)

• Pit limiter
  • Select (Like go forward button to accept things in the MFD)
  • Backwards/return (Same purpose as above but in reverse)
  • Engine mode switch
  • 3 like extra programmable buttons
  • DRS
Not necessary but nice to have
1) Instead of 1 engine mode switch --> 2 Engine mode switches, one for engine other one programmable (like all buttons ofc)
2) Extra programmable buttons are always good

1) Brake bias
2) Differential (The one that is changeable in race conditions on F1 2018

Since I dont have another wheel, I only have one to work with.

8 magnetic paddle shifters are awesome! IDK
I don't have experience with them.

10 I use some kind of gloves when i am sim racing. No

11 Assuming the wheel is complete and durable, i'd be prepared to pay approximately (150-200) Euro for the wheel (excl wheel base).
Assumed you take everything from my suggestion ofc, otherwise it depends what is on it.

I wonder if this is out of curiosity do you need any testers :), I'm willing to test it out if it fits on my wheel base :)

Nitpicking here but it stood out to me: 'aproximatly' you wrote this wrong in the form in your post, it should be approximately. Don't want to sound rude, sorry.

For everything else thumbs up! It looks really cool, seems like a great product/idea to work on!
thank you for the reply Tiliad! and a very good one on the "approximatly" had not noticed it before.
Also, the wheel does need to be tested of course. however i am still in my "research" phase of my project, before i actually have a working model is going to take some time, but i will keep you up to date!

Tiliad

Formula 4 Reserve Driver
Jun 27, 2018
Np! Hope I helped out a bit, good luck on designing and getting it to work!

RedTerrier

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 4, 2019
My age: err... 40+.

2 I am a Male (UK).

3 I currently use a (T300).

Essential (won't consider without ability to do following):
Reset centre view (for head-tracker) which 'drifts'
Pit limiter
flash lights
wiper
radio PTT
call for pit stop
in game strategy selection (for adjusting pit stop) then 4 way switch to select/adjust pit strategy
scroll HUD modes

Desirable:
brake balance adjustment
TC adjustment
ABS adjustment
FFB adjustment on the go
good tactile feel (and different tactile types to help identification) and spacing of buttons to allow easy use for if/when I can afford VR.
radio tx for CrewChief (in addition to radio PTT for discord comms)

5 Rotary buttons are (never had any).

TC
ABS
Brake balance
FFB adjustments

7 I change my wheel when i change game or car. (No)

8 magnetic paddle shifters are awesome! (Yes / No) Never tried them

9 I can manage driving without a manual clutch paddle on the wheel itself. (Yes - because I have foot clutch)

10 I use some kind of gloves when i am sim racing. (Sometimes for long races)

11 Assuming the wheel is complete and durable, i'd be prepared to pay approximately (.....) Euro / Dollar / GBP for the wheel (excl wheel base).

30 cm diameter nice for non-formula wheels
must be comfortable for long use (either Alcantara or rubber grips)
ideally buttons / rotaries suitable for VR use
adjustable paddle positions - I'd consider paying a bit extra to be able to adjust paddle positions to fit my hands
look and feel of a real wheel - not a toy (ie not crazy colour scheme). any colours on a real wheel are to help identify buttons etc not decoration

Hope this helps!

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
1 games I play:
Project Cars 2
Assetto Corsa
rFactor 2
F1 2018
DiRT Rally 2.0
..and many many more that aren't racing sims :)

2 I am a Male from Denmark.

3 I currently use a Thrustmaster T300 Alcantantara Edition (T300 with Ferrari 599XX EVO rim) + T3PA pedals + TH8A shifter.

4 The following buttons are a must on my steering wheel.
Lights on/off
Pit limiter
Traction control modes
ABS modes
Pause
HUD modes

6 I would use my rotary buttons for:
Engine mode increase/decrease
Traction control increase/decrease
ABS increase/decrease

7 I change my wheel when i change game or car. No (although if I had different rims I would change them depending on which cars in drive for the sake of immersion)

8 magnetic paddle shifters are awesome! Not sure (literally only just learned that that was a thing. But I never tried using magnetic paddles, only regular ones)

10 I use some kind of gloves when i am sim racing. Yes

11 Assuming the wheel is complete and durable, i'd be prepared to pay approximately 300 Euro for the wheel (excl wheel base).

Jordy van Oosten

F1 2nd Driver
Sep 12, 2016
1 games I play:
Project Cars 2
Assetto Corsa
rFactor 2
F1 2018
DiRT Rally 2.0
..and many many more that aren't racing sims :)

2 I am a Male from Denmark.

3 I currently use a Thrustmaster T300 Alcantantara Edition (T300 with Ferrari 599XX EVO rim) + T3PA pedals + TH8A shifter.

4 The following buttons are a must on my steering wheel.
Lights on/off
Pit limiter
Traction control modes
ABS modes
Pause
HUD modes

6 I would use my rotary buttons for:
Engine mode increase/decrease
Traction control increase/decrease
ABS increase/decrease

7 I change my wheel when i change game or car. No (although if I had different rims I would change them depending on which cars in drive for the sake of immersion)

8 magnetic paddle shifters are awesome! Not sure (literally only just learned that that was a thing. But I never tried using magnetic paddles, only regular ones)

10 I use some kind of gloves when i am sim racing. Yes

11 Assuming the wheel is complete and durable, i'd be prepared to pay approximately 300 Euro for the wheel (excl wheel base).
many thanx for the reply.
Would you say the alcantra grip on the wheel you currently use, is of any extra value to the sim racing experience you have? or is it just a nice extra feature?
And you say you would change wheels if you had any others, so i would understand ( im designing a formula/endurance wheel) you would switch it out if youre driving another type of car?

Marvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 6, 2016
1 games I play:
iRacing (primarily)
PCars2
ACC
Dirt Rally 2.0

2 I am a Male from Netherlands.

3 I currently use the Fanatec McLaren rim.

DRS
Pit Limiter
Look left/right (symmetrical)
Menu select stick (like the Fanatec funky switch)
Push to talk

5 Rotary buttons are (great).

Brake Bias
Deployment modes etc.
Browsing through iRacing black boxes

At least 2 of them should be reachable without removing hands from the normal position.

Only have the McLaren wheel, but would be awesome to have a round wheel for other racing disciplines.

8 magnetic paddle shifters are awesome! (Yes, probably)
Never tried it, but should be nice to have. In no way a must tho.

9 I can manage driving without a manual clutch paddle on the wheel itself. (Yes )
Have a pedal clutch, so no must.

11 Assuming the wheel is complete and durable, i'd be prepared to pay approximately (.......) Euro / Dollar / GBP for the wheel (excl wheel base).

LED's or a screen is always a great addition
Realistic look is important to me

Last edited:

Jordy van Oosten

F1 2nd Driver
Sep 12, 2016
1 games I play:
iRacing (primarily)
PCars2
ACC
Dirt Rally 2.0

2 I am a Male from Netherlands.

3 I currently use the Fanatec McLaren rim.

DRS
Pit Limiter
Look left/right (symmetrical)
Menu select stick (like the Fanatec funky switch)
Push to talk

5 Rotary buttons are (great).

Brake Bias
Deployment modes etc.
Browsing through iRacing black boxes

At least 2 of them should be reachable without removing hands from the normal position.

Only have the McLaren wheel, but would be awesome to have a round wheel for other racing disciplines.

8 magnetic paddle shifters are awesome! (Yes, probably)
Never tried it, but should be nice to have. In no way a must tho.

9 I can manage driving without a manual clutch paddle on the wheel itself. (Yes )
Have a pedal clutch, so no must.

LED's or a screen is always a great addition
Realistic look is important to me
thankyou marvin!
however it will be a formula style wheel (i should have said that at the top of the post).
what made you choose the fanatec mclaren wheel at the moment of purchase??? im curious

Marvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
iRacing Coordinator
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Aug 6, 2016
What made you choose the fanatec mclaren wheel at the moment of purchase???
Basically because it was a lot cheaper than the Porsche rim. Also looks really nice, is a replica, has a lot buttons/rotary switches and is versatile (good diameter). Better quality than the Fanatec P1 rims.

Had to be a Fanatec rim btw as I wanted a Fanatec system.

• Informative

TicklishPicklewickle

Staff member
PCARS Coordinator
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2016
Would you say the alcantra grip on the wheel you currently use, is of any extra value to the sim racing experience you have? or is it just a nice extra feature?
There is definitely some sort of quality of comfort in the alcantara grip as it feels much better in your hands compared to the plasticy/leatherish default rim. If I had some sort of direct drive wheel with bottloads of FFB, maybe the grip would help me control the wheel better, but when it is "just" a belt driven wheel base, I don't feel much of a difference in that department.
And you say you would change wheels if you had any others, so i would understand ( im designing a formula/endurance wheel) you would switch it out if youre driving another type of car?
Well I would probably try and replicate the wheel of the current car I'm driving in. Say I hop on F1 2018 with a formula style rim and then do PC2 in the Porsche 911 RSR GTE car. I would probably not switch wheels in that case, since the wheel in the Porsche car is very much shaped like a formula wheel. But say I was driving a road car with a circular wheel, I would definitely change the rim out for something circular instead

LeoNTheSickOne

AOR Project CARS Snow Champion 2019
Jan 17, 2018
1 games I play:
... Project Cars 2
... RaceRoom
... Assetto Corsa
... Assetto Corsa Comeptizione
... Tried iracing and would probably in the future buy it.

2 I am a Male

3 I currently use a G29 + Fanatec Podium DD 1 with Mclaren GT3 + F1 2019 limited edition steering wheel which will be released in a month or so

... Loads of buttons that are easily accessible. Doesnt matter if they are already labeled. In matter of fact its way better if they are not labeled. The pit limiter of fanatec mclaren wheel is great tho

5 Rotary buttons are (great

... Traction control
... ABS
... Fuel map

... and probably a lot of other options

7 I change my wheel when i change game or car. (No, but i would change from lmp to GT etc.

8 magnetic paddle shifters are awesome! (Yes

9 I can manage driving without a manual clutch paddle on the wheel itself. (Yes

10 I use some kind of gloves when i am sim racing. (no

11 Assuming the wheel is complete and durable, i'd be prepared to pay approximately (200-450 depending on how it looks.

12 The most important thing for me is definitely the look of the wheel. I want a really beautiful wheel with colors and great modell. if that is completed id pay way more than i would if it was the same wheel but not sexy xD

Jordy van Oosten

F1 2nd Driver
Sep 12, 2016
1 games I play:
... Project Cars 2
... RaceRoom
... Assetto Corsa
... Assetto Corsa Comeptizione
... Tried iracing and would probably in the future buy it.

2 I am a Male

3 I currently use a G29 + Fanatec Podium DD 1 with Mclaren GT3 + F1 2019 limited edition steering wheel which will be released in a month or so

... Loads of buttons that are easily accessible. Doesnt matter if they are already labeled. In matter of fact its way better if they are not labeled. The pit limiter of fanatec mclaren wheel is great tho

5 Rotary buttons are (great

... Traction control
... ABS
... Fuel map

... and probably a lot of other options

7 I change my wheel when i change game or car. (No, but i would change from lmp to GT etc.

8 magnetic paddle shifters are awesome! (Yes

9 I can manage driving without a manual clutch paddle on the wheel itself. (Yes

10 I use some kind of gloves when i am sim racing. (no

11 Assuming the wheel is complete and durable, i'd be prepared to pay approximately (200-450 depending on how it looks.

12 The most important thing for me is definitely the look of the wheel. I want a really beautiful wheel with colors and great modell. if that is completed id pay way more than i would if it was the same wheel but not sexy xD
Thank you!

Xeonski

Assetto Corsa Coordinator
Staff member
AC Coordinator
May 16, 2018
1 games I play:
... Project Cars 2
... Assetto Corsa Competizione
... F1 2017

2 I am a Male from France.

3 I currently use a Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 Wheel Base + Fanatec CSL Elite Pedals + Fanatec CSL Elite McLaren GT3.

Pit limiter
Light/Flasher
Whipers
ABS/traction control adjustments
Radio button (for discord or crewchief)

5 Rotary buttons are great.

... Engine mode
... ABS
... Traction Control
... Pit Strategy

7 I change my wheel when i change game or car. No but i would if i had another wheel (Euro truck simulator on a mclaren gt3 wheel is a challenge to park)

8 magnetic paddle shifters are awesome! I don't know what these are but i'm happy with my paddle so i would say no

9 I can manage driving without a manual clutch paddle on the wheel itself. Yes it is clearly not necessary

10 I use some kind of gloves when i am sim racing. Yes because i don't like the texture of my wheel (and the one from my precedent, a driving force gt) and i don't like the sensation of the wheel getting hot under my hands

11 Assuming the wheel is complete and durable, i'd be prepared to pay approximately 250 Euro / Dollar / GBP for the wheel (excl wheel base).

There is never enough button, with macros we can all make them useful, for the rotary i think that 2 is too short, i think that three would be the minimum (Engine mode/ABS/Traction control)

Jordy van Oosten

F1 2nd Driver
Sep 12, 2016
first of all, thanks again for your replies! you may not have been with many but it definitly helped me out a lot trying to figure out what features were going to be important on the wheel.

But now here i am, with a question. There are quite a few different kinds of shifter paddles, now i want to know which one would you prefer. I've made a few simple sketches with simple outlines to determine the best possible shape.

so let me know, which one would you prefer, and is there a shape you would definitley not recommend. (yes i know number 4 looks like a pair of underpants, and 21 is just an arrow haha)

Xeonski

Assetto Corsa Coordinator
Staff member
AC Coordinator
May 16, 2018
For me something like 11, 13, 15, 17 or 18 just a simple shape but with a large surface

RedTerrier

Formula 4 Test Driver
Jan 4, 2019
large and at same dist from wheel rim all way round (so even if my grip changes and my hand moves with reference to the wheel, the shifter paddle is aways same distance from wheel rim to aid location and feel. So 1, 10, 12 for me. Ability to adjust distance from wheel is useful to accommodate different sizes of fingers.

Jordy van Oosten

F1 2nd Driver
Sep 12, 2016
as promised i would keep you guys a little up to date. as of now i have a main design that im finishing up on. after this is done i can go about starting to build one in real life.

Attachments