When will the F1 2020 season start? | ApexOnlineRacing.com

When will the F1 2020 season start?

When will the season start?

• Monaco (May 24th)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Azerbaijan (June 7th)

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Canada (June 14th) or France (June 28th)

• Austria (July 5th) or Great Britain (July 19th)

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Hungary (August 6th) or later

• No races this year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Well with F1 on indefinite hold the question now is when and where do you think the season will begin?

I've made a poll so feel free to vote, but due to the high likelihood that Holland and Spain will also be announced as 'postponed' soon the earliest chance of a race is currently Monaco. (even though I suspect that's highly unlikely)

However though if your the equiavlent of captain pessimistic then I've also given you basically the 'nuclear F1 doomsday' voting option of 'no races this year'.:eek:

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Either they start by CAN or void the year. They could do an 8 race season but I doubt it somehow.

A CAN start means stick to the program and throw Zandvoort in the traditional break. I don't think the other tracks have that kind of flexibility given seasonal conditions or other bookings.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Well officially Holland & Spain have now joined the ever growing list of postponements in the F1 calendar, but for those that voted for Monaco as the first race well that has joined Australia as cancelled this season.

Either they start by CAN or void the year. They could do an 8 race season but I doubt it somehow.

A CAN start means stick to the program and throw Zandvoort in the traditional break. I don't think the other tracks have that kind of flexibility given seasonal conditions or other bookings.
I get the feeling that Liberty would only void the season if it got to end of September and no races have happened, yet if the season was to get going by Belgium then Liberty will highly likely go into calendar race cramming overdrive ie: a 2020-21 season and a crammed 2021 season.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Well officially Holland & Spain have now joined the ever growing list of postponements in the F1 calendar, but for those that voted for Monaco as the first race well that has joined Australia as cancelled this season.

I get the feeling that Liberty would only void the season if it got to end of September and no races have happened, yet if the season was to get going by Belgium then Liberty will highly likely go into calendar race cramming overdrive ie: a 2020-21 season and a crammed 2021 season.
The cadence is important. Too many races too close together will lead to saturation and TV popularity will wane. They can't hold the races at short notice without majorly affecting the fanbase who attend. Get this wrong and the sport's popularity will dip again. Most were awaiting the 2021 regulations change to see if it can shake up the order. With this on the back burner then who knows how badly it will fare?

• Agree
Reactions: Wobbuffet

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
The cadence is important. Too many races too close together will lead to saturation and TV popularity will wane. They can't hold the races at short notice without majorly affecting the fanbase who attend. Get this wrong and the sport's popularity will dip again. Most were awaiting the 2021 regulations change to see if it can shake up the order. With this on the back burner then who knows how badly it will fare?
Yeah with the regs being put back a year, it currently gives us fans in general the prospect of 2 seasons where only 3 teams out of the 10 can win a race (if this season does happen), which ain't good for the sport - sure its improved the last 3 years but these new regs are desperately needed to hopefully shake things up, close up the field more, give better racing and in turn hopefully give us at least 4 or 5 teams capable of winning races and a more open championship.

With the calendar situation as you said its not good to potentially have so many in such a short space of time, theres also the other issue of the work load it places on the staff of the teams themselves.
They were already reports of them being angered when they found out the summer break was moved to March/April, so I can't been to imagine the reaction if they suddenly face the prospect of 30-40 races in the space of 15 months. (A scenario like that could potentially lead to strike action)

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014

Goodbye 2020, hello 2021.

Reactions: AWDTurboGuy

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Goodbye 2020, hello 2021.
Well considering Brawn was saying there prepared to give it until October, that's more or less likely them saying a '2020 season' will happen come hell or high water.

Though I don't see how they can have any kind of diverse calendar considering most circuits will be in their winter season, like for example they couldn't honestly hold Canada at all from October - January.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Well considering Brawn was saying there prepared to give it until October, that's more or less likely them saying a '2020 season' will happen come hell or high water.

Though I don't see how they can have any kind of diverse calendar considering most circuits will be in their winter season, like for example they couldn't honestly hold Canada at all from October - January.
It won't. 2020 fugheddaboudit

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Brawn: "As many as 19 races if we start by July". I have no stomach for such a slog, plus it's not fair on the teams nor socially responsible.

Without doubt money is the only motivation for Liberty and this stance, but I can't blame them to a degree as lets face facts no money or revenue for any body involved (owners, teams etc) this year puts the sport itself at risk.
While I'm no expert in finance it stands to reason everybody involved in F1 has automatically factored there expected minimum income for 2020 into there budgets for the year, and the fact that Liberty & the teams haven't received a penny yet is going to make them nervous and desperate.

Its why they've kept banging on the 'we're still going to have 15-19 races this year' drum, even if we all know there talking bóllocks you've only got to look at Liberty's F1 share price to see how much damage the coronavirus outbreak combined with the postponement of races has already done to Liberty and F1's value in these past 2 months. (the share price has basically halved in that time)

If Brawn or Carey was to come out and say 'oh it looks bad and grim for F1 this year and theres unlikely to be a championship this year' then Liberty's share price would crash through the floor, that's why they have to put out the same nonsense message about loads of races still happening - as its a positive one and one financial markets like to hear.

Sadly in the short-term the world is now heading for one of the biggest recession's its ever seen, theres going to be a lot of financial shortfalls in not just lots of sports but across the whole world in general and in reality a sport like F1 is going to be pretty low on the worlds priority list, so if teams were to start hitting severe financial difficulties in the near future then there is no chance of a bailout or takeover for them currently.

And car manufacturers like Mercedes, Renault, Alfa Romeo and yes even Ferrari wouldn't hesitate to pull the plug on there F1 divisions, if its pushing those companies towards bankruptcy.
Sure F1 is important to them but not to the extent where they would happily stay on a ship heading towards a massive iceberg.

At the end of the day I'm just being a realist about this now, and make no mistake F1 itself is now in a fight for its future, its why Liberty are desperate to run any kind of season this year whether they cram in a bunch of races or do multiple 2 gp's a weekend, and even if doing a season this year is detrimental in the world's fight against the coronavirus - Liberty main goal and focus right now is trying to protect there $4.4billion investment.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
French GP become the 10th casualty of this season but its been cancelled not postponed, it means it just the 3rd race to join the cancelled category.

However Liberty announced there target calendar for this year and are now targeting a July start with consecutive back to back double headers at Austria and Britain in July to start the season:

If (and its a big if) we do indeed get a calendar like this and Liberty do get at least 16 races, then I'll feel sorry for the regular team personnel who are going to be faced with extremely heavy work load from July to December.

Reactions: AWDTurboGuy

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
French GP become the 10th casualty of this season but its been cancelled not postponed, it means it just the 3rd race to join the cancelled category.

However Liberty announced there target calendar for this year and are now targeting a July start with consecutive back to back double headers at Austria and Britain in July to start the season:

If (and its a big if) we do indeed get a calendar like this and Liberty do get at least 16 races, then I'll feel sorry for the regular team personnel who are going to be faced with extremely heavy work load from July to December.
I just think this is the money forcing things. 2021 will suffer as a result, no way back to the original dates just like that.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
A articles here that will surely affect the chances of a double header happening for both Austria and Silverstone:

Then this article from last night:

I know Brawn has the idea of a 'biosphere' for F1 where each team and its staff will be separate and have its own hotel and testing every 2 days, but I don't see/read any mention of drivers as well in that plan, unless there assuming Hamilton and co. will be happy to be stuck in hotels isolating for weeks on end between each GP.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Well Liberty's planned double header British GP's are now under serious threat due to the governments soon to be implemented quarantine for nearly all international air travellers:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52723200

Regardless of whether it goes ahead or not the bigger issue is surely the fact that with 7 of the 10 F1 teams based in the UK, all team personal realistically won't be able to return to UK after GP's as they'll get put in quarantine, it means team staff are going to be forced to stay overseas for a while.

Of course this situation is continuously changing week to week but for Liberty time is not on there side with this, as they intended to start announcing there confirmed updated calendar this week before the UK government made this decision.

Steve Jackson

AOR Legend
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014
Well Liberty's planned double header British GP's are now under serious threat due to the governments soon to be implemented quarantine for nearly all international air travellers:

Regardless of whether it goes ahead or not the bigger issue is surely the fact that with 7 of the 10 F1 teams based in the UK, all team personal realistically won't be able to return to UK after GP's as they'll get put in quarantine, it means team staff are going to be forced to stay overseas for a while.

Of course this situation is continuously changing week to week but for Liberty time is not on there side with this, as they intended to start announcing there confirmed updated calendar this week before the UK government made this decision.
What did I say?

It won't. 2020 fugheddaboudit

iJokeri22

Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2014

What did I say?
Seems to be changing almost daily atm but right now its looking more promising once again.

Wobbuffet

F1 Senna Equivalent
May 20, 2016
Seems to be changing almost daily atm but right now its looking more promising once again.
This situation (Brit GP) will no doubt keep changing over the coming days and weeks, they have already stated that the dates of both races have already been moved back a week and it seems like Liberty are giving as much flexibility as possible for the British races to happen.

I get the feeling it will happen but I think both races will take place in mid/late August rather then the current planned end of July/early August.

4 races though that will likely be massive issues to go ahead has to be Brazil, due to the prediction that there'll become probably now one of the worst effected countries of covid-19, USA for there early end of there lockdown now running the risk of a second wave happening, Mexico in turn potentially at a bigger risk as a result and then you have Canada where that race's biggest issue could be the weather - if Liberty plan to have Canada in October then that brings potential snow into the equation.:LOL:

Either way I think Liberty will be hard pressed to make a race happen in either North or South America this year, if Liberty are able to get there way we might now very well end up with the first 6 races being 3 double headers - RBR, Hockenheim & Silverstone.